Wonder Why This Game Never Got Ported To Console?

31 replies to this topic

#21 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 07 October 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 07 October 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

How exactly would this work on a controller? There aren't enough buttons.

You actually can play it on a controller. I had a friend let me borrow his PC that had a PS4 controller configured for his mass effect games.

Left analog stick was for WASD movement, right analog for aiming/moving torso.

I didn't configure all the buttons for it needed, but I had a majority to where I could play it being able to target, aim, and command wheel, alongside consumables, and weapon groups.

Aim is wonky though. I always knew the mouse was better when it comes to aiming. I had to turn sensitivity down all the ways to aim at all haha.

#22 N0ni

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 07 October 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

How exactly would this work on a controller? There aren't enough buttons.

Posted Image

Wonky as hell, tested with gauss vomit crow. Disregarding basic movement, twisting and aiming... it was actually ok with everything else.

#23 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 07 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

try to play BF 1943 on PS3 ...was a Crap to aim with a Controller ...5 Seconds to bring the cursor of the Target ...the Thumb has not the fine Movement as the complete Hand ..bind a Pen on the Thumb and try to write you name Posted Imagefor singleplayer ok ...Multiplayer against Mouse players is the hell

Edited by Old MW4 Ranger, 07 October 2017 - 11:58 PM.

#24 qS Sachiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fallen
  • The Fallen
  • 373 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

Because consoles should be used to play COD and pacman.
The master race eats bread, while the proles eat cake.

wait...

#25 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:58 AM

World of Tanks must be a simple aiming game then. Do you lock on targets or something?

MechWarrior makes you aim accurately and Gamepads just can't do it. Gamepads are spray area targeting. no fun in that.

#26 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:00 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 08 October 2017 - 12:58 AM, said:

World of Tanks must be a simple aiming game then. Do you lock on targets or something?

You can. It locks center mas though, which is typically the armored bit.

It's used a lot on console. On PC, it's mostly used when you want to keep firing but need to focus on some high speed, obstruction filled maneuvers.

#27 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:04 AM

The lot of you saying joypads can't give you the precision needed to play MWO clearly don't play console games. Just look at the tons of videos out there of players doing incredible moves and aimshots on console FPS games, and come back here and tell me you can do those things. Yes there are vids out there for PC FPS, but there's an equal number for consoles.

I have been playing consoles for over 25 years and PC 30, and I can tell you the joypad can be as precise as you make it to be. If you're good enough, over time you can get good with the joypad.

Also the claim that the hand is more precise than the thumb, you're overlooking one thing: when the hand requires precise movement of the mouse, it's your thumb and fingers that's doing it, not your palm, and your thumb is the lead. Try playing MWO without the thumb, elevate it off the mouse, and tell me your gameplay is precise.

MWO can easily be played on a joypad. It has more than enough buttons to cover all the commands you need. It also can do toggles, eg holding a trigger like holding shift etc, to add more buttons if needed. World of Tanks and War Thunder are both on PS4 and they have PC equivalents, and not only that they are cross-platform. You can even textchat if you want since the PS4 supports BT keyboards.

Can a console MWO player best a PC player? At the top tier most likely not, but that's alot to do with player experience. MWO is less a game about precision and raw aimbot skills, and more about knowing the weapons, mechs, map mastery and how players think. These things transcend control methods. Also, it may surprise you, but a joypad's use of dual analogs makes mech piloting more intuitive than the keyboard. the WASD does not translate well to where the mech is heading, so you have to mentally map pressing W or D into the game's space by using other cues like the minimap and the arrow. The analog stick is more intuitive in giving you an idea of direction. Also the joypad will give you more precise speed control either with the analog stick or the trigger buttons as trigger buttons are (now) pressure-sensitive.

Diablo was a long-time PC stalwart until they ported D3 to the PS4, and it worked fine. So did MMOs with games like DC Universe and Destiny. The biggest problems for PGI will be the UX redesign to cater to the joypad, eg the Mechlab, it can't be drag and drop, more likely a drop-down box of some kind as you move around the mech's locations.

The idea that the console experience, be it controller or game, is a dumbed down one, is a myth perpetuated by the ignorant and bigoted PC crowd who insist they are the master race and can't see past their kbm.

#28 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:24 AM

Just wanted to chime in on one factor that seems to be skirted around in this discussion.
Consoles have graphics limitations that PC's do not have.
If a new game comes out that either requires, or benefits from new graphics engines and features (MWO, for example), the PC will be the platform to take advantage of that, by upgrading the graphics card.
With consoles, you have to purchase a complete new model (ie: PS2/PS3 and so on)
Not dismissing consoles, they have their place in gaming, and are very convenient, just not as flexible or as powerful as a PC.
Please don't shoot the messenger, just delivering the facts.
Peace and happy gaming All.

#29 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:29 AM

View PostHumpday, on 07 October 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

[...]
Thoughts?
[...]

Why on earth would anyone want to port a halfway interestingly complex game to a dumbed down platform for dumbed down people in a dumbed down version?
The console peasants shall play their car racing stuff, we play proper games.

#30 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 02:30 AM

View PostPeace2U, on 08 October 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Just wanted to chime in on one factor that seems to be skirted around in this discussion.
Consoles have graphics limitations that PC's do not have.
If a new game comes out that either requires, or benefits from new graphics engines and features (MWO, for example), the PC will be the platform to take advantage of that, by upgrading the graphics card.
With consoles, you have to purchase a complete new model (ie: PS2/PS3 and so on)
Not dismissing consoles, they have their place in gaming, and are very convenient, just not as flexible or as powerful as a PC.
Please don't shoot the messenger, just delivering the facts.
Peace and happy gaming All.

With the PS4 Pro and the XBox One X, the console is entering the PC-style of lifecycle. Also these 2 consoles have GPUs that are quite powerful and benefit from efficient programming thanks to a single consistent hardware base. Take a look at Horizon Zero Dawn on 4K on the PS4. The Cry Engine isn't exactly state of the art anyway, there are many games on the PS4 and XB1 that feature far more special effects than what the CE or MWO can offer right now, eg heat shimmer/haze, field of view.

#31 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:55 AM

Not enough buttons ?
4 triggers.
4 rightside buttons.
4 leftside buttons.
2 joysticks with each another click mechanism.
Then there is the dpad.

Left stick = legs
Right stick = torso/arms.

Triggers for weapon groups.
Dpad for shutdown override.

X for jumpjets.
Delta ○ □ for consumables.

Left side buttons to navigate weapons.
Left stick click to toggle.

Easy preliminary setup.

#32 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:45 AM

View PostBombast, on 07 October 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

Mechwarrior 2 was on everything. I wouldn't be surprised if they ported it to those scientific calculators you can play games on.

Totally possible. Just call me a cold calculated killer.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users