• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:27 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 14 November 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

fair amount of damage

Different people have different definitions of a fair amount of damage.

#22 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

Well still at work, but I cant wait to unbox these things. Dont care if they aren't amazing, I have hyped myself up so much I will enjoy them. So many new toys for me this patch, been a long wait.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 14 November 2017 - 05:24 PM, said:

I like how the people who don't own a Thanatos are all commenting how bad it is.

I only played mine for one match so far which isn't definitive proof of how good or bad the mech us but I was taking quite a bit of fire from multiple sources and ultimately died (thanks to the match being a near stomp) but the mech surprisingly didn't fall apart on me like I thought it would. My initial impression is that the side torsos aren't as much a liability as I thought they would be.

I also managed to output a fair amount of damage despite the match being a near stomp so the firepower levels seems ok.

So for a first impression and playing on a new map that my team got stomped on, while it wasn't a mech I would rate top tier, it was surprisingly decent and fun to play.

Again this is the absolutely first impression on the first match so take it with a grain of salt.

really? Seems like several of us commenting DO have em, so... IDK what you're on about.

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

I dish out a fair amount of damage in my 2x LB-5X/2xSRM4 Gladiator with some regularity... still not going to see me calling it good. (Stupid fun, yes....)

#24 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 14 November 2017 - 05:47 PM, said:

I dish out a fair amount of damage in my 2x LB-5X/2xSRM4 Gladiator with some regularity... still not going to see me calling it good. (Stupid fun, yes....)

You sure you don't mean Gargoyle? Because otherwise I have to wonder what exactly you're spending all of that excess pod space on...

#25 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostFupDup, on 14 November 2017 - 05:48 PM, said:

You sure you don't mean Gargoyle? Because otherwise I have to wonder what exactly you're spending all of that excess pod space on...

You would be correct. Never have kept the names straight. 80 tons of Fun, not 95.

#26 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:12 PM

Not a good mech but I'm having fun with it.

#27 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

I saw a Thanatos in FP, that's good enough isn't it?

#28 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:43 PM

View PostNightbird, on 14 November 2017 - 07:35 PM, said:

I saw a Thanatos in FP, that's good enough isn't it?

I mean, I take out my Enforcer and Wolverine out in FP (and do really well).

#29 Angel of Annihilation

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 14 November 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

True. However the best way to take it is, "A fair amount of damage compared to what I normal manage to output".

The way I figure is a good mech is a good mech and a bad mech is a bad mech so no matter if the player behind the mech is good or bad, performance is still going to be relevant to the performance level of a mech. I.E. if a bad players considers 250 damage a match good and he is seeing 200 damage out of a mech, it is the same if a good player who consider 600 damage a match good, seeing 500 damage out of the mech.

For myself, I think I am seeing roughly around 350 - 400 damage average per match out of the few matches I have played in it now, so fair amount seems to be a good description. Definitely not matching my top performing mechs, but not near as low as the worst mechs I own. As far a durability, after a few more matches, my initial experience hasn't changed much and so far it is seeming to hold up fairly well and I find myself able to spread damage around my mech pretty well despite or maybe because of the large side torsos. The ECM helps that is for sure and having such high mounted weapons in the shoulders is a definite plus. I still need to play it alot more but my initial impression is that the mech is alot better than I or anyone else expected.

#30 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

It's obviously oversized to make up for the smallish Center Torso, but that is the one benefit of the Thanatos and is more than compensated for by the barn door Side Torsos. This is always the case for the Thanny. PGI shouldn't have super-sized it. Compare it to the Orion or the Mad Cat and it's obvious it is more massive than a 75 ton mech should be.

I guess the ECM, small CT made it too good a brawler in PGI's testing? So supersize it.

I played the Thanatos a lot in MechWarrior 4 and Mercs and it was a very good brawler, but that was a different game. Still the MWO version has identical shapes.

I didn't have time to play mine today, I got it outfitted and ran out of time.

Edited by Lightfoot, 14 November 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#31 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:05 PM

The matches I've seen they some to fit just fine in the spectrum of what a 75 ton mech is capable of... pilot skill is another thing altogether. I've also seen many Thanatos in my drops, ~4-5 in some matches. Along with all the loyalty mechs lol. Bloody frickin Urbies...

#32 Gamuray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:10 PM

I played a couple matches in my Thanies with first try builds. Both matches were tough fought, one win, one loss. On the win I got down to almost 20% and survived with a single erppc remaining intact.. losing most arms, a St, and being critical elsewhere. On the loss I went down having most of my components critical. Very little twisting was done, so for some reason the ST's are helping to spread damage. I'll be interested in the hotbox images when they get analyzed.

It does decent for damage and mobility. I'd say it's good enough to enjoy and justify my purchase. The most difficult think about it is actually the mechlabbing. It's REALLY hard to settle on a build, because building it like any other Mech will result in inefficiencies. I found that one of my Thanies will be running 2 ppcs, 2 meds, and 2 asrms. Really weird, uncomfortable, but it works. (Did use erppcs my first match, but that led to like 20 overheats.. survived still cuz pop tarting)

My assessment aligns with Viktor.

View PostViktor Drake, on 14 November 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

True. However the best way to take it is, "A fair amount of damage compared to what I normal manage to output".

The way I figure is a good mech is a good mech and a bad mech is a bad mech so no matter if the player behind the mech is good or bad, performance is still going to be relevant to the performance level of a mech. I.E. if a bad players considers 250 damage a match good and he is seeing 200 damage out of a mech, it is the same if a good player who consider 600 damage a match good, seeing 500 damage out of the mech.

For myself, I think I am seeing roughly around 350 - 400 damage average per match out of the few matches I have played in it now, so fair amount seems to be a good description. Definitely not matching my top performing mechs, but not near as low as the worst mechs I own. As far a durability, after a few more matches, my initial experience hasn't changed much and so far it is seeming to hold up fairly well and I find myself able to spread damage around my mech pretty well despite or maybe because of the large side torsos. The ECM helps that is for sure and having such high mounted weapons in the shoulders is a definite plus. I still need to play it alot more but my initial impression is that the mech is alot better than I or anyone else expected.

#33 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:15 PM

I don't own one. But with my experience fighting it. It's meh, really meh. It's threatening as your usual IS heavy and stuff. That ECM is meh too, not really ground breaking.

#34 Insanity09

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:41 PM

I have the standard pack (4s, 4p, 5p). I can't comment on the other variants.

I've played a few matches with them, and I've shot a bunch of them.
Overall...
Pros: Seems maneuverable for a 75 tonner; nice high engine max so you can go crazy with it if you want; all of them have ecm; all of them have jj.
Either: most have hardpoints in both arms, so you can lose a side and keep fighting. handy, since....
Cons: Huge ST hit boxes, not XL safe unless you are playing with blind people using spread weapons only; relatively low hardpoint counts, split between all three types, no serious boating possible (it's of the fewer, bigger guns school); structure quirks, not armor; (edit) too tall (allows small mechs to leg hump you).

Edit 3: General impressions: The firepower, overall, is underwhelming. I've tried numerous builds, some quirk-centric, some not. None of my variants have quite enough hard points to really gun up on smaller stuff (4s and 4p have 4 energy, that's the highest). Each variant has about 30 sp at present. ~Half (12-14) has gone into getting the ecm viable, about 10 or so in survival, the remainder now in ops for heat. Still seems insanely squishy, esp for a 75 tonner. Torso speed is slow, hampering twist efforts, but it still seems not bad on overall agility (will probably be acceptable with some sp in mobility).

I do have an XL in one variant. I'm finding that I need to twist like a madman to survive even a few seconds. If I can figure out a way to keep most of the firepower (hah!) I will switch it to lfe soon. (the XL is now gone)

4p: Quirks for ballistic (+ AC20 cd) and missile cd. 1 missile R arm, 2 ballistic L arm, 2 energy each ST (two high, two mid/low). Hill humper/poptart?
edit3: current build is lfe300 4 mpl, uac10, srm4, 2jj, 15hs I had an ac20 in it for a bit, tried to use the empty right arm to shield (now has the srm4), but that didn't work very well. I'll probably drop one jj to use the extra ton... somewhere? With one jj gone, I'll have one ton and 2 slots, with all hp used except a single ballistic, maybe I'll toss an mg and 1/2ton ammo on to work with the srm.

4s: Missile cd and velocity quirks. 4 energy (1 ea ST, 2 L arm), 2 missile R arm. Hill humper/poptart?
Edit3: Currently this is my best performing variant (a very low bar, sigh), I've got an lfe325 w/ 2 ERLL, 2 ml, mrm30, 1jj, 15hs. The torso mounts for the ERLL are nice and high. (this was my original xl variant, but near instant death made that unwise).

5p: Ugh. Quirks for PPC and lrm velocity, w/ ballistic cd, slightly better structure than the other two (fwiw). All 3 energy mounts are in the right arm, 1 ballistic in the left, missiles in the STs and left arm (1 ea.) I say ugh again.
Edit: rebuilt my 5p into a poptart/ppc sniper. 300lfe w 4jj, 2 erppcs w/ 3 srm4 as backup way too hot, (esp with the new map so popular atm). switched to reg ppc's, heat much better, but range and min... urgh. having trouble with this variant. 4jj, btw, don't seem to provide good lift, will play with it more. (edit2) the 4 jj do not seem to give good enough lift for poptarting, given the height of the arm mounted PPCs (but I'm also not a great poptarter, so ymmv).
Edit2: Okay, given my dislike for this variant, I've been playing with it to try and make it work. I despise it. Granted, I've had a slew of very bad games, 3-12 or thereabouts almost every match, so my team has been getting owned, but I get gunned down so fast it isn't even funny (and I've been dumping every point I can into survival). Still WAY too hot. I had to go back to ER's because I'm too slow to keep people out of the minimum. Next try is one HPPC and a couple other energy for backup (for when they are inside min, didn't have that with reg ppc's), but space is also at a premium due to trying to jam in enough HS. Maybe it will be better when I've got full heat skills?
Edit3: Current build is hppc, 2 mpl, 3 srm4, 1 lmg, 4jj, 15hs. This seems a little better, since the mpl give me less heat painful firepower.
I'm still trying to decide if this will be my 2nd mech with points into the jj web to try and make the poptarting more viable.

(ed) More later if sp or varied builds seem to make a major impact.

Edited by Insanity09, 16 November 2017 - 10:36 PM.

#35 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:17 PM

Gauss + 2 ERPPC loadout could,ve saved this mech, sadly it was deemed OP, 60+ damage gauss vomit is fine though, go figure.

#36 PAYWALL

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 147 posts
  • LocationHessen

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:20 PM

The one with two UAC10s in the torsi + ECM is quite good. Two backup lasers and you can do good in it.

#37 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:46 AM

It is not the best mech in the game, but also not the worst.
Can it replace my loving Warhammers? Prolly not.

However you can build it with decent speed (I only build one of my 3 so far), it has ECM and a good amount of tonnage. If you do not boat and use good weapon choice even light ferro will fit and make it even carry more. The arms are fairly big to shield if you run it one sided and even with light engine you can go 80+ with good amount of weaponry.
My first build was sniper oriented and it works well. Good damage, good kills and kinda fun to play.
Only thing I do not like is the limited side view, almost as bad as the shadow hawk, due to narrow cockpit.

#38 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 15 November 2017 - 12:51 AM

It's an extremely okay mech.

#39 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2017 - 01:11 AM

I bought the Standard and Reinforcment-Pack and imo it is a really useful mech, but you have to take care which focus you have with them.

Its a mech with many possibilites:

- all weapon categories can be used
- Jumpjets, ECM
- good Hardpoints on STs

So its a mech you have decide for 1 direction, if you want firepower, mobility, JJs, ECM and tanky characteristics you will have problems to find a solution to put this all in 1 mech together.

Yesterday i did well with 2 Variants, the other ones i didn't drive yet.

I used the 5S with 2xAC10 with some backup weapons and LFE and a 5P with 1xLBX10, 3xMRM10 and 3xML and both did really good. the first matches i did between 400 and 700 damage, every match at least 1 kill and i could hold front lines and tank here and there.

So i will use them in FP for sure, altough there are also some negative points:

- very wide arms
- not really suitable for XL (but i will try it)
- with JJs, ECM and LFE you dont have much tonnage for weapons left

All in all a good mech and with 75 tons and ECM IS have finally a good heavy mech as counterpart to the Hellbringer. ECM while brawling is always useful and IS had too less possibilites to offer this.

I definitely do not regret the purchase Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Six, 15 November 2017 - 01:13 AM.

#40 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

I'd trade the JJ or ECM for better geo &/or more hard points.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users