Fish Food! (Piranha Build Thread)

54 replies to this topic

#1 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:56 PM

Yeah, the fishie's a keeper. This thing is stupid fun.

PIR-1(S): the Buzzfish. Keeps the stock 12xMG, ditches the stock lasers for a single HML in the CT. Alpha to erase back armor, then eat up all the crits.

PIR-2: The more I look at the laser fishies the less I know what to do with them, but this was one idea I guess.

PIR-A: the Suckerfish. Obligatory 4xAMS lurmbrella with 1xHML+2xERSL for actually hurting things.

PIR-CI: the Zenfish. Because it's balanced, see?

No clue what to do with the PIR-3 and PIR-B, but... the spare PIR-1, I shall dub the Saltfish. 110% pure trolololz-grade salt in a 20-ton shaker.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 23 January 2018 - 04:13 PM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Not a fan of heavy lasers. PIR-1

I just can't love micro lasers. PIR-2

And this may be a very bad plan. PIR-A

~Leone.

#3 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:02 AM

Must be a skill based mech because they seem to die in a fire every time I see them with barely any damage done.

#4 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

They are no Lolcust, that's for sure, paper thin armour, and don't seem as agile.

#5 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:56 AM

Less maneuverable then my bane.. I can out turn them.. But i can not out gun them ..

Not a bad mech from my view point... I dont see much of anything happening with them though..

and i see some nerfs coming

#6 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:15 AM

Well I got some encounters last evening and as long as they are doing swarm tactics they are fine and quite deadly...the moment they are single they are sushi.

Edited by The Basilisk, 24 January 2018 - 01:15 AM.

#7 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:04 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 24 January 2018 - 01:15 AM, said:

Well I got some encounters last evening and as long as they are doing swarm tactics they are fine and quite deadly...the moment they are single they are sushi.

With soy sauce and wasabi?

#8 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:58 AM

The game isn’t to see how much damage you can do, but if you can actually live long enough to deplete your magazines.

[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a3ca7c94d1e35bb[/smurfy]

UAC10?
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...39d1e15115a485a[/smurfy]

Edited by stealthraccoon, 24 January 2018 - 10:14 AM.

#9 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

View Post120mm, on 24 January 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

Must be a skill based mech because they seem to die in a fire every time I see them with barely any damage done.

In the few games I've played mine I've gotten a 4 kill, over 600 damage match and a 0 kill, under 40 damage match. If you're left alone to your own devices you can do some serious damage, but if you get caught out in the wrong spot you'll quickly be spectating the rest of the match.

As an aside I've found the number of mechs left can shift very quickly when there are four or five 20 ton mechs on each side so don't get discouraged if you're down 2 or 3 mechs.

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 10:48 AM

View PostPocket_Aces, on 24 January 2018 - 12:17 AM, said:

They are no Lolcust, that's for sure, paper thin armour, and don't seem as agile.

The PIR has the weakest armor of any 'Mech in the game right now- with only a little bit of leg structure (and a little bit of arm structure for two variants), it's only marginally more durable than the Locust was before quirks.

Which... I'm actually fine with, considering the gunload it carries. It's a fantastic sneaky day-wrecker, but the second you get too ballsy, you start losing bits of your 'Mech. I think it's part of the charm.

#11 Pfuscher1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:07 AM

A single 20 Tons Piranha has as much weapon hardpoints as 210 Tons of Cataphracts.
Sounds wrong? Is wrong.

They are ruining the gameplay even without skills. In a week it will be even worse.
This mech will be very hard to balance.

Unless this gets fixed I won't be buying MC or Mechs.

Moving some weapons into the arms would be the best solution.
Removing the leg structure quirks would also help, but seems to drastic.

Edited by Pfuscher1, 24 January 2018 - 11:08 AM.

#12 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:20 AM

I really like the piranha and i think all the clanners should have one.

The first day was basically a fishing expedition. load up a marauder with an ac20 dual snub nose, wait for the piranha and delete, by the way 12 machine guns cannot chew through the armour of a marauder, you are meant to wait till someone else opens the can before you feed.

We'll see once skilled, heck i have a pack of them myself, but at the moment weak as hell. the locust has more buffs, better agility, less firepower of course (but clans generally do have more) but hitboxes?

The commando and locust has the ability to shrug damage, heck the mystlynx has some of those abilities, but this thing (the piranha) just gets obliterated and i say that despite getting a KDR of 8 in the first 2 matches in one, 3 then 5 kills stole the lot mind you and still weak.

Feel free to buff a clan mech for a change, even if its an ammo bonus or something to enhance what it can actually do.

View PostPfuscher1, on 24 January 2018 - 11:07 AM, said:

A single 20 Tons Piranha has as much weapon hardpoints as 210 Tons of Cataphracts.
Sounds wrong? Is wrong.

They are ruining the gameplay even without skills. In a week it will be even worse.
This mech will be very hard to balance.

Unless this gets fixed I won't be buying MC or Mechs.

Moving some weapons into the arms would be the best solution.
Removing the leg structure quirks would also help, but seems to drastic.

don't remove the leg structure, the weapon hardpoints are irrelevant cause you can't do much with them due to weight issues, already we can sweep these things in no time flat, they are literally the first thing to die, its like clay pigeon shooting.

Actually if the weapon hardpoints went to the arms that would be an advantage for some players circling.

More to the point i don't think this mech is any more of a threat to a cataphract than the myst lynx already is, the myst lynx is already better unskilled.

Edited by Laser Kiwi, 24 January 2018 - 11:21 AM.

#13 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Is the Piranha capable of mounting an ERPPC ?
If yes, it might get interesting eventually ...
If not, insert *sadface* here ...

#14 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

View PostB0oN, on 24 January 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

Is the Piranha capable of mounting an ERPPC ?

Yes. It has ~7.5 tons available if you strip the arms, so you can fit the ERPPC, an extra heat sink, and 0.5t of whatever else. It is advisable to use one of the variants with a CT energy hardpoint, for protection and also because it mounts right underneath the cockpit. The PIR-2 and PIR-3 have higher mounts on the shoulders, but that leaves you with the possibility of getting neutered. Other than that, it doesn't really matter which variant you use because no PIR variant has any weapon quirks whatsoever.

#15 Rude Dog 2112

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts
  • LocationDeep down in Cajun land

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

Was in a match today where it came down to 2 medium mechs on the opposing team vs a single Piranha on ours....

... the Piranha beat 'em, lol.

In the hand of a "skilled" light pilot they are very nasty but if not piloted well might as well get ready for a fish fry....

#16 Pfuscher1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:32 AM

Double XP Event for Piranhas, so every ******* fish will be mastered in no time.... how antisocial can you be PGI?

#17 stealthraccoon

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

Yesterday I face-tanked a Cyclops - 10 MG’s and an erSL, then went on to kill steal 3 more on Terra. I also had like 5 games where i died with less than 90 damage to my name. Survival tree MANDATORY. Feast-or-famine in the brittle-fish.

I use the XL170 and SHS with an AMS - because it’s difficult to be helpful early in the match, so I can at least provide some LRM shield while I’m hanging back trying to not get stepped on.
[smurfy]http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6efec104226c192[/smurfy]

Edited by stealthraccoon, 25 January 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#18 Darrious Quinn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 244 posts
  • LocationUS East Coast

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

Yea its an odd duck. Once all 91 nodes were unlocked, I focused most of the points into mobility and survival with enough in firepower really just for magazines 1 and 2 with minimum required there. I did spend the points for the full 100% Rader Dep. That I think has been the deciding factor between my early, unskilled games and later successes. Besides skill nodes, standard Light mech rules still apply:
Don't Stop moving.
Let bigger mechs do the fighting first and clean up the survivors.
Don't stop moving.
Don't stand behind bigger mechs so they step on you.
Don't waste your time engaging other light mechs (Especially other Piranha, its just a waste of ammo)
... and don't stop moving!

PIR-1
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...dd4f7a9879106e4

With this build I managed to pull off some surprising scores... assuming we don't count the matches I was Insta-Gibbed from friendly fire O_O.
My best was 4 kills (they were all cherry red) with 600ish dmg. As my best, after that my performance with the mech evened off as people started to turn to Streak boats to counter the swarming schools of fish. Nothing you can do there except run, duck, dodge, dive and inevitably die tired.

Biggest issue I have with the Pir is the view port though. Way too small. I thought the Phoenix Locust was bad with the bars across the canopy. The forced tunnel vision is rough.

Despite the cursing, screaming, face palming, WTFing and the occasional yelp of victory as you kill your target before you explode as streak boats descend upon... it was still a fun mech. Comp level? I'm not one to wager a guess.... but we've seen stranger things.

#19 TX000

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:17 AM

Here are some working builds for me thus far :

12MG+3SL : Just enough ammo with the magazine nodes. Maybe I'll switch for HSL instead.

10SL aka novafish : I tried 12SL... Then I realized I don't like grilled fish. People ignore you most of the time since you don't go dakka dakka ! You can backstab those yummy assaults easily.

The survival tree really is mandatory for this mech. Stay with your team, take your time, don't go berzerk and you'll rack up the kills.

#20 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

I'm not a very good light pilot but I've been playing the 1, 2 and 3 a lot for the challenge. I've definitely had my share of sub 50 point games! It's a little like an assault, if you get into trouble you can't run away fast enough to avoid being killed. The armor is just too thin!

I run all with max armor except for the head, endo, ferro, DHS,and xl180.

PIR-1: Easy compared to the others. 12 MGs 3 Heavy SLs. Rest ammo.

PIR-2: 3 ERMLs, 12 ERMicros. Snipe with the Mediums, then backstab witht the micros.

PIR-3: I'm struggling with this one. I tried boating Micro pulses range is too short, ER smalls, too hot! Small Pulses, too hot! I found either I was way too hot so you would get in and have to run away and cool or remove weapons for extra DHS, but if I'm not boating a lot of weapons I might as well use a Cheeter for the ECM and better heat management and durability. My latest build is 14 ERMicros and a light Active probe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users