29 replies to this topic

#1 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:40 PM

...and everything you need to know about it.

The first two are a bit of a clickbait but tells actually everything there is to know about the main characters.
The third vid is a bit of a rant but actually covers only half of the amount of bu.. f... you get as a longtime StarTrek fan by the makers of Discovery and the people behind them.

And last how things could look:

Edited by The Basilisk, 30 September 2017 - 01:58 PM.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:56 PM

i already did this on the ksp board but here we go again (crosspost).

im going to be intentionally vague so as not to spoil anything for anyone who didnt watch both episodes.

from the previews for episode 3 we should finally get to see the ship in the show's title. it also makes the acronym for the show rather embarrassing.

also only a few of the characters shown so far are regulars. so consider the first two episodes as kind of a prequel to set it up later on down the road.

liked the shenzhou, seems to have the vibe of a refit nx-01 type ship. liked the other federation ships as well. it kind of has that crude asthetic rather than the 'clean' ships from tos and the more elegant designs from tng onward.

liked the klingon redux. even though it seems similar to other alien races from the main timeline. though im less interested in their ship redesigns, i have a feeling were not going to get to see any d7s or birds of prey (probibly my favorite ship design in all of trek). im hoping that these are house ships and not production vessels.

didnt like the softness of the scifi. ftl telepathy and the 'new star in the sky' bit because of violation of speed of light limits. i suppose thats trek for you but at least put a little effort into the handwavium to at least make it appear plausible.

didnt like many of the characters thus far. the new alien spock/data analog doesnt really impress me at all. i dont ever remember a cowardly character in a show ever be memorable. they turn out to be annoying at best and typically get cut early. depends if/how they develop his character. didnt like how the klingons were being portrayed as religious fanatics, especially considering according to their belief system they were supposed to have killed off all their gods long ago. or to put them in the role of modern day terrorists when they should have more of a space viking/mongolian vibe. the protagonist was probibly the best character so far. lots of room for development there. too many characters in star trek come from pristine backgrounds and its nice to see a damage case with deep seated issues who tries to act cool and logically but ends up falling short.

didnt like the new intro, it was too minimalistic and conceptual. at least they didnt use a crappy theme song (im looking at you enterprise).

special effects are pretty good, though i found the warp effects too reminiscent of battlestar galactica. really liked the cloaking effects.

speaking of galactica this show kind of has a battlestar discovery feel to it. remember when galactica ended and every show to follow it tried to have a bsg redux vibe. many of them fell flat on their faces (sgu being the biggest offender). this show feels kind of late to that party. however this is not entirely a bad thing. ive always wanted a more gritty star trek, like the way ds9 was going in the last few seasons. this seems to top that greatly. i kind of wish they would redo m*a*s*h and bsg the hell out of it, other than that i think bsging things needs to stop.

story had some issues. like during the battle in episode 2 many of the actors didnt portray the tension appropriately. or how saro kind of seemed like he had just met burnham even though she had been a memeber of the crew for years. in that second scene where the protagonist and the captain were introduced, i kind of kept thinking that they were walking on the sand wrong, i kept thinking a sandworm was going to come kill them, then i realized i was watching star trek. ironically this was probibly my favorite scene from the first episode. this felt like trek. then the rest of the show contrasts that and its as if its saying, this is star trek, but were doing things differently. it did a good job at setting the tone of the show.

mudd is coming.

thats it for now. look forward to episode 3.

#3 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 September 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

[...]the protagonist was probibly the best character so far[...]

Do you mean Michael Burnham ?
Uhm...ok well I think she is a person with so many unresolved personality and psychological problems that she never should come near a space ship not to speak of a bridge and in the end she developed to a cowardly muntineer warcriminal that deserves to rot on Rura Penthe for all eternity.Posted Image

Edited by The Basilisk, 01 October 2017 - 02:41 AM.

#4 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:52 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 October 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

Do you mean Michael Burnham ?
Uhm...ok well I think she is a person with so many unresolved personality and psychological problems that she never should come near a space ship not to speak of a bridge and in the end she developed to a cowardly muntineer warcriminal that deserves to rot on Rura Penthe for all eternity.Posted Image

keep in mind this is relatively speaking. none of the characters that survive past episode 2 were any good.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 01 October 2017 - 05:52 AM, said:

keep in mind this is relatively speaking. none of the characters that survive past episode 2 were any good.

Sure, well sorry for runting I'm just a bit disgusted here.
I thought it would be like it was with startrek Enterprise..bit lame beginning improving slowly and then beeing quite okish.
But this...Posted Image

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:54 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 October 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Sure, well sorry for runting I'm just a bit disgusted here.
I thought it would be like it was with startrek Enterprise..bit lame beginning improving slowly and then beeing quite okish.
But this...Posted Image

seems you cant watch tv anymore without one political group or another trying to spew their propaganda at you.

#7 McHoshi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

The Orville

This is nice to watch... !

#8 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:24 PM

View PostMcHoshi, on 01 October 2017 - 01:51 PM, said:

The Orville

This is nice to watch... !

Ironie isn't it ? A StarTrek Spoof is better than the momentary Series Posted Image

#9 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:05 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 01 October 2017 - 03:24 PM, said:

Ironie isn't it ? A StarTrek Spoof is better than the momentary Series Posted Image

Not that surprising.

Galaxy Quest was a better movie than most of the TNG-era films that came out around the same time. It's also a better movie than Into Darkness and Beyond.

#10 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:18 PM

I thought Prelude to Axanar was very good

I probably wont even bother watching the rest Star Trek is so much lost potential

used to read Star Trek books back in the 70's and most are way better then Battletech books

the Star Trek universe was damn good
at least until they went back in time to get some whales lol

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

episode 3

what the hell did i just watch?

#12 McHoshi

• 1,163 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:58 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 October 2017 - 12:56 AM, said:

episode 3

#13 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

ah... well.. while startrek discovery has "startrek" in it... its official

orvile is so much better.. more down to earth and realistic..

its going to be so hard to fish TNG and voyager NS9 as well

#14 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:59 PM

Uhg it sucks so far.

Doesn't fit the cannon. Main characters are completely stupid (I mean that in the literal sense, bad decision making all around. Fish head guy is pretty cool though)

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:17 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 10 October 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Uhg it sucks so far.

Doesn't fit the cannon. Main characters are completely stupid (I mean that in the literal sense, bad decision making all around. Fish head guy is pretty cool though)

i hated fish face at first but hes turning out to be one of the better characters. relatively speaking of course.

#16 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 11 October 2017 - 11:31 PM

Never was a real star trek fan, so I can enjoy looking it Posted Image - Considering the waste of "good" characters it seem to me that the book was written by G.R.Martin Posted Image

#17 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 11 October 2017 - 11:31 PM, said:

Never was a real star trek fan, so I can enjoy looking it Posted Image - Considering the waste of "good" characters it seem to me that the book was written by G.R.Martin Posted Image

I know what you mean...best character the first two episodes Cap Georgiou dies..and gets eaten by the klingons..wtf.

Edited by The Basilisk, 12 October 2017 - 12:27 AM.

#18 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

I guess I've had less of an issue with the first few episodes of Discovery than others; my main fault was that not much happened in the two-parter to start the series. I thought it would have been more interesting had they started the series with episode three and left the viewer to guess why Michael was being shunned by crew, which of the Discovery crew she knew, and what really happened to earn her mutiny conviction.

My biggest issues are with the Klingons. Their slow, deliberate speech is counter to their hotheadedness, and they may as well have all been wearing 'Make America Great Again' baseball caps with all the 'Klingon purity' talk. I'm not interested in the Klingon storyline and would rather they just use them as the menace which terrorizes the Federation and forces the Discovery crew to deal with morality of what they feel forced to do.

In future episodes I wouldn't be surprised if Michael begins to communicate with the 'tardigrade' Ripper and they find a link between what Ripper can do and the link Michael has with her Vulcan mentor, possibly allowing Ripper to act as her personal teleporter.

As for The Orville, I don't like it. It's ham-handed, predictable, and I don't buy Seth MacFarlane as the captain of a starship. I love Family Guy and American Dad, but I've decided not to bother watching any more episodes of The Orville.

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Well I have subscribed to CBS All Access just to watch ST:Discovery and has no regrets doing it. Its not a perfect show, but its way beyond my expectations though honestly that wasn't very high.

Not liking the main character so much, as opposed to the Michelle Yeoh character and the alien science officer which I think is the best character of the show. This feels to me that the show has George R. R. Martin writing the scripts.

#20 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:33 AM

Dunno, isn't some racism also part of all the star trek series?

McCoy and all his anti vulcan talk,
picard and his hate vs borgs.

what I liked about the older star trek ones was tha characters did had their rather "normal" flaws which mostly reflected RL quite well in their dose of those flaws.

Now too many characters in seriues are idealised and overdone stereotypes where all These things are too often taken to the extremes.
It even makes sense that more earlier timeline humans still have a good portion of racism.

The clingon rework is a bit odd. The old Klingons (next Generation area) were well done since they have enough similarities to justify human/klingon crossbreeds. This new klingon design Looks a bit too foreign to believe in a genetic compatibility.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users