#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 03 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

To keep things a little neater decided to separate my line art repository from the ones that have been "made flesh" as it were. So welcome to my Mech Redsign Miniature Gallery!

We'll start with my first... the Jackal, or as I call it, the Dingo
Posted Image

Based off the 3D model our own @kiriage painstakingly built out of my line art. We traded ideas back and forth for the better part of a year, even coming up with a unique hidden hip design to allow the chicken walker design to actually move like a true digitigrade.

Spoiler

Next comes one of my personal favorites... the Mackie, or as I tend to call it, the BigMac
Posted Image

This is, in my head canon, technically the Mackie mkII, not the very first, primitive tech version. The Mackie itself, was actually not only in service all the way until the fall of the Star League, but was constantly updated. This version represents the first steps into "level 1" or standard 3025 Battletech technology levels. The armor is modern, and as such they were able to add more contour, etc to the design. Eventually a mkIII chassis was also developed sometime during the late 8 series and through the 9 series, incorporating "level 2" or the advanced Star League technology.

Spoiler

Next? The first mech I ever rolled and used in TT. The Warhammer, or "Krieghammer" in this guise.
Posted Image
Mind you this is not representing the 6R or models we know in the 3rd Succession War and later. This is my own head canon "Primitive" version, using Primitive construction rules, including a Primitive Cockpit, Engine and Armor. It's armament is similar to the later 6R, but it has less heatsinks, the Armor is not as effective, and it has a top speed of 54 kph due to the primitive engine used.

Spoiler

And then we get to the big ol nasty Axeman... or Lumberjack as I like to call it. Because it's OK.
Posted Image

And yes, there is a 2N version with twin LRM15s in the works. When I have photos... so will you! Honestly, not my favorite mech design, but it was much requested, so here it is. I vastly prefer little brother!

Spoiler

Oh... speaking of little brother? The Hatchetman, or as I call him.. Tinman.
Posted Image
and Badonkadonk Cam engaged....
Posted Image

My favorite of Duane Loose's original TRO 3025 designs (and coincidentally the first mech he ever drew, as, in his own words.. proof he could draw Mechs to Jordan and FASA, lol. Mind you I didn't make this to "improve" on his... IMO that cannot be done. But in fairness, the AC10 never made sense, and there was no possible way a human actually could fit in that head. Thus.. this version.

Spoiler

.... more to come?

These are high pressure cast Resin, not 3D prints, so no STL files are available, etc... and the quality, with much cleaner castings than the average hobby 3D Printers. I hope you enjoy!

*Will edit in as painted versions and new models become available.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 04 October 2017 - 10:34 AM.

#2 c0d3rPK

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 26 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, Pakistan

Posted 03 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Awesome stuff! To create high pressure resin casts means creating dies, which prolly cost a lot. Just wondering how do you get the break even?

Also, what is the scale of these things? Look like TT miniatures (if so then what game? :D)

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 07:38 PM

View Postc0d3rPK, on 03 October 2017 - 06:52 PM, said:

Awesome stuff! To create high pressure resin casts means creating dies, which prolly cost a lot. Just wondering how do you get the break even?

Also, what is the scale of these things? Look like TT miniatures (if so then what game? Posted Image)

they are TT scale. and used for Battletech. As for cost.. yeah they aren't cheap. Fortunately I'm just the guy commissioned to create and design the art and orthos (think of me as a poor man's Alex) and these are what the guy hiring me to draw makes. So the cost, and what he does with em after? Above my pay grade.

My cost is... printer paper, printer ink, and a fair bit of graphite and art markers.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:57 PM

Posted Image

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

Posted Image
and it's ready for 3D printing

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:20 AM

Posted Image
variant

#7 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

so sweet...

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 04:04 PM

thanks.

The Maruader is tough because it's so iconic. Before I always tried to capture the feel but "remove" it sufficiently to "HG-Proof" it, like in the Redesign the Marauder contest 3 or so years ago. This time I went more along the route CGL did by hewing closer to the original, yet trying to change the proportions and the aesthetics enough to actually fit in the Battletech universe...something I feel the much loved original honestly did not do. As an alien robot it worked real well, but the pipe cleaner arms, and the all but useless legs (as in literally unable to walk, let alone run, and most physical models had trouble standing on their own). But I also wanted to capture the fluff commentary and description with the semi exposed and fragile torso and autocannon linkages, both things lost in the MWO translation. Also the fluff descriptions in the novel always gave it a lean, predatory feel, a mix of insectoid and crablike.... and IMO, the MWO looks like a fat aircraft body.

Of course... I know feelings will be mixed and many love Alex's rendition... others won't accept anything but the original. *shrugs*

#9 AnHell86

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 106 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 30 October 2017 - 06:46 PM

This is beautiful art. Thanks for sharing your work with us!

Excelente trabajo!

#10 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 03 October 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

Next? The first mech I ever rolled and used in TT. The Warhammer, or "Krieghammer" in this guise.
Posted Image
Mind you this is not representing the 6R or models we know in the 3rd Succession War and later. This is my own head canon "Primitive" version, using Primitive construction rules, including a Primitive Cockpit, Engine and Armor. It's armament is similar to the later 6R, but it has less heatsinks, the Armor is not as effective, and it has a top speed of 54 kph due to the primitive engine used.

Spoiler

Looks like Battleaxe IMO. A better one than the official art for it, too.

#11 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 06:15 AM

View PostHorseman, on 31 October 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

Looks like Battleaxe IMO. A better one than the official art for it, too.

all related mechs (Battle Axe, Hammerhands, Krieghammer and Warhammer) so not a surprise I reckon.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Posted Image

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 08:12 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:03 PM

Finally, me, for me.

My most personally cherished fan canon redesign. Inspired by the Vulcan, but obviously very very much it's own thing.

The FBR-1G Fearbréige
Posted Image

Gaelic for Scarecrow, a nod to it's parent design, aesthetics and some of the Celtic ancestry of the head designer. Of course, since most people don't speak or understand Gaelic in 3025, it is most commonly reported as the "FearBringer", a name that is considered quite apt amongst infantry squads who have faced this monster in city combat.

DOdTr4jUQAAwAnC.jpg

It started out as an experiment by me to design a Vulcan that made sense at the fluff role it is given in the TRO. And at some point I realized that having the 360 vis of one's actual eyes are essentially in city environment where the eyeball mkI is still the best motion sensor on the market. While slightly weaker than a solid lump of armor, mechs like the Battlemaster and Griffin have survived and thrived for centuries with these supposedly weaker cockpits.

Anyhow, in the early 3020s, Maverick Industries of Port Moseby (Owned by the family of one Bishop Steiner) licensed the design of the Vulcan from Mather Techno, but while setting up the facilities, were underwhelmed by many features,and so what started as a license, ended in a ground up redesign, not just of the cockpit, but the weapons package, and even things like the actuator packages, to better equip the design for it's role. Extra flexible knee actuators allow for greater and softer absorption of jumping impact, while the arm actuators takes some hints from GM's Marauder assembly and allows a faster, wider range of motion than the original.

Admittedly it loses the range capability of the Vulcan's 37mm Autocannon, and 60 meters of jump capability, but in return gains 20% more armor, and each arm cluster is able to wipe out an entire Infantry Squad with the pull of the trigger. The three B3M Medium Lasers backing it's eight Sperry Browning MGs and two Zippo Flamers are relatively uninspired, but provide heavy enough punch against armor, and in total puts it on par with most other Medium Mechs of this era for firepower, while actually being able to completely shred many Light Mechs in seconds if it closes enough to employ it's MGs.

#15 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

Posted Image

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:04 AM

And I gotta bow before the made paint skills of Kevin Witt.
Posted Image

I'm really pleased with how the resin cast came out for my Krieghammer (or for Battletech use, I consider it a Primitive Warhammer), but his paint work, decaling and jeweling is off the charts. Those PPC muzzles look ready to toss man made lightning, and the detail on the base, just icing on the cake. Wow.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 xVLFBERHxT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 10 December 2017 - 10:40 AM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image

wow. now paint them like one of your French girls Posted ImagePosted Image !

#19 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 11 December 2017 - 06:54 AM

Still want to see the Vulcan in game....

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 05:39 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 11 December 2017 - 06:54 AM, said:

Still want to see the Vulcan in game....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users