8V8 Quick Play Forever!

47 replies to this topic

#1 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:14 PM

Please, PGI, for the love of all that is holy, unholy, and somewhere in between and also everything awesome PLEASE, PLEASE, RETURN US TO 8V8 FOR QUICK PLAY!

8v8
Fewer mechs means that each pilot counts. TTK is increased and maybe it'll encourage more teamwork among them!
It'll help matchmaker. Needing to shove in 33% less players means that it can be more selective.
Perhaps new strategies and better planning will be required. The tighter a group is, the more inclined they'll be to stick together and live.
PGI will, undoubtedly, increase C-bill earnings to compensate.
Higher chance to be surprised by an enemy pilot, which could be devastating and give Lights an indirect buff.
Hardcore players will also, undoubtedly, appreciate that they have an easier time finding and dropping with their buddies.

12v12
Has no pros other than costing fewer resources, technically speaking, on PGI but if the match size can be changed by clicking a button then how much is it really saving them?

I also look forward to seeing 1v1 and 2v2 Solaris.

#2 DivineTomatoes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 307 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

No thanks.

I don't like the idea of getting stomped because both the assaults decided to bring Lrms, or maybe there's a window licker or two. At least in 12v12 you have people to take in the slack.

#3 Gierling

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 313 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:22 PM

How bout 8v8v8 as an option

#4 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,014 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:25 PM

seems the idea has been out for awhile

https://soundcloud.c...s-no-galaxy-140

#5 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:50 PM

The current waiting times are a joke so I thoroughly support 8vs8. I still have to play a mobile phone game while waiting for my PC game to find a match. Oddly enough FW seems to insta-join me into a match which is very welcomed.

#6 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:08 PM

I am looking forward to the return of 8v8.

#7 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:42 AM

Posted Image

#8 spottiedogman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 174 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 August 2017 - 03:55 AM

I just wonder how many of those whining about going back to 8v8 ever played it in the first place. I for one am all for it, it played better and with the lower number of players it will help the mm. Just maybe it will make games more balanced on skill level as well.

#9 Vincent DIFrancesco

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 167 posts
  • LocationHiding behind a rock, waiting for the "rain" to stop.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 04:11 AM

Honestly, I thought he matches played better back when it was 8v8. But then, we also had smaller maps.

SHRINK ALL THE THINGS! :-)

#10 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:02 AM

8v8 with a huge chance of having one person on each team being forced to go try hard because they have to carry? No thanks. Until the matchmaker is fixed where overall efficiency is taken into account there is no point to go back other than people want to get into matches faster with no concern on the quality of matches. Most matches are absolute crap now, they will still be just as bad or even worse later.

#11 Methanoid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 360 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:05 AM

View PostThe Unstoppable Puggernaut, on 24 August 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

The current waiting times are a joke so I thoroughly support 8vs8. I still have to play a mobile phone game while waiting for my PC game to find a match. Oddly enough FW seems to insta-join me into a match which is very welcomed.

their a joke for CP/FP, since when did QP have issues, CP/FP are the ones that have MUCH higher wait times if anything those are the ones that require alteration, QP is fine as it is.

#12 Savage Wolf

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationÅrhus, Denmark

Posted 25 August 2017 - 05:17 AM

View PostMadRover, on 25 August 2017 - 05:02 AM, said:

8v8 with a huge chance of having one person on each team being forced to go try hard because they have to carry? No thanks. Until the matchmaker is fixed where overall efficiency is taken into account there is no point to go back other than people want to get into matches faster with no concern on the quality of matches. Most matches are absolute crap now, they will still be just as bad or even worse later.

It will also make it easier for the matchmaker to do it's job and easier for one guy to carry a team.

But yeah, matchmaker, ranking, rewards and scoring still needs to be fixed.

#13 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostMadRover, on 25 August 2017 - 05:02 AM, said:

The matchmaker will have a higher chance to match players correctly. There will be more space on the maps to move around, there's a small chance to be teamed up with potatoes. There's smaller chances of having disconnects. How will 8 vs. 8 be worse again?

#14 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

View PostYellonet, on 25 August 2017 - 06:15 AM, said:

The matchmaker will have a higher chance to match players correctly. There will be more space on the maps to move around, there's a small chance to be teamed up with potatoes. There's smaller chances of having disconnects. How will 8 vs. 8 be worse again?

Disconnects will be fewer but have a higher impact. There's a smaller chance to have a potato on your team but a potato will have a larger negative impact as it occupies 1/8 of the team instead of 1/12. There's a lot of trade-offs between 8v8 and 12v12, but the issues that are pushing me in favor of 8v8 are allowing me as an individual to have a greater impact on the game I'm in, and the huge performance boost of removing two lances from the game.

I'm seriously looking forward to an 8v8 test for a more solid comparison.

#15 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:33 AM

View PostSavage Wolf, on 25 August 2017 - 05:17 AM, said:

easier for one guy to carry a team.

Teams needing to be carried on a team based game should not occur often. It usually goes to having to deal with elitists who will say "I carried teams to a win every time. Listen to me or you suck" blah blah blah. There's enough games out there that have so many elitists those communities are very toxic. Let's fix the quality and not the quantity of QP first. Also, finding a lobby in FW is a joke not QP. I don't see the matchmaker having trouble finding 24 people in QP but it struggles to find 24 people in FW. Why is that? We all know the answer to that question, so maybe the times for FW needs to be addressed first just saying.

Let me put this into perspective.

Me as well as others usually waits up to 2min (which is standard waiting time) for the matchmaker to find 24people which doesn't account those times when the game immediately finds a game for those 24people. That's pretty good and while I do think there should be more people on, a 2min wait time is decent. Not the greatest, but decent and gets the job done. Now with the current matchmaker it's usually a game of roulette or poker that makes each game either frustrating or fun but that is because the tier system doesn't do it's job at all. However, we are able to get 24people into a game and play at the very least. So the queue times are working just not the tier system.

Now let's take that into FW where you end up waiting 5min for a lobby AND another 7min for a live drop. That is bad and needs to be looked at (yes I know everyone is still complaining about FW lobby and drop times). Now, for an organized team, chances are they'll get the pugs (especially during events) instead of another organized team which is also bad. So let's get into the pugs shoes in FW. They just wasted a grand total of 30min after getting rofl stomped by an organized team which is awful.

So what should all of this mean? The queue times for QP is not the issue. Also, at least for me, there is the case of the matchmaker woes when one can't win a game because the matchmaker is being cruel. However, the matchmaker is somehow putting potatoes into games where they don't belong because of game time, not efficiency. That is the problem and 8v8 won't solve it.

#16 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 25 August 2017 - 06:29 AM, said:

Disconnects will be fewer but have a higher impact. There's a smaller chance to have a potato on your team but a potato will have a larger negative impact as it occupies 1/8 of the team instead of 1/12. There's a lot of trade-offs between 8v8 and 12v12, but the issues that are pushing me in favor of 8v8 are allowing me as an individual to have a greater impact on the game I'm in, and the huge performance boost of removing two lances from the game.

I'm seriously looking forward to an 8v8 test for a more solid comparison.

Doesn't 1 elite gamer also have a bigger impact, potentially negating the 1 potato? We're looking strictly at the negative aspect and not the positive (or another negative, depending on how you might view the matter.)

#17 MadRover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 568 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:41 PM

View PostSmites, on 25 August 2017 - 10:39 AM, said:

Doesn't 1 elite gamer also have a bigger impact, potentially negating the 1 potato? We're looking strictly at the negative aspect and not the positive (or another negative, depending on how you might view the matter.)

Depends on the opposite team. If they're all competent enough to pilot their mechs properly, then the answer is no and get ready to be rolled over. There is only so much one can do. 12v12 makes one or two potatoes irrelevant but having a full lance of potatoes hurts the team and you can't fix stupid.

#18 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:47 PM

8v8 needs to crash and burn

#19 Smites

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:58 PM

View PostMadRover, on 25 August 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

Depends on the opposite team. If they're all competent enough to pilot their mechs properly, then the answer is no and get ready to be rolled over. There is only so much one can do. 12v12 makes one or two potatoes irrelevant but having a full lance of potatoes hurts the team and you can't fix stupid.

Yeah, I think the problem is we're assuming one-sided teams which will happen in 8v8 and 12v12. Ideally, with 8v8, that will help the matchmaker sort better players in with eachother more regularly than 12v12 can given the current sample size. There will still be 12-1 but it'll hopefully lead to more balanced teams and thus balanced matches.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,748 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

View PostVincent DIFrancesco, on 25 August 2017 - 04:11 AM, said:

Honestly, I thought he matches played better back when it was 8v8. But then, we also had smaller maps.

SHRINK ALL THE THINGS! :-)

Back then we didnt have Clan mechs but we did have Atlas pilots set for brawling complaining about poptarts Highlanders w/no power up Gauss Rifle and 2ERPPC or PPCS, crying that they could not get into play before having armor stripped off, etc.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 25 August 2017 - 02:12 PM.

9 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 9 guests, 0 anonymous users