Crash - Reason = D3D Device Hung

25 replies to this topic

#1 Missile Magic

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:10 AM

Hello,

Hopefully this is in the right place, any help on this would be fantastic. While loading up, or after a match my game more often than not crashes and I get this message -

Present returned status DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED this can happen for a number of reasons:
The underlying hardware is unstable (check voltages etc)
The display driver encountered a bad state (ensure drivers are up to date with latest fixes)
The game issued a bad D3D command causing the driver to enter a bad state (log an issue stating the exact steps that resulted in this error occurring)
For more information please refer to the games knowledge base
Reason = D3D Device Hung

I run - ASUS Gaming ZX553VD-DM970T, Intel Core i7-7700HQ Quad Core Processor, 8GB DDR4 RAM, Dedicated GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Graphics.

I never had a problem until I updated my GeForce drivers, I've tried changing the performance for the game and selecting the preferred graphics processor to NVIDIA but it hasn’t had an effect.

Has anyone and experience of this? Any help would be amazing.

Thanks

Edited by Stottie, 29 January 2018 - 04:11 AM.

#2 sh0ckc0re

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

I am getting the same thing with my PC in the last few days. Random freezes mid game. Have you tried optimizing the game through the GeForce Experience program?

I just updated to GeForce 390.77 this afternoon. I will update if I figure anything out.

i7 5820k, GTX 1080, 32GB Ram.

#3 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:16 PM

Did you "update" your driver through Windows? If so, you actually went back at least several versions. (Microsoft has the bad habit of "updating" newer driver with much older ones, even as much as installing drivers that came out years before the first release of the GPU)

Also, you should probably manually update your DirectX install. (don't rely on the Windows update system)

Finally, which OS are you on? 10, 8, 7?

Edited by BTGbullseye, 29 January 2018 - 10:17 PM.

#4 Missile Magic

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the reply, I updated via NVIDIA Geforce Experience I've tried to reinstall the driver which had no effect. I'm running windows 10.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:02 AM

Roll back your GPU package update. New drivers are not always the best drivers for GPU, and the other pieces of the software may also being causing issues.

If you do not roll it back, un-install Nvidia/Geforce complete then do a customized install and install only the driver itself and go from there but I would suggest using the previous driver package that had been installed.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 02 February 2018 - 04:05 AM.

#6 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:49 AM

I'd recommend putting less voltage through the GPU, and the problem will probably not be seen anymore ... usually those cards draw close to their limit ... and if your only playing @ 1080p, its probably overpowered and overkill on its defaults anyway ...

#7 Draven Darkshadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:35 AM

getting this very same issue as well on the newer maps such as grim plexus..

on my rx 570 4gig (ryzen 5/1600 / 16 gig ddr4)

played a number games on my r7 360 2 gig and it worked fine for the most part...

and even on river city in the middle of the map.. been testing it with dx9/dx11 and it appears that with dx9 theres no apparent crash to desktop in grim plexus..

there was a few seconds of hanging in dx9 in grim plexus on a game i had earlier but did not ctd and seem to recover fine

tried a few modes such as full screen/windowed/full windowed seems like it crashes all the same with dx11 setting on

#8 Dongue Phalanges

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

having this same issue, support wasn't helpful. i5 7600k on MSI z270-A-pro / R9FuryX / 16gb ddr4. I've just reinstalled win10 and updated all bios and drivers to current.

Edited by Dongue Phalanges, 04 March 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#9 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:37 PM

Same problem and did everything tech support wanted, didnt change anything. Its a problem on there end doubt it will get fixed.

#10 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:16 PM

Support is generally Tier 1, running off a script based on what has worked or steps that still need to be taken. Other steps that players may provide are generally outside IT range due to potential issues for a variety of reasons. And the differences between desktop and laptops can be huge, with laptops requiring more work/troubleshooting steps more often than not.

View PostLances107, on 05 March 2018 - 05:37 PM, said:

Same problem and did everything tech support wanted, didnt change anything. Its a problem on there end doubt it will get fixed.

Nope, most of the time it is a driver/device issue. Fresh install of Windows 10? Below are the programs downloaded and installed if MWO is installed via Steam.

Directx 9c version 9.29.1974 June 2010 - last Directx 9c update (previous files do not update to the newest. Check Version/date listed)
https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=8109

Microsoft .NET Framework 4
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=17718

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86) and (x64)
https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=14632
and
https://www.microsof...ls.aspx?id=5555

Do not run any third party programs, esp those w/overlays (to remove possible conflicts.

Roll back the GPU driver a full series.

Is GPU OC at all or come OC from the mfg? IS CPU OC, if so by multiplier or BLCK/Frequency or both?

Underclock the GPU (for testing, of course) Issue still present?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 05 March 2018 - 08:17 PM.

#11 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:18 PM

Listen Tarl I know my computer, and if no other programs/modern games are having issues its common sense. This issue is MWO. The tech people have till the end of Friday to respond to the information I gave them, that they wanted. If they do not I am gone. If the devs can not be bothered to fix a problem clearly on there end, then there is no point to playing the game. I am not paid by MWO to figure which part of there game is mucking up the works with a modern alienware gaming computer.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

(chuckles) . Just fyi I assist with tech support for over 20 years because I actually want players to play and not quit. DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED error is a Directx error code that indicates the crashing of the driver, it is not a game nor specific hardware error. Nor is it a wide spread issue with MWO, and for any "fixes" to happen for most bugs/issues, a company needs to also replicate it internally.

If the issue was primarily PGI there would be tons more threads/posts, but there are't. Besides game updates there are windows and driver updates that interact with each other, never mind components on the fritz. And those who posted had just updated to the newest drivers or running the latest drivers. So far none have returned if they still have the issue, have they rolled back to a previous driver, etc. Again, troubleshooting.

Simply do a search for that error, hundreds of threads across tons of games. There is not a one shot, tis fixed solution/workaround either. Many sites offer steps to go through to help resolve an issue, ie troubleshooting steps.

https://appuals.com/...device_removed/

The decision though is ultimately yours on what steps you take or do not take.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 08 March 2018 - 06:55 PM.

#13 Caveman777

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

Hey, I keep having this issue a lot. Is there a solution? All my drivers are current, Running an Area-51 i7 4770, 16 g's ram, MSI Nvidia Geforce 650 gtx 1 gb. Plus the ping is bad, My range is between 80-400. Average 94-124. Pls help. Thanks

#14 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 08:17 PM

the best fix of this for the last 15 years or so, has been, lower the GPU core voltage .... depending on how the manufacturers felt like 'superclocking' cards on any day, them nvidia chips can be configured right on the line ... and thats usually fine, for the first year or two ....

I remember this issue going all the way back to my geforce MX 440 ....

also, if you get your laptop warm enough, expansion might cause the device to be 'actually removed' in electrical terms ...

#15 CrimsonRedX

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:06 PM

my game crashed twice today and it never did that before. could it be from the update yesterday (4/19)? Bug… Hot fix needed?

#16 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:00 AM

I found a solution for the D3D Device Hung thing. For me UNDERCLOCKING my GPU worked with MSI Afterburner.

I put the Core Clock on -30 and it works now! Almost no crashes, and never because of D3D Device Hung! (got a 1070)

I still get occasional Screen Freezes/Lags for about 1 sec, that was when the game normally crashed, now the game seems to just work over that somehow! Good luck!

#17 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

Hello there ppls =)

Im having the same issue here, nothing has been updated only MWO and suddenly this started to happen. I have pretty damned "OP" computer for this game there shouldnt be any issues with PSU since its gives out 1,2kW.. but this still same problem remains... I have tested pretty much everything else expect removing my 3y old titans... I have reseated them several times and checked everything I cant think off.

Only problems I still can imagine that some MWO patch did horrible things on directX and now something is coming apart. Ill keep you guys informed if something comes up !

Moira from [LURM]

Edited by Moira, 14 August 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#18 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:17 PM

Hello. Back with update and fix. So latest nvidia drivers are bad and going back to driver from january last xmas seem to fix this issue. Im not entirely sure but there is some kinda OC in it or so it over drives your gpu into a bad state / crash... and I mean these newer drivers from this summer.

Sorry for bad grammar and so.. im typing this from a older model phone.

EDIT: Ok im back home now and doing "the fix list and needed links and so forth" .. back in few

Edited by Moira, 15 August 2018 - 03:37 AM.

#19 KursedVixen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,880 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 26 March 2023 - 02:53 PM

i've recnetlky been getting this error as well i haven't had this problem until the recent update
only happens in MWo
Posted Image

Edited by KursedVixen, 29 March 2023 - 02:40 AM.

#20 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:05 AM

Are you playing in full window mode?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users