#61 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:43 PM

View PostLeone, on 28 February 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

Oh, my apologies, did folk want reviews?

Gameplay looks fun and engaging. 4.5/5 on visuals. Visceral mech on mech action the really appeals to a strategy gamer. Could use more unseen though.

Actual gameplay itself, controls well, plenty of options, different mechs and weapons have different approachs and roles in combat. Might not be classic battletech rules, but it's got that feel, and that's what matters. 'nother 5/5

Story, written by HBS, also optional. 5/5 Just on account of the whole your choice bit, even though we've not gotten it yet.

Ummm, what else do review folk do? I never really read them.

~Leone.

You forgot that HBS will let you mess with the game files all you want, so long as you keep it for single player... during my time with the beta, I messed around with AC/s and got them all to be multi-shot, putting damage all over the target (with a weighted center), it made them feel right... also I fixed PPC long before HBS did, it was nice to see them to implement a similar fix to what I did.

#62 w4ldO

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 298 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:49 PM

View PostSplatshot, on 28 February 2018 - 11:30 AM, said:

This is not a AAA game. If it was it would be $60 or more and have a Season Pass.

Also Backing it and Pre-ordering are two different things.

i have the suspicion you only read the most readable line in my post. please also read the last line of my post
this topic is about preorder, not backing, which are two different things Posted ImagePosted Image

#63 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Got confused at first when they only announced a Steam release but then checked and found it will be out on GOG too.

PvE will move some portion of players away from MWO.

#64 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:35 PM

Completely different game style though. Plus how many PvE holdouts are honestly still playin MWO?

#65 Splatshot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

View Postw4ldO, on 28 February 2018 - 12:49 PM, said:

i have the suspicion you only read the most readable line in my post. please also read the last line of my post
this topic is about preorder, not backing, which are two different things Posted ImagePosted Image

Second line was in response to others I just grouped it together.

#66 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 February 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

You forgot that HBS will let you mess with the game files all you want, so long as you keep it for single player... during my time with the beta, I messed around with AC/s and got them all to be multi-shot, putting damage all over the target (with a weighted center), it made them feel right... also I fixed PPC long before HBS did, it was nice to see them to implement a similar fix to what I did.

Well technically they allow it for multiplayer as well. The game just requires both players to have the same mods installed IIRC at least for skirmish anyways.

#67 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 03:13 PM

View PostStinger554, on 28 February 2018 - 02:44 PM, said:

Well technically they allow it for multiplayer as well. The game just requires both players to have the same mods installed IIRC at least for skirmish anyways.

Yup, but a lot of the changes I made, I'm not sure a lot of the other beta players would've liked... I really messed with weapon properties and took them rather far from TT iterations.

#68 Stinger554

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 383 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 04:36 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 28 February 2018 - 03:13 PM, said:

Yup, but a lot of the changes I made, I'm not sure a lot of the other beta players would've liked... I really messed with weapon properties and took them rather far from TT iterations.

Just clarifying that it's indeed possible for modded multiplayer.

#69 Flitzomat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,108 posts
  • Location@ the bowling alley

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

View PostKotzi, on 28 February 2018 - 03:44 AM, said:

Its called Battletech for a reason.

As I said, now there is a BT-lore version available for the BT-lore enthusiasts.

View PostDavegt27, on 28 February 2018 - 03:49 AM, said:

flitz I need to know more about your back ground to see where your coming from

like a young gamer is going to have I different view point then an old PVE gamer

what was your favorite game ever?

I have my doubts about the game and would hate to waste money on it

My favorite game ever? Must be MWO. But I have no connecion to the lore or the franchise whatsoever and personally think the MWO universe is pretty boring. So playing 6 years of MWO did not give me the tiniest bit of interest to explore the lore (although PGI is doing so much about the lore, just look at this awsome website containing so much informationPosted Image)
Round based has nothing to do with a shooter. For me it doesn´t even have any resemblance with a strategy game (which I thought it would have) Maybe I just have no clue but for round based gaming with dicing hits (so basically a TT game on a computer) I don´t see any form of skill required whatsoever. All you do is clickedy-click and shifting figures on the map. There is no action as in "Action" you have in a PvP

I will maybe use it as offline alternative when traveling to play a little campaign...

Edited by Flitzomat, 01 March 2018 - 12:58 AM.

#70 visionGT4

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 313 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:20 AM

View PostFlitzomat, on 01 March 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

I don´t see any form of skill required whatsoever. All you do is clickedy-click and shifting figures on the map. There is no action as in "Action" you have in a PvP

Different type of skill.

Turn based is about planning, risk mitigation and decision making. FPS is map awareness, reflex & hand-eye coordination.

#71 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:13 PM

How can you tell if your pre-order is locked in?
I remember throwing down a good amount of $$$ for backer status...just don't remember the deets anymore.

#72 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:25 PM

edit, nevermind, found the answer earlier in the thread

#73 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 01 March 2018 - 12:28 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 28 February 2018 - 01:35 PM, said:

Completely different game style though. Plus how many PvE holdouts are honestly still playin MWO?

Oh still a few of us I reckon.

#74 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:38 AM

View PostGradnuko, on 28 February 2018 - 03:42 AM, said:

Preorders are the worst thing that ever happened to gaming. Stop it. You're why they keep making bad games.

I just love these comments.. You do realize that pre-order for games has been around since the 80's right? guess not a single good game has ever come out?

Not to mention some great games that only were made because of pre-order and kickstarter.. Wasteland 2 comes to mind as my fav but there are tons more. So so games flop, or don't live up to hype.. Move on.

I dunno when i'lll buy my copy, still kicking myself for not having the funds when it was 25 bucks, i should of scrounged more! I'll probably wait till steam summer sale and see if it ends up in a paradox bundle.. Come on pardaox, don't fail me, bundle with surviving mars!!!! :)

#75 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 02 March 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

I just love these comments.. You do realize that pre-order for games has been around since the 80's right? guess not a single good game has ever come out?

In the eighties, game scarcity was a thing. So was shipping and stocking.

In today's world, a pre-orders sole purpose is to get your money before you can know better. That's it.

Edited by Bombast, 02 March 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#76 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

In the 80s games weren't forced to have loot boxes, always online for single player content, dlcs, season passes, drm, or pay-to-save-konami. You just just needed one copy of the game and all your friends could use it. Co-op was local and there was lans and beer and sex. You could also just go to the arcade and bum around getting free games.

#77 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:02 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 March 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

In the 80s games weren't forced to have loot boxes, always online for single player content, dlcs, season passes, drm, or pay-to-save-konami. You just just needed one copy of the game and all your friends could use it. Co-op was local and there was lans and beer and sex. You could also just go to the arcade and bum around getting free games.

To be fair Jedi, they did have DLC, but rather than the D standing for "Down" it stood for "disk"... we had these things called expansion packs....

#78 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:16 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 March 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

Id gladly take all of that to be gaming today. 1k's of incredible games.. and i can go back and play every great game made from that point on for the most part. (some i can't sadly because of compatibility issues, but that is why i have a win 2k system to game on. Others you can't find unless you can find a copy on e-bay.)

the amount of games you can play for free is also staggering.. and getting older games for free too. In the past few years, Dragon age, the witcher, sims2, starcraft, asssines creed, splinter cell, and about 20 others i can't name off the top of my head have all been added to my digital library from gog and Origin all for just having an account.

I also pick up tons of games for 2-5 dollars, and far better than any bargain bin of Hope, which is basically games that didn't sell well in the first place. Now i get top indy games or older AAA games for peanuts in sales.. Even better are the new games made like old classics with modern tech blowing away the old games because of GUI improvements and pathing alone. A game like "Stardew Valley" which you can grab for 15 bucks is amazing, or a free game like "Heroine's Quest" which has a great story and puzzles, and RPG system, with the classic cheesy simple combat but it works. In the days of old, this game would of cost me 40-50 bucks.. Instead you can DL it for free in all it's classic 16 bit pixel glory.

I got a stack of boxes of great games from the 90's in my "BOX Collection" every single one of them has a 50 dollar sticker on them. I haven't paid 50 bucks for a game in 6+ years since i moved over to buying digital.. Unless you add up all the DLC i picked up for CKII, which is about 50 bucks now, maybe 60 and that was over 5 years time. Just picked up mass effect Andromeda for 20 a few months back and i am greatly enjoying it. 20 bucks is typically my ceiling on games these days. In the old days you often did not even have that option. A game could sell out and then when those copies were gone, you were SOL.

Yea, i'll take these days over any of the so called past glory.. Because if i don't like a price, i can easily wait.. Some games i waited 8+ years to buy and that was fine by me. Just bought Starcraft II last winter, which was why i didn't grab the BT kickstarter package for 25 bucks.. my bad, but ohh well. Finally grabbed the Mass effect III DLC for 24 bucks the other day and now i have about 20 hours of quests to experience when i replay 2 and 3 (I choose that over buying BT for the time being) All i know is my dollar goes so much farther these days with watching sales, and waiting. I rarely buy a game now a days that i don't at least get my monies worth.

BT i know i'll like. it is just a mater of me fitting it into my budget, and honestly with summer coming i may just wait till fall anyway. My extra cash is going to beach trips!

I know i went completely off topic which was, we don't get good games because people per-order conspiracy is just so funny to me. We get the games they make, and most games are patched after launch anyway. Some you will like, and some you won't pre-order doesn't change that IMO.

Edited by JC Daxion, 02 March 2018 - 12:30 PM.

#79 Storming Angel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 193 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:19 PM

To the guy above stop supporting shite business practices.

On topic: the game looks alright i guess, but as someone mentioned before the mechwarrior universe has never been that interesting in general, just seems like a mess half the time, also not many games show off the universe in an in-depth way. And build upon that.

Im not buying the game beforehand no matter how good it is. I mean dow3 was a colossal failure and aoe4 will probably go the same way.

Not to mention the lazy shittyness of metal gear survive. (What a joke)

#80 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:34 PM

I stopped preordering anything since I was burned by Rome 2. At the very least I wait for release to get an idea if the technical executiin is good (ie that it's not a bug ridden mess or have bad performance issues). Also having a big backlog of unplayed games makes it easier to wait for a sale.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users