Fear Nothing! Fafnir Pre-Order Is Here!

423 replies to this topic

#101 Lorginir

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

I'm pleased to see Fafnir coming, but I kinda question the point. MWO mechlab makes stock hgauss loadout irrelevant, we already have several other platforms for that. Its all about the quirks obviously, but with huge durability bonuses Fafnir would obsolete Annihilator and without it is just Awesome's hitboxes but slower. We'll see i guess.

#102 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 07:52 PM

Well there goes my plans to not spend anything on the game this year.

#103 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:02 PM

View PostLorginir, on 05 January 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

I'm pleased to see Fafnir coming, but I kinda question the point. MWO mechlab makes stock hgauss loadout irrelevant, we already have several other platforms for that. Its all about the quirks obviously, but with huge durability bonuses Fafnir would obsolete Annihilator and without it is just Awesome's hitboxes but slower. We'll see i guess.

It really wouldn't. The ANH can bring more firepower than the FNR with your choice of Standard or Heavy Gauss. 73 alpha with standard Gauss on the ANH-1X vs 75 on the FNR-5B using HGauss. One of them can blast a target 400 meters away for full damage, the other has to be at 200 meters. ANH with HGauss can get to 80. Standard Gauss on the 5B only gets you to 63. I can get better than that on a Mauler.

#104 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:04 PM

Now that's an intresting looking mech.

#105 The Boneshaman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:28 PM

Well to be honest when comparing the 2 I never was a fan of the MW4 look of the Fafnir. Alex always dose a good job. I would have liked him to pull more inspiration from the original TT which he did with the arms. I really don't like the way the CT of the MW4 and this one looks. Also about the concept art. is that the FNR-6U wit 2 UAC20? or is this mech going to have a special ballistic look. making the HGR look like the concept art?

#106 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

For all those freak'n out about the 'timeline,' we have had Mad Cat MKIIs for awhile now and it was in the same TRO.

#107 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

Lol, I seriously cannot see myself ever driving this beast, but I might need one anyway

#108 Audacious Aubergine

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 09:41 PM

View PostIllCaesar, on 05 January 2018 - 07:52 PM, said:

Well there goes my plans to not spend anything on the game this year.

You lasted six days, so that's worth something I guess?

View PostLorginir, on 05 January 2018 - 07:45 PM, said:

Hmm, this is the only double heavy gauss mech that's 100 tonnes, meaning it might be able to fit a bigger engine than a Mauler or Sleipnir. Wait that doesn't work. It'll be able to pack more armour though, for whatever difference that will make. The longer I think about it the more my initial impulsive enthusiasm wanes (but I'm probably going to buy it anyway because I suck)

#109 Commander Kobold

• The Territorial
  • 1,428 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 05 January 2018 - 09:41 PM, said:

Hmm, this is the only double heavy gauss mech that's 100 tonnes, meaning it might be able to fit a bigger engine than a Mauler or Sleipnir. Wait that doesn't work. It'll be able to pack more armour though, for whatever difference that will make. The longer I think about it the more my initial impulsive enthusiasm wanes (but I'm probably going to buy it anyway because I suck)

...what about the Annihilator?

#110 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:38 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 January 2018 - 02:36 PM, said:

Maybe next month you will be happy :)

The Turkina would make me happy -- the Clans need another 95 tonner

The Fire Falcon would make me very happy! I want a faster Mist Lynx with better firepower.

#111 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:44 PM

View PostWill9761, on 05 January 2018 - 02:14 PM, said:

Yes! Finally, the Fafnir is out. I love how Alex went ahead with the Mechwarrior 4 version of the Fafnir and modernized it. I'm going to get this mech.

Who else remembers this mission?:
My favorite dialogue of the mission is this:
Spectre: It looks like they finished arming those Fafnirs, this is going to be one hell of a fight!
Castle: Watch yourself sir, recovered data indicates those heavy gauss rifles are murderous within 600 meters.
Spectre: Yes, I read that and each of those Fafnirs mounts a pair of those things.

That was my favorite mission in MW4M. Replayed it until I found a way to get every mech as salvage, and as much equipment as possible.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

First MWO IS mech I purchased with actual money. This was the ONE mech that was going to get me to pay. (love the combo of MW4M torso with TT arms, but the legs seem a tad skinny)

I buy for looks if the loadouts can do OK, I don't buy for loadouts if the mech looks ugly.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 05 January 2018 - 10:46 PM.

#112 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

Well, we just got the Argus for Civil War Era MW4 mechs to go before we start delving into Omnis. here's hoping the IS Omnis get some love soon. wouldn't be surprised if the next four-mech mechpack is them showing up. that and maybe the Clanners getting a "Totem Mech" Pack that has mechs like the Gyrfalcon and so on.

#113 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:17 PM

HG is just bad. It needs to get a rework/an ammo buff/a range buff. Without a proper rework this mech will be just another mediocre mech.
My wallet stays closed.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 05 January 2018 - 11:26 PM.

#114 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 11:49 PM

HGauss? Bad? Lolno.

#115 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:06 AM

As much as I loved this pack enough to get the Ultimate pack, the 5E variant is useless. It has a total damage potential of only 1100 without skills, and 1208 if you take both missile rack skills. (it REQUIRES a major rework for current-game viability) All other variants have at least 1 backup energy weapon. (and so it doesn't matter what their damage potential is)

View PostGweNTLeR, on 05 January 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

HG is just bad. It needs to get a rework/an ammo buff/a range buff. Without a proper rework this mech will be just another mediocre mech.

Dual Hgauss + any other weapons tend to delete enemies very quickly at medium range and closer, and scare off everything else. If they aren't working for you, you need to try some tactic that doesn't include sitting behind the rest of your team while they all die.

Edited by BTGbullseye, 06 January 2018 - 01:15 AM.

#116 dawnofwar2

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVietNam

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:29 AM

steiner double Hgauss lance coming

#117 mad kat

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:37 AM

View PostThatNumbGuy, on 05 January 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

...the atlas ddc turns to the annihilator 2a and says "Hey, where's the team?"

The annihilator 2a peeks over a building with its periscope cockpit, gets promptly shot before returning to cover and says "Found em. They all Nascared into the enemy team and got rolled."

This makes the atlas ddc sweat bullets.

Meanwhile the fafnir 5e is slowly positioning into a dead end building. The other two assaults look at him funny like, dude, wtf are you doing?

And the fafnir 5e calmly replies, "I'm setting up an ambush. Might as well do something different before we die."

The other two mechs look at each other for a solid minute before deciding, why not. It's just a game after all. Might as well go down swinging.

So they all nuzzle up their rear torsos against the nearest dead end buildings, ramp their seismic sensors to max tolerated by the community, and prepare for the ambush fights of their lives.

Wanna know more? YOU decide what happens next!

This is ThatNumbGuy, signing off!

Needs the radar on/off toggle and passive sensors switch from MW4 too.

#118 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:16 AM

IS always gets the slow fatties with less hard points than Clan counterparts....

Speed is one of the biggest problems for IS mechs, especially in FP. Where can i use a 50 kph mech except siege defense?!

Max engine 325? Another Mauler? Guess which IS assault mech is good? Cyclops with higher engine rating!

#119 dawnofwar2

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts
  • LocationVietNam

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:19 AM

just wait hauptman and sunder come out

#120 Poseidolon

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 26 posts