Why Can't Pgi Do It Like This?

143 replies to this topic

#1 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:48 AM

https://robertsspace...phony-In-Motion

So, the above link leads to a brochure for a new ship in the Star Citizen videogame.. scroll down and open the brochure..

By the looks of it, you'd think you were buying a real-life Mercedes, or yacht. It's got all the trimmings of luxury, style, immersion..

Every little detail is thoroughly exaggerated, hyped, and portrayed in maximum style, and after just seeing the brochure - I WANNA PLAY THE GAME.

PGI, why don't you make brochures like this for mechs? Why don't you put this much effort into anything in this game?

You could learn a lot from Star Citizen and Robert's Space Industries..

Those people are not selling a videogame.. they are selling a lifestyle!

P.S.

The brochure is better than many I've seen in real life.. omg, my mouth is watering from seeing this..

Edited by Vellron2005, 18 September 2017 - 02:52 AM.

#2 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 02:53 AM

if they really on limited budget then it's better for them to work gameplay stuff than care about website design

#3 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:00 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 18 September 2017 - 02:53 AM, said:

if they really on limited budget then it's better for them to work gameplay stuff than care about website design

True.. but if they did things like that, and put in the same amount of effort.. they would not be on a budget..

Edited by Vellron2005, 18 September 2017 - 03:00 AM.

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:03 AM

I agree it's a bit chicken and egg.

But even though they are a small studio, and probably destined to stay that way through their grinding lack of ambition, they could still utilise their meagre resources better.

For example, their Community Manager could surely be spending her time more productively and with broader positive impact than organising 'whack-a-mole' private matches for a few dozen players.

If I were their marketing manager ... no, let's not go there. The wasted opportunity to help this game achieve its full potential just makes me sad.

Edited by Appogee, 18 September 2017 - 03:04 AM.

#5 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:23 AM

View PostAppogee, on 18 September 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

But even though they are a small studio, and probably destined to stay that way through their grinding lack of ambition, they could still utilise their meagre resources better.

For example, their Community Manager could surely be spending her time more productively and with broader positive impact than organising 'whack-a-mole' private matches for a few dozen players.

If I were their marketing manager ... no, let's not go there. The wasted opportunity to help this game achieve its full potential just makes me sad.

Agreed.. it makes me sad too..

But just let me tell you guys something.. The brochure like the one I posted on the link.. I've done those. I'm a graphics designer, and do those for a living.. so I can tell you with all certainty.. it's not that expensive to do those.. Most of the images you can pull from screenshots of the game itself.. or render them in-house.. and the production process for such a high-quality brochure in pdf once you have the picures is maaaybe 1-2 work days at the maximum.

So don't tell me it would cost a pretty penny to elevate the style and add some immersion.. ;-)

Edited by Vellron2005, 18 September 2017 - 03:24 AM.

#6 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:31 AM

View PostAppogee, on 18 September 2017 - 03:03 AM, said:

[...]

I think Vellron is right.
If Battletech was completely unknown and PGI had to establish it, then it would be chicken/egg.
But BT is already established. Not as widely as Star Trek or such, sure, but still. It has a rather huge basis to start from and to exploit.
If someone with proper marketing skills used that, there would surely be millions over millions of budget.

Star Citizen DID start from 0 and although they're admittedly on it for a long time now (big things take time), it's still growing larger and larger. Millions over millions collected just for something completely new that will come at some point in the future.

If you compare that to ... some ... weird ... faction play and what seems to be cancelling of any and all advertisement (like those Mech trailers in the past), it's kind of sad.

So I think Vellron is right.
It wouldn't have to be or shouldn't be a brochure for a vehicle. But say a fake Wolf's Dragoons recruitment page or a clan invasion analysis page or some combat report videos or so. Something that makes people think "OMG, I want to be part of that, I'll pay $100 or more to make it happen."
And not the notorious Mech pack where each one offers less and less original content but more and more just a reskin of what one already has.

I think Star Citizen is doing it right, while PGI's strategy of self-deprecating Mech packs is working actively on its own demise.

Edited by Paigan, 18 September 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#7 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:38 AM

Star citizen has like 10 times the number of employees so it's just not realistic to expect from a smaller dev team.

#8 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:55 AM

Dunno man, each to his own.
For me, that brochure is more repelling than anything. It reeks of unnecesary, audacious over-the-top luxury. You know, like those celebrities living alone while having 5 luxurious manors with 10 unused bedrooms each, or those things that are insanely expensive because they're shiny and their purpose is only to show other people how insanely rich are you. The form over substance. Especially while we're speaking about an UNFINISHED GAME. If I were a SC player, I would tell the devs "how about you take those assets you've put into over-the-top advertisement and move it in into finishing your frigging game already".

#9 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:07 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 September 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

True.. but if they did things like that, and put in the same amount of effort.. they would not be on a budget..

Yeah, if they do it like that and charge you 400$+ they wouldn’t be on a budget.

http://starcitizen.w..._vehicle_prices

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:21 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 18 September 2017 - 03:55 AM, said:

Dunno man, each to his own.
For me, that brochure is more repelling than anything. It reeks of unnecesary, audacious over-the-top luxury. You know, like those celebrities living alone while having 5 luxurious manors with 10 unused bedrooms each, or those things that are insanely expensive because they're shiny and their purpose is only to show other people how insanely rich are you. The form over substance. Especially while we're speaking about an UNFINISHED GAME. If I were a SC player, I would tell the devs "how about you take those assets you've put into over-the-top advertisement and move it in into finishing your frigging game already".

But That's just it - what the brochure sells IS over the top luxury.. it's basically the in-game equivalent of a yacht!

What I'm impressed with is the effort put into selling that yacht.. the same effort they put into doing anything in that game.. and the same effort that PGI sorely lacks..

Sure, RSI has a lot of money and a bigger dev team at their disposal.. but how did they get there? They also started small. But unlike PGI, they delivered quality and immersion at every step. And things exploded.

At the risk of sounding like a bittervet here, PGI did not deliver much from the start, only a minimally viable product.. while RSI goes over the top and makes every detail perfect.

And that's the difference between the two..

PGI just gets it done, half-baked and with broken animations which it then makes minimal effort to fix before moving on to the next cash grab.

RSI takes forever to do anything because it bites off more then it can chew, but once it's done, it makes your jaw drop.

Also, take note that RSI has accomplished A LOT more in the same amount of time than PGI did..

And PGI has been selling us basically the same thing since day one.. Mechpacks. Diferent shapes and sizes, but basically the same "go kill eachother" game. Most mechs of the same weight class are the same, and in the grand scheme of things, differ only slightly from one another.

If MWO was done by RSI from the same starting position, we would have PVE campaigns, a persistent Inner Sphere universe with player-driven economy, and all the info with trimmings about every mech and vehicle in the game (even quads).

And there would probably be vehicles, mechs, dropships, battlearmors, and you would be able to climb into your mech, then walk it into a dropship, then climb out, go to the dropship's observation deck, have a virtual beer, and then climb back down into your mech, only to get dropped on some god-forsaken planet to kill mechs.

Please note that I'm not trying to bash PGI here. I love this game.

I'm just saying they need to SERIOUSLY step up their game and start giving us more of everything (especially quality and immersion) if they want to have any chance of holding on to players and paying customers in the long run.

P.S.

@Paigan - Thanks man.. nice to know somebody understands ;-)

Edited by Vellron2005, 18 September 2017 - 04:24 AM.

#11 Trissila

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 439 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:55 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 18 September 2017 - 02:48 AM, said:

By the looks of it, you'd think you were buying a real-life Mercedes, or yacht.

You might as well be, for the price RSI is charging per-ship in SC.

Oh, and don't forget your monthly payments for Ship Insurance so that your hard-earned money doesn't just evaporate into the ether when you get ganked at two in the morning.

So yeah, SC with its fancy brochures is the game for you if you thought that Golden Mechs was a great idea that an entire game should be based around.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:00 AM

...Seriously?

CIG is a mega studio with hundreds of employees, millions in revenue (Without a finished product), and a massive incentive to overdo things (Because every ship they release is potentially another quarter million or more).

PGI is none of those things.

Granted, PGI probably could do more with their mechs. But you're pretty much asking me why the road side veggie stand by my house doesn't buy commercial time on a national TV station.

#13 RedDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:09 AM

View PostBombast, on 18 September 2017 - 05:00 AM, said:

...Seriously?

CIG is a mega studio with hundreds of employees, millions in revenue (Without a finished product), and a massive incentive to overdo things (Because every ship they release is potentially another quarter million or more).

PGI is none of those things.

Granted, PGI probably could do more with their mechs. But you're pretty much asking me why the road side veggie stand by my house doesn't buy commercial time on a national TV station.

He just used it as an example to question the complete lack of any effort in everything PGI does. And he has a point.

#14 RangerGee412

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 308 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:12 AM

What exactly should a mech brochure say?

"Here we have a beautiful catapult, only a few hundred years old, low miles. It has only been blown up 13 times. Armor is a little dinged but it has Fresh paint! Cockpit is a bit drafty from a few mg holes. No cup holders, upholstery is a little worn. Mech is ready to go to battle!*"

*missile ammo not included

#15 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:31 AM

This thread makes me LOL

All the should's and if they did it's.

Fact is every other company had the option to do the Battle Tech franchise, and they didn't even look once.

I'm no fan of these incompetent clowns, but without them there would be no game period, at all, nothing !

There would be no CGL revival, there would be no BattleTech game being produced by HBS

Get over yourselves and face the reality of the situation and be grateful there is anything at all to play.

Oh is that the sound of someone knocking at the door to offer microsoft more money to take over when the licencing expires in 2018.

No of course it isn't..

Get real..

#16 Asym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:37 AM

You 'all are missing an important point:

SC is new when compared and MW is decades old....
SC is a 3D high technology game competing with other 3D high technology games....
MWO is a 2D game now and looking for even simplier gameplay (Solaris) to reduce its costs.....

SC is changing to adapt to a new player base that is "un-sure" of the ligitameticy of the corporation hosting its creation ! Many of us thought it was a scam for years.....and, if they don't actually get am actual "game" soon, they may just be that.....

MW is and has been around and has a niche audience built it. YES, a small niche' but, a secure niche that will play "anything" PGI throws at them and buys crap products no matter what the quality is.......SC can't do that.....

So, as many have said earlier, PGI is smaller and if they had 1/2 a brain, they'd take the time and do the "simple things" that attract new players and "reasonable" marketing is and should be one of those activities; as well as, a solid customer support team that is actually there, full time to rid the game of the "Obnoxious few" who haunt this game.

#17 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:37 AM

Why can't PGI just copy/paste Sarna info on all the CW planets?

Answer is all the same. They just don't really care.

View PostAsym, on 18 September 2017 - 05:37 AM, said:

SC is a 3D high technology game competing with other 3D high technology games....
MWO is a 2D game now and looking for even simplier gameplay (Solaris) to reduce its costs.....

MWO is not 2D, mate.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 September 2017 - 05:39 AM.

#18 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:38 AM

Ah yes, Star Citizen.

A game where you can backstab people and steal their stuff.

MWO should be sooooo like that. Posted Image

#19 o0m9

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:49 AM

Because PGI didn't get over $50,000,000 in kickstarter EDIT: crowdfunding funds and then go on to sell ships for $400 a pop.

Edited by o0m9, 18 September 2017 - 06:33 AM.

#20 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 September 2017 - 05:53 AM

View PostWildstreak, on 18 September 2017 - 05:38 AM, said:

Ah yes, Star Citizen.

A game where you can backstab people and steal their stuff.

MWO should be sooooo like that. Posted Image

Merc Star Alliance [-MS-] got stabbed pretty good in the back by one of its founders. Posted Image Luckily the new Mercstar (MS) is far more fun to be in.

View Posto0m9, on 18 September 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Because PGI didn't get over $50,000,000 in kickstarter funds and then go on to sell ships for $400 a pop.

5 million. You are one zero too many.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 September 2017 - 05:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users