111 replies to this topic

#81 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:20 PM

View Postfat4eyes, on 02 March 2018 - 02:34 PM, said:

I stopped preordering anything since I was burned by Rome 2. At the very least I wait for release to get an idea if the technical executiin is good (ie that it's not a bug ridden mess or have bad performance issues). Also having a big backlog of unplayed games makes it easier to wait for a sale.

That's fine, do what makes you happy. If i had a larger gaming budget i would happily buy many games earlier or even pre-order. At this point in my life i am pretty sure i know what i am going to like and what i'm not. The games i take risks on are 2-5 dollar sale games. Games i buy early are either very small indy games that could use the money. . Or i have played many from that dev before.

I also played a couple MMO's from 2003-2011 so that sucked up much of my gaming budget, which made me miss a ton of games so lucky me, steam sales let me catch up on great games like.. Mass effect series or Bioshock, and alan wake ect.

this is a short list of all games i was on the pre-order must have bandwagon, but that darn budget made me make choices so these ended up being games i waited on. War for the overworld, Wasteland 2, Divinity original sin, Pillars of eternity, Life is strange after the storm, Civ VI, Gal Civ III.. All turned out to be excellent games for me though a couple still are on the will list but hey, more than enough vids to watch to know that will be the case.

But as always i thank all those that pre-order and buy at full price so those that don't, eventually end up getting great games.. Even if they don't start out that way. I think back at Baldur's gate before the expansion was released and what a buggy mess that game was and down right broken. But after the expansion for 20 bucks, and a fan patch that took a few years to make the game is one of the greatest RPG's at all time. I know i pre-ordered BGII because of it and that one again launched with tons of bugs and broken things.. But working with other fans the Baldurdash patch was made. *(no i didn't make it, i just bug hunted and sent game saves with things i found and was even the first to find a bunch of the bugs, yea me i guess?) Now BG and BGII are talked about as one of the finest group RPG's ever made. But try playing them with out patches, Good luck! the first witcher was another that was a total mess out the door, but thankfully people bought it anyway and they kept working on it and it turned into the enhanced edition and then into one of the best fantasy trilogies ever made.

I know what i like, and rarely have bought a game i thought was a flop. Perhaps learn what you really like than what is hyped and you can do better at picking ahead of time. and be happy others do buy earlier and put their faith in companies. I would hate to see what the gaming landscape looked like if everyone waited 8 years to buy a game for 5 bucks.

#82 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:22 PM

also for you mech junkies, the makers of FTL just release Into the Breach a retro-esque mech strat game against alien beasties.

#83 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:24 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 02 March 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

also for you mech junkies, the makers of FTL just release Into the Breach a retro-esque mech strat game against alien beasties.

Yea i saw that.. i actually just picked up FTL in the black Friday sale for 2.50.. though haven't got around to playing it. It's one of those games i just heard great things about and figured for a couple bucks why not. The new one does seam interesting though.. but i should probably play FTL first seeing i bought it lol

#84 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:28 PM

I stopped preordering anything since I was burned by Rome 2.

Rome 2 is very decent game at this point of time. You absolutely must try it. One of the best Total Wars for me, i'm a big fan, played since Shogun 1.
But i agree, Total War games now playable at least after a year. Not even because of technical side, but content.

Also having a big backlog of unplayed games makes it easier to wait for a sale.

Yeah, same story Posted Image
However i honestly believe HBS deserves players' support. Just imagine what creators of Battletech franchise and MechCommander games can do "in success".

#85 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:38 AM

I stopped preordering anything since I was burned by Rome 2. At the very least I wait for release to get an idea if the technical executiin is good (ie that it's not a bug ridden mess or have bad performance issues). Also having a big backlog of unplayed games makes it easier to wait for a sale.

I get this but this particular developer has a pretty consistent track record so far.

They've mostly been a little technically twitchy and not looked that good but been ultra solid games that present the setting well. If that's all we get from a proper Battletech game then I will be satisfied.

#86 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 10:57 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 02 March 2018 - 04:22 PM, said:

FTL seems too outdated graphically and there is more and better competition in Mech games IMO.

#87 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:43 AM

New video:

#88 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:15 AM

Backed a Long time ago

Most importantly Harebrained already made games before BT , successful too
Unlikely to be empty promises, and considering who sits at the wheel there it was unlikely it would be a disaster BT wise (if anything I would've liked a more Mech Commander style better, but I take it)

Also
Cough* cough*

Because I like the mech design :D
And the destructable terrain n stuff

Edited by Peter2k, 15 March 2018 - 04:21 AM.

#89 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:17 AM

Death From Above. Melee without dragon bowling. Decisions that affect the game.

Been playing since the earliest beta and am seriously looking forward to the full release.

#90 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:49 AM

View PostFlitzomat, on 01 March 2018 - 12:51 AM, said:

My favorite game ever? Must be MWO. But I have no connecion to the lore or the franchise whatsoever and personally think the MWO universe is pretty boring.
[...]

If you are using MWO as your only connection to the lore, this is not surprising. As you mentioned later in your post, MWO has no lore included.

#91 Fox the Apprentice

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:52 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 02 March 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

In the 80s games weren't forced to have loot boxes, always online for single player content, dlcs, season passes, drm, or pay-to-save-konami.
[...]

Battletech has none of these.

#92 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

The sad truth of it for me is, i Pre-Ordered the Solaris Mech pack because i felt like supporting PGI's efforts with Solaris. However if HBS Battletech drops at the same time as my pre-ordered Solaris mechs that wont be enough to make me want to log on to MWO.

I really do think it will be a ghost town for a while here, not out of any malice just competition for the players that are here for love of Battletech Universe.

#93 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

Shouldnt be a competition exactly, just a nice variation. If one gets tired of MWO, try out Battletech for a while. If you want to go back into a single mech as a pilot, go MWO and MW5 when it comes around.
Variation is spice of life. If anything, more Battletech ( as in the franchise ) based games could only strenghten the awareness of the I.P and bring both new and old players, gamers and tabletoppers closer together.

#94 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

View PostPeter2k, on 15 March 2018 - 04:15 AM, said:

Backed a Long time ago

Most importantly Harebrained already made games before BT , successful too
Unlikely to be empty promises, and considering who sits at the wheel there it was unlikely it would be a disaster BT wise (if anything I would've liked a more Mech Commander style better, but I take it)

Also
Cough* cough*

Because I like the mech design :D
And the destructable terrain n stuff

Is that game set in the Scythe universe? My board game group forces me to play it. Frankly the combat mechanics kind of suck. The art is good though as well quality of miniatures.

#95 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

Actually looks like it could have a lot of promise, im going to check steam reviews and watch some stuff after the game has been out and make a decision then.

View PostFox the Apprentice, on 15 March 2018 - 09:49 AM, said:

If you are using MWO as your only connection to the lore, this is not surprising. As you mentioned later in your post, MWO has no lore included.

Very true. I felt sort of the same as that guy until I started peaking at sarna and began to realise just how expansive the lore is and..and... f***ing spaceships and space battle stations yeaaaa!

Edited by HGAK47, 15 March 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#96 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 11:47 AM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 03 March 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Rome 2 is very decent game at this point of time. You absolutely must try it. One of the best Total Wars for me, i'm a big fan, played since Shogun 1.
But i agree, Total War games now playable at least after a year. Not even because of technical side, but content.

I have actually tried it a few weeks ago, still didn't like it. The UI changes in battle mode (with that silly unlocked group being the default when grouping) and soldiers not chasing routing enemies by default and just standing around while their comrades are getting killed 2 feet away really get to me. Attila is better, but I just can't get into that time period. It just isn't as glamorous as the rise of Rome.

View PostSigmar Sich, on 03 March 2018 - 06:28 PM, said:

Yeah, same story Posted Image
However i honestly believe HBS deserves players' support. Just imagine what creators of Battletech franchise and MechCommander games can do "in success".

Yeah I agree, I've been sucked into Shadowrun Dragonfall just last week. Those guys can write a damn good story. But we game on PCs, and very few game companies can fully test out their game on every possible configuration. I'd rather wait and see how the technicals shake out after release before buying in. Also, at this late stage, I doubt that the preorder money they get will affect development in any way. It's probably more of a publisher target than anything else. I like Paradox and all, but they have their Stelaris/CK2/EU4 money from me. They're doing fine.

Edited by fat4eyes, 15 March 2018 - 11:50 AM.

#97 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:31 PM

best games with most Tactical sense was turn based from cheese to Xcom...front Mission ...Battletech...Space hulk ...GalCiv2...Panzer General ..Adv.Military Commander...RTS was mor hyperactive clickorgies with more fast tactical reaction as Long Strategic planning

#98 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 March 2018 - 12:52 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 15 March 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Is that game set in the Scythe universe? My board game group forces me to play it. Frankly the combat mechanics kind of suck. The art is good though as well quality of miniatures.

Mmm
Well Scythe is based on certain artwork, as is Iron Harvest (Jakub Rozalski)

Highly doubt that both share something beyond the artwork and lore

#99 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:38 AM

View Postfat4eyes, on 15 March 2018 - 11:47 AM, said:

I have actually tried it a few weeks ago, still didn't like it. The UI changes in battle mode (with that silly unlocked group being the default when grouping) and soldiers not chasing routing enemies by default and just standing around while their comrades are getting killed 2 feet away really get to me. Attila is better, but I just can't get into that time period. It just isn't as glamorous as the rise of Rome.

Get the Charlemagne expansion and plunder and pillage as the Vikings!

Better yet, play as the Saracens and force Europe to bow before Allah!!!

#100 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:29 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 28 February 2018 - 11:41 AM, said:

I don't pre-order anything. I don't care if it has goodies. Why am I giving them money for practically nothing of real value?

More over if its over $20 I wait for reviews, steam sales, GoG sales, or Humble Bundle. Save a lot of money and headache that way.

I think the Jacket, the baseball Cap, the key fob, the Wall banner have quite a bit of real value, myself.

The game will be solid and looks fun, we didn't get to test that part, though the amount of work Kiva and the artists have put in, is amazing, and I think people will get their monies worth.

The sand pit 4v4 battle were a lot of fun, even against that not very intelligent A.I. but in the full campaign, I'm sure many people will be glad of it's peculiarities. as losing a mech will be very bad.

As a Battletech game it's pretty good, you do feel 'involved' it's not just pushing tokens on a playing surface, and the character personalities vary from likeable, to please shut up, so very much like a Mech warrior forum ;)

Not everything is all roses coming into bloom though

Up until October, HBS had a pretty bang up version of a 3025 era game, what was different wasn't to drastic, and it felt good.

Then Paradox got involved.

From that moment a third party was involved you just knew the WarHammer and the Marauder were going to be sacrificed, due to the legal battle with HG, though it took months for HBS to finally admit they were scrubbed.

The replacements are well one was Definately not going to be in the game because it's not Cannon and the other isn't either, but now HBS have suddenly ignored the lore and done a 180 for one of the mechs. Plus hard point and crit slot inflation suddenly appeared along with the Atlas II.

For me, the creators of my favourite franchise of all time, changing things on a whim, or for populist gain, caused me to lose a great deal of respect for them, because if they changed things at the drop of a hat, (PGI's mech design rules are ironically far more lore accurate) why should anyone really care about the franchise.

The lore is what sets this out from being just another robot battle game, and for bits to be so casually ignored, or changed saddens me, which put a big dent in my enthusiasm for the new game.

I suppose at the end of the day how much of a fan for 3025 era is going to be how much you like this game, if your big for it, this is going to feel watered down, if not I think you'll be blown away by how good it is.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users