Calling In Qp

24 replies to this topic

#1 Atomic Hamster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:50 AM

Was in a QP game on River City where 2 players, who seemed to know the map, were debating where the team should go. One suggested 'citadel', the other was suggesting 'airfield'. While this debate was going on, the rest of the team, who may not have even known where 'citadel' or 'airfield' were on the map, split up and headed in different directions.

When the 2 eventually decided on airfield, the now-spread out team started moving in the same general direction, but all taking different routes - one of the callers said 'don't use the bridge' after some team members were already under fire while crossing the bridge. The team ended up broken into isolated groups and destroyed.

I don't know how many team members knew this map well enough to know the key locations or best routes for getting there (I didn't - and ended up losing half my armor in transit, then getting pinned down with a small group), but I can't help wondering if clearer communication at the start might have led to a completely different outcome.

I think there may be a tendency for some more experienced players/callers in QP to assume that the rest of the team knows the maps as well as they do when they really don't, so when it looks like the team is ignoring suggestions, they might actually just be confused/lost. I've been in QP games where callers have made a huge positive difference, but these usually had clear/non-conflicting suggestions from the start (with map co-ordinates).

Edited by Atomic Hamster, 26 August 2017 - 06:11 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:10 AM

On the other hand, inexperienced players should get into the habit of following those who know where to go, instead of running ahead and dying in seconds.

#3 Atomic Hamster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:22 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 August 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

On the other hand, inexperienced players should get into the habit of following those who know where to go, instead of running ahead and dying in seconds.

That's true, but I don't think that was the problem in the match I described.

Edited by Atomic Hamster, 26 August 2017 - 06:26 AM.

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:29 AM

That's why people should call grid and not location names. I mean, even among experienced players, how many know where "trash heap" is on Canyon?

#5 Atomic Hamster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:38 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 26 August 2017 - 06:29 AM, said:

That's why people should call grid and not location names. I mean, even among experienced players, how many know where "trash heap" is on Canyon?

I've never even heard of that until you mentioned it.

Obviously there are some names that more people are likely understand, like 'tunnel' and 'saddle' on Crimson Strait (mainly because they are so obvious) - but yes, grid refs would remove any scope for confusion (short of people being unable to read the mini-map).

Edited by Atomic Hamster, 26 August 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#6 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Well, only 1 good player because only bads go citadel. Upper city or airfield are the only smart choices.

#7 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 August 2017 - 06:10 AM, said:

Hey, you don't have to be inexperienced to rush in and die early! Take me, for example... Just cram override, set all weapons to firing group 1, disengage chainfire, and

LEEEERROOOOOYY-
ProsperityPark had killed ProsperityPark.

#8 YasuoBloodMoon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

Since people does not:

- Aware
- Use minimap
- Follow the situation around and on minimap
- Use override when needed

That's all is uselessly autistic.Posted Image

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 August 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Well, only 1 good player because only bads go citadel. Upper city or airfield are the only smart choices.

Dockland... is the only smart choice. Tunnel, airfield are easy pushable.Posted Image

Edited by YasuoBloodMoon, 26 August 2017 - 08:20 AM.

#9 YasuoBloodMoon

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

View PostAtomic Hamster, on 26 August 2017 - 05:50 AM, said:

When the 2 eventually decided on airfield, the now-spread out team started moving in the same general direction, but all taking different routes - one of the callers said 'don't use the bridge' after some team members were already under fire while crossing the bridge. The team ended up broken into isolated groups and destroyed.

I hope I'll never have your "team" cause... if part of your team is uder fire, first to do is... SURPRESS ENEMY FIRE!!!Posted Image

#10 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

If you don't know a landmark.

Your bad match had nothing to do with people not knowing where landmarks are and everything to do with potatos derping

#11 The Unstoppable Puggernaut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

If I say "saddle" I am guessing most of you know even know what map that refers to.

First time I heard it, I couldn't make sense of what people were going on about so I just followed em about.

There's lots of ways to have nails hammered into your game coffin, splitting up is the first and major one.

#12 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

View PostYasuoBloodMoon, on 26 August 2017 - 08:21 AM, said:

Since people does not:

- Aware
- Use minimap
- Follow the situation around and on minimap
- Use override when needed

That's all is uselessly autistic.Posted Image

Dockland... is the only smart choice. Tunnel, airfield are easy pushable.Posted Image

Nope, airfield.or high town. Limited avenues of fire, proved enough cover and corners to let your whole team form a firing line from cover. If someone pushes you've got covered avenues to flank them. Primarily though it's got aveues to push the other location - whether possible you want to be the one pushing.

#13 LordFatman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:17 AM

big problem is caller doesn't use grid info like f 9 or g 6 they say over here or next to me like

#14 Alexander of Macedon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,184 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 August 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Park usually works well from citadel side in QP though, since the enemy team almost invariably pushes into the water below citadel while the assaults are still moving down from their spawn.

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

View PostAlexander of Macedon, on 26 August 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Park usually works well from citadel side in QP though, since the enemy team almost invariably pushes into the water below citadel while the assaults are still moving down from their spawn.

Which works if the other team is potatoes.

Always go high town/airfield because if the other team good you want to be in a good position. Both locations enable you to push on the other team. So you go to good location, identify enemy position and either receive a push in progress, or push directly on an out of position enemy or move to another good location from which to then push. For example go high town, other team stupidly goes citadel. Poke a bit, then push airport. If they move up great - cover left and right edge approach, mow them as they push. If they don't, poke from the airfield. 2hen they get brushed back then move down in buildings on left and push them into the water and slaughter them.

#16 Atomic Hamster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

Posted Image

#17 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

View PostAtomic Hamster, on 26 August 2017 - 01:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

You see the problem.

Calling in QP is usually a good idea. Even a tiny bit of coordination is enough to win a match. Usually, in the match, it's better to go along with a bad call than argue in a match.

Battlecomms in the match. Discussion before or after.

#18 Jackofallpots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:49 PM

Backseat mechin' usually makes me anxious, especially if the guy calling the shots was the first to die and doesnt actually name the person they might be calling out to do stuff

#19 Atomic Hamster

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 108 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 26 August 2017 - 02:41 PM, said:

You see the problem.

Calling in QP is usually a good idea. Even a tiny bit of coordination is enough to win a match. Usually, in the match, it's better to go along with a bad call than argue in a match.

Battlecomms in the match. Discussion before or after.

True. But am also seeing the huge gulf between players who not only know the layout of maps, but also the all the strategic aspects as discussed above, and those who don't even know the viable routes from one map grid to another without getting shot up or cut off. I'll admit that I'm probably in the latter category for a lot of maps (some exceptions).

#20 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:09 PM

Most people who talk ingame dont know what they are doing and just like to hear themselves talk.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users