Machine Gun Warrior Online

189 replies to this topic

#21 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostSeventhSL, on 03 September 2017 - 11:07 PM, said:

I am seeing a lot more MGs and not just light mechs. I see heavier mechs using them after they open your armour up. That said I have no problem with that at all. I don't see them as over performing but at least MGs are a viable weapon choice now.

I have begun to use them on heavier mechs as well.

Like a Roughneck 2A with LB10X,MRM 30,x3 medium lasers and a pair of LMGs.

#22 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:32 AM

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 03 September 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Machine Guns are everywhere. MG boat Mechs are owning close range, or so it would seem.

Is this good for the game? Is this what we, the players, want?

HGauss+ duall Snub "right to da face" is a perfect cure for MG mechs.
There is also the old but still reliable combination of beagle and multiple SSRMs if you feel encountering that many super fast MG carriers.
On IS side do not forget 3 lpls...MLX do not like beeing tickled their leggs with those.
And on big mechs....dual LB20X for the lulz .... or on my Anni MRM 120.

#23 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,064 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:34 AM

View PostKhobai, on 03 September 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

fix is easy

just add ghost heat on 6+ machine guns

just enough ghost heat to prevent you from firing 6+ machine guns indefinitely

Um, how does that work? Is it multiplicative? Because Zero multiplied by anything is still Zero.

#24 vibrant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 209 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 04 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

I find it amusing that seeing a weapon in common use implies imbalance or something wrong. No one would complain about seeing lots of people using ER MED lasers, right? Or LRMs? SRMs?

Good that machine guns are actually being used. Begins to make up for the freakin' long time they weren't.

Edited by vibrant, 04 September 2017 - 01:15 AM.

#25 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:00 AM

Personally i try to not call something OP just because something is heavily used and wrecks me sometimes. That's because on the receiving end it's likely that we see only the power, but not the drawbacks.

So i suggest to buy and use an MLX / ACH for yourself to experience the weaknesses. I did this with the Shard and while i had some very successful matches, it does not seem to be very reliable on average. For instance my slas-build seems to be more reliable because i can poptart very well and in general deal almost pinpoint damage with reasonable facetime.

But with an dps-build you need opportunities to bring the dps to the enemy without them destroying your fragile arms or legs in return, and poptarting does not much either.

So with my current experience i think a light-mech MG-boat in general is not necessarily OP, but rather falls into the "high risk - high reward" category. When things go right (for example with a team creating flanking opportunities) it can shine, but in less ideal situations you are much more restricted than in other builds.

However i can imagine that the range of the light-mgs may be too high which condemns the other MGs to niche-roles. Especially heavy MGs are very odd, they weight too much to be useful on fast mechs that could mitigate their low range.

Edited by Daggett, 04 September 2017 - 02:10 AM.

#26 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:13 AM

when you have a Problem with MGs ...better play not a Multiplayergame against other Users...MGs only good against Armorless Parts and in close Combat ,with this ,a Mech must have before other Problems ..
1:No Armor of Parts
2:thats come a MGMech in Close Range to finish him

#27 kesmai

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,429 posts
  • LocationPirate's Bay

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:17 AM

Are mg's bad if you are on the receiving end?
Yup.
Are they fun playing a mlx?
Hell yeah.

To what it boils down for me is not the machine guns themselves, but the decision from pgi to release the omnipods to boat them @ 6 or more.
The weapon itself is really not the problem.
Do not nerf.
Please.

Edited by kesmai, 04 September 2017 - 02:18 AM.

#28 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:36 AM

At first I wanted to say Im glad MG's are actually useful now for the fist time in the history of mechwarrior games.

But then I remembered the fun times I had with 8 or 10 MG Loki in MW4. So yeah MGs are and were cool if you can bring enough of them.

By the way. 10 or 12 ballistics Hellbringer anyone? If it was a thing in the past, then it must be lore-friendly and historicall accurate and all this stuff.
Spoiler

Edited by Nema Nabojiv, 04 September 2017 - 02:39 AM.

#29 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:44 AM

get used to it, MGs are here to stay

#30 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 02:46 AM

Having a meta without lasers or long range weapons is rather interesting.

#31 Formosa The God

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 115 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

I cant believe some of what im reading, note thought I am not complaining about MG's, just that a competent Light mech will target that weak rear armour, open it with lasers and crit out weapons very easily or just core a careless mech pilot, and no they are not just good for killing already damaged mechs, they are amazing at it, and can also easily kill a healthy mech that is engaged with another target, that is the real strength of MG lights, they harass much better than anything else, which is good.

Edited by Formosa The God, 04 September 2017 - 05:09 AM.

#32 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:22 AM

Seems every such thread are trying to influence PGI, if abysmal that change is, to have them hypernerf mg's YET AGAIN into oblivion. If you are so afraid of getting crit, take and use the right counters and if possible team work to chase away those *cough* deadly rattatas.

More armor hardening and structual density investment needed and sledge hammer weapons works wonders.

This is getting insane, even worse than those threads whining about " Oh noes, LURMS OP, what to do?!"
I understand completely new players, having problems with the brutal learning curve when all this new craziness are going on but then it is up to us to teach them whats OP, meta and not. How to deal with said problem, be it either in-game and/ or here.

#33 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:33 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 04 September 2017 - 12:34 AM, said:

Um, how does that work? Is it multiplicative? Because Zero multiplied by anything is still Zero.

Pssst don't tell them. That’s the perfect way for PGI to please the noobs and still change nothing. Posted Image

#34 MagicIndex

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 03 September 2017 - 08:32 PM, said:

Carry an AC20 and see how long those light machine gun boats last Posted Image

Get an Dual Heavy Goose... and enjoy how Mist-Linx lose it's CT from single salvoPosted Image Dual-LBX20 or even Dual-AC20 also works fine. Yesterday I saw how Adder tried to "smoke out of the pants" Duo-HGR Meawler... the guy blasted alpha into Meawler and just died when two large SABOTs hit his cockpit. But than... on the "poor" Meawler engaged a Pirates Bane))) the Cust just managed to do a turn before also shared the Adders fate. Meawler just scored TWO FREE KILLS.Posted Image

View PostShaneoftheDead, on 03 September 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Machine Guns are everywhere. MG boat Mechs are owning close range, or so it would seem.

Is this good for the game? Is this what we, the players, want?

Dit you drive a Clan-Mech? Cause if "yes" I uderstand your whine. Clans are soft for MG's.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

View Postocular tb, on 03 September 2017 - 10:21 PM, said:

I haven't played any mechs with MGs lately so I can't comment from that perspective, but just seeing them in game I'd say they're not really a problem. Seem to be more useful without being over-powered. Having viable MGs isn't a bad thing.

First rule of WhineWarrior: Online.... If it killed me it's OP and needs to be nerfed.
First Truth of WhineWarrior: Online... a lot more people are Bad and should feel Bad than can admit it, regardless of what tier they reside in.

#36 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 04 September 2017 - 05:59 AM

"MG is OP plz nerf! "

What timeline I am in?!

#37 An Innocent Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 285 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:14 AM

View Postxengk, on 04 September 2017 - 05:59 AM, said:

"MG is OP plz nerf! "

What timeline I am in?!

timeline where Social Justice Warriors rule the galaxy and everyone is a special snowflake

edit:
I just hug-to-death a lowly catapult earlier in a match and it died hearing my 8x MGs

Edited by An Innocent Urbie, 04 September 2017 - 06:16 AM.

#38 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

View PostMole, on 03 September 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

I just tried the 8LMG Mist Lynx. I ate 8 enemy 'mechs for ******* breakfast in that match. It was insane how quickly and easily I downed them. That thing is a friggin' monster. I have very little doubt it will get the ever-living crap nerfed out of it soon.

HA! Streak SRMs eat the **** out of those mechs. Honestly! Why do people spend so much time whining about things instead of learning to counter them.

#39 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

View PostMole, on 03 September 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

I just tried the 8LMG Mist Lynx. I ate 8 enemy 'mechs for ******* breakfast in that match. It was insane how quickly and easily I downed them. That thing is a friggin' monster. I have very little doubt it will get the ever-living crap nerfed out of it soon.

So 8 mechs weren't able to kill a light? How much dps has such a light and how long does it need to kill 8 mechs. Potatoe awareness is what kilsl people and there are unfortunately a lot of potatoes out there.

So when peopel would stop derping and get some srm bombing action your MG's plopp faster than you can scream OP srm's

But until peole finally adopt, lets just call MGs OP.

View PostDjPush, on 04 September 2017 - 06:23 AM, said:

HA! Streak SRMs eat the **** out of those mechs. Honestly! Why do people spend so much time whining about things instead of learning to counter them.

Because one is just a physical mixing and releasing of salty water and the other requires the effort of thinking.

Edited by Lily from animove, 04 September 2017 - 06:29 AM.

#40 Unnatural Growth

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 06:44 AM

Spent most of the day yesterday in my 3x4ssrm Centurion. Was having a great time wrecking mg lights. Only thing I wish for is that it could go faster (xl 275 engine cap). May try to squeeze 5 streak 4's into a Kintaro due to the big engine cap, but having problems finding a build I like that keeps the BAP (which is mandatory). But 4 streak 4's looks doable.

I don't have a mg light boat, but I don't mind seeing them in game. I think the diversity is pretty cool to have (finally). But yeah, with enough bitching about them, they'll probably get nerfed soon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users