#101 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

View PostThe Zohan, on 10 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

Thats not the point. They crossed the line already with that modified industrial mech. But that story at least is believable. An unknown clan omni, not so much. Whats next, made up weapons to go with the made up mech? They set a bad precedent with said Roughneck and should have kept it that way.

The BT franchise is NOT PGIs to do whatever they please. Its a 30some years old universe with a rich background and history. This is why people love it so much. There are plenty of mechs to pick from without making one up. A friggin clan omni to boot.
If they want to do new stuff, fine. Just rename the game and do whatever the hell you please. But dont advertise it as "a Battletech game", cause it is not. They wonder why the hell ppl quit playing the game and spending money: stuff like this abomination here is one of the reasons.

Yeah it's not like the makers of the BattleTech tabletop game published an entire 352 page rule book called Tech Manual for the sole purpose of providing construction rules for players to create their own custom Mechs or anything.

#102 Trenchbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:14 PM

View PostRaptorRage, on 10 December 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

Yeah it's not like the makers of the BattleTech tabletop game published an entire 352 page rule book called Tech Manual for the sole purpose of providing construction rules for players to create their own custom Mechs or anything.

It's like modern politics. People will come up with or follow whatever they need to fit their narrative. Any information against them is either fake, stretched, irrelevant, or fabricated, and they won't mention it or actively demonize it.

Edited by Catten Hart, 10 December 2017 - 01:16 PM.

#103 The Zohan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:34 PM

View PostCatten Hart, on 10 December 2017 - 01:14 PM, said:

It's like modern politics. People will come up with or follow whatever they need to fit their narrative. Any information against them is either fake, stretched, irrelevant, or fabricated, and they won't mention it or actively demonize it.

Stop making idiotic comparisons. These two topics are not comparable.

#104 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 10 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Think of it like this: Does anyone remember how to calculate THAC0?

Things change; get over it. I mean we have like 15 more space drama movies based on a single trilogy from 1979 thanks to new ideas.

Edited by stealthraccoon, 10 December 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#105 Ced Riggs

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 825 posts
  • Locationunclear, mech stuck in bay.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:41 PM

View PostThomas G Wolf, on 10 December 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Another non cannon Mech, err no thanks I will pass on this Thing as well, not buying stuff that does not exist in the BT world.

... but when the next TRO came out, you bought it and fawned over all the new mechs. The mental gymnastics to retain such inane perspectives are mindboggling.

#106 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

Personally I don't have a 70 ton mech I use so this would fill a gap for me and provide some options for drop decks I currently don't have. Bit of a spidery look to it and some similarities to a Locust or Cicada. It also shares some resemblance to an AT-ST.

View PostThe Zohan, on 10 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

The BT franchise is NOT PGIs to do whatever they please. Its a 30some years old universe with a rich background and history. This is why people love it so much. There are plenty of mechs to pick from without making one up. A friggin clan omni to boot.
If they want to do new stuff, fine. Just rename the game and do whatever the hell you please. But dont advertise it as "a Battletech game", cause it is not. They wonder why the hell ppl quit playing the game and spending money: stuff like this abomination here is one of the reasons.

You seem upset and unnecessarily so.
Other mechs have been added over time from various sources.
So what.
To get a new design added to MWO that can contribute to the builds in Battletech is nice.
Given that all this is sent over to Catalyst and they check the design, go through the concept and then approve and write the history for it themselves.... it's been accepted by them.

We get existing mechs from the TRO added to the game the other 11 months of the year.
So if we get a single new design with variants announced at an event where we have PGI, Harebrained and Catalyst all involved and revitalizing the genre, it's a good thing and they have more right to do so than anyone else.

#107 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:49 PM

Nothing wrong with adding more mechs, I'm just looking at geometry, hardpoints, and shielding. This mech will have weak STs and no arm shield ability, which is why it'll be harder to pilot than existing 65 75 tonners. (It's very different from the summoner so if you HAVE to have a different 70 tonner...)

Edited by Nightbird, 10 December 2017 - 07:50 PM.

#108 Cyndryn

• Pip
  • The Cub
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:20 PM

I find it funny that people are complaining about an original design... when Mechwarrior is based on Battletech, a game that has rules for designing your own battlemechs in the basic rules...

#109 Smargl

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 50 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:26 PM

This mech looks like it was Locust IIC, but in the last moment became 70t. :)

#110 Genesis23

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 227 posts
  • LocationKanton Bern, Switzerland

Posted 11 December 2017 - 02:37 AM

o damnit PGI, i am still collecting my mechs named after insects and Arachnids and now you create another one, a clan one at that? ah well, collectors gotta collect i guess ^^'

and dont listen to the nostagians clinin' to their lore and canon, they would be the first to complain even if they would get the Mackie for free, because it would be horribly outdated anyways and no one would play it.

Edited by Genesis23, 11 December 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#111 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 03:15 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 10 December 2017 - 03:58 AM, said:

Im confused, I thought the Roughneck had terrible sales figures because it was a pgi design and the majority of the playerbase that buy mechpacks are reminiscing on their favourite mechs from the past, why would they make another new mech if new mechs dont sell half as well as old classics ?

It also wasn't helped by the fact that it's actually not that strong of a 'Mech. Civil War tech wasn't even a thing yet and, without that, it was basically bottom-tier except for the RGH-3A and the Reaver which were only passable because of the torso energy.

While CW tech breathed a lot of life into it with LFEs and MRMs, in today's world of 78+ alpha strikes and nerfed Medium Lasers and SRMs, the RGH really has nothing noteworthy to make it stand out except copious amounts of armor to pad the damage numbers of attacking 'Mechs.

So while I'm sure nostalgia is one major driver of sales, I'm also fairly certain that a 'Mech being decent is another major one. The RGH didn't tap either of those things.

The Sun-Spider at least looks like it will be a solid Heavy.

#112 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:05 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 11 December 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

It also wasn't helped by the fact that it's actually not that strong of a 'Mech. Civil War tech wasn't even a thing yet and, without that, it was basically bottom-tier except for the RGH-3A and the Reaver which were only passable because of the torso energy.

While CW tech breathed a lot of life into it with LFEs and MRMs, in today's world of 78+ alpha strikes and nerfed Medium Lasers and SRMs, the RGH really has nothing noteworthy to make it stand out except copious amounts of armor to pad the damage numbers of attacking 'Mechs.

So while I'm sure nostalgia is one major driver of sales, I'm also fairly certain that a 'Mech being decent is another major one. The RGH didn't tap either of those things.

The Sun-Spider at least looks like it will be a solid Heavy.

Those hight torso mounts are nothing to sneeze at. I have seen lots of roughnecks in FP, filling niche roles (as most good mechs do).

#113 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:03 AM

When do the maneuverability & torso twist ratings get released? I have stopped buying mechs that are below a certain maneuvering speed. Sluggish mechs are not fun to drive.

#114 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 11 December 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

[...]
Sluggish mechs are not fun to drive.

I agree, though I don't base my purchasing around it.

#115 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

View PostJonathan8883, on 11 December 2017 - 08:03 AM, said:

When do the maneuverability & torso twist ratings get released? [...]

During the countdown a week or so ahead of release.

#116 ExAstra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:26 AM

It's pretty decent. Not bad for an original design, I went ahead and bought the basic package to show some support. Keep up the good work!

#117 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:31 AM

View PostThe Zohan, on 10 December 2017 - 01:34 PM, said:

Stop making idiotic comparisons. These two topics are not comparable.

I'm debating whether or not I should have a serious reaction to this or mock you over it, because I was making the comparison as a joke.

Of course, only an idiot would think I was saying that with a straight face. So... I guess you could say, I do mess with the Zohan. Am I doing that right?

Edited by Catten Hart, 11 December 2017 - 11:34 AM.

#118 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:43 AM

View PostCatten Hart, on 11 December 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

I guess you could say, I do mess with the Zohan. Am I doing that right?

Posted Image

#119 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostGasoline, on 11 December 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

View PostGasoline, on 11 December 2017 - 09:59 AM, said:

No pre-order for me then.

#120 Righter8

• PipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 12:03 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 11 December 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Posted Image

Corrected:
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic