#161 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

View PostOdanan, on 21 February 2018 - 08:45 AM, said:

With some small tweaking (quirks), any chassis can be valid. I find my solution more elegant than a floating (and subjective) approach.

[mod]

Redacted Inappropriate comment

[/mod]

View PostCathy, on 21 February 2018 - 10:28 AM, said:

It's a good deal.

Seems unless it's better than a Madcat or a Mad II it's bad these days.

I would snap it up in an instant if only P.G.I would give a straight answer to the question I've been asking since bolt ons were mentioned.

Are they going to be visible in Quick Play or Just Solaris.

I'd have also bought the Laner, but until the answer is given clearly, I'm not spending money.

Bolt-ons are Solaris-specific. they've said that from the get-go.

[mod]

Redacted inappropriate comment

[/mod]

Edited by poopenshire, 26 February 2018 - 11:18 AM.

#162 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:38 AM

Is Yen Lo Wang a solaris mech ? If yes maybe it should go on discount in April ?

#163 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:47 AM

Yes, it is: http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Yen-Lo-Wang

#164 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

Yen-Lo-Wang was famous for being Solaris Champion a number of times, but it was famous as far more than just a Solaris 'Mech, becoming a Family Heirloom that Justin used in duting his Military Career with house Liao, carried his wife Candace Liao to safety when House Davion evacced him, and continued to use until passing it down to Kai. the modifications to the original Yen-Lo were made by the Wolf's Dragoons engineer Clovis Holstein and were commissioned by Hanse Davion, as Kai had ranked highest in WD trials, and had given up a Wolf's Dragoons Dire Wolf in favor of his family 'Mech, which had given Victor (who'd placed third) and Hohiro (who'd placed second) them instead.

It should also be noted that Yen-Lo and Kai actually managed to survive a fall off a cliff somewhere around a mile high into ocean during combat on Alyina, essentially shoulder-checking a Timber Wolf over it that had been threatening Victor's heavily damaged Dire Wolf, the Prometheus. and ended up making a deal with the Jade Falcons to allow him, his future wife Deidre Lear and his mech to leave some time later.

#165 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 February 2018 - 01:20 PM

View PostHorseman, on 21 February 2018 - 07:20 AM, said:

This would result in is putting mechs with wildly different performance caps against each other just because they're in a similar tonnage bracket, end result being that only a few "meta" chassis and builds are ever used.
PGI's solution would see underperformers relegated to divisions where they face against similarly performing chassis while the "meta" chassis only face others of their kind, meaning that a much wider variety of mechs can find their place in Solaris.

View PostJonathan8883, on 21 February 2018 - 09:35 AM, said:

The floating approach is better for balance. A Spider will never compete well with an Arctic Cheetah or even an Osiris, but matches up well against a Locust. It's probably still screwed against a Pirhana, though.

The floating approach would be perfect IF it's dynamic. Meaning: when a certain variant is winning matches, it climbs the tiers. The first ratings would be subjective, but with some time, the game would balance itself.

#166 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:51 AM

View PostHorseman, on 22 February 2018 - 05:47 AM, said:

Essentially, if you actually read that page you linked, Yen-Lo-Wang isn't so much a Solaris 'Mech as it is the Quintessential Hero 'Mech. It's famous for being Solaris champ a few times, sure, but it has a long and varied career in actual combat too, and under three MechWarriors that were considered among the best of their respective generations: Justin Xiang Allard, Kai Allard-Liao, and Danai Liao-Centrella.

#167 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:07 AM

View PostArkhangel, on 23 February 2018 - 04:51 AM, said:

Essentially, if you actually read that page you linked, Yen-Lo-Wang isn't so much a Solaris 'Mech as it is the Quintessential Hero 'Mech. It's famous for being Solaris champ a few times, sure, but it has a long and varied career in actual combat too, and under three MechWarriors that were considered among the best of their respective generations: Justin Xiang Allard, Kai Allard-Liao, and Danai Liao-Centrella.
You're reading more into a simple "yes, it is" than it actually means. The mech's lore is strongly tied to S7 - that's enough to make it count as a "Solaris mech", and I do not in any way, shape or form imply it's a "Solaris-only mech".

Edited by Horseman, 23 February 2018 - 06:08 AM.

#168 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 23 February 2018 - 06:38 AM

View PostOdanan, on 22 February 2018 - 01:20 PM, said:

The floating approach would be perfect IF it's dynamic. Meaning: when a certain variant is winning matches, it climbs the tiers. The first ratings would be subjective, but with some time, the game would balance itself.

It's still tricky even as its dynamic...

Lets consider a mech like the Trebuchet:
Mostly ignored until the tech update last year, the twin MRM 30 build is suddenly quite viable so it's stock rises. Then this week, MRM30s get nerfed... does it continue to "float" or does it sink?

The dynamics would get unwieldy with everything but the most extreme ends of the spectrum (the spider with 3-4 hardpoints vs the piranha with 15 is low hanging fruit)

You have to take speed into account, probably actual loadout (range, dps, alpha all independently weighted), defensive capabilities. And that's all before you even consider comparing the relative skill of the players (though this may be easier in 1v1/2v2 than 12v12)...

What I'm saying is that it will most likely be either too oversimplified to be "fair" to some players or so complicated one may find themselves playing against the same person each time... or the matchups will simply become headscratching...

#169 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 23 February 2018 - 06:38 AM, said:

It's still tricky even as its dynamic...

Lets consider a mech like the Trebuchet:
Mostly ignored until the tech update last year, the twin MRM 30 build is suddenly quite viable so it's stock rises. Then this week, MRM30s get nerfed... does it continue to "float" or does it sink?

The dynamics would get unwieldy with everything but the most extreme ends of the spectrum (the spider with 3-4 hardpoints vs the piranha with 15 is low hanging fruit)

You have to take speed into account, probably actual loadout (range, dps, alpha all independently weighted), defensive capabilities. And that's all before you even consider comparing the relative skill of the players (though this may be easier in 1v1/2v2 than 12v12)...

What I'm saying is that it will most likely be either too oversimplified to be "fair" to some players or so complicated one may find themselves playing against the same person each time... or the matchups will simply become headscratching...

Its simple, PGI are going to throw darts at a board, get the skill of each chassis completely wrong and slowly over 6+ 3 month seasons move the most picked mechs up tiers and the least picked mechs down tiers. So that by the time its close to balanced the game is dead from fustration.

#170 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:04 AM

View PostHorseman, on 23 February 2018 - 06:07 AM, said:

You're reading more into a simple "yes, it is" than it actually means. The mech's lore is strongly tied to S7 - that's enough to make it count as a "Solaris mech", and I do not in any way, shape or form imply it's a "Solaris-only mech".

Well, the point though is Yen-Lo's a well-known 'Mech perod, really. This pack's more set for well-known per-the-lore Solaris-only fighters and their 'mechs of choice.

#171 PanzerTC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 104 posts
  • LocationA Tank

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:37 AM

Well, I put my money where my mouth is and picked up a set. I think like all things PGI, there will be some complaining and not all the fan base will be please. I hope this takes off as S7 was one of my favorites in the boxed sets that FASA made. I liked getting the minis and converting them. Nostalgia has driven this purchase, but I think I will enjoy it. It is a great deal compared to the other packs.

#172 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,185 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

I kinda hope they added an Elevator somewhere on the Factory map, it's supposed to be one of the features there.

#173 Poltuhgeist

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 32 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

All this is awesome, you have to agree

but I have one question left

Who piloted the Atlas?

Also here is a list of who had what.

Atlas: Jason Bloch/Ervin Rebelke
Griffin: Peter Armstrong
Rifleman: Phillip Capet
Urbanmech: Some guy
Vulture: Garret
Firestarter: Some Guy
Banshee: Victor Vandergriff

#174 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 12:20 AM

So...where's that 'next week' FAQ?

#175 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 February 2018 - 01:29 AM

View PostMikayshen, on 25 February 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

Everyone wants to know!

#176 Pelmeshek

• 2,256 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationRussia

Posted 25 February 2018 - 03:26 AM

View PostMikayshen, on 25 February 2018 - 12:20 AM, said:

View PostHorseman, on 25 February 2018 - 01:29 AM, said:

Everyone wants to know!

PGI just too lazy for add in.

#177 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:22 AM

With respect to the annual rewards programme, will this pack count towards IS or Clan or BOTH :-) or ??

The rewards are a bonus, but it is always useful to know.

CH

#178 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,698 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

View PostChuanhao, on 25 February 2018 - 05:22 AM, said:

With respect to the annual rewards programme, will this pack count towards IS or Clan or BOTH :-) or ??

The rewards are a bonus, but it is always useful to know.

CH

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if there will be a loyalty reward for it, it will have a separate one from normal mech packs.

#179 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

View PostHorseman, on 25 February 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that if there will be a loyalty reward for it, it will have a separate one from normal mech packs.

Yeah, Rather than IS or CLAN per se, we get more "SOLARIS" mechs, which is cool in itself, with suitable decals, war horns etc.

#180 RazerThrone07

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:43 AM

Can someone tell me the advantage of buying the Solaris 7 pre-order before release?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users