139 replies to this topic

#21 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostKuaron, on 01 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

What's its main difference to a Stormcrow?
Are there any significant ones?

Or is it rather a fluff thing (different Clans and stuff), and if so, could you tell about it?

It brings MASC and potentially ECM (if you bring it) to the table over the Crow, though the BL comes with 2 less tons of armor, so to give it equal protection you end up with around *napkin math* 10 tons for guns? Yeah, no. For now I'll pass.

#22 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:39 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 November 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yeah but the Bwhacker can't match the Crow's firepower

I beg to differ, the Bushwhacker may have a lower alpha, but it is much more heat efficient.

#23 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 511 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

gotta admit: it looks -really- cool. design-wise 2 thumbs up Posted Image

if only we could change that jadefalcon-junkstuff for some cool items, though... Posted Image

View PostEd Steele, on 01 November 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

I beg to differ, the Bushwhacker may have a lower alpha, but it is much more heat efficient.

also has actual quirks and can carry more stuff than the crow with its fixed engine.

#24 Berean03

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 34 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:44 PM

Well at least PGI had it look a lot better cosmetically than the original art. Still it will make a nice addition to my Stormcrow.

#25 Freebrewer Bmore

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 64 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD, USA

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostKrocodockle, on 01 November 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

Please up clan scouting tonnage

Or just stop using tonnage as a terrible approximation for mech strength and instead use some sort of dynamic weighted valuation system?

Jeez...

#26 Pariah Devalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:50 PM

Can't get excited for a 55 ton mech with 11.5 tons of pod space once you correct the armor. Sorry.

Even worse that it cannot be used in scouting mode because of the Clan limitations that are needlessly imposed on us.

It could have been the Savage Coyote. It could have been the Vapor Eagle. It could have been the Stooping Hawk. All of those would have been mechs of value to add. This, however, just doesn't have a niche to fill.

#27 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

It fills the niche of well....ummm....yeah pretty much a ****.

#28 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostEAP10, on 01 November 2017 - 04:08 PM, said:

Looks like a cross between the Nova and Adder! Nice!

And Ebon Jaguar. ;)

View PostKuaron, on 01 November 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

What's its main difference to a Stormcrow?
Are there any significant ones?

Or is it rather a fluff thing (different Clans and stuff), and if so, could you tell about it?

This is a much faster mech (specially because of MASC) and has ECM.

#29 Herkras

• PipPip
  • The Serpent
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

I. Need. THIS!

#30 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:01 PM

View PostOdanan, on 01 November 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

And Ebon Jaguar. Posted Image

This is a much faster mech (specially because of MASC) and has ECM.

Also has only half the podspace of the Crow. I think that is an important thing to note. :P

#31 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,198 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 November 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

Also has only half the podspace of the Crow. I think that is an important thing to note. Posted Image

Yes, so it will most likely run with energy boats (like 10 small lasers, or a mix of small and medium lasers).

#32 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 01 November 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

prob is, in Scouting, Heat Efficiency doesn't matter as much if you can just obliterate a mech with the first two-three salvoes. think a lot of people are forgetting how Scouting used to be pre-tonnage drop. it was pretty much Crows 98% of the time,and at least 2/3rds of those were Skillcrow SSRM builds with alphas that pretty much mauled anything under 50 tons and required ****-****-all skill to use. at least with it docked down to 50 tons Clans actually use a variety of mechs, I've always seen a mix of Huntsmen, Shadow Cats, Hunchback IIcs and Cheetahs since (very rarely an Ice Ferret if the clan team actually gave a **** about objectives rather than just killing us).

#33 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:07 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 01 November 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

prob is, in Scouting, Heat Efficiency doesn't matter as much if you can just obliterate a mech with the first two-three salvoes. think a lot of people are forgetting how Scouting used to be pre-tonnage drop. it was pretty much Crows 98% of the time,and at least 2/3rds of those were Skillcrow SSRM builds with alphas that pretty much mauled anything under 50 tons and required ****-****-all skill to use. at least with it docked down to 50 tons Clans actually use a variety of mechs, I've always seen a mix of Huntsmen, Shadow Cats, Hunchback IIcs and Cheetahs since (very rarely an Ice Ferret if the clan team actually gave a **** about objectives rather than just killing us).

Considering that the HMN is the go to scouting mech, now, and can SRM and SSRM with far greater volume of missile tubes than the Crow ever did? Na. Wouldn't change a thing, in scouting, to bump it back to 55 tons. Except to add the option for more variety. Also, would make 55 ton clan packs more worthwhile.

#34 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 01 November 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

I mostly see Clans using Hunchback IICs and Huntsmen with the occasional Shadow Cat or light Mech in scout match's. IS usually uses Bushwhackers, Assassins and sometimes Hunchbacks or lights and rarely Vindicators or Trebuchets. I have played scout matches on both sides, before and after the Clan drop deck tonnage got reduced and the only time Clans really dominated was when they could field Stormcrows and before Bushwhackers and Assassins were in the game.

Ah, I almost forgot the occasional Cent AH or Yen Love.

Edited by Ed Steele, 01 November 2017 - 05:19 PM.

#35 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:18 PM

in all honesty though, there's far more screwed up with FW than what mechs we can use in it. honestly, they just need to change the scoring system for FW to make how Clans get their score reflect acting like Clanners. sorta a "soft-core" Zelbrigen. Would incentivize Loyalists, and kick the people in the teeth who want to be "IS with clantech" mercs, who're the ones honestly ******* FW up the most right now.

no amount of mech, weapon or tonnage tweaks over years is going to solve what just changing the scoring system for clanners would within a week of it happening. not to mention completely nerfing the crap out of damage and kill points in FW and vastly upping objective points, so people get incentivized to actually, you, do the objective like, say, some sorta vicinity bonus for fighting by O-Gens or Omega for both attackers and defenders on Siege, or a massive increase in point bonus if you managed to collect a certain number of intel points yourself.

I capped 14 intel once,and got a score of 78. we won the match because i forced the Clans to have to run before they'd gathered any intel, and they failed to get back in time. yet my score was crap because i didn't shoot something? on a match where the objective is to SCOUT and lock down intel points, with killing the enemy as a SECONDARY objective? that really makes no damn sense. Ironically, part of why i picked up tickets for MechCon is simply the fact of being able to directly explain to whoever the FW director of PGI is, why the system needs to change. QP scoring is fine how it is. FW, however, given the focus on being an actual IS or Clan pilot, needs this sorta stuff.

Edited by Arkhangel, 01 November 2017 - 05:30 PM.

#36 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:21 PM

View PostArkhangel, on 01 November 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

in all honesty though, there's far more screwed up with FW than what mechs we can use in it. honestly, they just need to change the scoring system for FW to make how Clans get their score reflect acting like Clanners. sorta a "soft-core" Zelbrigen. Would incentivize Loyalists, and kick the people in the teeth who want to be "IS with clantech" mercs, who're the ones honestly ******* FW up the most right now.

no amount of mech, weapon or tonnage tweaks over years is going to solve what just changing the scoring system for clanners would within a week of it happening.

I know I am beating a dead horse, but Mercs should not be able to fight on the Clan side unless they become permanent loyalist "bondsmen", which would fix allot of FW problems.

Edited by Ed Steele, 01 November 2017 - 05:22 PM.

#37 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

would be a bit too harsh, Ed. de-incentivizing them via changing how Clan scoring is, however, would at least draw off a lot of the "I want to be IS with ClanTech" units, since they'd notice their match scores start dropping off because they're acting like us Stravag Freebirths, quineg? Posted Image

Edited by Arkhangel, 01 November 2017 - 05:34 PM.

#38 GamerPro4000

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationSian

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

The mech looks slick. Even though it is over toned to participate in scouting. I am glad there are more variety of mediums available for clans because the number of choices for IS mediums are way more than clan.

#39 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 November 2017 - 04:50 PM, said:

Can't get excited for a 55 ton mech with 11.5 tons of pod space once you correct the armor. Sorry.

Even worse that it cannot be used in scouting mode because of the Clan limitations that are needlessly imposed on us.

It could have been the Savage Coyote. It could have been the Vapor Eagle. It could have been the Stooping Hawk. All of those would have been mechs of value to add. This, however, just doesn't have a niche to fill.

Its actually enough podspace for one of those MG spam builds or 3 SRM6a. Considering its as fast as a Mist Lynx and can sprint up to what, 140 kph for a short amount of time? It will be fine it will just play more like a slightly bigger Assassin. Im actually more excited about this than the Hellspawn.

#40 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 01 November 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostPariah Devalis, on 01 November 2017 - 05:01 PM, said:

Also has only half the podspace of the Crow. I think that is an important thing to note. :P

Linebacker has less than half the podspace of the Night Gyr/Nova Cat but it seems to do just fine.

Folks said the same thing about the Linebacker but it still ended up being pretty solid.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users