Begging For 4K Ui Scaling

51 replies to this topic

Poll: Is a 4k UI important to you? (186 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you care about a 4k UI?

1. Yes (161 votes [86.56%])

Percentage of vote: 86.56%

2. No (25 votes [13.44%])

Percentage of vote: 13.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

Please. I'm probably not alone here. It is now nearing the end of 2017. A ridiculously large amount of people have embraced 4k. It is the natural evolution of technology. MWO is behind the curve. The lack of a properly scaled UI at 4k resolution has seriously decreased my playing time. It is just too frustrating to have to sit 16" away from my monitor to talk in chat or work in the mechlab or skill trees. The game engine supports it. It would probably double the time I spend playing this game. Look up the rate of adoption for 4k. It's multiple times higher than the rate of adoption was for HD. Gamers are also almost always early adopters. I would wager that probably 25-35% of this game's playerbase owns at least one UHD/4k capable monitor or tv. Ill include a poll here for giggles-

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:26 PM

il care when the game can be run at 4k and still be playable.

#3 CMetz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 289 posts
  • LocationCortlandt Manor, NY

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

I run 70-80 fps depending on the map. i7-7700k at 5.0 GHz and a gtx 1080ti with everything maxxed out and fxaa. Can't do it with msaa, but its damn playable for those of us with the hardware.

#4 ChaoticUrlond

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 108 posts
  • LocationMythical Land of Potatoes

Posted 28 August 2017 - 02:35 PM

That feel with a 27" 4k Monitor, game supports 4k, but the GUI doesn't scale.

#5 tRens

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:49 AM

in addition it would be nice to be able to increase the font size or UI scale while working in the mechlab.

#6 TheFallOfTheReaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

Thumbs down the 4K vote, plus three for the font changer/size, 4K would be nice but can the engine hold its **** together while scaled up like that?

#7 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

FYI: Blurgle postet in the Steam forums a solution for the 4k GUI problem
http://steamcommunit...82338942611246/
tldr: set your windows scaling to 100%

Oh, and toms hardware did a "Can it run Crysis ?" GPU check 10 years after release of the first Crysis.
tldr: Crysis doesn't use more than "one and a half" CPU core and you want a "5 GHZ CPU" and a 1080ti to run it in 4k Posted Image
http://www.tomshardw...rks,5329-4.html
http://www.tomshardw...zen,5335-6.html

#8 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 27 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

I would prefer a couple of new maps than working on 4k.

#9 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 07:01 PM

>MWO
>UI improvements
Choose one.

#10 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 04:03 AM

i play on 1440p and mechlab scaling is way too tiny. way too much unused space, too.
ingame its ok for me

#11 Herz aus Stahl

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:57 AM

View PostAlreech, on 27 November 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

FYI: Blurgle postet in the Steam forums a solution for the 4k GUI problem
http://steamcommunit...82338942611246/
tldr: set your windows scaling to 100%

Oh, and toms hardware did a "Can it run Crysis ?" GPU check 10 years after release of the first Crysis.
tldr: Crysis doesn't use more than "one and a half" CPU core and you want a "5 GHZ CPU" and a 1080ti to run it in 4k Posted Image
http://www.tomshardw...rks,5329-4.html
http://www.tomshardw...zen,5335-6.html

Nope, doesn't help at all...

#12 connta

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 24 May 2018 - 11:37 PM

View PostShadowHimself McEvedy, on 27 September 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

Thumbs down the 4K vote, plus three for the font changer/size, 4K would be nice but can the engine hold its **** together while scaled up like that?

this is like the most uneducated response i seen in years... can the engine run the game at 4k? it can, flawlessly, a lot of us are playing at 4k for a while now and it is not your place to worry about it even more down vote... what are you even down voting, do you know? the ui doesnt scale after 1080p which is kinda bad, at 4k it is so tiny its stupid... the new BATTLETECH game has it right, their mechlab is a pleasure to work with in 4k and i think MWO should follow... it really isnt a big request development vise and it will not hurt anyone, change anything, create disbalance for you to down vote it...

and it shows how much you know thinking that ui scaling will impact the game engine to the point of "can the engine hold its **** together while scaled up like that?"... no, the ui scaling will not impact the engine one god damn lil bit but without knowing one bit about the subject you feel entitled to down vote...

jesus, ppl are ******

#13 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 21 July 2018 - 07:42 PM

My vote: No.

Because I answered the question posed in the poll of "do you care", and no... I don't care about it. It's going to be a very long time before I care about 4k in a game. I'll care about it about the same time they come out with a 4k@120Hz screen with <2MS response time and HDR for under $300.

#14 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 09:16 AM

I can think of hundreds of fixes and feature additions that serve the major population of players vastly better than catering to the hardware elitists already having a better experience than the rest. "Booo, I play this game on a multi thousand dollar high end pc with a high end graphics card on a display that half the player base can't afford, but I'm upset that the text is hard to read from my couch."

Right after they re-texture HPG to not look like a mile of grey plaid, fix ATMs and HGs, cut that stupid brush guard off the phoenix locust, line that one out of place ramp up with the ground in mining collective, color code chassis perks, redo the launch mechanics for solaris, and on and on; priorities.

#15 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 07 September 2018 - 09:15 AM

4K?

I'm fine with 2K, due to more FPS :D

Anyway HiDPI scaling would be nice ;)

#16 HARDKOR

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 08:39 AM

Are these sub 30" 4k monitors? It looks fine on my 34" ultrawide and thats the same number of pixels...

#17 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 28 October 2018 - 08:39 AM, said:

Are these sub 30" 4k monitors? It looks fine on my 34" ultrawide and thats the same number of pixels...

More like sub 27" 4K monitors.. top of their line.. (chuckles)

But even that, from reading up on the issues PGI had with Cryengine's Scaleform, any changes would not be "scalable" but they would have to have a preset UI. The issue one would run into then is for what resolutions, ie what happens with those running triple ultrawide monitors, etc.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 29 October 2018 - 05:14 AM.

#18 Serpentbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 485 posts
  • LocationVanvikan, Norway

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:06 AM

View PostOP8, on 06 September 2018 - 09:16 AM, said:

I can think of hundreds of fixes and feature additions that serve the major population of players vastly better than catering to the hardware elitists already having a better experience than the rest. "Booo, I play this game on a multi thousand dollar high end pc with a high end graphics card on a display that half the player base can't afford, but I'm upset that the text is hard to read from my couch."

Yeah, those frakkes with enough money to buy those riggs. Damn them, don't care if they are also the same people spending 400$ a year on MWO... Why should you care?

#19 Caboose30

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 880 posts
  • LocationNorthern Michigan

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:21 PM

View PostSerpentbane, on 29 October 2018 - 03:06 AM, said:

Yeah, those frakkes with enough money to buy those riggs. Damn them, don't care if they are also the same people spending 400$ a year on MWO... Why should you care?

I did it with a 6-core AMD processor and an RX 480. MechLab runs fine, and the game itself did too. Was a hell of a time trying to change it back though.

#20 cyclist1994

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

My personal recommendation would be to set the resolution to a factor of 0.5 to your vertical/horizontal pixel count.
That way the image stays sharp and you double the size of the GUI elements.
I play 1440p, and the GUI is just a little to small imho. Switching to 720p let's the image become to much of a pixel mess (obviously), so i live with 1440p and a small GUI.
But if your screen is 4k, your quartered pixel matrix should be similar to 1080, which is sufficient in sharpness and GUI scaling.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users