Sun Spider Pre-Order Is Here!

150 replies to this topic

#81 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 03:58 AM

Im confused, I thought the Roughneck had terrible sales figures because it was a pgi design and the majority of the playerbase that buy mechpacks are reminiscing on their favourite mechs from the past, why would they make another new mech if new mechs dont sell half as well as old classics ?

#82 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 761 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:03 AM

View PostCadoazreal, on 10 December 2017 - 03:58 AM, said:

Im confused, I thought the Roughneck had terrible sales figures because it was a pgi design and the majority of the playerbase that buy mechpacks are reminiscing on their favourite mechs from the past, why would they make another new mech if new mechs dont sell half as well as old classics ?

evidence pls...
Is this based on the 'facts' known by the forumwarriors or actual numbers?

Edited by Cyrilis, 10 December 2017 - 04:04 AM.

#83 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:23 AM

I see more roughnecks than several other heavy IS designs... Cataphracts come to mind. Maybe Dragons...

#84 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:44 AM

Woot! I won a Sun Spider pack in the MechCon Twitch stream!

Thank you PGI and Ibradul_Mike!

I think i'll buy the Reinforcement upgrade so I also get the ECM variant.

#85 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 05:17 AM

I like it, but where are the rest of its arms?

#86 James Argent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:42 AM

Before I begin...yes, nostalgia is a thing. But as I said, my personal initial reaction to the Roughneck was 'Oh God, they're doing a stupid Dark Age mech. (Heck with*) that' and I didn't buy the mechpack. I've since purchased the hero for MCs because it actually turned out to be pretty good. There is no such stigma associated with the Sun Spider. But NEVER underestimate the disgust people have with that Wiz Kids abomination.

*Insert epithet of choice.

#87 Krakka Dakka Kobold

Rookie

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:08 AM

Looks like daddy locust got fed up with people treating his children like cookies.

#88 Gannycus

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

Wow! It's the biggest locust I ever seen!

#89 Scanz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 783 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 08:55 AM

im like it!

#90 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:09 AM

This will be the first pack I've purchased since the unseen were released. I like that PGI has added to the mech pool instead of simply fishing through it for something that isn't terrible. After having the IP for as long as they have, even I feel they have earned the right to add their mark to the lore and add a few things. Will they make mistakes as they do this? Yes, but after looking at some of the horrible mechs contributed by others prior to PGIs involvement, they certainly can't do any worse than anyone that has added in the past.

#91 Vysir

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

I saw some comparisons to the Locust for this new chassis. To me though, it seems as if the clans had taken the Flea and pumped it full of growth hormones. Is the Canada Mech Inspection Agency aware of the amount of GMO used in the creation of this big stompy robot? We know it has legs, but for some reason can't seem to use them. (Que ZZ Top music parody)

#92 BlackDeathLegion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 141 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'm very certain ALEX used this mech as a base design for the Sun Spider!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mangonel

#93 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostBogus, on 09 December 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

Uziel was both the starting mech and featured in the box art of MW4: Vengeance, thus qualifying as iconic mechs.

sorry, Uziel was the box Mech but for MW4 Vengance but not the Starter Mech (I think the MW4:V starter was a Couger but I could be misremembering, however it was definately a Light), you salvage the Uziel farily early in MW4:V the campaign and get a voiceover by the unit mechanic something to the effect of "on the last mission we salvaged an old favorate chassis of mine, the Uziel, it needs some wiring work but it will be ready for your next mission"
probably not the exact wording but that is the general gist of it.

#94 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

MW4:Vengeance started you in a Shadow Cat. ( That the main character had salvaged during the clan wars )

Edited by ChapeL, 10 December 2017 - 10:33 AM.

#95 The Zohan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 408 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:17 AM

View PostAppogee, on 10 December 2017 - 01:33 AM, said:

I'm glad Alex was again given the opportunity to contribute to canon. He deserves it for his great work on MWO.

No, he does not. He deserves to get paid a shitload of money cause he and his artwork skills are what keeps MWO alive. Nothing more, nothing less.

View PostEd Steele, on 09 December 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Inventing Mechs is OK, there have been rules for making custom mechs in TT for years, so I do not see any issue with PGI making Mechs. Actually HBS and Catalyst usually end up making the PGI Mechs canon anyway, so there is no issue. Again, like I have said in previous posts, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Thats not the point. They crossed the line already with that modified industrial mech. But that story at least is believable. An unknown clan omni, not so much. Whats next, made up weapons to go with the made up mech? They set a bad precedent with said Roughneck and should have kept it that way.

The BT franchise is NOT PGIs to do whatever they please. Its a 30some years old universe with a rich background and history. This is why people love it so much. There are plenty of mechs to pick from without making one up. A friggin clan omni to boot.
If they want to do new stuff, fine. Just rename the game and do whatever the hell you please. But dont advertise it as "a Battletech game", cause it is not. They wonder why the hell ppl quit playing the game and spending money: stuff like this abomination here is one of the reasons.

And not only that: I know I wont touch MW5 or anything they release in the future until it is out for a good amount of time and tested in and out by ppl or magazines i trust. And I know I am not the only one. This is how PGI alienated a good chunk of their (former) paying customers with their head scratching/downright stupid actions.

#96 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:37 AM

View PostThe Zohan, on 10 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

No, he does not. He deserves to get paid a shitload of money cause he and his artwork skills are what keeps MWO alive. Nothing more, nothing less.

That too. Stop being a pedant.

#97 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

Another mech with ecm if iam not mistaken? ecm used to be a rare thing and that was good, if everyone in a team has ecm then, might as well never use locking missiles.
Just like the radar jam, wtf was you idea with that mode, lrms useless for 2 whole minutes...

Edited by ShinRazor, 10 December 2017 - 12:26 PM.

#98 LORD ORION

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:30 PM

PGI WTF... this is a 70 ton, made up high mounted mech, that does everything?

It's a super Hellbringer / Ebon Jag / Mad Dog

#99 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostThe Zohan, on 10 December 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

The BT franchise is NOT PGIs to do whatever they please. Its a 30some years old universe with a rich background and history. This is why people love it so much. There are plenty of mechs to pick from without making one up. A friggin clan omni to boot.
If they want to do new stuff, fine. Just rename the game and do whatever the hell you please. But dont advertise it as "a Battletech game", cause it is not. They wonder why the hell ppl quit playing the game and spending money: stuff like this abomination here is one of the reasons.

If its one of the reasons its an extremely minor reason. Just about every single MW title for PC took major liberties with that 30-some years of lore. Some changes are more objectionable to certain groups than others.

Making up mechs themselves is nothing new. Heck even the venerable MW4 had some interesting takes on tech and at least one made up mech (my fave the Warthog).

So you can not like it, but don't act like PGI has deviated from a script because they all have in some way.

#100 Thomas G Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorth Germany

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

Another non cannon Mech, err no thanks I will pass on this Thing as well, not buying stuff that does not exist in the BT world.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users