63 replies to this topic

#41 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

View PostBohxim, on 25 February 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

Chortles, iirc the spread was nerfed by 0.5m for clan mgs.
But hitscan is still pretty nice to have on the mgs.

Think the piranha is fine where it is. It loses something when someone sneezes on it and it only carries like 4.5 tonnes of mg ammo with 12 lmg/mg. That's barely 3 minutes of fighting. 1 of the reasons I kept a medium laser on. At least I can nibble when my ammo runs dry

4.5 tons of ammo is 9,000 rounds without even dipping into the skill tree. That's 900 damage and more than enough.

#42 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostAutoCannon Addict, on 24 February 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I realize I may be out of line for even posting this, but here it goes. I've been seeing all of these people running nothing but machine guns, but in reality atleast in other mechwarrior games machine guns should not do nearly as much damage to a mech unless they are already opened up for critting. So why are they doing so much damage and stripping armor off Atlas's center torso so quickly? What is PGI going to do about this?

In MW2 it was possible to boat enough MGs to do 80 damage per second...

Far as the rest, well I gotta go get some popcorn.

#43 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:57 PM

View PostBombast, on 24 February 2018 - 06:31 PM, said:

The Clan's needed a 20 tonner, and the only ones people asked for were the Fire Moth (Even after PGI told everyone that was absolutely not happening) and the Piranha. So here we are.

thats the Thinking Mans Shooter ...MW5 Mods Questions ..what will the comm...Kajin Mods...Godzilla Mods...WH 40k Mods ...

Customization for Solaris ...what will the new Comm...helmets,Shilds, Robomasks ,Tails ,Demonmask ,Horns

#44 MechWarrior5152251

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

They cannot nerf them until the Pirahna is out for C-Bills. Otherwise people who paid hard cash would be pissed.

#45 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:38 PM

I don't even have a Piranha and I would still be pissed.

#46 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:42 PM

They cannot nerf them until the Pirahna is out for C-Bills. Otherwise people who paid hard cash would be pissed.

pretty sure most people who bought the pirahna are already pissed anyway :P

#47 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

I was surprised my by Black Lanner with 6 heavy MGs and 2 Lasers was doing so well MG wise. Made me wonder about all that too. I mean, really? a MG so effective for such Armor? Don't get me started on PGI's over use of heat.

#48 Gristle Missile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:31 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 25 February 2018 - 02:31 PM, said:

Because the damage against armor is exactly what those on-par-or-worse 'Mechs are relying on.

There is a very good reason I do not put LMGs on my Arrow.

So give mechs that can run MGs in reasonable numbers ROF quirks to counter balance it

Edited by Gristle Missile, 25 February 2018 - 09:32 PM.

#49 Foxfire

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:38 PM

Lest be honest.. the primary reason for MG's don't exist in this game (infantry and other light targets)... but, correct me if I am wrong.. but wasn't the secondary use of MG's in Battletech in Mech vs. Mech combat to give more opportunities to score crit hits via more dice rolls?

*edits to add*
Of course.. I don't think they should be effective against armored locations... only those locations stripped of armor. If they are effective for stripping armor, that is an issue that should be addressed.

Edited by Foxfire, 25 February 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#50 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 25 February 2018 - 09:42 PM

View PostFoxfire, on 25 February 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

Lest be honest.. the primary reason for MG's don't exist in this game (infantry and other light targets)... but, correct me if I am wrong.. but wasn't the secondary use of MG's in Battletech in Mech vs. Mech combat to give more opportunities to score crit hits via more dice rolls?

*edits to add*
Of course.. I don't think they should be effective against armored locations... only those locations stripped of armor. If they are effective for stripping armor, that is an issue that should be addressed.

They had the same damage as an AC2
A weight twelve times as massive

The reason they were "Crit Weapons" was because you could mount many of them, meaning each one got a Crit Roll.

They aren't Anti Infantry weapons, the same way a Gau-8 isn't an Anti Infantry weapon.
They'll both do the job, but they aren't weaksauce by any means.

#51 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostGristle Missile, on 25 February 2018 - 09:31 PM, said:

So give mechs that can run MGs in reasonable numbers ROF quirks to counter balance it

Ammo consumption.

#52 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

I believe if PGI fixed hit detection against light mechs we wouldn't be talking about this

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 26 February 2018 - 10:24 PM.

#53 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 801 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:22 AM

View PostYosharian, on 25 February 2018 - 02:26 PM, said:

No, you're wrong.

Next time you try telling people that they're wrong at least attempt to "argue" sonething that they have actually said / written. Otherwiseyou make yourself look just as stupid as you did here.

It's not that boating is weak in TT, it's that not boating is weak in MWO.

Both parts of that comment have zero connection to what I wrote: I neither claimed that boating in TT is weak, nor did I comment on "not boating in mwo being weak". What I wrote in no uncertain terms: Boating is strong in both cases (and in pretty much all other games that allow it) and thus boating is no particular problem of this game ... which kind of was the claim behind the post that I commented on.

In MWO, boating allows you to aim in exactly the same way with all your weapon systems.

Again something I didn't actually claim otherwise ... although I still maintain the point that pin point accuracy is not that pin point with machine guns due to the incolved spread mechanics (which are affecting clan mgs more than IS ones).

If you have several diverse weapon systems, you have to alter your trajectory calculations, hold your target for missiles, etc etc, basically alter your play in a way that TT mechs simply do not have to do.

Which is a nice and dandy observation ... but still totally unrelated to what I wrote and where you try to say that I'm wrong.

A tabletop mech can utilize several different weapon systems as efficiently as it can utilize one boated weapon system (not talking about range, obviously so don't start attacking that strawman).

Since you're the one who started strawmanning things here, I suggest that you keep your reminders to yourself.
And as far as utilzing different weapon systems in TT is concerned: I didn't claim otherwise. But I did say that boating 3ML is better than having 1LL just as boating 6SL on a fast mech is better than those 3ML

An MWO player cannot do this.

But not necessarily due to the reasons you're thinking of and definitely not because of anything that I claimed ... or rather didn't claum.

That's why people boat in MWO: because it's easier.

It's just as easy as in any other game that allows boating and provides an identical benefit ...

#54 Flitzomat

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 26 February 2018 - 02:16 AM

I´d propose to sit back relaxed and enjoy the tickling of MGs as long as they are viable. It´ll change soon enough.

After all please remember, they were absolutely useless for the most time since MWO exists.

#55 Scythe Kagato

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

I guess what boggles me is that when a superlight mech gets punched in the nose with a heavy projectile, it carries on like nothing happened. Seriously, if these paper mechs ran into a wall, they'd eat some damage. If they got pushed by a more massive mech or projectile, they'd fall on their metal asses. As it is, these little toys can literally charge straight into a wall or assault leg with little penalty. I say they need to pay a penalty for their piss-poor driving.

#56 Steel Claws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 665 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:10 AM

A while back I suggested putting a jam mechanic on them but everyone was pretty quiet about supporting such an idea. [color=#222222]No one wanted to admit that they were way too effective as they set in large groups. [/color]Weapons with almost no weight that can be used to destroy the target's weapons without having to completely damage the component.
My thought is that the odds of jamming increase with the number of machine guns installed and the length of time they have fired. At the very least they should generate heat that sums with the number used.

#57 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 26 February 2018 - 04:19 AM

View PostKin3ticX, on 24 February 2018 - 05:55 PM, said:

They doubled down on it with the Piranha for reasons I cant even fathom.

Mech Pack Sales.

Edited by Appogee, 26 February 2018 - 04:20 AM.

#58 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:49 AM

I enjoyed p!aying DDO this weekend.

#59 Z01

• PipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 50 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:04 AM

I am dead in 2 second if a piranha come up my back. I tried chasing others with mg but mine simply refused to register hit. It all boils down to hitreg. MG works extremely well for some but failed me badly.

Edited by Z01, 26 February 2018 - 07:05 AM.

#60 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

Shoot the legs!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users