I Love The Folks Who Complain Streaks Don't Take Skill....

140 replies to this topic

#81 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Skilltubes are a low skill weapon. I mean like lol come on. They do have a working purpose and don't actually suck, which is gglol pwn lights in a very much BS way. And in that role they are quite good to the point you will often see them used at high levels.. when allowed, because they can be so good at that role competitions and tourneys often disbar their use as no one really wants to play or see that **** all the time.

#82 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostWolfways, on 06 November 2017 - 12:17 PM, said:

You do realise that having the reticle inside the box only makes it possible to attempt to get a lock right? The box has nothing else to do with the chance of getting a lock. Outside the box, no chance. Inside the box, a chance.
Theoretically, you could spend eternity (well, as long as a match anyway) with the reticule inside the box and never get a lock.

Lock is gained by moving the reticle towards the target. If the target moves away from the reticle for a second the reticle changes to indicate that you're losing the lock before it has even happened.
That's why lights are a pita to lock onto when they're bouncing all over the place. You have to be very precise.
Yeah I understand the function of the targeting box. It's a box that is the same size no matter what, but depending on your proximity to the target may encompass the entire 'mech or a portion of it.

I also get that as long as you have the target in your forward field of view, you'll have the target box visible (unless ECM is active and you've no counter available), so all that's left is making sure you always see your target and you keep the small circle in the great big box.

I mean sure, it's fun to pretend it's really super duper hard to do that, but, reality: It ain't that hard.

#83 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:28 PM

View PostDimento Graven, on 06 November 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Yeah I understand the function of the targeting box. It's a box that is the same size no matter what, but depending on your proximity to the target may encompass the entire 'mech or a portion of it.

I also get that as long as you have the target in your forward field of view, you'll have the target box visible (unless ECM is active and you've no counter available), so all that's left is making sure you always see your target and you keep the small circle in the great big box.

I mean sure, it's fun to pretend it's really super duper hard to do that, but, reality: It ain't that hard.

Oh, I didn't realise you were talking about after you got the lock Posted Image
My bad.

#84 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostWolfways, on 06 November 2017 - 12:28 PM, said:

Oh, I didn't realise you were talking about after you got the lock Posted Image
My bad.
And I missed the part you were talking about light 'mechs, and YES ABSOLUTELY when light 'mechs get REAL close so that their mobility can outpace turning/torso twisting speeds, they're bit of a pain to get and keep locked.

As long as they're beyond... guessing 30 meters or so, though, we're back to it being no big deal...

Let's hug it out now!

Edited by Dimento Graven, 06 November 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#85 davoodoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hitting lights with srm is not a problem of tracking targets, thats actually rather easy.
Problem is that spread is bigger than lights are at 200m... so youll miss to half of the missiles, on the other hand streaks will hit with all missiles.

Also i understand hitting lights with gauss might be somewhat hard when you only have small window before they get off twist angle, but you have no excuse if you cant hit a light at 200m with ac20.

Edited by davoodoo, 06 November 2017 - 01:28 PM.

#86 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

View Postdavoodoo, on 06 November 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Hitting lights with srm is not a problem of tracking targets, thats actually rather easy.
Problem is that spread is bigger than lights are at 200m... so youll miss to half of the missiles, on the other hand streaks will hit with all missiles.

Also i understand hitting lights with gauss might be somewhat hard when you only have small window before they get off twist angle, but you have no excuse if you cant hit a light at 200m with ac20.

I suppose you only encounter lights wich running in straight lines?

#87 davoodoo

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 02:13 PM

View PostRayden Wolf, on 06 November 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

I suppose you only encounter lights wich running in straight lines?

No i use that device called mouse to move my crosshair and track targets

it looks something like that
Posted Image
try it, its pretty useful...

#88 Xiphias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 862 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:58 PM

I'm just going to leave this here.

#89 Admiral-Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 578 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:03 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 05 November 2017 - 09:48 AM, said:

Ignoring the fact you cannot fire them without a weapon lock... and that THAT requires holding your crosshairs on the target for about 2 seconds... and you have to keep holding the crosshairs on target to keep firing them....

JujuShinobi has made a video where you can see the absolute l33t skills required to do this. Posted Image

Edited by AlphaEtOmega, 06 November 2017 - 04:04 PM.

#90 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:10 PM

He's also doing everything wrong for a missile boat and can't move and aim effectively at the same time, making a skilled T1 player do a remarkable imitation of your average potato. But it's fun to watch, right down to dying in traditional potato fashion to an actually functional ATM carrier.

#91 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 213 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:24 PM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 06 November 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

JujuShinobi has made a video where you can see the absolute l33t skills required to do this. Posted Image

Nevermind the fact that he did this with LRM15s at ~500m... And several months ago to boot... Locking with Streaks and ATMs have been nerfed recently to be harder to maintain.

#92 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:43 PM

LRMs as well.

I blame JujuShinobi. At least they didn't just remove lock-on like what happened with "Goons <3 Paul" and ramming.

#93 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:12 AM

lol, I needed this laugh ... if your using something like a mad dog, maxed out with streaks, and you think its hard ? you need help ... seriously ... maybe if you've got a 500 ping, and get 10 fps, and its the only way you can ever do any damage before death, then fair enough, that's the lot of a cheapskate, and most of tier1 can accept that ...

but when a streakboat wants credit, for using a weapon system that does the prediction for you ... that's laughable ... and every time you face the same chassis with SRMs, you will lose against any decent player ....

#94 Wolfways

• Mercenary
  • 6,499 posts
  • LocationIn a shutdown overheated mech near you.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:02 AM

View PostAlphaEtOmega, on 06 November 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

Why is his Reticle behaving nothing like mine?!
At 3:20 he gets a lock even though his reticle is clearly moving away from the target... That isn't possible.
Is he using Artemis or something?

Also, enemy team are obviously worse than the average T2 team to let themselves get hit like that.

#95 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:05 AM

Streaks are my go-to Drunkwarrior Online weapon.

#96 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

I really do enjoy when a light I just smashed with my shawodcat B, 3 cssrms 6, 2 cersll, 500 ammo, ecm, masc Terminator whines and crys and says 'streak nub'.

That really puts a smile on my face.

Let them complain. Ill keep massacring lights with the no skill streaks hehe. Preferably with emotional reactions and salty tears while I trample over their dead, buring, smoldering mechs, lying crippled under my feet.

It would be kinda disappointing if they didnt complain. It makes it so much more satisfying if they get angry.

#97 L0stA1m

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:59 AM

Every game needs a nubtube. In MWO we call it Streaks and LRM.
IS the Playerbase realy so bad, that some think homing bs needs skill?

#98 ESC 907

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 213 posts
  • Location'Murica

Posted 07 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 07 November 2017 - 02:12 AM, said:

lol, I needed this laugh ... if your using something like a mad dog, maxed out with streaks, and you think its hard ? you need help ... seriously ... maybe if you've got a 500 ping, and get 10 fps, and its the only way you can ever do any damage before death, then fair enough, that's the lot of a cheapskate, and most of tier1 can accept that ...

but when a streakboat wants credit, for using a weapon system that does the prediction for you ... that's laughable ... and every time you face the same chassis with SRMs, you will lose against any decent player ....

My issue is that people are decrying Streaks as skill-less, when it requires skill when facing skill. If a light is ******** enough to try to run 200m. or more in the open when there's a streak-boat, that requires no skill. Alpha & erased. But if a light singles out the streak-boat, starts running circles around them to prevent a solid lock or otherwise avoids extended exposure to prevent locks? Requires skill. It's really not the cheese weapon that so many are making it out to be, it has definite drawbacks.

And SURE, if a streak-boat has to brawl a splatter, it's hardly a contest. But that's not why one would boat streaks. You shouldn't bring a knife to a gun-fight.

#99 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:54 AM

Every game needs a nubtube. In MWO we call it Streaks and LRM.
IS the Playerbase realy so bad, that some think homing bs needs skill?

Get the same stats with missiles you get with your direct-fire-meta-of-the-month-mech. If you can't, clearly some level of gitgud is required to rise to that level.

Of course, both of those automatically spread damage to levels that would equate to a laserboat pilot with muscle spasms so there has to be some kind of skill being used to get there. It's not "put crosshair on pixel and make sure it stays there", but there's a distinct difference between a lurmtater and a competent missile user, and considering they have to play keepaway not to get mauled, a certain level of awareness is also required.

Juju's footfu was like watching a professional doing an impression of a rank amateur. I'd love to see his numbers actually using his hands instead.

#100 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostXiphias, on 06 November 2017 - 03:58 PM, said:

I'm just going to leave this here.

/Thread

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users