159 replies to this topic

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 09 October 2017 - 10:50 PM, said:

Anyone notice it looks like MWO with bigger textures and a new hud (also new units and AI obviously too)? Maybe the simple reason is just building on the same engine, and it isn't a problem as MWO can function very nicely (the server communications seem to be where it has the most issues). But to me it is hard not to see it.

The screens look amazing for pre alpha.

#42 Shifty McSwift

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,889 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:06 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 09 October 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Again I didn't mean it as an insult, just an observation.

It is probably a good thing if so, as there might be some crossover potential for development (perhaps if even just for maps).

#43 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

View PostDavegt27, on 09 October 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

another problem

from the article

you want a little bit of logistics (where you go, how you get there, how many Mechs to take)
bullets is to much

you don't want a management nightmare

lasers have no bullets, Problems solved

Edited by Lily from animove, 09 October 2017 - 11:26 PM.

#44 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:42 PM

I'm gonna just wait and see whats delivered, rather than taint the experience (even if bad) wid STUFF.

Besides Russ said dat its a solo offline game.

USER MADE MODS

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 09 October 2017 - 11:42 PM.

#45 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:44 PM

Fortunately, Russ Bullock is all about the little details.

Overstatement of the year..
This one made me laugh out loud at how much hype and vaporware that statement is..

If we take one casual glance at MWO, even a toddler can see that attention to detail is NOT a thing for Russ Bullock..

We needed to create a level generator system that wouldn’t be overly complex," Bullock explains, adding that since MW5's announcement the team has dedicated much of its time to solving this one complex riddle.

What they devised is an elegant system that takes ingredients, like different military bases, and places them together with various groupings of terrain. It’s like playing an instrument: you have several notes to work with, but how you arrange them can create vastly different songs. After my demo, Piranha Games’ senior game designer David Forsey give me an opportunity to peek behind the curtain at the development back end of MechWarrior 5 to toy around with making different kinds of maps.

Similar to creating a new map in Civilization, MechWarrior 5’s map tool lets you dictate the density of foliage, terrain patterns, weather, time of day and more. Now, all of these might not sound like they matter, but in the brutally strategic world of MechWarrior, they absolutely do. Wind storms on a Mars-like planet might blind you, forcing you to rely purely on thermal vision to see enemy mechs through the tempest. Likewise, dense forests can now cover the battlefield since Piranha Games doesn't have to account for all the challenges of syncing up 24 different players over the internet like in MechWarrior Online.

Finally! A random map generator! Wish they implement this in MWO - it would solve the BIGGEST problem this game has - repetitive gameplay forced by lack of maps..

Edited by Vellron2005, 09 October 2017 - 11:52 PM.

#46 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:46 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 09 October 2017 - 11:42 PM, said:

USER MADE MODS

Oh yes, I hope it's modable (seems the community will have to provide color blind modes).

The comparsion with Civilzation's map creations makes me worry. Civ6 was a heavy letdown in that. I hope PGI doesn't take inspiration from that particular game.

Edited by Thorn Hallis, 09 October 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#47 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:55 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 09 October 2017 - 11:02 PM, said:

Yeah, look at what happened to Mass Effect Andromeda.

Posted Image

Alpha or Beta version on the left, Delivery version on the right.

And ultimately Bioware and EA completely abandoned the game after just one quarter of a year.

There are literally TRILLIONS of ways that PGI could completely and utterly screw up everything about MW5 and turn it into a disaster of Andromeda styled proportions.

#48 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

Sounds a bit too euphorical to me. For example the random map generator. All fine and dandy but will your AI be able to handle that? Or am i going to be shot at without seeing anything because my opponent is not limited by the sandstorm. Or will my teammates and the enemys run back and forth because their path is blocked by tiny rocks? There is a difference in creating something for PVP where people react and PVE where you have to tell the AI everything. Well, we will know come december right?

#49 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:59 PM

"...for those who have grown up living in that universe, it’s these little details that matter."

"Fortunately, Russ Bullock is all about the little details."

Edited by Appogee, 10 October 2017 - 12:00 AM.

#50 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:12 AM

You mean the guy who tried to jam a weapon into a mech that doesnt has the weaponpod? All about the details babyPosted Image

#51 Thorqemada

• 6,377 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:15 AM

The Pic with the Helicopter looks a bit weird bcs the Heli Looks like glued into the pic after the screenshot was made...

#52 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:26 AM

No atmospheric haze yet in the screenshots, you need that for realistic depth or the illusion of it. So I can't really make a judgment on realistic scale of the mechs.

The Mechs need that immense scale that seems to be missing from MechWarrior games. To name it it is curvilinear perspective which forces the perspective as you get close to an object, the amount depends on the size of the object in relationship to the viewer. Works the same for 19 meter tall mechs as it does for giant starships. So basically an Atlas would have normal proportions from a distance, but by the time you were bumping up against it it would fill the view and if you could see the pilot they would be human size. We'll see, it can be done.

What I do not like about Unreal is in the past the bounding box that the maps are in is a little too easy to discern. Bad or missing atmospherics. Hopefully they have fixed this by now.

Edited by Lightfoot, 10 October 2017 - 12:27 AM.

#53 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:30 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 10 October 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

The Mechs need that immense scale that seems to be missing from MechWarrior games. To name it it is curvilinear perspective which forces the perspective as you get close to an object, the amount depends on the size of the object in relationship to the viewer. Works the same for 19 meter tall mechs as it does for giant starships. So basically an Atlas would have normal proportions from a distance, but by the time you were bumping up against it it would fill the view and if you could see the pilot they would be human size. We'll see, it can be done.

They have already achieved it in some respects, they would just need to get the size ratios of humans and smaller vehicles right, as well as having good terrain/environment destruction effects and more in depth physics to match. Which can be done much better in a single player only game, and one would hope they strive to get right.

It just becomes less noticeable in MWO where even the tiny mechs are still much taller than a human and the physics don't seem to match up with the proportions, I think.

Edited by Shifty McSwift, 10 October 2017 - 12:32 AM.

#54 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:36 AM

View PostAppogee, on 09 October 2017 - 11:59 PM, said:

"...for those who have grown up living in that universe, it’s these little details that matter."

"Fortunately, Russ Bullock is all about the little details."

I **** you not
I gave that a rant when I read it my wife looked at me funny

View PostThorqemada, on 10 October 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

The Pic with the Helicopter looks a bit weird bcs the Heli Looks like glued into the pic after the screenshot was made...

Could be because of, what's that setting I have off in MWO?
Depth of field for walking Mechs

Forgot
Had it off since beta or so
Edit: right motion blur
Doesn't it make like the same effect on high?

View PostAthom83, on 09 October 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Thats the thing comparing CryEngine with Unreal. Unreal always looks more vibrant and colorful, almost cartoonish at times, while CryEngine always looks more realistic and dark.

Personally I wouldn't be so sure about that

First there are some colorful cryengine games, Far cry 3 or primal isn't as "realistic" looking in many places
Prey has some quite wonderful aesthetics, runs on cryengine

Btw
I'm not certain if MWO still uses its "brown filter to make things realistic and gritty" still
Wouldn't be surprised if it's still there, at least on some maps
Posted Image

Edited by Peter2k, 10 October 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#55 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:39 AM

Finally read the whole article between matches. Excellent.

#56 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:40 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 October 2017 - 11:35 AM, said:

so about that radar...
sometimes minimalist design goes too far.

... what radar?

#57 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:41 AM

View PostThorqemada, on 10 October 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

That's called depth of field. Fairly new to games. Simulates 3d quite well. It can be turned on and off depending on computer specs etc.

Edited by Johnny Z, 10 October 2017 - 12:42 AM.

#58 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:42 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 October 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

Finally read the whole article between matches. Excellent.

Well it does sound great

I wouldn't even mind if the mechlab is a bit more restrictive

Ohh
And clanners invading

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 10 October 2017 - 12:40 AM, said:

... what radar?

? :D

In all honesty

Maybe they surprise us and some Mechs that have a better sensor suite actually do something for you in this regard

View PostJohnny Z, on 10 October 2017 - 12:41 AM, said:

That's called depth of field. Fairly new to games. Simulates 3d quite well. It can be turned on and off depending on computer specs etc.

Looks to me more Like the MWO setting motion blur on high, but it's been a few years since I had it even on

Edited by Peter2k, 10 October 2017 - 12:45 AM.

#59 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:49 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 10 October 2017 - 12:42 AM, said:

Well it does sound great

I wouldn't even mind if the mechlab is a bit more restrictive

Ohh
And clanners invading

? Posted Image

In all honesty

Maybe they surprise us and some Mechs that have a better sensor suite actually do something for you in this regard

Looks to me more Like the MWO setting motion blur on high, but it's been a few years since I had it even on

I don't use motion blue ever on anything either. Depth of field can look amazing though.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Johnny Z, 10 October 2017 - 12:59 AM.

#60 CtrlAltWheee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 610 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:56 AM

Looks good.

MWO plays well, but the scale has always been wonky. Mechs don't feel massive or tall. The terrain in these shots sells perspective better. And so far the buildings have been recognizable as buildings which helps sell size. These screenshots have me hyped.

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users