Rubellite Oasis Teaser!

195 replies to this topic

#181 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:34 PM

Guys can I give an idea for a challenge here?
Something in the lines of... Patriotic warfare. Where the last reward is a choose your flag. In the end the most choosed flag results are posted. Iam trying to keep it simple here, but you know, alot of patriotism!

#182 Skaav

• PipPipPip
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • WC 2017 Qualifier
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:15 PM

Yay, another Map with bad vision...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

P..S. ...

Edited by Skaav, 08 November 2017 - 12:15 PM.

#183 His Mistress Voice

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

View PostSkaav, on 08 November 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yay, another Map with bad vision...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

P..S. ...

Too much fog in this post, for my taste.

#184 Bolter01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bite
  • The Bite
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:54 PM

View PostWill9761, on 07 November 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

This map reminds me of the Mechwarrior 4: Black Knight Volcanic maps.

Pirate Moon missions were cool

#185 meinotchu

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:19 PM

Still trying to figure out why they don't just release all maps for faction and quick play -_-

#186 tokumboh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 320 posts
  • LocationBristol UK

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 07 November 2017 - 01:20 AM, said:

how the hell would you know, Polar is the only map that gets voted for 80% of the time if it's in the running. you CAN fight in other chunks of other maps, in fact, a lot of wins on other maps happen because someone thinks outside the box. shouldn't judge every map other than polar harshly because YOU can't take the time to figure out a strategy for a map that isn't completely of intervening terrain. mean, hell, look at River City. every time i go there, the match often ends in a diff place. the most common is around behind the citadel, but i've seen it get fought up at the Starport, in upper city, under the starport, over by the power plant, etc.

fact is, you pick polar because you're too much of a ***** to learn to manage your heat. so stop making exscuses for it. you're not fooling anyone.

You clearly have problems. Ihave played lots of maps and personally save my votes for the least popular ones such as Bog and Mordor and Caustic since most of the time it is cold and small

Any one would tell you that the most difficult part of combat is movement to combat. it is a part of most combat simulations that is often forgotten. Polar Highland Skirmish is the only one that makes movement to contact a thing.

If you cannot see that then that is OK. I feel the community pretty much is playing on nostalgia of battletech (of which I am guilty) and the PGI plays on the fact that this nostalgia means that it is more important to have next mech pack that work on maps and game modes.

As to thinking out of the box and Maps. it is clear that most maps have limited options in terms of tactics. Some game will end up in different part of the map as mainly part of an end game and part of a retreat and escape. I don't see many game on many maps not starting in the same position and battles occuring in the same areas.

At one point PGI did a set of heat maps as to movement it was illuminating in that it pretty much was very limited. essentially most of the time people meet in the centre and go through the kill/damage thing and then you have the end game brawl down.

I would hope that PGI actually does a reveal of the heatmaps again it would counter the argument you made this one has been going on for an age it is partly because the way that matches progress and snowballing effect of incremental losses of mechs.

You can see this even in tournament matches. Where you see teams trying to use more detailed strategy, The key becomes map control which tends to place you in a very limited set of positions. I have watched many games form the MWO world championships and have not seen anything to change my view. Indeed the very fact that these are the best player in the world and the limited approaches that are taken pretty much confirms it to me.

The maps tend to create a single point of contact the mordor was hilarious since peopel just ran to the middle to juke it out. if you made the middle unplayable as Polar Highland is you find peoples movement is with more purpose and more strategic.

Clearly I have hit a nerve with you I happy that I have not convinced you but beyond being abusive you have not moved the debate but hey no one died

#187 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 09 November 2017 - 08:35 AM

Toku, most Polar Highlands matches skirmish and assault wise are fought roughly around J10 or the surrounding grid. most Conquest around Theta. it's no more viable for different tactics than any other map. so stop trying to claim it is.

#188 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:10 AM

Hmm no posts after release.

It's a very nice map. It's clearly a brawler map, but in it's desing it seems much better than others, because it just doesn't have safe corridors to advance on, those corridors branch a lot, so that you aren't hard locked into any particular lane of approach, you can switch if you encounter superior enemy numbers.

And although initially you have some long range opoturnities it seems a map that can't be dominated by long range. Haven't yet tried mobile poptarting like Nova though, even that would have the problem of not having clear line of sight to all directions, allowing any slow or fast brawlers or knife fighters to charge at you.

I think the map will not have a clear fixed combat zones like most maps do as it allows too much even approaches to respond to any random composition of teams. And as such I think people will really like it. First of course people like it because it's all new, but I think it will continue to be good because of the flexibility to most tactics. It seems a really good design and good prinsible for others maps as well.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 15 November 2017 - 03:10 AM.

#189 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:24 AM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 15 November 2017 - 03:10 AM, said:

Hmm no posts after release.

It's a very nice map. It's clearly a brawler map, but in it's desing it seems much better than others, because it just doesn't have safe corridors to advance on, those corridors branch a lot, so that you aren't hard locked into any particular lane of approach, you can switch if you encounter superior enemy numbers.

And although initially you have some long range opoturnities it seems a map that can't be dominated by long range. Haven't yet tried mobile poptarting like Nova though, even that would have the problem of not having clear line of sight to all directions, allowing any slow or fast brawlers or knife fighters to charge at you.

I think the map will not have a clear fixed combat zones like most maps do as it allows too much even approaches to respond to any random composition of teams. And as such I think people will really like it. First of course people like it because it's all new, but I think it will continue to be good because of the flexibility to most tactics. It seems a really good design and good prinsible for others maps as well.

Pretty spot on.

LRM's are kinda useless on this map since they get blocked by pretty much everything.

Problems I've seen is with mechs getting stuck trying to jump up the ramps and a metric ton of invisible walls on the lower part. Corners you can't shoot of although having a clear line of sight.

The map is actually smaller than I had imagined, which is very refreshing.

Dunno if it will be picked that frequently tho, as people tend to hate hot maps.

#190 Electroflameageddon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

I like this map.

Pros:
You have multiple avenues of attack and approach. There is plenty of cover. There is an advantage to high ground, but there are plenty of hiding places in the low ground.

It is a light friendly map.

It is a smallish map.

Cons:
It is hot.

So overall, I like it. The temperature gives it a challenge. Love to see something similar with a temperate or cold climate.

#191 Sleepyboy14

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 120 posts
  • LocationChicago, Terra

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:02 PM

I tried the new map this morning and I actually enjoyed it.

#192 Sergeant Miles

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 53 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCA

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:54 PM

I noticed several map glitches. The worst was in E7 near 2 large rings that crossed a cervese. If you walk across the ring and slide down you will get stuck in wall and can't move at all.

I was in a match, thought I would stake short cut across big ring to other side and then slide down other side of ring into the wall. The enemy had to shoot out my back.. i could not turn around inside the wall.

There is also several off rock formations that if you jump between them by accident you can also get stuck there and not able to move.

Nice map..... needs more testing and cleanup.

#193 easyday

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

I really like this map - yeah it's hot!
But I like the design...

#194 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 18 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for the new map, still learning the routes and spots there.

With the next map beeing an even more narrow full city map - are there plans for a new more open map in the future? Something like a open periphere desert planet map come to my mind. Open sandy dunes with some abandoned oil refinery complexes or abandoned/makeshift pirat forts/strongholds. Kinda combining Mad Max atmosphere with the wild wastelands of the periphere outskirts:
Posted Image
https://images4.alph...1920-661396.jpg

Posted Image
http://i68.tinypic.com/2vjociu.jpg

Posted Image
https://i.pinimg.com...dd53ff9341c.jpg

And yes I know cover will be scarce and long range fighting with shifting and moving fronts making use of the whole map will be needed - granting some more areal combat for a refreshing change. Sometimes just seeing far away secondary explosions and smoke telling about the defeat of an enemy mech.

(Right now all I need on ALL maps are ER-Medium-Lasers and SRM, so narrow is the world of MWO. Even on the few open maps there are enough safe routes where I can deny ranged combat.)

PS: Also take a look at this beautyfull concept of jjm1 even with renderings and stuff:
https://mwomercs.com...yyid-farmlands/

Edited by Ryoken, 18 November 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#195 Apollo777

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 265 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:24 AM

After so long time and so many requests PGI made a new map (I like it), but it's hot and that's why i think after this event not many people will vote for it!
It's already getting less interested than cold maps!Posted Image

#196 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

actually, Rubellite'll probably stay semi-popular. ( a ) because it's new, and ( b ) because it's not ***** Crylands, which a LOT of players are thoroughly sick of. I'm just specifically happy we got it BECAUSE it's one less chance for ***** Crylands to show up. guess what, "MechWarriors," Real Mech pilots know how to manage their heat, learn how.

P.S. not really surprising to see Clanners whining about a hot map, given half the clanners i see on ANY hot map (honestly actually probably 80% of maps, even some COLD ones) tend to fry themselves with their own heat. might be a good idea to maybe, you know, drop a ton of ammo, or maybe take a smaller gun so you can fit more heat sinks? your's ARE smaller than our's.

Edited by Arkhangel, 23 November 2017 - 04:45 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users