Patch Notes - 1.4.137 - 18-Oct-2017

290 replies to this topic

#141 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:50 PM

I have the impression your balance-by-metrics approach doesn't work out, PGI.

The laser changes are a big cluster**** and shouldn't go live.

It's ok that you keep working on balance but you're overdoing it.

#142 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

I don't understand why Clan ER medium got nerfed so much. I just checked, only about half of my good mechs have lots of ERM. [/sarcasm]

I like ERM on IS mechs too but it's not great, only good, as it has less range and you won't have heavy large lasers to boat along with it. I doubt my 2 HLL 4 ERM Hellbringer needs to be changed at all as most of the time I hit the heat limit on it anyway. Still the longer cooldowns allow the unfortunate enemy Im shooting at, either more time to back off, or to charge.

And those Nightstar quirks. Wow. It doesn't have low engine cap like Annihilator, it has good selection of hardpoints, 95 tons to go around, and yet it gets some extra health spesially for CT and ST where it matters. Just wow. Not saying it's too good, but it's pretty impressive looking, at least on paper and first impression. And I think new mechs should be pretty impressive in their performance.

Clan LBX5 seems intresting now. Might make some new mechs with it plus I think it can work out as pretty good buff to the little old Dire Wolf.

But this thing is the icing on the cake. It has more LRMs that could fit into the picture. I can't wait to see those things in actual battles. Im still laughing at it.
Spoiler

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 14 October 2017 - 06:17 PM.

#143 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 14 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

And those Nightstar quirks. Wow. It doesn't have low engine cap like Annihilator, it has good selection of hardpoints, 95 tons to go around, and yet it gets some extra health spesially for CT and ST where it matters. Just wow. Not saying it's too good, but it's pretty impressive looking, at least on paper and first impression. And I think new mechs should be pretty impressive in their performance.

It has giant side torsos, it's big, it's space-constrained, and the left-torso weapons (which are pretty critical on the two variants that have them) are practically hanging by its nuts.

Should've been armor, TBQH.

#144 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 14 October 2017 - 06:15 PM, said:

Uhhh... good selection of hardpoints? It does? I think you are seriously overestimating the performance of this thing.

#145 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:37 PM

P(oor) G(ame) I(nside) ..please buy MW5

#146 Shard Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 303 posts
  • LocationPugsville, Pugistan.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

Given the track record of how PGI "balances" the game, I've only pre-ordered one Mech Pack because I just had to have them NOW, which was the Kodiak. Always been a fan of the chassis and I really like the model PGI did.

Since that point, however, I will not shell out any money for a Mech Pack until after it's released (if I buy one at all) because of what we're seeing in this thread. Completely unneccessary nerfs (again) and an issue with the Nightstar's 3D modeling which is only getting changed because a small riot is happening.

I have a hard time understanding why PGI seems like they just can't figure out that almost all of the "balance" changes they make do little more than shift the current meta into a different, still unbalanced meta. This is despite the fact that games which are actually well balanced are more fun. More fun means more players. More players means a more active game, and ultimately more money finding its way into the pockets of the developers.

Edited by Shard Phoenix, 14 October 2017 - 08:59 PM.

#147 -Ramrod-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 697 posts
  • LocationSome place

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

This might be the nail in the coffin. This may be too much for IS players to swallow. Their laser brawling against Clans will be dead. And it'll just return to Gauss/PPC/ER Large Laser boats. PGI I hope you're reading these forums...because you're screwing up royal with this blanket uber nerf.

#148 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 14 October 2017 - 11:23 AM, said:

Well,it seems this might help close range ballistic builds a bit. Might also help a bit when pushing if the laser vomit barrage takes a bit longer to launch its second salvo and third salvo...

Missiles get a bit weaker with more spread, which hurts particular LRMs and ATMs.
Lasers deliver less DPS, and at close range, enemies can't so easily rely just on alpha strike damage, since they are more easily pursued and have a harder time retreating to cover.

People will switch to less or unaffected Lasers (Pulse Lasers and larger Lasers and simply use Coolant more if necessary) and Long Range/Alpha Builds become even more potent.

AC + PPC?

Gauss + Big Laser!

DPS does not win the game - Alpha wins the game (outside the Light Mech Class and even there now).

Edited by Thorqemada, 14 October 2017 - 10:13 PM.

#149 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:19 PM

View PostOld MW4 Ranger, on 14 October 2017 - 08:37 PM, said:

P(oor) G(ame) I(nside) ..please buy MW5

To be fair, this game was only made because PGI could not get the capital up front to make MW5 originally, so MWO is basically just a means to fund MW5. I will get MW5 and I hope that it someday gets some co-op play and maybe even lets us host our own servers like COD or Mass Effect Andromeda.

#150 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 October 2017 - 11:45 PM

One thing PGI had in the past that was going for them was mech aesthetics, i guess, they don't really care anymore.

Posted Image

With that balance trainwreck, This patch is going to be something else.

#151 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:17 AM

Interesting patch notes.

I see what you intended to achieve, but those laser nerfs won't fix the laser vomit one bit as it's an upfront damage build that needs to cool down after every shot anyway. Why you nerfed the IS Lasers so much is beyond me. IS laser vomit is already merely viable.

I think lights are probably the ones being hampered the most by that cooldown nerf.

I'm really reliefed that the Nova Cat has at least the normal mobility, but why didn't you fix the Night Owl? It's still a 90 tonner in disguise...

#152 Garran Tana

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 144 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

I love the asymetric build on that Nightstar. Damn people are whining on the forums...

#153 poltergoost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:34 AM

View PostNightbird, on 14 October 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

The changes won't affect the meta much, it will also do nothing to improve tech balance between IS/Clan.

It will make it worse. High-alpha/high-heat Clan laser vomit is laughing at this change, they need to time reduce heat after firing anyway, weapon cooldown barely matters.

The lower-heat IS laser builds will be hit very hard by this.

My PXH-2, which relies on multiple laser strikes at close range, is going to be nerfed hard by this, while my high-alpha laser-vom LBK will hardly notice.

Do PGI even understand what playstyles they are affecting with their changes!?!?

#154 poltergoost

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 01:42 AM

View PostFupDup, on 13 October 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Here are some strange comparisons between lasers that are a result of this patch.

The IS MPL has a slightly slower cooldown than the Clan LPL.

The Clan ERSL takes considerably longer to cooldown than the Clan ERLL.

All IS medium-class lasers cooldown slower than the IS LPL and LL.

The IS MPL has only a tiny cooldown advantage over the IS ERLL.

The IS ML and ERML both cooldown slower than the ERLL.

This post should be pinned to the top of the forum, it sums things up perfectly.

These changes are madness.

#155 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:01 AM

View PostGarran Tana, on 15 October 2017 - 12:54 AM, said:

I love the asymetric build on that Nightstar. Damn people are whining on the forums...

Would you whine if PGI makes it symmetric? because you "love" asymmetry so much.
If yes, then you are also a whiner. If no, then what is your problem with people asking for what they like?

Also
Your asymmetric night star design would be handicapped in battle. which is the main reason people are against it

#156 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:20 AM

Bud Crues posts in this thread are brilliant 07 . I especially enjoyed being reawakened to the fact these balance changes are just to try to get us to burn more cbills and xp on respecs / trying to get us to buy hero grasshoppers.

You need to add GSP as a reward for some events PGI , to help new players out, or bloddy give free respecs when you do changes this insane, not that it effects me, sitting on 3 years of clan mechs of GSP and once i've built a mech and maxed it out and played it a bit in FP thats it, when its weapons get nerfed its usually move onto a new good mech, not waste time cbills and xp rebuilding that now obsolete weapons platform, of course I understand many people dont have the cbills to do that.

You are killing your own playerbase with stuff like this, I am starting to believe the last Tukayyid was your last chance to save FP/CW and the game

By adding in matchmaking to soloqueue FP while population was at a highpoint, unless you do some MASSIVE event giveaway and add solo / grouped queue with diff rewards (matchmaking for solo queue, MC for grouped queue etc.) You will have killed a potential goldmine infintely greater than whatever profits you have been making by catering to the "harcore gaming vanilla wow style unit group drop players" which constantly just turns more and more new baby seals off the game, you need to stop Challenger Tier Players being matched against Bronze 5 players and people will return in droves and sales will skyrocket. By making the end game only dedicated gamer friendly your driving people away from the game, you need to make it casual and dedicated friendly by 2 queues, it isnt the dedicated harcore players fault, those units like Mercstar you loved to hate in phase 1 and 2 or the new large units dominating the mode. Its 100% your inability to accomodate 2 groups, look to WoW raids tiering system for great ideas on how to cater to both groups.

I had finally saved up enough MC for the next hero mechs sale to buy a Bounty Hunter, guess I will be sitting on that MC now indefinately coz those laser changes kills it =( which means no motivation to play.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 15 October 2017 - 03:32 AM.

#157 invernomuto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,065 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:46 AM

The KDK-1, KDK-2, KDK-4, KDK-5, and KDK-SB variants have received an increase to their baseline mobility.

Finally!

#158 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:50 AM

What is a number of artemis spread reduction after patch? 25%? 15%?
Also, PGI, I hope you understand, that with those laser changes you basically killed 90% of already underperforming IS lights(compared to those little mg spammers).

#159 Willothius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 187 posts
  • LocationThe Great Mechbay In The Sky.

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:57 AM

View PostInnerSphereNews, on 13 October 2017 - 07:09 PM, said:

Jenner

• All Jenner variants have received an increase to baseline mobility.
• JR7-K has received both a Missile Cooldown -15% and some Sensor-based enhancements.

Jenner Design Notes: As a 'Mech that is primarily focused toward speed and mobility, we felt that the Jenner could benefit from a baseline mobility boost, with the JR7-K getting a bit more attention due to its lower Hardpoint count.

Jenner IIC

• All Jenner IIC variants have received an increase to baseline mobility.

Jenner IIC Design Notes: Like the IS JR7 line, we felt that the Jenner IIC could also use a bit of a baseline mobility boost.

Interestingly, the Jenner IIC -2 doesn't get anything to compensate for it's exact same lower hardpoint count.. It still only has a ridiculous and utterly redundant number of JJs to compensate. I mean, who uses 7 jump jets, let alone 10?
Can't we get some quirks for the JR-IIC-2 as well, so it has a reason to exist (other than being a rocketship)?

Edited by Willothius, 15 October 2017 - 03:59 AM.

#160 Mike McSullivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 556 posts
  • LocationHannover, Germany

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:59 AM

i hope that they rethink this and dont bring the laser-part of the patch live...

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users