Russ Just Tweeted About Hellspawn's Missile Pods.

35 replies to this topic

#21 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:13 PM

Actually, he tweeted about the "Hellbringer's pods", heh!

#22 Gorgo7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,216 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 13 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

Keep pods...easier to hit that way!

#23 TheMadTypist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 533 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:33 PM

Punishing players for using the hardpoints on their mech is bad design.

Balancing around removed geometry punishes players who use those hardpoints.

The quirks and geometry should stay. In fact, all designs should be retrofitted with the same behavior. It should never be required to avoid certain hardpoints to get the 'intended' gameplay out of a chassis.

#24 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:43 PM

The pods dont bother me at all. Kinda like a diversion from someone wanting to hit the ct instead but sees those metal target.
Also, it gives it a unique looks, the Helsspawn gotta be one of the most asymmetrical mechs I've seen. Not only the cockpit location like the Summoner and Thunderbolt, but the shape of sidetorsos aswell.

I do get why people want the pods gone if no missiles in them. It would be the same for the Hellspawn as with say, the pods on the Thunderbolt and Banshee Malinche disappear when you are not using missiles.
Though. Counter argument. Should the Catapult lose its ears becasue it dosent have missiles in use? That would look quite odd...

#25 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostTordin, on 13 December 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

The pods dont bother me at all. Kinda like a diversion from someone wanting to hit the ct instead but sees those metal target.
Also, it gives it a unique looks, the Helsspawn gotta be one of the most asymmetrical mechs I've seen. Not only the cockpit location like the Summoner and Thunderbolt, but the shape of sidetorsos aswell.

I do get why people want the pods gone if no missiles in them. It would be the same for the Hellspawn as with say, the pods on the Thunderbolt and Banshee Malinche disappear when you are not using missiles.
Though. Counter argument. Should the Catapult lose its ears becasue it dosent have missiles in use? That would look quite odd...

Because if no weapon no visual. Just like the HBK-4J is more "swayback" when no missles are mounted as it should be. (The HBK-GI ought to remove hunch if no ballistic also but they overlooked this). Just like the Timberwolf is more stream lined with no missiles mounted. Just like the SuperNova...notice a pattern?

#26 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 13 December 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Why vote for quirks, that can be easily taken away? Vote for the removal of the pod.

How many times can I quote this... PGI changes quirks as often as most normal parents changes their babies diapers....at least the mothers anyhow...

#27 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:25 PM

I tweeted that it should receive the same treatment as the Phoenix Hawk.

The PHX line, also 45 tons, has between 14 and 21 bonus armor per arm, on the merit of said arms containing the vast majority of the weapons. They are both in the same boat in that regard, so why does the Hellspawn's extra geometry even factor into the matter?

#28 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:38 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 13 December 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

How many times can I quote this... PGI changes quirks as often as most normal parents changes their babies diapers....at least the mothers anyhow...

That is one funky analogy

#29 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

They should have done http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hellfire rather than that is mech..

#30 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:08 PM

I intend to run my Hellspawn with missiles anyway so keep the quirks from me. This is stupid though. One way or another, you are punishing Hellspawn pilots. Removal of the quirks punishes those of us who want to use missiles on our Hellspawns since we will get the geometry with no quirks to compensate. Keeping the quirks and geometry punishes those who do not want to use missiles on their Hellspawn, as even if they remove their missiles they are forced to keep bad geometry. From all that I've been hearing the Hellspawn is hardly amazing anyway. I don't see why they don't change the geometry and keep the quirks. I seriously doubt the thing will become OP just because you can remove the missile pods now.

#31 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 05:12 PM

Also the quirks on the variant I tried so far is not a big deal. A big deal is the "we know we're going to change its mobility because of an error, but no clue whether buff or nerf."

#32 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:58 PM

Gotta prevent dat impending Hellspawn meta guise.

#33 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:16 PM

Punishing players for using the hardpoints on their mech is bad design.

Balancing around removed geometry punishes players who use those hardpoints.

The quirks and geometry should stay. In fact, all designs should be retrofitted with the same behavior. It should never be required to avoid certain hardpoints to get the 'intended' gameplay out of a chassis.

agreed

shouldnt punish people for using missiles on hellspawn

should reward people for it

thats why I like the idea of signature hardpoints. signature hardpoints would be hardpoints that give you quirks when you put specific weapons in them.

its the carrot approach rather than the stick approach

Edited by Khobai, 13 December 2017 - 08:18 PM.

#34 Leggin Ho

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 495 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBristol, Va

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

View PostN0ni, on 13 December 2017 - 11:36 AM, said:

Out of the 50+ campaign runs in MW4 Vengeance, Black Knight and Mercenaries even then i have never used the Hellspawn because you couldn't fit any worthwhile energy weapons and all you had at that point were LRMs. I'd just put pulse lasers and SRMs in it, call it good and give it to a lancemate.

The only time it ever saw use was in multiplayer CTF, put in a few small streaks/MLs/high explosives and beef up the engine as much as i could while still keeping ECM/JJ. Even then the Raven did that job much better without jets.

Oh it was just fine in the NH/UA ladder or even when playing regular team drops, you just had to use it like the harasser it was, not a pure energy boat or face time mech. Still have a funny video of one of the last NH/UA drops played in MWL where I got cussed while running one....

#35 AzureRathalos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 185 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Don't know how hard it would be to program, but how about this:
If you equip a missile weapon that's 2 tons or more (which denies Rocket Launchers) into the right arm, the missile pod will appear and a quirk will activate and add armor to the right arm to balance out for the increased hitbox.

If there is no missile weapon in the arm, the missile pod is removed, the hitbox is smaller, and the right arm armor quirk turns off.

It's been asked and answered later in the tweet conversation. That kind of functionality currently does not exist in MWO, so right now the choice has to be between "Hard mount missile pod with armor quirk" or "Removable missile pod without armor quirk".

Edited by AzureRathalos, 13 December 2017 - 08:55 PM.

#36 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 14 December 2017 - 10:25 AM

Porque no las dos?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users