Battle For Tharkad, Event Details!

575 replies to this topic

#61 MegaBopper

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 01:47 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 17 November 2017 - 04:29 PM, said:

Make it so Mercs can not take Clan contracts and give the Mercs free faction-changes to compensate.

View PostEd Steele, on 18 November 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

... you reinforce my point by saying that most players in FW are Mercs and if all the Mercs went IS, then the Clans would get stomped. During all three Tukayyid events, the Mercs all went Clan and the IS got stomped ...
~ Mr. Ed Steele making "toxic little" posts. - Steele

Mr. Steele, mercenaries are so named because they do missions for pay. Period. "In my humble opinion" your assertion that they should be prevented from taking any contract they want is absurd and laughable. If the I.S. wants Mercenary services then they must pay for them and pay well. Mercenaries go to the highest bidders so open your moneybags and pay up (you can work that out with PGI). Further I do agree that PGI must eliminate any penalty for and allow unlimited switching of factions for mercenaries since they need to be free to take the most lucrative contracts as they see fit. Further the mercenaries must also be allowed to use any mech they have with any loadout they can afford in any mission without restriction as to what side manufactured it.

Now I could be incorrect in the following but it seems to me that the clans also had weapons to counter the rotary auto cannons by 3057. If that is the case they should be introduced before this event should occur. Additionally the nerfing of LRM range, grouping and damage inflicted must be undone. That nerfing isn't anywhere in the lore and should never have occurred in the first place. The I.S. weaponry is simply too overpowered in the face of inadequate weaponry to answer it on the clan side. If you really want a battle let it be a truly fair one for the purposes of the game.

Unfortunately this quote was most notably used by an assassin of what I would consider evil intent but it does fit here (and does not apply to any IRL intent or ideation whatsoever) : "Sic Semper Tyrannus!"

To all who participate ---
Remember just because a lead in the battle is obtained it doesn't mean you can get cocky and think that's all you need to do. As a great historic baseball figure once said (paraphrased) "It ain't over 'till it's over!"

Are you getting the picture here? Do I need to say more? 'Nuff said.

#62 Siren Cortaine

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 19 November 2017 - 10:07 AM, said:

Older than old joke considering the Wolfhound, Commando, Griffin and Bushwacker exist.

Commando = Steiner Battlearmour
Wolfhound = Steiner mining suit
Bushwhacker = Steiner Lawnmower (if carrying RACs)
Griffin = ???

#63 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostMegaBopper, on 19 November 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Mr. Steele, mercenaries are so named because they do missions for pay. Period. "In my humble opinion" your assertion that they should be prevented from taking any contract they want is absurd and laughable.

While you are correct that mercenaries work for the highest bidder, this is "A BATTLETECH GAME" and in BATTLETECH, it is dishonorable for Clans to hire mercenaries and with the exception of Clan Wolf In Exile, no clans hired mercenaries.

#64 MegaBopper

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 06:26 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 19 November 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

While you are correct that mercenaries work for the highest bidder, this is "A BATTLETECH GAME" and in BATTLETECH, it is dishonorable for Clans to hire mercenaries and with the exception of Clan Wolf In Exile, no clans hired mercenaries.

Well this "BATTLETECH GAME" allows for Mercenaries to be hired anyway. And as mercenaries we will take the contracts from the highest bidders. It doesn't matter who offers them. I repeat that if the I.S. wants the services of the mercenaries they need to pay up and pay well or they will find us working for the highest bidders who will often be their enemies. If you feel the clans are being dishonorable you are certainly welcome to challenge them. As for mercenaries we will do our fighting for the highest bidders.

Best Regards,

Edited by MegaBopper, 19 November 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#65 Captain Zapp

• PipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 23 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:30 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 17 November 2017 - 11:21 PM, said:

Please for the love of God, don't input a system that allows for last minute dunk-a-trons to tip the scales in the final hours...

Ah but you forget..... you just can't keep a good "drunk-a-tron" down! and like any member of an underground resistance they need to be considered, as nothing is ever truly won until it is over!.
War is invariably an all or nothing affair that pays very little heed to playing fair. LOL

Edited by Captain Zapp, 19 November 2017 - 09:36 PM.

#66 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

What is the point? The only options are non-defined victory conditions for the IS and tie conditions for the Clans since there are no Clan victory conditions (Luthien taught us that).

Edited by Jep Jorgensson, 19 November 2017 - 09:42 PM.

#67 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 10:21 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 19 November 2017 - 06:04 PM, said:

Just for the heck of it... Take the ARDC (Arc-Royal Defense Cordon). It was formed of local militias and mercenaries to defend Lyran space against a Jade Falcon invasion. Even Clan Wolf-in-Exile took part in the defense in 3058 against Falcon forces. So... since we don't actually have the Wolf-in-Exiles, you could just allow Steiner players to field clan mechs.

Then again... MWO has derived so much from lore already and this battle will again be basically the same sauce with the same flavour and just another make up. Clans will horribly stomp IS, victory bar will be around 90% clan, IS will make a last effort push to lower the victory bar, battle will end in a tie and clan players will complain the living bajeebus out of this board.

And the Grasshopper will outperform every other mech and will get nerfed... again.

#68 Kwea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 11:15 PM

View PostMegaBopper, on 19 November 2017 - 01:47 PM, said:

Mr. Steele, mercenaries are so named because they do missions for pay. Period. "In my humble opinion" your assertion that they should be prevented from taking any contract they want is absurd and laughable. If the I.S. wants Mercenary services then they must pay for them and pay well. Mercenaries go to the highest bidders so open your moneybags and pay up (you can work that out with PGI). Further I do agree that PGI must eliminate any penalty for and allow unlimited switching of factions for mercenaries since they need to be free to take the most lucrative contracts as they see fit. Further the mercenaries must also be allowed to use any mech they have with any loadout they can afford in any mission without restriction as to what side manufactured it.

Now I could be incorrect in the following but it seems to me that the clans also had weapons to counter the rotary auto cannons by 3057. If that is the case they should be introduced before this event should occur. Additionally the nerfing of LRM range, grouping and damage inflicted must be undone. That nerfing isn't anywhere in the lore and should never have occurred in the first place. The I.S. weaponry is simply too overpowered in the face of inadequate weaponry to answer it on the clan side. If you really want a battle let it be a truly fair one for the purposes of the game.

Unfortunately this quote was most notably used by an assassin of what I would consider evil intent but it does fit here (and does not apply to any IRL intent or ideation whatsoever) : "Sic Semper Tyrannus!"

To all who participate ---
Remember just because a lead in the battle is obtained it doesn't mean you can get cocky and think that's all you need to do. As a great historic baseball figure once said (paraphrased) "It ain't over 'till it's over!"

Are you getting the picture here? Do I need to say more? 'Nuff said.

You think IS weapons are OP? LOL

A number of good groups went IS, and teamwork is OP, which is why clans lost recently. Clan tech is still amazing though.

Edited by Kwea, 19 November 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#69 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:32 AM

@Kwea: yep, prob is no amount of better tech will ever make a pilot better. I'm actually thinking a lot of those Merc units went IS just for the fact of trying to see if they can push up into the Clan homeworlds since they're actually considered part of the map now.

#70 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:36 AM

I just hope for 3 things:

1) That all the factions will be able to paricipate

2) That the win / loss won't be gimicked and rigged like the last Tukayyid was, so that a few last-minute matches can undo a few days of effort.

3) That there will be a main reward in the shape of a Steiner themed or Jade Falcon themed mech. I suggest Zeus or Highlander for Steiner (IS side) and Summoner or Night Gyr for Jade Falcon (Clans side).

#71 Bad Karma 989

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

Is this a bad time for the news to spread that MS is gonna be Clan by the time this starts?

#72 ThunderKats

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 12:55 AM

Is this game free2play? Do I need to pick a loyalist contract to join this battle?

#73 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:43 AM

All this silly talk of balance, lore, battles that have meaning! Look at his shiny mech pack. LOOK AT IT! You know you want it! Act now and we throw in a Tharkad cockpit item and possibly a green bird something warhorn. Pssssst! Shiny mechpack!

#74 Genesis23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 227 posts
  • LocationKanton Bern, Switzerland

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:43 AM

if you want mercs to play IS but not forcing them to do so, simply ajust the rewards for Mercs on Clan side and make them utter garbage, like 100k c-bills or something on Clan side, an atlas and a few millions c-bills on IS side for example.

Since hiring Mercs is considered dishonorable for Clanners but Clan tech is still easier to play (and more importantly, to win) with, this could be a fair way to balance things: either put some efford in it and get rewarded accordingly, or play easymode and get barely enough to pay for your ammo.

Locking Mercs to IS would not really be fair per se, but would still amusing to watch the Clanners to be crushed for once and the IS coming out on top. Just once...

Edited by Genesis23, 20 November 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#75 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:51 AM

View PostNema Nabojiv, on 17 November 2017 - 04:36 PM, said:

Please let it not be a cougar reward.

I thought that the clanners liked cougars.... what with all young mech warrior women out fighting.

#76 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

Here I thought it was going to be a civil war event >.<

You cause there actually was a Battle for Tharkad, and even Wolf and Exile was there so could have had some good match ups but sigh...

#77 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:51 AM

What's OP are coordinated merc units deciding the tide of war.

#78 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 20 November 2017 - 06:52 AM

View PostThunderKats, on 20 November 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

Is this game free2play? Do I need to pick a loyalist contract to join this battle?

1. Yes. But why are you asking? You've had an account here for over a year and bought at least one mech pack, so you should have gotten the hang of how it worked a long time ago...

2. Event details will be announced today. If Luthien is anything to go by, it had rewards for all IS / Clan participants and cosmetic rewards for loyalists of specific sub-factions.

Edited by Horseman, 20 November 2017 - 07:37 AM.

#79 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 08:50 AM

Got all excited thinking it was Davion vs Steiner at first.... Tempted to come back and help the clans stomp on Steiner but probably un-needed. ;)

#80 Jell0r

• Pip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

View PostKhobai, on 19 November 2017 - 12:26 AM, said:

steiner scout lances dont have a choice Posted Image

Steiner has plenty of Light Mechs to chose from, The Zeus and Banshee to name but a few

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users