Idiot Savant

70 replies to this topic

#1 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:15 AM

Hey hey!

My name is LEE H4RVEY and i'm a mechoholic. For the record, my name was taken from my favorite scene in the movie "Tommy Boy"... NOT after the alleged murderer of JFK.

I ain't a rookie pilot but I have never advanced higher than the sub-basement of tier 3.

I start this topic up to announce my quixotic quest to advance to tier 1 whilst piloting nothing but a Spider. The SDR-5V is my chosen steed... If you see me in a match, please say hello and know that I will be playing the objectives. Battery runner/Resource capper/DOMINATION circle capper etc... In ASSAULT matches I will only cap as needed. In SKIRMISH I will fight.

If i'm alive at the end of the match I will not run and hide unless it means we can win by my hauling @$$. If the game is lost then I will not make it drag on by hiding.

GLHF See you on the battlefield.

#2 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:26 AM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 18 November 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

I start this topic up to announce my quixotic quest to advance to tier 1 whilst piloting nothing but a Spider. The SDR-5V is my chosen steed...

Why?

T.

#3 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:42 AM

View PostTereva, on 18 November 2017 - 08:26 AM, said:

Why?

T.

For the challenge it will undoubtedly be.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

My boy, you are but insane. It is a shame that you do not have access to Clan Heavy medium lasers, it would make such a daunting task easier.

Personally I would shift the challenge to include all Spiders and not just the one. But to each their own.

Side note: It is a great time for Spider 5Vs though... Snub and Light PPCs can provide some exceptionally functional instant firepower for peeking. Twin Medium Pulse Lasers or a single Large Pulse Laser is also reasonably effective.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:36 AM

I offer every enchouragement for someone trying to reach tier 1 with the most lightly armed, most mobile Mech in the game.

it is also my favorate but I have not found it to be the most effective Mech for combat.

My support for this quest asside I think announcing your quest would be better served in General Discussion or off topic (or jetisonned comunication because that would allow the thread to reach its full potential) than New Player Help, mostly because you declair you are not a new player and are not asking for help [attempt at humor](unless the thread is a cry for such, although not the sort I am able to provide)[/attempt at humor]

#6 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

You-re right. I should have posted this elsewhere. I did this with the hope that someone would drop some ideas. I also hoped some new players would think, "If he can do that then I can play any mech I want. Screw the meta." :)

@Koniving I tried your Snub Nose ppc idea. It's my favorite build.

#7 mistlynx4life

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:16 PM

I actually started something similar last night, tracking the trek from new account to Tier 1 with an unskilled MLX-G. I love folks that do these sorts of things. Something to note - your journey is made easier with damage. Damage being the number one factor in match score and match score being the catalyst for PSR change. I suspect this is why we hear T1 folks saying they don't know how they got there. I absolutely respect your dedication, sir. Stomp on! ;)

#8 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:29 PM

Novacats eat spiders and play with their riped of leggs Posted Image
Hehehe have fun ....untill we meet Posted Image

#9 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 18 November 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Novacats eat spiders and play with their riped of leggs Posted Image
Hehehe have fun ....untill we meet Posted Image

Challenge... accepted. :P Now I just need to git gud....

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 18 November 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#10 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:12 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 18 November 2017 - 07:15 AM, said:

The SDR-5V is my chosen steed...

I can't help with your quest on the skill department, but I can drop a Spider 5D build if you desired it. I have one set up with ECM, a LL and two ERMLs. It sports an XL 255, 5 JJs and near max armor. I think it's about as good of a balance you will probably find between firepower, armor and speed/jump.

The 5V is a tough chassis to use... so I do wish you luck on that. You are going to be very limited in options, as already mentioned previously...

#11 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:16 PM

View PostTesunie, on 18 November 2017 - 03:12 PM, said:

I can't help with your quest on the skill department, but I can drop a Spider 5D build if you desired it. I have one set up with ECM, a LL and two ERMLs. It sports an XL 255, 5 JJs and near max armor. I think it's about as good of a balance you will probably find between firepower, armor and speed/jump.

The 5V is a tough chassis to use... so I do wish you luck on that. You are going to be very limited in options, as already mentioned previously...

Thanks. Is the LL in the center torso?

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 18 November 2017 - 04:18 PM.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 18 November 2017 - 04:16 PM, said:

Thanks. Is the LL in the center torso?

Yes. CT LL and 2 ERMLs in the arm.

#13 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 18 November 2017 - 08:42 AM, said:

For the challenge it will undoubtedly be.

Fair enough, good luck.

T.

#14 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

Thank you both.

So far I made it to the basement of tier 4. Looking for the staircase leading up...

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 19 November 2017 - 03:13 PM.

#15 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 05:33 PM

It turns out I kinda suck (check me on the leaderboards) and my most effective build is 1 LPL with the max engine XL285 and 2 jjs. I have range/heat gen firepower skills and maxed speed tweak (165.4 ? kph). I usually bring a couple of arty or air strikes to boot because damage numbers aren't great with the one laser.

Still climbing... ever so slowly.

Everybody else: "Why does this goober think we care about this?"
Me: "Hmm... good question."

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 27 November 2017 - 05:36 PM.

#16 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

Hmmm interesting challenge,

Tempted to try it on an alt account

#17 Tereva

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 06:58 PM

View PostLEE H4RVEY, on 27 November 2017 - 05:33 PM, said:

Everybody else: "Why does this goober think we care about this?"
Me: "Hmm... good question."

If they do not want to share, it's better they stay away from the forums Posted Image

Some advice, I have never played the Spider (I have some hours in Firestarter, Locust and Raven though). I think you will be more effective close up and personal. Be sneaky, shoot in the back, run, be sneaky, shoot in the back...

The trick is to play VERY conservative at the beginning of the game. Scout, look for isolated target or ones that try to be sneaky. Be active, but do not necessarily engage.
After a couple of minutes, you can start shooting those lasers and poke and be annoying. If you have MG, look for opened legs, CT or shoulders and try to finish them off.

If your mech is fast enough > 100Kmph and you find an isolated heavy or even better an assault, you can try to do some circle of death. Circling close and keep shooting the legs while avoiding yours to be hit.
It is a lot easier that it seems. Start with assaults (you can always find one isolated at the end of a game).

Good luck

T.

Edited by Tereva, 27 November 2017 - 11:01 PM.

#18 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 07:35 PM

View PostTereva, on 27 November 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

If they do not want to share, it's better they stay away from the forums ;)

Some advice, I have never played the Spider (I have some hours in Firestarter, Locust and Raven though). I think you will be more effective close up and personal. Be sneaky, shoot in the back, run, be sneaky, shoot in the back...

The trick is to play VERY conservative at the beginning of the game. Scout, look for isolated target or ones that try to be sneaky. Be active, but do not necessarily engage.
After a minute, you can start shooting those lasers and poke and be annoying. If you have MG, look damaged legs or CT or shoulders and try to finish them off.

If your mech is fast enough > 120Kmph and you find an isolated heavy or even better assault, you can try to do some circle of death. Circling close and keep shooting the legs while avoiding yours to be hit.
It is a lot easier that it seems. Start with assaults (you can always find one isolated at the end of a game).

Good luck

T.

Thanks. Great advice for me and anyone else looking to pilot light mechs.

@RESPEK I have been having a ton of fun. It is proving to be even tougher than I thought it would be and i'm only about a quarter of the way through tier 4. It may not be realistic for me to take the Spider 5V all the way to tier 1. If you go for it then I hope the best.

Edited by LEE H4RVEY, 27 November 2017 - 07:47 PM.

#19 LEE H4RVEY

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:45 PM

Broke my 5V streak. Bought a 5D, checked it out in Mechlab and forgot to switch back to my 5V before launching a QP match. $#@&. Still only had 2 lasers.

#20 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 29 November 2017 - 06:20 PM

Heheh - eww.

However, that Spider is one of my Favorite Light 'Mechs.

It's also the 'mech I used to earn this Neat Title under my name.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users