My Big Issue With Solaris 7 Pack.. Why The Clan Mech? (Ohh Yea And The Firestarter Ember Copy)

49 replies to this topic

#1 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:26 AM

Let me start off by saying, i actually like this package as a whole. IMO it is a great way to get a wanna-be founders D, and i think the others are pretty cool. Maybe they won't be top mechs, but they all seam fairly solid.

But what bugs me is that lone MadDog.. as a IS and Clan only account person it just bugs me that it has a clan mech stuck in the package. Why PGI why did you not make it a Catapult instead, though they do already have two heroes so perhaps something else but you get my point. It just seams wrong to stick that lone clan mech into the package.

As for the firestarter, i really am scratching my head at the "Reverse Ember" Why not something like the S, A or H? Anything that was a bit different and unique that was not already a hero. Another Urbie hero i'm not sure was needed either, but i do get that it is a fan fav so ok. This really has me scratching my head on why it was picked as the one to go with. There already is the hero version of the mech too, so it doesn't even really fill that void.

For all those Clanners out there, I'd love to see a Solaris Clan pack too down the road so don't think i am just some Clan hater, it's just a package thing that is bugging me. Like the steam packs that i'd never buy because they are mixed. If Only PGI would sell those things as singles i'd have bought a few mechs from them at least but i digress.

Nothing is probably going to be done, but i just wanted to say my peace for future packages. Even as a incredibly good deal as a package over all, for folks like me that split accounts it can cause a no sale just cause of the simple perception of buying something and paying for something i won't use even if it is just a small part of the package.

#2 Water Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:33 AM

I thought all the mechs looked pretty uninteresting, TBH. I also wonder how many Urbie heroes the world needs. The Urbie was supposed to be a mech so bad that scoring a kill with it was a heroic achievement. It's been buffed so intensely that it's actually a top tier light in SQ, which has me also kind of scratching my head.

#3 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:39 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 22 February 2018 - 06:33 AM, said:

I thought all the mechs looked pretty uninteresting, TBH. I also wonder how many Urbie heroes the world needs. The Urbie was supposed to be a mech so bad that scoring a kill with it was a heroic achievement. It's been buffed so intensely that it's actually a top tier light in SQ, which has me also kind of scratching my head.

Once upon a time, PGI thought the idea of adding the Urbanmech to the game was such a ridiculous idea that they played an April Fool's joke once by announcing it. Then there was such an outcry over it that they realized that people actually really wanted the thing. Problem being that in order to really add it to the game, they had to make it viable in some manner. So they gave it an engine cap far higher than it should have had and also a pile of armor quirks. I know the Urbanmech is supposed to suck but it has such a fanbase that it is quite beloved in the battletech fandom. Otherwise, PGI wouldn't be showing it so much love I'm sure.

#4 Spare Parts Bin

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:42 AM

PGI does wonderful things like contests, new maps, etc. However alot of what they do is a half measure at best or completely Gumped Up at worst.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 22 February 2018 - 06:43 AM.

#5 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:45 AM

View PostMole, on 22 February 2018 - 06:39 AM, said:

Once upon a time, PGI thought the idea of adding the Urbanmech to the game was such a ridiculous idea that they played an April Fool's joke once by announcing it. Then there was such an outcry over it that they realized that people actually really wanted the thing. Problem being that in order to really add it to the game, they had to make it viable in some manner. So they gave it an engine cap far higher than it should have had and also a pile of armor quirks. I know the Urbanmech is supposed to suck but it has such a fanbase that it is quite beloved in the battletech fandom. Otherwise, PGI wouldn't be showing it so much love I'm sure.

I was around for all of that, but I had actually forgotten the history. I think you (and OP) are right, it's been buffed because it was popular.

The thing that bothers me about it specifically is the way some people still treat it as if it's a gimp 'mech and being killed by one is a shame upon your name. The thing is actually pretty good though.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:50 AM

actually think the pack should have more clan offerings. i have too few clan heros in my inventory for my tastes, meanwhile i have more is heros than i need. had this pack been 4 of each it would have been worth buying for me. but as it stands, nope.

#7 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 06:58 AM

View PostWater Bear, on 22 February 2018 - 06:45 AM, said:

The thing that bothers me about it specifically is the way some people still treat it as if it's a gimp 'mech and being killed by one is a shame upon your name. The thing is actually pretty good though.

Do they though? I see way more people calling it OP (It really isn't, it's just one of the few forgiving lights) than anything else.

#8 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 February 2018 - 06:26 AM, said:

But what bugs me is that lone MadDog.. as a IS and Clan only account person it just bugs me that it has a clan mech stuck in the package. Why PGI why did you not make it a Catapult instead, though they do already have two heroes so perhaps something else but you get my point. It just seams wrong to stick that lone clan mech into the package.

One could argue that you chose to play with multiple accounts to circumvent FP loyality restrictions and PGI is not required to support this with their mechpack contents. Of cause the whole loyality thing was debatable (i think it was a mistake to value the loyality immersion higher than player's freedom) and will at least be less restrictive next patch. But by creating a second account you should have been aware of potential future disadvantages when it comes to mechpacks, events and their rewards.

Personally i too would have liked separate mechpacks with 3-4 heroes for each side for 15 bucks each to have more control over what i spend and get, but it is how it is now.

Edited by Daggett, 22 February 2018 - 07:03 AM.

#9 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:08 AM

View PostBombast, on 22 February 2018 - 06:58 AM, said:

Do they though? I see way more people calling it OP (It really isn't, it's just one of the few forgiving lights) than anything else.

I should say, they have in the past. I've seen people post "it's actually pretty decent <insert "the more you know" rainbow> if you play it right!" and then also brag about scoring some amount of kills in one. Is it good, or so bad that performing well is an achievement?

Not sure if people are still having this conversation, though.

#10 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 22 February 2018 - 06:50 AM, said:

actually think the pack should have more clan offerings. i have too few clan heros in my inventory for my tastes, meanwhile i have more is heros than i need. had this pack been 4 of each it would have been worth buying for me. but as it stands, nope.

Please let me restate.. I am not saying not to make Clan heroes.. I'm just saying for this one Solaris Pack it should of been all IS.

I am also saying.. There should be Solaris 7 "Clan Pack" as well.. though i could understand if they made it less mechs or a different price as clans are omni's. Just push it to the Next months pre-order package.. aka Just like Last summer's Civil war packages, and the Hero packages too.

#11 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:18 AM

Seems to me in the real mw world you probably wouldn't be seeing many if any clan mechs in Solaris. At least in the year we are playing. I think that we even got one makes us lucky and that one being widely considered a solid mech because of the CT, even more so. Add up that the pack is one hell of a deal, especially for newer players, I think we should be fairly happy about it

#12 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:24 AM

Never satisfied.

#13 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:26 AM

The reason they chose the mechs and loadouts that they did is purely due to lore. They didn't stick in a bunch of Clan mechs or have a whole separate Clan pack because there's really only ONE Clanner in lore that does Solaris 7. Supposedly they're a notable pilot and I guess PGI wanted to represent the fact they know about them. I'm not sure if that pilot used a Vulture, but it was likely taken as a good opportunity to also semi-represent for the MW4 version of the Vulture, what with the CT energy hardpoints. If it bothers you that much, just sell the mech and use the bay for something else. You were already going to likely end up with cross-faction mechs due to the hero giveaway during the holiday season.

#14 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:33 AM

View PostDaggett, on 22 February 2018 - 07:02 AM, said:

One could argue that you chose to play with multiple accounts to circumvent FP loyality restrictions and PGI is not required to support this with their mechpack contents. Of cause the whole loyality thing was debatable (i think it was a mistake to value the loyality immersion higher than player's freedom) and will at least be less restrictive next patch. But by creating a second account you should have been aware of potential future disadvantages when it comes to mechpacks, events and their rewards.

Personally i too would have liked separate mechpacks with 3-4 heroes for each side for 15 bucks each to have more control over what i spend and get, but it is how it is now.

It kinda is from the side of Single side only customers. They are just as valuable as players that play both sides. I know for a fact that their are players that are IS or Clan only.. Clans were out for almost 2 years before i even made the second account and tried them. The whole reason i made the second account was some odd sense of RP. But there are more than enough players in this game that just play one side, so it really is kinda the same for them too. PGI should sell packages in the way that most players would be willing to buy them. Maybe i'm the only one that just completely says no to split pacakges, but i kinda feel like that is not the case.

My post is basically saying as a customer, buying a split package is just not happening. It's my money and it just makes me look to something else right from the start. Like i said, i'd of probably picked up a couple of steam mechs if they were split. Its basically some lost revenue on their side. I dunno how many others feel this way. Maybe others that are Clan or IS only customers can weigh in. This in no way is about players running two accounts for some work around to circumvent MM, or FW, or solaris or what ever.. We all know the bonus to having two accounts is double event rewards anyway.. Posted Image Posted Image

It's also a bummer with premium time and if i had to do all over again i would not of made the separate account.. but i'm in to deep with spending on both to go back now. But like i said double event rewards kinda makes up for that in the end.. just a lot more grinding and work managing the two accounts but that is not what this thread is about.

It also kinda sucks if you are that clanner only guy that Really, Really, Really wants that Maddog

View PostCygnusX7, on 22 February 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

Never satisfied.

It's Called Feedback... I'm essentially saying, that split mech packs are a no-sale from the start for some people.. Sorry if that bugs you.. But before you say stuff like that about someone might wanna check their post history and actually see how many things they complain about first.. This is purely sales feedback on how they go about selling said packages, nothing more, nothing less.. and Ok.. a different firestarter would of made it far more appealing to me as i love firestarters, but i already own an ember

I guess i gotta laugh.. With all the Salt and agree posters on this forum that do nothing but complain you call me out with that?

::::In my Mothers 72 year old voice... "Really....?"::::

Edited by JC Daxion, 22 February 2018 - 07:53 AM.

#15 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

View PostAlkabides, on 22 February 2018 - 07:18 AM, said:

Seems to me in the real mw world you probably wouldn't be seeing many if any clan mechs in Solaris. At least in the year we are playing. I think that we even got one makes us lucky and that one being widely considered a solid mech because of the CT, even more so. Add up that the pack is one hell of a deal, especially for newer players, I think we should be fairly happy about it

Clanners start their own Stable in 3066 as I recall, which is within the current timeline.

View PostCygnusX7, on 22 February 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

Never satisfied.

Essentially.

#16 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 07:58 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 February 2018 - 07:33 AM, said:

It's Called Feedback... I'm essentially saying, that split mech packs are a no-sale from the start for some people.. Sorry if that bugs you.. But before you say stuff like that about someone might wanna check their post history and actually see how many things they complain about first.. This is purely sales feedback on how they go about selling said packages, nothing more, nothing

I guess i gotta laugh.. With all the Salt and agree posters on this forum that do nothing but complain you call me out with that?

::::In my Mothers 72 year old voice... "Really....?"::::

Not enough hugs from Mom?

The useless whining gets old. Especially about free and/or cheap mech packs.
Considering the atmosphere of this forum, I don't know why I'm surprised that 7 hero mechs for $30 that would normally cost over $100 ends up with a whine thread.

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:05 AM

View PostCygnusX7, on 22 February 2018 - 07:58 AM, said:

Not enough hugs from Mom?

The useless whining gets old. Especially about free and/or cheap mech packs.
Considering the atmosphere of this forum, I don't know why I'm surprised that 7 hero mechs for $30 that would normally cost over $100 ends up with a whine thread.

and again out of all the last 20 pages of threads.. you pick this one to complain about whining, when the thread is basically i tiny suggestion... Not the many page rant threads about the horrible choices they made for solaris pacakages in other threads... that one didn't get it.. it was.. I don't buy split packages that threw you over the edge lol..

i say again.. Thank you internet.. you never fail...

#18 Alkabides

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostBombast, on 22 February 2018 - 07:34 AM, said:

Clanners start their own Stable in 3066 as I recall, which is within the current timeline.

Essentially.

We're 3057 right now, so 10 years off. Unless they advance the timeline. If they do that would we see new tech too?

Edited by Alkabides, 22 February 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#19 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 22 February 2018 - 08:05 AM, said:

and again out of all the last 20 pages of threads.. you pick this one to complain about whining, when the thread is basically i tiny suggestion... Not the many page rant threads about the horrible choices they made for solaris pacakages in other threads... that one didn't get it.. it was.. I don't buy split packages that threw you over the edge lol..

i say again.. Thank you internet.. you never fail...

Luck of the draw, I guess.

Edited by CygnusX7, 22 February 2018 - 08:07 AM.

#20 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:13 AM

View PostAlkabides, on 22 February 2018 - 08:06 AM, said:

We're 3057 right now, so 10 years off. Unless they advance the timeline. If they do that would we see new tech too?

FW is in 3057. The rest of the game is in 3067.

If that sounds stupid, that's because 1) it is, and 2) PGI is basically stuck because units won't cooperate with the lore and the timeline basically can't progress map wise unless they strong arm the playerbase or finally throw there hands up and go 'Screw it, nothing from the books can happen now.'

Edited by Bombast, 22 February 2018 - 08:14 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users