-PGI

#22 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Well, least, its a draw,and not a win for the Clans. I'm happy about this result. Next time, PGI, please don't offer a `Mech as a Victory Condition. How about C-bills and a MB instead, just bigger than the defeat. Or better still, MC would be a nice prize. Say 1000 MC and a MB. :)

#23 Esarai

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:03 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 17 October 2017 - 01:39 PM, said:

Yeah, that's a pretty solid reason why CW was so bad at the start

Nothing mattered until the end. The extra time zones helped a little...but when nothing matters aside from the last 2 hours, what's the point?

If you're only focusing on the win conditions, there is no point.

But from a game design standpoint, the purpose is to keep one side from developing a lead the other cannot hope to overcome and discourage anyone on the other side from playing, especially if there's a major population imbalance, which it sounds like there was given how long Clanners reported having to wait for Invasion matches.

It's not an ideal solution, but given the situation PGI is in with this small a player base, it makes sense they chose to do it like this.

#24 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

So, all those hundreds of clan wins when the bar was pegged at 100% don't count, but a dozen or so more wins by IS in the last hour do. Interesting logic...

#25 KEINENGEL

Rookie

• Star Captain
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:04 PM

Why did we need all those days then? Make it one hour, and see who wins.
I don't think PGI will let the Clans win this invasion, so expect more patches along the way.

#26 dr3dnought

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

About 4 hours before the end I saw the war log trending towards IS. By 3 hours to go they had it halfway out of the capture zone, I figured there were a few IS units stomping clan pugs. Being a clan pug myself and already qualified for the event I decided to not play, hoping to slow the stomping. So I went to bed and now I see that IS managed to hold Luthien! Well done!

Now, since this was the Battle of Luthien, with the Clans attacking and the IS defending, and Luthien is still in IS hands, I think it is clear that the defenders have won. They should get a Mauler.

#27 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

Wait, so Clan utterly stomping IS for thousands of matches over the weekend, can be negated by a few try hards getting on for the last 2-3 hours and winning a few dozen matches, while the vast majority of the player population is, you know, at work dealing with real life?

Is this a f-ing joke?

Our unit will remember this for the next event. Don't even bother playing until the very end, because that's all PGI will base the win conditions on anyways. If that means we ultimately play the game way less during the next event, and do something else with our lives, well apparently that's exactly what PGI wants.

#28 paws2sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

IS Scouting bar rarely dropped below the 3rd bonus. IS Invasion bar didn't hardly move past zero. And then... magical IS Leroy "Zerg" Jenkins in the final hours? Uh, ok. Whatever, man.

This event made me remember how much fun Scouting is compared to Invasion. I completed the event on Sunday (or Saturday night, maybe?) without ever dropping in Invasion. And for the first time in a while, I had a good time in FP.

Here's hoping that more FP events can be completed through Scouting.

-paws

#29 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

New IS/Clan balancing mechanic, end events in Oceanic timezone.

#30 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

Basically a handful of IS groups showed up at the last minute and tipped it out of Siege right before it ended. So that now counts as a tie.

Hey PGI, the way you've structured these multi-day faction play events means its very easy for one side to prevent a win with the bare minimum of organization. One possible alternative is to make it cumulative. So if Clan wins one attack phase they get 1 point. If IS wins one, they get 1 point. Whoever collects the most points at the end wins. If you wanted to prevent people from just giving up after you reach a tipping point, you could make attack phase wins worth more as you progress.

#31 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:26 PM

dp

Edited by ShooteyMcShooterson, 17 October 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#32 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

This is just poor...in sports when games end in a tie BOTH teams get a point (not a double loss). Yeah I get it noone won but also noone lost and for all the efforts and hard work the community put into this event, it really wouldnt kill/hurt PGI to build a little good will with the community (specially after the lazer nerf fiasco and now the no patch at all bs I just found out about). If this is how things are going forward, if this is how we can expect to be treated by PGI from now on...well, I guess I have a few hundred dollars worth of pre-orders to cancel (yeah I know to the white knights I won't be missed, no worries you won't be either). I don't know what is going on at PGI lately but whomever is making decision lately is just making bad decision after bad decision and I just cant take it anymore no matter how much I love this game

#33 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:42 PM

Oh this is trash...

Why didn't we do this like Tukayyid and determine victory by which side the bar is on?

Failure to capture by Clans is a win for the IS because the planet remains in Inner Sphere possession and it can't be attacked a second time. Therefore, if this repeats itself 3 more times, Clans "lose" the season, not a stalemate, a loss.

"No clear victor" my ***!

Clans were within capture threshold within 6 hours of the competition beginning! And yet we "lose" in the final hour-how, dare I wonder? And as I said before, the Clan capture threshold had to be above 95% progress bar to win, but IS win threshold was everything outside that box. The event lacked balance and fairness from the very beginning.

#34 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:43 PM

Well that was dumb. Either,

1. Give IS the win, because they pushed the bar back at the very end, or

2. Admit that the "win" condition imposed by PGI is dumb because it literally incentivizes just playing at the very end of the event as it has been stated by many people and give Clans the win.

Saying it is a tie when it obviously wasn't based on either of the above logics for win conditions is ridiculous.

Tele

PS: Also, what is up with the lack of actual DOUBLE REWARDs for tournament supporters? Is that no longer/never was a thing?

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 17 October 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#35 Andrzej Lechrenski

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

After how this played out, I see very little incentive to participate in any more of these FW events. Only the last few hours count, and even the "winner" doesn't actually get anything.

#36 Simulacrum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 109 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

View PostLazerTag, on 17 October 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

If I understand correctly, this was a Trial of Refusal. If the Clans failed to take the planet, even if the IS failed to reach the victory point on the bar; failure by the clans equals a win for the IS. Therefore, the Clans can no longer attack Luthien.

Exactly! So that's what PGI meant when they announced the new faction play victory conditions. As I can remember, they said Clans have to capture three IS capital cities or IS has to capture two (?) Clan home world capital cities. If an invasion failes the capital city can 'never' be attacked again. If one side ultimatively fails to get their minimum victory aims the other side wins.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, PGI, if the Clans succeed in rushing through the Inner Sphere but fail in capturing at least three capital cities of the IS, the Inner Sphere will win this FP season?

That would be great! (but could result in a no-one-moves scenario if the Clans could lose their final battle)

View PostAndrzej Lechrenski, on 17 October 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

After how this played out, I see very little incentive to participate in any more of these FW events. Only the last few hours count, and even the "winner" doesn't actually get anything.

And thats the major drawback of the new event system. You could, theoretically, win 90% of the time but if the other side wins their 10% at the right time you fail to win the event. That would be a weak game system.

Edited by Simulacrum, 17 October 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#37 KEINENGEL

Rookie

• Star Captain
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostAldebrando, on 17 October 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Hmm it seems PGI dont know how a siege works. When sieging you lose the moment you cant mantain the siege, so if the defenders fight back and break the siege its a victory for them.

A tie is stupid in so many levels it just seems to me that PGI didnt wanted any side to get the reward mech.

If you are trying to bring real life siege mechanics, then you are probably right, and breaking a siege would have resulted in a victory. Provided one essential conditon: you must have some planet to breakthrough to. Luthien was surrounded for weeks, there were no escape routes. And taking the beating in the last past days, IS were exhausted enough to have any resources for even that fighting back to happen. Actually, all Luthien defenders would have been dead long before this breakthrough. Siege IRL

#38 BigScwerl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 222 posts
  • LocationPac N Dub

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

Despite a W:L Ratio of 4:1 in favor of Clans, Clan Lurm-Potatoes were harvested en-mass during the final hours of the conflict. Once Again PGI has punished those that actually played all weekend during the event! Good Show Chaps!

#39 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

posted in wrong thread

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 17 October 2017 - 02:49 PM.

#40 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 02:59 PM

It'll be interesting to see how many Invasion matches ended with a Clan victory compared to an IS victory. That is how the end result should be decided, a 'slider bar is a crappy method, plain and simple.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users