Why Do You Want To Play Faction Play?

Gameplay General

42 replies to this topic

Poll: Faction Play. (179 member(s) have cast votes)

Why do you play Faction Play?

1. Longer game duration (69 votes [11.42%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.42%

2. Drop Decks (94 votes [15.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.56%

3. Siege Mode/Maps (61 votes [10.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.10%

4. Voted Emphasis on team work (101 votes [16.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.72%

5. Voted Fighting for a faction (64 votes [10.60%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.60%

6. Being a loyalist (42 votes [6.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.95%

7. Being a mercenary (16 votes [2.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.65%

8. Being a freelancer (3 votes [0.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.50%

9. Influencing the map (41 votes [6.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.79%

10. Voted The hope of more depth (113 votes [18.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:18 PM

View PostApexSun, on 19 December 2017 - 02:35 PM, said:

drop decks in the lead, imagine how much less QP would suck if you could swap out a mech of equal or lesser tonnage after the map/mode selection?

Yes, exactly. You can't even utilize camo properly in QP. I have a bunch of mechs painted white for snow maps, yellow/orange for Sulphur or Hellebore, etc. Camo is just for show in QP.

#22 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:19 AM

I have at least 25 mechs which are build for FP and they are not thought to be played in QP. I like the difference between the setup ideas and the worth of a good combination of Mechs in a well-thought dropdeck.

It's just a nice experience to drop with friends in match which is challenging over 20-30 minutes and the enemies are usually veterans to fight against.

And it is the only game mode where we can play IS vs. Clan. If you are pushing into a brawl, this single push lasts longer than most QP matches. There you can show skills and sometimes (if you have a good run) you can be a real hero...QP is just for warming up for the real fights.

#23 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:06 AM

When you have those matches that take the full 30min and it's a neck and neck battle to the end it's extremely enjoyable... win or lose.
You start to get that feel of Faction Play being an epic conflict.

There are some really good aspects to Faction Play but it just hasn't reached that next level that has made the mode feel complete.
That's one of the reasons for doing this poll.
It's then down to working out some details.

#24 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:37 AM

View Post50 50, on 04 December 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

This is not about what was initially promoted as what the mode might have and achieve.
Just a poll about what is it about the mode right now that you prefer over Quick Play.

Edit: 09/12/2017
I'll open this up for comments, is there an aspect of faction play I have not included that should be added to the poll?
If so, please state reasons.

Needs new option:
The higher pay of stacking 4 hero mechs, netting a thousand cbills with low effort in 30 minutes or less.

#25 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:41 AM

No option for, "I don't."

=[

#26 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 31 December 2017 - 02:53 AM

My vote is for "The hope of more depth", but to be honest, i'm voting for "inertia of hoping CW will become what devs did promised us early". My biggest regret is failure of delivering lore units, as separate unit type. Could be, it would solve many PUG problems.
Despite this, i still try to play it
Posted Image

#27 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:46 AM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 31 December 2017 - 02:53 AM, said:

My vote is for "The hope of more depth", but to be honest, i'm voting for "inertia of hoping CW will become what devs did promised us early". My biggest regret is failure of delivering lore units, as separate unit type. Could be, it would solve many PUG problems.
Despite this, i still try to play it
Posted Image

How would that solve any problems? The potatos would still be potatos with eridani light horse tags.

#28 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:39 AM

View PostJohnathan Tanner, on 31 December 2017 - 03:46 AM, said:

How would that solve any problems? The potatos would still be potatos with eridani light horse tags.

An easier accessed platform for coordination. A middle ground between solo and group. In time, people will get used to each other, and teamwork could emerge. I wrote some design documents in suggestions, but they are probably long gone, so i will not bother again.

Edited by Sigmar Sich, 31 December 2017 - 05:39 AM.

#29 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 01 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

View Post50 50, on 04 December 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

This is not about what was initially promoted as what the mode might have and achieve.
Just a poll about what is it about the mode right now that you prefer over Quick Play.

Right now, none of the options. Right now, I don't want to play Faction Play at all. IF there were things like immersion, faction perks, tactical depth, RnR - yes.

#30 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

In 2017 I was playing FP to earn Clan loyalty points... but in 2018 it's become so frustratingly hard to earn them that I'm just going to stop playing FP outside of FP events. I prefer QP anyway.

So the 2017 answer was : For Loyalty Points and FP events.
And the 2018 answer is : For FP events.

And neither are available on your list of answers.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 05 January 2018 - 10:52 PM.

#31 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 03:46 AM

Aside from drop decks and the lore/faction aspect, I like playing FP because the payouts are a hell of a lot better even for a mediocre or poor performance.

It really, really sucks to drop into QP in an assault be the only assault on the team and get focused and killed before I can do much of anything, then end the match without even enough Cbills to buy a damn consumable.

At least in FP if I have a bad performance in one mech I have three more to work with, and even if I don't have a good match in those the payout still feels like it was worth the attempt.

And of course, if I do do well and win the payout is that much better than it would've been in QP, too. As someone with a small number of mechs and not much in the way of cbills or premium time, the payout is absolutely a major factor.

Of course, if there's no event going on it's likely to be a 12man v pugs stomp so there's not much reason to bother, but that's a different story.

#32 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

Can you add “because an event is running” for maxed out loyalists that have nothing left to grind for?

#33 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

Because we all love that moment your decide to bring out your Brawling Atlas and Polar Highlands or Alpine get a 85% pick-rate.

#34 GloriouslyIncandescent

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 4 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 January 2018 - 04:03 PM

I used to play faction play for two reasons: You could make serious cbills from victories even quick games, running 30% bonus mechs (almost 2 mil a game). The teamwork was nice even just solo dropping it felt like more of a team game.

However now I play faction for one reason only: Events for free stuff.

I'm not even joking, faction play has become a meme, it's such a joke of a gamemode now whereby the playerbase is so small that majority of players are grouped into 2-3 units and wherever they go all the serious players follow because if you're not with them, you generally lose.

It's pathetic that an entire game mode of a game is dictated by a handful of players in organised groups, made worse by the fact that the gamemode completely and utterly removes any hope of enjoyment for any player that is not in a large, active unit.

Simple fact is while I love this game there's so much stupidity going on at a development level. Pretty much now decided to stop playing all together unless a mate is online or an event crops up, because the game isn't fun anymore.

#35 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

Why do I want to play faction?

To spawn camp your enemies. To force them to vainly try and gen rush. And to hear the hackusations of their pugs.

#36 Direwoof

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 127 posts
  • LocationKamloooooooops

Posted 08 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Because I like having a faction to fight for. And I like being on a unique side. I just wish it were better balanced.

#37 Emeraudes

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 01:03 AM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 07 January 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

Because we all love that moment your decide to bring out your Brawling Atlas and Polar Highlands or Alpine get a 85% pick-rate.

Yeah man, I love getting ERLL'd while strolling to cover at 50kph. /s

Honestly though, I want to play faction because there's a sense of control over what you bring to the fight in a group. QP doesn't allow me to choose my mech based on the map picked and the group queue restricts tonnage ridiculously hard in groups of more than 4.

#38 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:31 PM

QP is so random and haphazard. 24 random mechs drop onto a random map. You have a mix of weight classes and a jumble of builds, including brawlers, snipers, lurmers, etc. It’s nothing like a real battle, more like a simulation run by RNG.

When was the last time in QP you saw 24 assaults facing off in a real line battle? Oh right, never. People who **** on FW don’t know the joy of a 12 BLR vs 12 Kodiak faceoff, or seeing 12 Annis/Atlases smashing through a line of Dires/Kodiaks/MCIIs. Those are some amazing, awesome game experiences. Much better than stomping some poor schmuck who brought a slow brawler to Polar or a laser boat to Terra Therma. In any QP match probably a third of the pilots bring The Wrong Mech. That’s crap.

#39 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:05 AM

View PostRemover of Obstacles, on 07 January 2018 - 11:06 AM, said:

Can you add “because an event is running” for maxed out loyalists that have nothing left to grind for?

Um... the eternal hope for more depth?

#40 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:13 AM

View PostGloriouslyIncandescent, on 07 January 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

I'm not even joking, faction play has become a meme, it's such a joke of a gamemode now whereby the playerbase is so small that majority of players are grouped into 2-3 units and wherever they go all the serious players follow because if you're not with them, you generally lose.

Funny, as loyalist i don't care where the "big" units are atm. And i have a W/L ratio of 2.15 in FP in about 600 matches this season.

My unit has a W/L ratio of 1.25 as Steiner loyalists. Dudes who are changing sides because of the "big ones" are only feared to question themselves when they get stomped...so they are running after the "big ones" like little rats after the lions.

Edited by Bishop Six, 09 January 2018 - 01:13 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users