The Flea Is The March Mechpack?

118 replies to this topic

#81 MauttyKoray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:14 PM

View PostViktor Drake, on 01 March 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

What a waste. I really don't see anything here that can't already be accomplished with the Locust, in fact it looks like a Locust. Can't believe so many people have been wanting this where there are so many more interesting mechs we could have gotten instead.

Its funny, cause yes we wanted it, AND IT IS GLORIOUS.

#82 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 01 March 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

but why?

#83 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:32 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 01 March 2018 - 07:14 PM, said:

How many times will you run it before getting your face pushed in causes the nostalgia to wear off, then they're off to the moth balls so you can cape for the next lore antiquity?

Over/under 10 QP matches?

#84 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,086 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

I'm going all in for the flea. Already got seven locusts mastered. Soon I'll master the lct's twins. What? Real light pilots accept these challenges and thrills of how-long-til-one-hit-death and making assaults cry river of tears and light op threads. Without it the forum threads would be just nerf meta mech and nerf lrm threads.

#85 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 08:55 PM

The love for the Flea is entirely misplaced. The mech was NEVER common. The Wolf's Dragoons were the main users and holders of the production rights for decades.

The real life reason you see the Flea put forth is from the wholesale genocide of the entire light mech lineup from the unseen debacle of the mid 1990s. It was the visual stand in for the Locust. The Locust, Wasp and Stinger were produced by the tens of thousands and they were outright removed both in text and picture references for years in the official publications.

The Flea is a pretender to the crown rightfully worn by the Locust.

Edited by Spheroid, 01 March 2018 - 08:59 PM.

#86 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:08 PM

YESSSSS BOUT TIME! FLEA FOR YOUR LIVES HATERS THE FLEAS ARE COMING!

View PostViktor Drake, on 01 March 2018 - 01:49 PM, said:

What a waste. I really don't see anything here that can't already be accomplished with the Locust, in fact it looks like a Locust. Can't believe so many people have been wanting this where there are so many more interesting mechs we could have gotten instead.

View PostFupDup, on 01 March 2018 - 02:04 PM, said:

They must really be running out of ideas if they want to re-release the Locust.

the flea is far more different than the locust. Its slower but has masc and its more standard engine friendly so it can brawl and survive better. Not to mention its built with mg flamer combo in mind where as the locust is more of a hit and run with energy and missile attacker.

also alot of haters in this thread already. relax more mechs are good, and its bout time we got the flea i mean its concept art has been here since day 1.

Edited by Variant1, 01 March 2018 - 09:19 PM.

#87 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,062 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:14 PM

Light MASC is garbage. At those weights you can get lot more engine for the equivalent MASC equipment, something entirely impossible on say an Executioner. Any mech with a higher stock engine is already going to give better default agility, so it is lose-lose.

Be realistic.

Edited by Spheroid, 01 March 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#88 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 01 March 2018 - 09:27 PM

View PostBombast, on 01 March 2018 - 01:46 PM, said:

https://mwomercs.com/flea

Posted Image

I can't believe it.

**** YES

#89 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:00 PM

I get the feeling they got a little behind and perhaps decided to pull out a near finished Flea model. >>

#90 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 01 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 01 March 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

I get the feeling they got a little behind and perhaps decided to pull out a near finished Flea model. >>

I've been waiting on the Flea for bloody years. I'LL TAKE IT.

#91 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 01 March 2018 - 11:24 PM

View PostVariant1, on 01 March 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

YESSSSS BOUT TIME! FLEA FOR YOUR LIVES HATERS THE FLEAS ARE COMING!

the flea is far more different than the locust. Its slower but has masc and its more standard engine friendly so it can brawl and survive better. Not to mention its built with mg flamer combo in mind where as the locust is more of a hit and run with energy and missile attacker.

also alot of haters in this thread already. relax more mechs are good, and its bout time we got the flea i mean its concept art has been here since day 1.

> 20 tons

> Standard-engine-friendly

Choose one...

#92 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 12:20 AM

View Postramp4ge, on 01 March 2018 - 06:26 PM, said:

Fixing broken mechs that people have already paid money for would be really nice too.

I'm looking at you, Nightstar.

And Osiris and Uziel and Hellspawn and Blanner etc etc etc...

#93 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:39 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 March 2018 - 09:14 PM, said:

Light MASC is garbage. At those weights you can get lot more engine for the equivalent MASC equipment, something entirely impossible on say an Executioner. Any mech with a higher stock engine is already going to give better default agility, so it is lose-lose.

Be realistic.

Didn't engine desync improve light MASCs? You could get faster engine with that ton or two but you get more higher temporary agility with masc?
Like I would think it's easier to stay behind assault mech with bit slower engine and masc than with just faster engine.

#94 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:43 AM

What other IS mechs use light MASC? In game i mean.

#95 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,621 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:45 AM

View PostSamial, on 02 March 2018 - 02:43 AM, said:

What other IS mechs use light MASC? In game i mean.

I'm pretty sure there is no mech in this game that uses MASC I , IS or Clan.

Edited by Curccu, 02 March 2018 - 02:48 AM.

#96 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

View PostCurccu, on 02 March 2018 - 02:45 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure there is no mech in this game that uses MASC I , IS or Clan.

Fair enough just wondered i know the Loyalty Cataphract uses a large MASC just thought i'd not seen light ones.

Plus IS Masc can be removed as well.

Edited by Samial, 02 March 2018 - 03:07 AM.

#97 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:22 AM

Warning - Don't get overexcited and preorder this based on the artwork!

Remember that PGI has consistently made a very poor 3D implementation of all the recent IS mechs.

Those high mount arms will probably end up at knee height once the modellers have messed it up.

It's also almost certainly going to end up significantly bigger than the Locust (which wasn't volumetrically rescaled) but has no ECM variants.

and for those on a c-bill budget remember you'll have to immediately replace the engines with XL ones, the heat sinks with doubles, and upgrade to ff armour, all of which will cost you several million for each one you want to field.

#98 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:32 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 01 March 2018 - 08:55 PM, said:

The love for the Flea is entirely misplaced. The mech was NEVER common. The Wolf's Dragoons were the main users and holders of the production rights for decades.

The real life reason you see the Flea put forth is from the wholesale genocide of the entire light mech lineup from the unseen debacle of the mid 1990s. It was the visual stand in for the Locust. The Locust, Wasp and Stinger were produced by the tens of thousands and they were outright removed both in text and picture references for years in the official publications.

The Flea is a pretender to the crown rightfully worn by the Locust.

Good points throughout.

The thing about the Flea is that it's a 20-tonner we can use. It was either that or the Hornet. Posted Image

The problem with 20-tonners in MWO has IMO always been, they only make sense when you have constraints on mech availability and economy. Even in tabletop BT, no-one would use 20-tonners for this mission profile (12-vs-12 kill-anything-that-moves on a small map) -- not when you have unlimited c-bills like we do.

Although interestingly the Locust has just about carved a niche for itself due to its advantage of small size (something not modelled in TT).

People are very excited about the Flea over at HBS Battletech forums (now at Paradox's site). In that game economy/availability IS a factor, and a small-engined cheap 20-tonner has a place. Also in HBS BT, you can use the Flea to recreate both the Stinger and Wasp mobility/armament profiles. There's no engine swapping in that game, so you need a 6/9 mover 20-tonner as a base to work with -- now we have one.

#99 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:40 AM

View Postjss78, on 02 March 2018 - 03:32 AM, said:

Although interestingly the Locust has just about carved a niche for itself due to its advantage of small size (something not modelled in TT).

Although size isn't a factor in TT, _speed_ is! and a locust can go very fast indeed

#100 RaptorRage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 133 posts
  • LocationLB-79

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

View PostDogstar, on 02 March 2018 - 03:22 AM, said:

It's also almost certainly going to end up significantly bigger than the Locust (which wasn't volumetrically rescaled) but has no ECM variants.

Pirate's Bane has ECM. Wouldn't be surprised if the Flea uses the same animations and rigging so the legs will probably be the same size while the torso is more narrow.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

• Facebook