Uziel And "mobile Harassment Niche" Madness.

49 replies to this topic

#21 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:18 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 December 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

O.P's post stuff about Uziel

Basically put P.G.I are trying to justify giving it bad quirks, and won't admit they're wrong.

Anything the the over sized Uziel can do a smaller better quirked medium can better..

Unless it's given better quirks they only thing it can really do is poptart and long range snipe, and still other mediums will do it better

#22 Humpday

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 13 December 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

The only Uziel build I like playing is the 4 ERML Gauss build.

Same here.

#23 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostCathy, on 13 December 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Unless it's given better quirks they only thing it can really do is poptart and long range snipe, and still other mediums will do it better

I like my Uziel and it does neither of these things.

#24 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostHumpday, on 13 December 2017 - 12:24 PM, said:

Same here.

Next balance pass:

"The 4 ERML Gauss build was overperforming on the Uziel relative to the other garbage builds available to the mech, therefore all weapon quirks have been removed from the UZL-3S and replaced with a 5% missile cooldown quirk".

#25 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Chu-i
  • Chu-i
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:21 PM

View PostThe Lighthouse, on 13 December 2017 - 05:07 AM, said:

It took me a while. Because with ever decreasing interest in game, I actually did not read the patch note carefully.

But now I did read, and this particular sentence is.... to put it plainly, complete nonsense.

Well, to be honest, more of insanity.

Uziel's design just does not allow to fulfill such role correctly, and we have to wonder if such 'niche' should be fulfilled in the first place.

1. So what is mobile harassment niche? WTF is this in the first place?

One problem is there is really no solid definition for 'mobile harassment niche'? I can conjure that PGI probably meant 'durr hurr long-range poking', the fact that Uziel got weird and useless 10% range quirks.

Well, first time that came to my mind when I saw 'mobile harassment niche' was... light mechs. They are actually mobile, excellent harassment mechs. Light mechs are....

1) Far more mobile.
2) Far smaller than Uziel.
3) with most of them actually have defensive quirks and offensive quirks.

And they are good at that. And of course, on top of all three, light mechs also can cover "long-range poking" really well. Even classic Raven with ERLL is still workable thanks to high-mount hardpoints and a properly placed cockpit view.

'mobile harassment niche' is not even really niche when there are entire mech weight class almost dedicated to this role.

And then we add mechs like Cicada and other mechs like Hunche and Shadow Hawk, one must realize Uziel actually has TONS of competition here. No matter how much PGI can increase its mobility, Uziel is still a medium mech and cannot match those agile light mechs in the first place. Only advantages Uziel has are...

1) More weight for more weapons.
2) More durability due to increased armor... oh wait.

Do you see the problem here? there are SO MANY mechs that can do mobile harassment so well that this area is so crowded. Uziel with such weak quirks and horrid physical aspects just cannot compete against well-established favorites.

I haven't actually played the Uziel yet, but I was thinking of buying one. It has the potential to fill a niche in the 50-55 ton weight class. Maybe the next balance pass will allow it to reach that potential.

On the IS side you already have assassins, cicadas, and phoenix hawks which are mediums with essentially the mobility stats of lights. But other than the wolverine, there weren't any 50 or 55 tonners with enhanced mobility... and the wolverine has never worked very well, even for scouting.

The Uziel really should be the perfect light hunter, or even an Assassin and Cicada hunter. It has the exact same mobility stats (turn rate, acceleration rate, etc) as an Arctic Cheetah, but with more armor and more tonnage for weapons, plus it can run over 130 kph with speed tweak.

Clearly the Uziel isn't great right now because every single person I've talked to says they're terrible. But on paper I can see how it could be an interesting mech.

#26 Rayden Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 759 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

View PostBush Hopper, on 13 December 2017 - 12:06 PM, said:

I can't remember the last time I have seen a SCH with SRMs. They seem to carry lasers or ppc

Because that is where they shine. They are fast, jumpy and mobile, percect for weapons wich dont need facetime. Move fast(with MASC), jump out of cover, shoot the peps, disapear. Works great.
I carry three additional LMG's to score off some lights but that make the build a bit hotter.
SRMs can work but the lack of missle hardpoints dont help them brawling and they are to slow for a good striker(thats more an Arctic Wolf domain).

#27 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:17 PM

View PostDeepfryer, on 15 January 2018 - 12:21 PM, said:

I haven't actually played the Uziel yet, but I was thinking of buying one. It has the potential to fill a niche in the 50-55 ton weight class. Maybe the next balance pass will allow it to reach that potential.

On the IS side you already have assassins, cicadas, and phoenix hawks which are mediums with essentially the mobility stats of lights. But other than the wolverine, there weren't any 50 or 55 tonners with enhanced mobility... and the wolverine has never worked very well, even for scouting.

The Uziel really should be the perfect light hunter, or even an Assassin and Cicada hunter. It has the exact same mobility stats (turn rate, acceleration rate, etc) as an Arctic Cheetah, but with more armor and more tonnage for weapons, plus it can run over 130 kph with speed tweak.

Clearly the Uziel isn't great right now because every single person I've talked to says they're terrible. But on paper I can see how it could be an interesting mech.

The size of the side torsos negates the advantages of high mobility,

#28 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

I actually use triple UAC2s on the Uziel with jam reduction. Its surprisingly fun to harass at a distance with. But it needs that separation to stay alive. The second I come under return fire, it's gtfo. I almost ate it to a light that I had to dance around while my team did their darndest not to kill me while killing it.

High agility is nice. But good hit boxes with adequate agility is better.

#29 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:59 PM

There is a surprising number of people that get how the Uziel works in this thread, I'm actually kind of surprised.

The Uziel, 6P in particular (3LL+3ERML), is an incredibly powerful mech, easily one of the most influential mechs when it comes to consistently tipping the scales into a win as well as having surreal consistent and high KDR that really only the Dual ERPPC Summoner at it's hight could really beat.

At least, that's what my stats say.

And if I had to believe a salty bittervet that can't think outside of the tiny little paper bag he has over his head, or my own stats then... well... no offence mr saltlord bittervet, I'll stick with my stats. Hard to argue with numbers.

The other Uziels ain't bad either although I still haven't been able to personally make the ballistic one work for myself. There are better versions of these builds on other mechs but I'm a big fan of the Dual HPPC poptart as well as the MRM60 Uziel, especially now with the 10% range quirk. Almost hitting 700m range with those MRMs. The agility combined with the firepower is pretty hard to beat. Although not everyone will get it I'm happy to see there are people that do. Embrace the XL and don't get hit.

Looks pretty damn sexy in Mech Con camo too.

#30 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

My girl friend was watching me play last night. I was using a BJ-1 with a UAC-20, 2 medium lasers, and skilled out jump jets. I explained it to her in one sentence like this: "I'm trying to be as annoying as possible."

That's a mobile harasser. The enemy is behind cover, expecting to be shot from one direction, then your cheeky and sassy self poptarts out of nowhere and delivers all t3h AC/20 shells right into their face. Move behind a friendly fatty and add your firepower to it. Jump on top of something tall and aim your AC/20 (which is in your arm, right?) down onto an enemy assault's head. Hell, jump on top of that KGC and ride it like a donkey. (I call this one the potatoe rodeo!)

Sounds like OP just needs to find his enjoyment of the game again. Sometimes that's all it takes to turn trash to treasure.

Edited by Water Bear, 15 January 2018 - 02:09 PM.

#31 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:34 PM

Uziels are not for everybody. They're not really for me, though last Season I performed well enough in them (well, the UZL-6P at least).

If you perform well in a PPC or Large-class laser SHC, you'l probably do OK in a Uziel, so long as you take enough JJs and a large enough engine. If you're not going to capitalise on the mobility of the Uziel, stick to a Cicada, Blackjack, Phoenix Hawk, Crab, Enforcer or Hunchback instead.

Dual Class-2/5/10 ballistic poptart, dual PPC/ERPPC/HPPC poptart, large-class laser harasser. These are things the Uziel can do well. At a push, you can brawl with SRMs & Medium-class lasers (using the Belial & UZL-5P), though that may just be a Tier 2 phenomenon.

#32 aardappelianen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 195 posts
  • Locationamsterdam

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:17 PM

I would love to see some ppc or heat quirks on my belial but the only thing I would really like to see reworked is the way it dies lol, this mech has no grace when it dies
Most of the time it ends with its legs in its shoulders or flails wildly sorta like a breakdancer spinning on it head
Often times it remains standing while the torso slams the ground

#33 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:58 PM

I'm just waiting for someone to clearly explain the Uziel's positive attributes. "You just don't get it" is a vapid position.

#34 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:59 PM

View Postaardappelianen, on 15 January 2018 - 05:17 PM, said:

I would love to see some ppc or heat quirks on my belial but the only thing I would really like to see reworked is the way it dies lol, this mech has no grace when it dies
Most of the time it ends with its legs in its shoulders or flails wildly sorta like a breakdancer spinning on it head
Often times it remains standing while the torso slams the ground

I wish to one day have your level of zen.

#35 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:32 PM

View PostMcGoat, on 13 December 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

Play the Uziel like a Summoner - problem solved. A good player doesn't only hill hump vertically anyways, so cockpit location is only part of the equation.

Because SO many uziels can mount cERPPCs with 24 DHS, and that's why they were picked in the tournaments Posted Image

#36 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:09 AM

View PostLT. HARDCASE, on 15 January 2018 - 05:58 PM, said:

I'm just waiting for someone to clearly explain the Uziel's positive attributes. "You just don't get it" is a vapid position.

High engine cap, Agile, High mounted weapons, JJs, 50t, 10% generic range quirk, *high engine cap. Synergises well with Radar Deprivation btw.

Sure, there are dozens of mechs that have some of the same attributes. Plenty of mechs that are agile, plenty of mechs that are 50t, plenty of mechs with JJs and plenty of mechs with high mounted hardpoints or a 10% range quirk.

That's not the point.

The point is the fact that all of those things are present in one mech. There is no 50t mech that is as agile as the uziel. There is no 50t mechs that is that agile with JJs. There is no JJ equipped, 50t mech that is that agile that has hardpoints that high. No 50t mech with JJs that is that agile/has that high engine cap that has hardpoints that high has 10% range quirk that isn't the Uziel.

The funny thing about proverbs is that they tend to be based on certain truths. Like for example the proverb about the whole being more than the sum of it's parts.

People like to break it down and focus on each individual characteristic and say that 'oh but there is dozens of other mechs that have hardpoints as high' or 'there are plenty of light mechs that have high hard points and is as agile' or there are plenty of 50t mechs with JJs. But there is no other mech that has all the positive characteristics that the Uziel has on one mech, that's the whole point.

A similar thing happened with the Dual ERPPC Summoner. The tonnage, the speed, the quirks, the hardpoints, the crit slots, the tech, the JJs. Each part was important in making the mech more than just it's component characteristics. And it was legitimately OP. As soon as they removed the ability to have all of those parts on one mech (they move the quirks around) the mech suddenly wasn't even remotely as powerful as it was. If they for example reduced the agility on the Uziel, it would see a huge dip in power level and might actually be garbage.

This all of course depends on the player's ability and willingness to accept and make use of the positive characteristics that exist, all of them and let me tell you, spite is a nasty thing that keeps millions of people every day around the world from doing the things they should be able to do. There is also an element of maybe the required skill floor being a tad higher since you need to make use of all the characteristics, and not just rely on one or two like many other mechs. I'll concede that the mech isn't for everyone skill wise. But skill level can be improved, it's not the same thing as talent.

So people can put their fingers in their ears and go 'la la la la' as much as they want, the funny thing is that it doesn't affect reality in the least.

Edited by ForceUser, 16 January 2018 - 01:11 AM.

#37 Greyboots

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 396 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:46 AM

View PostForceUser, on 16 January 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

That's not the point.

The point is the fact that all of those things are present in one mech. There is no 50t mech that is as agile as the uziel. There is no 50t mechs that is that agile with JJs. There is no JJ equipped, 50t mech that is that agile that has hardpoints that high. No 50t mech with JJs that is that agile/has that high engine cap that has hardpoints that high has 10% range quirk that isn't the Uziel.

None of that is the point.

The point is that it is an overall lacklustre mech. The high hardpoints are nullified by the low cockpit and it's a little ball that's a perfect shape to absorb SRM fire. The large engine is nullified by the lack of weaponry it leaves tonnage for. It's essentially just a jumpy cicada that's an extra 10 tons heavier, without much extra to show for it if you want to make use of even half of those advantages.

Edited by Greyboots, 16 January 2018 - 01:53 AM.

#38 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:07 AM

View PostAsym, on 13 December 2017 - 09:01 AM, said:

OK, as a non-Lore player, is PGI using a BT or lore based definition? Anyone know? Because if they are, then, that might explain some of their apparently insane nerfs.....

Anyone know for sure?

You are in fact right.
You have to remember that mechs in Battletech are much more hindered and slowed by turning and maneuvering and hindered by terrain.
You can not just run straight up a hill 1 and 1/2 the size of your mech (hight level 4 over 3 hexfields) with 96kph (BP running mech 9 = 97.2kph) but you can jump right over it with full walking speed (BPW 6=64.8kph)
A mech without JJ would be forced to get realy slow up that hill and therefore be an easy target bit the Uziel could just jump over it at decent speed.
For a medium mech with that weapons loadout the Uziel would be considdered insanely mobile and very dangerous because he can hit and fade for a long time over medium ranges while beeing still decently armored and has some nasty frontload weapons...while an enemy is tempted to concentrate on bigger mechs they seldomly can just ignore that kind of firepower that just needs one good opening for a crittical hit while beeing mobile enough to use and maintain optimal cover and distance.
Remember each weapon is handled as single system in TT as it would be in reality so there is no pinpoint bull like in MWO...so a singel weapon that deals 10 dmg like a PPC is realy realy dangerous especially since armor values are only half of MWO and there are no quirks.

The best success in MWO has my all energy Uziel with 6MPLs moving and firing out of the shadow of bigger mechs or reaguarding them against lights. Locus and ACHs tend to hate 6MPLs to the leggs.

#39 The Lighthouse

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

View PostForceUser, on 16 January 2018 - 01:09 AM, said:

High engine cap, Agile, High mounted weapons, JJs, 50t, 10% generic range quirk, *high engine cap. Synergises well with Radar Deprivation btw.

Sure, there are dozens of mechs that have some of the same attributes. Plenty of mechs that are agile, plenty of mechs that are 50t, plenty of mechs with JJs and plenty of mechs with high mounted hardpoints or a 10% range quirk.

That's not the point.

The funny thing about proverbs is that they tend to be based on certain truths. Like for example the proverb about the whole being more than the sum of it's parts.

People like to break it down and focus on each individual characteristic and say that 'oh but there is dozens of other mechs that have hardpoints as high' or 'there are plenty of light mechs that have high hard points and is as agile' or there are plenty of 50t mechs with JJs. But there is no other mech that has all the positive characteristics that the Uziel has on one mech, that's the whole point.

A similar thing happened with the Dual ERPPC Summoner. The tonnage, the speed, the quirks, the hardpoints, the crit slots, the tech, the JJs. Each part was important in making the mech more than just it's component characteristics. And it was legitimately OP. As soon as they removed the ability to have all of those parts on one mech (they move the quirks around) the mech suddenly wasn't even remotely as powerful as it was. If they for example reduced the agility on the Uziel, it would see a huge dip in power level and might actually be garbage.

This all of course depends on the player's ability and willingness to accept and make use of the positive characteristics that exist, all of them and let me tell you, spite is a nasty thing that keeps millions of people every day around the world from doing the things they should be able to do. There is also an element of maybe the required skill floor being a tad higher since you need to make use of all the characteristics, and not just rely on one or two like many other mechs. I'll concede that the mech isn't for everyone skill wise. But skill level can be improved, it's not the same thing as talent.

So people can put their fingers in their ears and go 'la la la la' as much as they want, the funny thing is that it doesn't affect reality in the least.

This thread has been necro'd, but I cannot help myself commenting on this reply..... like, wtf is this?

Sigh.

High engine cap means literally nothing, when most of IS weaponary is really, really heavy in the first place. The biggest engine that my Uziels have is 270, with rest of them 250 or 255. If you actually bought Uziel, and tried to use that mech, you should had realized that there is no way this mech can actually carry firepower without downsizing engine to typical 250 engine size.

What you also do not realize is that a lot of characteristics of Uziel are far more better suited for brawling, not long-ranged mech. For long-range mech, it will need...

1) Very high hardpoints.
2) Also very high cockpit that synthesize with said hardpoints.
3) Also tight hardpoints to avoid convergence issue.

Uziel's hardpoints are actually not that high at all. If you compare Uziel to actual long-range mechs like Shadow Hawk or Hunchback, you will realize Uziel's hardpoints are just barely better than Shadow Hawk's arms' hardpoints. It is because torso itself is high enough.

And then we have the biggest problem of Uziel: cockpit position. It is located at the center of the mech, making the mech suffering Stormcrow syndrome which makes the mech really bad for hill-hopping AND corner peaking thanks to extremely wide mech structure.

Finally, thanks to being a barn door, Uziel has massive problem with convergence.

Uziel half-fulfill the first requirement, and miserably fails two other requirements for proper long-range mech even before we can talk about IS vs Clan tech imbalance and terrible hitboxes that XL is just suicide.

Ironically, I found Uziel does brawl better than long-range due to its agility alone. One can squeeze Uziel with dual LBX10 with 245 light or suicidal XL, which is not possible for SHD. My best performing Uziel is brawling one, and I found all of these long-range setup complete waste of time and cbills.

Too bad brawling Uziel, compared to other mechs, is utter garbage thanks to its terrible shape. Better than long-range, but still garbage compared to average brawling medium mechs.

#40 ForceUser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 894 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:19 AM

If you actually bought Uziel, and tried to use that mech, you should had realized that there is no way this mech can actually carry firepower without downsizing engine to typical 250 engine size.

I have almost 200 matches in my Uziels and the smallest engine size I'm using is a 280. I'm even running a 315 LFE in one. And all of them have plenty of firepower.

Posted Image

This is almost double, double, my average stats. Not my lifetime average stats but my most recent season's stats (no it's not group play either).

Reality doesn't care about opinions. Yes that hurts but you'll have to live with it.

Like I said in my post, and as you and others repeatedly make the mistake. You're focusing on the mech's characteristics individually, instead of looking at the whole picture. You're looking through a pin hole instead of taking the box off your head and seeing the mech in it's entirety. Those that are able to do that have found a good mech in the Uziel. For some it's a great mech. This also explains the absolutely terrible builds and play styles people that are having trouble with it are advocating. You literally identify where the mech's shortcoming are and play/build it in a way amplifies those shortcomings 10 times while utilizing none of it's advantages. This is the very definition of spite, agian like I said.

It's worth noting that if for some bizarre reason you guys manage to whine load enough to get it buffed that I will be happy as a clam. It's already one of the best performing mechs out of 240 mechs I own. Buffing it means I will just do that much better in it. Problem of course is if it reaches a tipping point where enough people realize how to play it well and pump up it's stats, it'll be nerfed again, perhaps even below what it is now. Plenty of examples of that. Maybe I shouldn't help people with the Uziel Posted Image

Builds for the Uziel:
UZL-3P
UZL-5P (even better on the Hero since it gets 10% missile cooldown as well)
UZL-6P build 1
UZL-6P build 2
UZL-3S (basically a faster, more agile, better armoured CDA-3M without ECM but with a JJ and 2 extra DHS)

Edited by ForceUser, 16 January 2018 - 03:25 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users