World Of Tanks

47 replies to this topic

#1 Vladdaimpaler77

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:19 PM

Hey guys, I've listened to the Podcasts and hearded that the hosts play world of tanks I would like to talk to these hosts about forming a competive group for MWO. My friends and I are former MLP players who are looking forward to MWO and being able to help shape the competive make up of the game.

Vlad.

#2 eXecute

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIn Space

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

WoT = dullsvill

I played WoT in the "closed Beta" and when it was released and got tired of the game. Sit there to grind throw the tiers and **** just to go in the open game and get blown up by an invis tank that never shows up even being on top of it.

Don't get me wrong I like the game, just don't have the time or patience to sit and play the game.

#3 Vladdaimpaler77

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

It does get boring, but the clan war aspect of the game made it worthwhile until they nerfed it. MLP was paying its players 3.5k gold a week at its height, but thats all changed and we're ready to move on to another game, hopefully one that is responsive to its player base and does not make ham fistied decisions.

#4 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

I will only play after the release of 0.7 and the french techtree with 0.7.1

#5 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:54 PM

I haven't played in months, but I'll probably come back for a while to use the French tanks. Maybe again with the British tier.

#6 God of War

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  • LocationGermany/Stuttgart

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:48 AM

I played WoT from the CB till this years november and i can tell you: it´s crap! :)
After 1 1/2 years the devs are still so stupid to balance the nations and fix the mist anoying bugs. Ans instead to
take care of this problems they just keep throwin in new unbalanced tanks and nations. A real endgame content isn´t existing. the Clanwars balance is so braindead, it just keeps making strong clans even stronger and weak clans/alliances will allways stay weak.

And what sucks the most that it is not really f2p.
You simply cant have fun in this game without spending money. You need gold for Premium and free XP to compete with the rest of the
(let´s call it) "community".

If World of Battleships will be anything like Navyfields with cool graphics i might return to that but untill then i just can show Wargaming.net
my Middlefinger and yell: F..k you, Ivan!

#7 ELHImp

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:27 AM

No choise kills this game. 3 10-level heavys, 3 9-level mediums (if you not have heavy) and 3-SPGs (one or two can be usefull). All this make clan-war tactics simple as medium laser. One tactic, one set of tanks, one way to win. And after all, you have only one weapon on your vehicle.
Want tanks? Ok, i have something better for you.

#8 Torment2

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

Maxxed out the E-50 just playing with a standard account, but the heavies are a major grindfest. I like the game, there just has to be more to it than good graphics.

#9 Black Sunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:54 AM

I played this game for 2 and a half months and eventually quit because of the lemmings, the spotting/camo system, the general lack of teamwork, the matchmaker, the matchmaker, the matchmaker, the matchmaker, the maps in general(unless they were city maps).

#10 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:46 AM

Played since closed beta start ~1yr
devs arent dumb; the immediate success and
money rain killed their motivation. Why change
anything that's making tons of cash?
Invisi-tanks, Pay-2-win tanks, and Pay-2-level
up systems - yeah I'm done.

#11 ELHImp

Com Guard

• 1,846 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:11 AM

Pay-2-level up system

It's not bad at all. Oh, I can say more: It's really good system to make money, without giving tactical advantage for ones who pay.
But even if you pay, in WoT grind takes months and years. And It never give you something new. I understand guys who has played 3k battles on 1st level tanks.

#12 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:56 AM

View PostELH_Imp, on 13 December 2011 - 07:11 AM, said:

It's not bad at all. Oh, I can say more: It's really good system to make money, without giving tactical advantage for ones who pay.
But even if you pay, in WoT grind takes months and years. And It never give you something new. I understand guys who has played 3k battles on 1st level tanks.

but even levelling up towards the higher tiers is a crock cause your
items list never increase. There are many tiers where you dont even
get a new gun meaning especially at tiers 8-10 you could be stuck
with a mediocre gun for a very long time. my personal example is
my t29 has a crappy 105 long barrel - long reload, innaccurate, low damage (for tier)
my next tank is the t32 which only has suspension, turret, and engine upgrades...
which makes it a filler tier for the next higher one; same thing with the T1 Heavy to M6 Heavy
the M6 is just a palette swap for tank sakes!

#13 Ghost

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

I had a good time playing World of Tanks in the beta, when the rates were much much higher than they are after release. As it stands the prime tier to stop playing at (i.e. don't go past) is Tier 6. After Tier 6 the grind is measured in hundreds of games and the tanks of those tiers themselves, while arguably the best tanks that World War II had to offer, have been balanced into things that hardly resemble the original. For a game that strives to offer authenticity, it makes some very curious changes for the sake of gameplay and balance--things like making the US Sherman tank, and other very common tanks of that period, hard to get (Shermans were produced in truly staggering numbers), and adding the camouflage system to cover for the hit detection code that made it impossible to play tank destroyers and the larger heavy tanks (the Tiger comes to mind) correctly.

Also in my opinion the World of Tank devs should never have introduced the prototype tanks. The American heavy line never existed, for example, and most of the bigger tank destroyers and SPGs on all sides didn't either. It would reflect better on history if the game actually rewarded you for pursuing Medium-class tanks. Speaking of SPGs, they might as well be removed from the game entirely since the developers couldn't figure out what to do with them. First they were unstoppable fingers of God smashing the enemy team to bits, then they were slow and inaccurate (who ever heard of fire-for-effect?) In higher tiers you can expect to fire one or two shots a minute. At that point you're not even playing the game, you're just watching it happen. Humorously, when they mount the same guns in actual tanks, they have better stats.

tl;dr: Better off skipping the game, and if you do play, use Russian tanks. You can't go wrong.

#14 CobraFive

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationAZ, USA

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:02 PM

I was in the closed beta, stopped playing a while after launch. Just recently I started playing it again to see whats different.

The game is a lot better in some ways... some. They've fixed a couple balance issues, but a lot were left totally untouched (The Tiger still sucks). Instead of buffing up the weak german tanks (Or nerfing their Russian counterparts) they've introduced a whole new line into the German tree of stronger tanks, which is solution that really left me scratching my head...

But of course the game's biggest flaws are still in place, the terrible grind, the horrible matchmaker, way overpriced "micro"transaction content...

However its core gameplay is excellent, in a lot of ways has even improved, and it almost makes the game worth playing. I'm enjoying my time with the game right now, dunno how long I'll stick around, but WHEN the game is fun, it is extremely fun. The problem is all the problems getting the game to work with you on that. Its one of the main reasons I really hope MWO doesn't take the super-hardcore sim approach too far like WoT does, it'll really kill it off for me.

Still, WoT as a F2P game is a huge success and there is a lot in the game- despite its numerous flaws- worth looking up to as a model of "how to do it right". I guess its just a game of extremes, extremely high peaks and extremely low valleys.

#15 Grayson Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany Erfurt

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:57 PM

I played it with some mates in closed beta too. I played to the Panther and the Tiger but the pure grinding and just 1 mode killed it for me. Nothing against team-deathmatch but its getting boring.

#16 Vladdaimpaler77

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

View Postcobrafive, on 13 December 2011 - 01:02 PM, said:

I was in the closed beta, stopped playing a while after launch. Just recently I started playing it again to see whats different.

The game is a lot better in some ways... some. They've fixed a couple balance issues, but a lot were left totally untouched (The Tiger still sucks). Instead of buffing up the weak german tanks (Or nerfing their Russian counterparts) they've introduced a whole new line into the German tree of stronger tanks, which is solution that really left me scratching my head...

But of course the game's biggest flaws are still in place, the terrible grind, the horrible matchmaker, way overpriced "micro"transaction content...

However its core gameplay is excellent, in a lot of ways has even improved, and it almost makes the game worth playing. I'm enjoying my time with the game right now, dunno how long I'll stick around, but WHEN the game is fun, it is extremely fun. The problem is all the problems getting the game to work with you on that. Its one of the main reasons I really hope MWO doesn't take the super-hardcore sim approach too far like WoT does, it'll really kill it off for me.

Still, WoT as a F2P game is a huge success and there is a lot in the game- despite its numerous flaws- worth looking up to as a model of "how to do it right". I guess its just a game of extremes, extremely high peaks and extremely low valleys.

There is, sadly the devs are taking the clan war aspect of the game away from the high end competive style to the more general pub style, which is driving skilled dedicated players away. Hopefully MWO will be more responsive to the players who put the money in and not the random pubbies who don't.

#17 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:59 AM

View PostGrayson Pryde, on 13 December 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

I played it with some mates in closed beta too. I played to the Panther and the Tiger but the pure grinding and just 1 mode killed it for me. Nothing against team-deathmatch but its getting boring.

They add several gamemodes with future post 0.7 patches, already posted the modes in overlords blog I think.
Also the game got some serious overhaul by using 16 instead of 8 (beta 4) armor polygones to calculate the angle of armor.
now even Tiger and other "weaker" tanks get more protection.
That really changes something in the fun part.

but yeah... the profits from doing single rounds are rally low, and its a pain in the *** to even finace tier 7 without premium.

but I will enjoy the new french tanks (yay low tier action again =D)

Edited by Andar89, 14 December 2011 - 10:00 AM.

#18 Catamount

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • LIEUTENANT, JUNIOR GRADE
  • 3,305 posts
  • LocationBoone, NC

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

They could fix every other problem with the game, and the matchmaker would still kill it...

OP, if you're really bored, lack money at the immediate moment (something I'd be able to sympathize with), or even a more worthy title to buy, by all means, pick up WoT for a bit.

It really is fun for a little bit, fun, if immensely frustrating, mostly because of that frakking matchmaker, which will very frequently toss you into matches where your tank is so superseded, you basically can't do anything other than die, so much so that you'll swear it's picking on you in particular.

You know, though, it's also free, so long as you don't want to actually accomplish anything besides running around in a low-mid tier tank for awhile, which makes it pretty risk-free entertainment. If you hate it, just uninstall it, nothing lost.

#19 Vladdaimpaler77

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

View PostCatamount, on 14 December 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

They could fix every other problem with the game, and the matchmaker would still kill it...

OP, if you're really bored, lack money at the immediate moment (something I'd be able to sympathize with), or even a more worthy title to buy, by all means, pick up WoT for a bit.

It really is fun for a little bit, fun, if immensely frustrating, mostly because of that frakking matchmaker, which will very frequently toss you into matches where your tank is so superseded, you basically can't do anything other than die, so much so that you'll swear it's picking on you in particular.

You know, though, it's also free, so long as you don't want to actually accomplish anything besides running around in a low-mid tier tank for awhile, which makes it pretty risk-free entertainment. If you hate it, just uninstall it, nothing lost.

Actually I'm pretty involved in WOT, I have over 5,600+ games almost 4 million total experience. I was in the most profitable clan in the games history and made on average 3,000 gold a week. I want to take that expertise and bring it to this game, therefor I'm looking for dedicated players to join my group so we'll be set to dominate from day one.

#20 Orcinus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 346 posts
  • LocationYour Left Flank

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

I played World of Tanks on-and-off.
I haven't really had the motivation to really grind out more than a few games each day.
(Currently at T-34-85 and T-29, and progress is mehhhhhhhhhhh)

At the same time, I can count on having a blast with my Shermans
(be it the good ol' M4, Easy8, or Jumbo)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users