What If Mechwarrior 5 Flops?

118 replies to this topic

#1 Sunstruck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:19 AM

What if Mechwarrior 5 gets bad reviews on release, will it be the end of PGI?

#2 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:27 AM

It would probably get a big fat i-told-you-so. Cause you know, hindsight bias.

#3 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

They really should have done a kickstarter, that way it would be mostly paid for by people before hand and if it flops they aren't losing the company a great deal of money.

If it flops, who knows, I don't know what their budget holds as far as extra money to dedicate towards a new game and all that it takes to make one. I don't assume it will be the end of PGI.

My real question would be then, what if PGI loses to Harmony Gold in court AND the game flops?

That would be a one-two punch that could seriously disrupt things I imagine.

#4 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:31 AM

If it flops, this game gets updated and we continue to muddle along for as long as mech packs keep PGI afloat.

If it succeeds, then MWO ceases to exist within a year. PGI will be convinced of their amazing game development skills and they will create a MWO2 based on the MW5 game, and we will all get to start over. There will be no account transfers or continuations. MW5 is a smashing success then MWO dies. That is what I suspect will happen.

#5 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:37 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 12 October 2017 - 02:31 AM, said:

If it flops, this game gets updated and we continue to muddle along for as long as mech packs keep PGI afloat.

If it succeeds, then MWO ceases to exist within a year. PGI will be convinced of their amazing game development skills and they will create a MWO2 based on the MW5 game, and we will all get to start over. There will be no account transfers or continuations. MW5 is a smashing success then MWO dies. That is what I suspect will happen.

Posted Image

I hope you aren't honestly wishing for the game to be a failure. I think a successful game will help put PGI in the mood to further develop Battletech games and we'll get our expansions and Mechwarrior 6 or 7 before MWO dies.

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:48 AM

View PostXetelian, on 12 October 2017 - 02:37 AM, said:

Posted Image

I hope you aren't honestly wishing for the game to be a failure. I think a successful game will help put PGI in the mood to further develop Battletech games and we'll get our expansions and Mechwarrior 6 or 7 before MWO dies.

I don't need to hope. If PGI doesn't market the hell out of it (PC Gamer aint gonna cut it) the only ones that will buy it are, well the 30k players of this game and a few of the others. Lets be generous and call it 50K units sold at full price. Lets pretend they sell it for $100 bucks. That's 5 million in sales...if they are lucky. That's less than they raised from the founders of this game.

Double it. Still not remotely successful even by PGI standards.

Then what? Then the only thing PGI has to rely on is its long term customer base and that which maintains it...THIS game. This isn't me being dire, or hoping for a "failure" it is being realistic.

#7 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:49 AM

IF?

I will not buy it for full price. Nuff said. > 1000$ is enough

Edited by Karl Streiger, 12 October 2017 - 02:50 AM.

#8 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:10 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 12 October 2017 - 02:49 AM, said:

IF?

I will not buy it for full price. Nuff said. > 1000$ is enough

What's $60 more if you managed to spend more than a grand already? ;)

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,952 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:12 AM

its very very difficult to come up with a winner game its almost a luck thing

MW2 was the only run away hit IMHO

MW5 is almost guaranteed to be some what of a hit because its been so many
years since a stand alone MW tittle

I know I am ready to throw down money right now for the game
(it wont be any different then the chances we took when buying games from the 1980's on)

GLHF

#10 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:18 AM

View PostSunstruck, on 12 October 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

The answer to that is simple. Would you like to buy a mechpack?

#11 Armored Yokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:21 AM

If the PC gamer leak of MW5 was still in it's alpha stage and will be for an extra 7+ months then im not worried because so much polishing is needed

#12 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:27 AM

2 side thoughts:

1. If MW5 is successful, another bigger game developer might offer Microsoft much more money for the licence when renewal time comes around in 2020.

2. Has anyone considered that PGI might actual be creating XBox and maybe even PS/4 versions of MW5? They wouldn't mention this to us now, because we'd all instantly become concerned about them dumbing down the PC performance and control system to console level.

Edited by Appogee, 12 October 2017 - 03:31 AM.

#13 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:32 AM

View PostAppogee, on 12 October 2017 - 03:27 AM, said:

2 side thoughts:

1. If MW5 is successful, another bigger game developer might offer Microsoft much more money for the licence when renewal time comes around in 2020.

2. Has anyone considered that PGI might actual be creating XBox and maybe even PS/4 versions of MW5? They wouldn't mention this to us now, because we'd all instantly become concerned about them dumbing down the PC performance and control system to console level.

i just hope if EA tries to pick it up they wont overload it with Microtransactions

#14 Composite Armour

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 201 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:33 AM

If they can deliver the sandbox they're promising and don't try and screw over modding somehow, I'm sure it'll be fine.

#15 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,335 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:40 AM

if it fails: MW as a franchise sits around for another decade with no one using it. MWO support continued.

if it's successful: potentially a MW6 that's a fully fleshed out game with both single and multiplayer, continued support for MWO until MW6 is released minimum.

#16 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:41 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 12 October 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

i just hope if EA tries to pick it up they wont overload it with Microtransactions

Let's just hope it's not Chris Roberts :D

#17 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:48 AM

View PostSunstruck, on 12 October 2017 - 02:19 AM, said:

That depends entirly on if MW5 is a "do-or-die" title for the company or not. If they simply wanted to do what they originally planned back in 2011 (making a singleplayer Mechwarrior game) to create some extra revenue, then the company itself will continue to exist. But if they have to bet the future of the company on MW5...

Anyway, I'd more worry about "What if MW5 becomes a blockbuster". You just need to take a look around and see how successful gaming franchises were watered down because of "mass appeal" and a quick buck(and that included even Mechwarrior in the past).

#18 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:52 AM

View PostXetelian, on 12 October 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

They really should have done a kickstarter, that way it would be mostly paid for by people before hand and if it flops they aren't losing the company a great deal of money.

If it flops, who knows, I don't know what their budget holds as far as extra money to dedicate towards a new game and all that it takes to make one. I don't assume it will be the end of PGI.

My real question would be then, what if PGI loses to Harmony Gold in court AND the game flops?

That would be a one-two punch that could seriously disrupt things I imagine.

They really can't use Kickstarter due to Transverse debacle, I guess which is good thing for everyone else but PGI.

I am 100% that MW5 will get some numbers at first several days because it's been so long since MW4 had come out a long time ago, and people are not that well-informed on PGI. But I seriously doubt MW5 will be any good and the sale will probably strike down to bottom after initial days.

I just hope PGI would not lose too much money. It's really dependent on how much money PGI has poured into MW5. But given how Russ and Paul have been really frugal regarding spending money on development. I think PGI will be ok.

#19 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:07 AM

View PostArmored Yokai, on 12 October 2017 - 03:32 AM, said:

Microtransactions, day 1 DLCs, season passes, on an already full priced game. I'll just DL it through other means if EA/WB/Activision has anything to do with MW5.

Edited by El Bandito, 12 October 2017 - 04:07 AM.

#20 RedDragon

• 1,942 posts
  • LocationKurpfalz, Germany

Posted 12 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

View PostXetelian, on 12 October 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

I'm not convinced that would have been a good idea. Look at the Transverse debacle.People are very cautious in regards to PGI after all they done wrong with MWO. I wouldn't be surprised if a MW5 kickstarter failed because only those people would invest who throwh money at everything with a BT oder MW badge on it.
I guess their best bet really is to make a game and hope it is good enough to convince all those BT and MW fans to buy it that were driven away by PGIs many failures in the past.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users