Mwo Holiday Events

360 replies to this topic

#21 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:10 PM

I guess I had better hope that I'm over this bloody cold in a few days... Otherwise this could be the Event that kills me IRL. :(

People should not have to push themselves quite this hard in order to get the stuff. Given the argument in this thread that I've already seen, dropping the Match Scores asked for by 25 on both modes would be a good idea. In other words, ask for 125 MS per Quick Play, and 225 MS per Faction Warfare. Right now, things look more like work than something that someone could enjoy, and someone else is apparently already more angry than I am. :unsure:

~D. V. "Totally NOT wanting people to get the wrong idea about Events..." Devnull

(p.s.: "MS" refers to "Match Score" in my post, NOT "MercStar"...)

#22 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:11 PM

View PostGroutknoll, on 15 December 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

So, you're saying MS members are bad and need help to get the 250 FP match score? Posted Image

Wut?!? Posted Image Posted Image

Nice try, but I'd rather not get a unit of hundreds headhunting me...

#23 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:21 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 15 December 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

I guess I had better hope that I'm over this bloody cold in a few days... Otherwise this could be the Event that kills me IRL. Posted Image

People should not have to push themselves quite this hard in order to get the stuff. Given the argument in this thread that I've already seen, dropping the Match Scores asked for by 25 on both modes would be a good idea. In other words, ask for 125 MS per Quick Play, and 225 MS per Faction Warfare. Right now, things look more like work than something that someone could enjoy, and someone else is apparently already more angry than I am. Posted Image

~D. V. "Totally NOT wanting people to get the wrong idea about Events..." Devnull

(p.s.: "MS" refers to "Match Score" in my post, NOT "MercStar"...)

I don't understand why there is an expectation that every single reward must be attainable by the casual player?

This is akin to having participation trophies but no gold medal...

What is wrong with having achievements that are hard, if not *all* of them are hard?

FFS you just show up on the 27th and you get stuff...

Edited by MovinTarget, 15 December 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#24 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:24 PM

So, to get the mech, we need 100 loot bags, with 50 winning matches. But we get 25 lootbags 'free' on the 27th, which cuts it down to 38 games.

I averaged one 250MSR match per 4 matches last time, so... 152 scouting matches.

Oh boy.

#25 Rodrigo Martinez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 15 December 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

I don't understand why there is an expectation that every single reward must be attainable by the casual player?

Maybe because FP needs some fresh blood? Free mech can be counted as a gold medal, but not the half of event. As for me, people should be rewarded just for a try of FP in it's current state. In any way, I would like to see a twitch show with people, who try to get 250 MS as pugs. And these must be new players to that mode.

#26 Eiswolf

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationRedfield

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:36 PM

200 MS is enougth for FP...
So you can it recive withe Scouting but it is not so easy and you can easier recive in Invasion.

At last.
Thx PGI for all the gifts. :)

#27 Teslacoil

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 90 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:38 PM

Halfway through december and still no mech sale. I got c-bills burning holes in my pockets!

#28 ApexSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX USA

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:41 PM

I can't get mad about getting free stuff, but 250 match score wasn't easy for a player of my level to achieve at all. Thanks for all the other goodies but I will add the free Hellbringer (the one of 6 that I would want) to the free Atlas and Night Gyr that I couldn't get. inb4 "then get gud, scrub!"

#29 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:45 PM

View PostEiswolf, on 15 December 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

200?

They used to have over 500 in MS ;)

View PostEiswolf, on 15 December 2017 - 12:36 PM, said:

So you can it recive withe Scouting but it is not so easy and you can easier recive in Invasion.

At last.
Thx PGI for all the gifts. Posted Image

But if you make it easier in scouting you need to make it so you don't get double or else its unfair to QP

#30 Eiswolf

• Fury
  • Fury
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationRedfield

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:48 PM

150 MS is easy enougth in QP so i think it isnt unfair when in FP is the MS 200.

When New Players cant recive the 250 MS in FP they will not make any Invasion Matches so no new blood comes to FP... its my opinion.

Edited by Eiswolf, 15 December 2017 - 12:49 PM.

#31 PanzerTC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 104 posts
  • LocationA Tank

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:49 PM

Thank you PGI. I like the changes to the event trackers as well.

#32 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:52 PM

Sooo... 2 weeks... besides 100 QP matches.... 38 FP matches with 250?... least 95% Siege.. (and wenn we lose people crying "Never bring LRMs in FP..." - strangely nobody cries wenn we win...).. That is way too much for me....

OK.. that means, no Extra Mech for me... Hmm.... I hope, I least have some luck and loot some more "Lump of Coal"s..

Anyway... Thanks Matt! Happy Holidays!

Edited by Sky Hawk, 15 December 2017 - 12:53 PM.

#33 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

I just checked the event in-game for 27th, it says at the top is 1250MC, but at the bottom it says "MC Reward 2500MC". Surely its a bug?

#34 Rodrigo Martinez

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 167 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

The MS in FP is not equal to QP. There is an easy way to get much MS in FP - don't die. Even if you lose a match but you keep all your mechs alive you may get much more score than a man who fought whole match in a first line in a winner team. But in general I would say, that 250 MS FP is something 400+ in QP. And don't forget about pug vs premade in FP, longer matches and meta builds wich are mandatory for a good results in FP.

Edited by Rodrigo Martinez, 15 December 2017 - 01:00 PM.

#35 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 15 December 2017 - 12:21 PM, said:

What is wrong with having achievements that are hard, if not *all* of them are hard?

Congratulations, MovinTarget, for you have successfully misread me. This is actually kind of funny that you have made that error. LOL! :lol:

Was I asking for things to be really easy? NOPE... Things can be attainable, and a challenge, but WITHOUT actively shutting out the large chunk of the player base that's needed in order to add fresh blood to Faction Warfare, as well as keep the queues loaded over in Quick Play. That's why I only suggested a decrease of 25 MS (again, "Match Score", NOT "MercStar") for qualifying on each of the game modes. Again, have a challenge, BUT KEEP IT ATTRACTIVE, so that people don't give up before they begin. Or are you trying to make MWO's servers dead during the Event, just like when there isn't an Event running, which would kill MWO? <_<

View PostZh0u, on 15 December 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

I just checked the event in-game for 27th, it says at the top is 1250MC, but at the bottom it says "MC Reward 2500MC". Surely its a bug?

SSSHHHHHHHH!!! Are you nuts?!?!? Don't make them fix that! Are you trying to throw away the ability to earn more (MC) for yourself? :angry:

~Mr. D. V. "Trying to keep MWO alive during the holidays here... What is going on in your heads?" Devnull

[Minor Edit by Post Author for missed clarity of thought...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 15 December 2017 - 12:59 PM.

#36 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 453 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 12:58 PM

So we're being forced to partake in...... faction play... in order to quality for all of the goodies? This is most unfortunate..

Maximum Loot Stockings achievable per Game Mode
  • 100 Quick Play Loot Stockings
  • 100 Faction Play Loot Stockings / 2 per game
  • A possible total of 50 Bonus Loot Bags!

Reach 200 Loot bags earned through any combination of Quick Play, Faction Play, and Bonus Stocking Stuffers and you get to pick one of the following Prizes!
  • Blackjack BJ-2 + 'Mech Bay
  • Cataphract CTF-3L + 'Mech Bay
  • Stalker STK-3FB + 'Mech Bay
  • Hellbringer HBR-F + 'Mech Bay
  • Summoner SMN-F + 'Mech Bay
  • Summoner SMN-M + 'Mech Bay

Edited by Todd Lightbringer, 15 December 2017 - 12:58 PM.

#37 suffocater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

Very nice!

Now about this CB-Mech-sale... Matt? You promised!

#38 Zh0u

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

Technically we only need 75 loot bags from FP, and 250 match points give us 2 bags. So we need to have 38 matches where we score 250 match score in FP.

Based on my limited experience and "torture" in the previous FP event, I might go crazy before I am able to achieve that. Its almost impossible to achieve for new players.

#39 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 15 December 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

Things can be attainable, and a challenge, but WITHOUT actively shutting out the large chunk of the player base that's needed in order to add fresh blood to Faction Warfare, as well as keep the queues loaded over in Quick Play.

I guess I have a different perspective and yes, perhaps it was a knee-jerk response to comments from the last event where people complained about the difficulty of the challenge.

Here is how I see it:

Easy challenge: Log in on the 27th and play one game
Medium Challenge: the QP lootbags
Hard Challenge: the FP lootbags
Stretch challenge: 200 lootbags for reward.

Maybe I am wrong but that is how it should be. The FP lootbags are a reward in and of themselves. If you cannot achieve them, then perhaps there are circumstances that should be reviewed.

My original point is that while you need to have challenges that are attractive to newer/mid-level players, it stands to reason that the more seasoned players should be challenged as well.

And since FP can't guarantee equal teams due to typically low population pools, about the only way to make it a challenge is to make it a grind....

I'm not even a great player, but I know how to get a 250 match score in all but the most sideways FP matches, even if I drop solo.

#40 Daggett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 December 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

I don't know how else a "grand prize" could be done for the loot bag event, but having to do 100+ matches is a little rough... I like to play this game for fun. I don't exactly want it to be trying to play the part of a second job.

I agree that so many matches are a lot especially for someone who only likes to play one of the two game modes. And i doubt that it's a good idea to push players into FP which are not really motivated to play those matches just to get some life into FP.

But this time the grand prize is no special variant with 30% bonus which can't be obtained otherwise as far as i have seen. Those seem to be just normal mechs worth between 3.8 and 14 million cbills (and much less when sold) + a mechbay worth 150mc. Or did Matt forgot to add the juicy (L) appendix to the listed mechs?

While this is a nice bonus if one plays that many matches it is not that much of an incentive to grind so hard especially through modes one does not like. Posted Image

So i know i will pass unless Matt indeed forgot to add the little detail that makes the Mechs interesting...

Edited by Daggett, 15 December 2017 - 01:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users