71 replies to this topic

#61 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 11:23 AM

View PostMikey Two Guns, on 12 December 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

I dunno about that statement... 6LL/6ERLL BLR still trades and projects damage like a champ. And holding off Linebacker/Gargle pushes isn't a hopeless endeavor if you use the 3S variant in particular. This has been my experience so far in the last 3 weeks I have been IS.

This is assuming a proper skill tree and the ability to aim lasers worth a damn. of course.

I can get 500m from you on almost any map while in cover. That's 6 seconds from SRM range even in open ground. Sure, you'll lose the point guy and the second guy is messed up but then it's 10 fresh, 0 heat Linebackers puking up 60 pt splat vs 12 now heated laservomit BLRs. That math sorts real quick.

BLRs just don't twist fast enough to protect their backs in that fight. I have a LOT more trouble with WHRs and GHRs. BLRs have those big moobs and I get more SRMs where it counts. When I splat a GHR or WHR I'm doing like 10/10/10/10/10 damage with 10 whiffing. On a BLR it's more like 10/40/10. Arm/st/CT.

BLRs an issue if I don't close. Closing hurts but if your team closes like a proper rush of Spartans two guys get chewed so 10 can play wolves v sheep.

#62 GrimmigerPetz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 14 December 2017 - 04:55 AM

^second that

#63 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:23 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 December 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

I can get 500m from you on almost any map while in cover. That's 6 seconds from SRM range even in open ground. Sure, you'll lose the point guy and the second guy is messed up but then it's 10 fresh, 0 heat Linebackers puking up 60 pt splat vs 12 now heated laservomit BLRs. That math sorts real quick.

BLRs just don't twist fast enough to protect their backs in that fight. I have a LOT more trouble with WHRs and GHRs. BLRs have those big moobs and I get more SRMs where it counts. When I splat a GHR or WHR I'm doing like 10/10/10/10/10 damage with 10 whiffing. On a BLR it's more like 10/40/10. Arm/st/CT.

BLRs an issue if I don't close. Closing hurts but if your team closes like a proper rush of Spartans two guys get chewed so 10 can play wolves v sheep.

Perfect illustration of one scenario where coordination can trump tech. People complain about tech imbalances in FP when the real issue... the one that is probably unsolvable at this point due to low population, is the solos/taters/yolos vs premades...

With 4 waves, the problems that a team of pugs have versus premades are exacerbated. In QP if someone yolos and discos, you are down 1 mech, possible just a light or medium, in FP, you lose 4 mechs and up to 240+ tons...

This is a problem either side can face.

#64 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:41 PM

I have considered at times the possibility of using ballistic builds as a sort of "counter-meta", where the idea is to just smash your whole team into the enemy point-blank and DPS them to death while they're overheating from their first volley. The two main difficulties I see are getting into ballistic range in the first place without losing too many mechs to finish the job, and the fact that triple cool-shots being an option now means the "first volley" might be more like "the first four volleys". And well, four volleys of Clan laser vomit pretty much is enough to erase a whole wave if they all hit...

Of course if your opponent really is chewing through three cool-shots a wave they're blowing through quite a few Cbills, but they might not care.

#65 Jurosik

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 57 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 07:22 AM

There is no triple coolshot. You can only have 2 of each consumable type. 2 coolshots 2uavs or 2 strikes.

I dont get the myth of expensive consumables i heard a few times ( unless you are buying them for MCs). Each consumable is just 40k cbills. If it helps me get another 100-200dmg its more then enough return on investment especialy in FP. Where you get paid 1mil+ cbills at the end easily.

#66 ROSS-128

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

One consumable is cheap, but 2-5 consumables per mech (depending on how you skilled it) over 4 mechs is 320,000-800,000 Cbills.

Since a considerable chunk of the income in FP is more or less fixed (minimum match payout, "bonuses" that essentially amount to participation, and the 250k win payout) in terms of RoI it is likely a good idea to not go *too* ham on them.

But the main point is that in general, the strength of clan lasers combined with the expectation that every enemy will be using at least 1-2 cool-shots is enough to at the very least make me nervous about whether a ballistic "tank and spank" strategy is actually viable.

It also seems to be the kind of thing that will pretty much work nearly perfectly, or not at all. Though I do think that even if it's not necessarily viable against an enemy that is somewhat expecting it and knows what they're doing, it would at least be a nasty surprise for an enemy that is not prepared for it and doesn't know how to respond. Concentrated fire and quick target-switching could likely maximize the DPS advantage while minimizing the alpha deficit.

I think I'd put it under "theoretically possible, but really hard to pull off".

#67 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 December 2017 - 10:46 AM

View PostJurosik, on 15 December 2017 - 07:22 AM, said:

There is no triple coolshot. You can only have 2 of each consumable type. 2 coolshots 2uavs or 2 strikes.

I dont get the myth of expensive consumables i heard a few times ( unless you are buying them for MCs). Each consumable is just 40k cbills. If it helps me get another 100-200dmg its more then enough return on investment especialy in FP. Where you get paid 1mil+ cbills at the end easily.

not only that, even with the CD bonus, you'll have a while to take advantage of the next coolshot

#68 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostMischiefSC, on 13 December 2017 - 11:13 AM, said:

Javelins are food. If someone cant keep a crosshair on that fat torso needs to go back to hold locks pls. Wolfhound is only an issue with a good light pilot and either a poke/trade situation or an open, flat one. If it's a chaotic brawl and I've got any up and down or sporadic cover to hang him up on I can take a WLF. Holding 2 triggers gown, 1 for lasers and one for MGs and just keeping the damage flowing is way less effort than shoot/twist/shoot and no JJs.

Besides, most IS run a medium for 4th wave. That's trouble for the Lynx. So you go on 2 or 3 if it's a tough match.

The MG Lynx's worst enemy, apart from streaks, is focused burst damage. Both the SRM Jav and MPL WLF are exactly that. Flair your JJs, twist and fire, diddle back and forth, and the MLX isn't going to have an easy time of things. EmP themselves swapped out of MG Lynxes in the WC precisely because they couldn't burn through the armor on the WLF fast enough even with streaks assisting the DPS. The Jav just dives on the MLX humps it to death. It only takes three shots to the CT with 6x SRM2 to kill an MLX and those shots come out very fast.

The Assassin is just on a different level.

#69 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 11:42 AM

View PostROSS-128, on 15 December 2017 - 10:20 AM, said:

But the main point is that in general, the strength of clan lasers combined with the expectation that every enemy will be using at least 1-2 cool-shots is enough to at the very least make me nervous about whether a ballistic "tank and spank" strategy is actually viable.

Have you seen JuJu's IS Faction Play streams? Because this is exactly what they do. Load up on Slepnirs, Maulers, etc. and then just roll the enemy back to their spawn once they open the gates.

#70 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 December 2017 - 12:12 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 December 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Have you seen JuJu's IS Faction Play streams? Because this is exactly what they do. Load up on Slepnirs, Maulers, etc. and then just roll the enemy back to their spawn once they open the gates.

#1 thing people need to learn to do in FP is adapt. You actually get to know ahead of time what map/mode you are getting, why not prepare and bring the mechs that make the most sense?

Beyond that, utilize your knowledge of heat management if you get stuck on vitric with laser vomit, for example, i have seen people absolutely wreck face because they brought high heat, high alpha builds to counter-intuitive situatipns b/c they adapted their playstyle to the situation.

#71 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 08:57 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 17 December 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

The MG Lynx's worst enemy, apart from streaks, is focused burst damage. Both the SRM Jav and MPL WLF are exactly that. Flair your JJs, twist and fire, diddle back and forth, and the MLX isn't going to have an easy time of things. EmP themselves swapped out of MG Lynxes in the WC precisely because they couldn't burn through the armor on the WLF fast enough even with streaks assisting the DPS. The Jav just dives on the MLX humps it to death. It only takes three shots to the CT with 6x SRM2 to kill an MLX and those shots come out very fast.

The Assassin is just on a different level.

WLF is a problem, it's a strong little mech.

Maybe I've just never met a good Jav pilot but if I keep vertical I have no issue with Javs or 90% of lights, really.

Just have to remember that against heavies and assaults it's sorta the opposite stay low and fluttery.

Srm2s are some of the best DPS/ton in the game and I respect them but the Javelin is just so squishy.

#72 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:56 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 December 2017 - 08:57 AM, said:

Srm2s are some of the best DPS/ton in the game and I respect them but the Javelin is just so squishy.

So is the MLX. At least, the parts that matter are: G-arms, G-RT, all legs, and all CTs. :P

The better loadout against a Light is actually probably 4xSRM4, the 6xSRM2 is more for the ammo supply.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users