Fp Shutting Down For 2 Weeks When Solaris Launches

150 replies to this topic

#61 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

I think I'm just gonna play Solaris till FP is back. Was gonna avoid but now I'm gonna invest in dual heavy gauss, flamer mechs and just run up, fire , shutdown opponent and headshot. Should be able to kill the mode in a week of enough people join me. It'll be awful but I'm being forced here. All of you should join me in this. Memorize cockpit hitboxes and expose Solaris for what it's destined to become over time. Just, you know, quicker.

#62 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:44 AM

View PostTerrorsdawn, on 03 March 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

I am finding it very hard to keep my comments from being filled with vulgar hateful comments so forgive me ahead of time.

I was going to purchase the Solaris pack because i wanted to support PGI for releasing new content. Heck I even posted on my units forum I was doing it and encouraged others to do so as well, even when most the mechs were just so so. I have not been dropping coin on MWO due to the lack of new content and various other development decisions they have been making.

I was all set to open the wallet till I Ilistened to the last pod cast. The moment Russ said he was shutting down FP, everything came to a screeching halt. Faction Play was the only thing that the last few active unit members of COMA would log in to do and with it shutting down for even a few weeks the final nail in the coffin will be hamered in. So the wallet will not be opened and I will make every effort to discourage anyone else from giving PGI one cent. This will also include not buying Mech Warrior 5. I will not invest in any product PGI offers till they finally deliver a Faction Play mode that is BALANCED, GIVES LOYALIST A REASON TO BE LOYAL, IS NOT DOMINATED AND CONTROLLED BY MERCS, ECT., ECT., ECT.

I find it a real shame how many people I have played MWO with are no longer playing it now. This product deserves far better then what PGI has done to it and I fear PGI will continue to just run it in to the ground. I 'll keep playing it for now but more to see how bad things continue to get and how low PGI can go.

Normally I can handle listening into the podcasts even when Russ has bad a few to many but with every slurred word spoken I found myself getting angrier and angrier. Hats off to Daeron he was the only one that kept things together. Sorry to Chris I can only imagine how hard it is to do your job. Sean Lang as always contributed nothing what so ever and is probably hurting the game more then anything with his comments and views.

*cough*
Posted Image
*cough*

Btw, they just had a update.

View Postccrider, on 03 March 2018 - 11:42 AM, said:

I think I'm just gonna play Solaris till FP is back. Was gonna avoid but now I'm gonna invest in dual heavy gauss, flamer mechs and just run up, fire , shutdown opponent and headshot. Should be able to kill the mode in a week of enough people join me. It'll be awful but I'm being forced here. All of you should join me in this. Memorize cockpit hitboxes and expose Solaris for what it's destined to become over time. Just, you know, quicker.

sounds like a plan

#63 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:21 PM

I just transcribed the entire FP conversation from the production update in another thread.

PGI needs to provide some clarification.

#64 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 03 March 2018 - 04:42 AM, said:

Didn’t Russ say “2-4 weeks” of shutdown? So if he goes through with this we would have to hope they keep it at 2. Sounded like they are worried matches won’t get made in FW...But man. this might be the most infuriating thing I have heard out of PGI so far. Even when they were initially refusing to remove Long Tom, we still had the mode to play.

So we could go for a full month or more with out FW?!?!?

Posted Image

#65 Stealthrider

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:54 PM

Quoting Russ' twitter:

Got a lot of tweets @ me about not wanting FP to come down at launch of Solaris. Our intention was just to not have FP struggle harder to fill its games, but I will strongly consider keeping the conflict running.

#66 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

Russ don't shut it down, if we are such a minority it won't impact the S7 launch.

If queue times suck, we'll live with it. Just like during every other QP challenge in the past 2 years...

#67 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:14 PM

I think the idea behind this shutdown: PGI want to attract new players with Solaris update, and don't want bad CW experience to discourage them from staying (and for new players it will be bad, even wait times make you wonder).
Also, PGI is obviously proud of Solaris, and want active players to try it too, removing other options. (well, they forgot to remove HBS BT game Posted Image )

But to be honest, in last couple of months i heard talks like "PGI should take CW offline for some time, and after they reopen it, more hype is generated". PGI often falls prey to bad feedback.

But i think this demo-version of twitter-storm will make Russ reconsider.

P.S. I so hope he was sincere about not giving up on CW. Without it MWO is just another senseless empty game waste of time.

#68 Terrorsdawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:22 PM

View PostGrus, on 03 March 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

*cough*
Posted Image
*cough*

Btw, they just had a update.

sounds like a plan

Yeah I tried MWLL, but the graphics give me motion sickness. Tried everything I could to fix that from happening no luck yet. MWLL does have some really good ideas that are well done and if PGI were as smart as they think they are, they could have "cough, cough" borrowed from what MWLL has produced. Sad part is PGI has clearly stated they will not go down that road in any way shape or form. Once again MWO=Most Wasted Opportunities.

Edited by Terrorsdawn, 03 March 2018 - 08:23 PM.

#69 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:49 PM

I swear the FP community, especially those who solely play FP, is the most dedicated player base in the MWO community. The majority of my friends list are filled with dedicated players who will not be offline for longer than a week. Think about how much money we put into their pockets when one of the hero mechs is a metamech e.g. IV4, Sleipnir, Black Widow, or when a newly released high-preforming mech that is still unavailable for CBills is available e.g. MCII. Pissing us off is going to put a dent in PGI's sales if were to boycott them for shutting down FP. Longer queue times due to the launch of Solaris? Hell I'll deal with that, just like everytime I wait for >30mins for a match on a midnight PST weekday.

Edited by Yondu the Ravager, 03 March 2018 - 08:54 PM.

#70 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:21 AM

Plan. Close fp to force dominant team playerbase to play the new setup.

Reality. Dominant team playerbase either quits playing all together or moves to the qp queue and continues the roflstomp/seal clubbing/"insert general overkill term here" that they have come to love.

Seriously.

This isnt gonna achieve anything as far as getting people to play the new mode.

Heck. Why don't you take away the Mechlab for fp/qp and just have it in solaris... Now there's a diamond idea for you...

it'll have about the same effect as the current plan is already having...

Edited by chewie, 04 March 2018 - 12:22 AM.

#71 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:22 AM

they need to shut it down for 2 weeks to readd longtom

#72 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:04 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 03 March 2018 - 04:58 PM, said:

Russ don't shut it down, if we are such a minority it won't impact the S7 launch.

If queue times suck, we'll live with it. Just like during every other QP challenge in the past 2 years...

Truth.

In all honesty, if wait times are longer in CW, so be it. I would rather face a longer wait to play the mode I am here to play then to have the only mode I am here to play taken away from me.

I am OK with not getting drops, if that is the case. I would rather have that then not even be able to drop at all.

View PostSigmar Sich, on 03 March 2018 - 06:14 PM, said:

I think the idea behind this shutdown: PGI want to attract new players with Solaris update, and don't want bad CW experience to discourage them from staying (and for new players it will be bad, even wait times make you wonder).

I understand the motivation and the reasoning behind it. 2-4 WEEKS is way to long. Unacceptably to long.

I would fully support a PAUSE on CW for a weekend, even a long weekend.

#73 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:37 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 04 March 2018 - 04:04 AM, said:

I understand the motivation and the reasoning behind it. 2-4 WEEKS is way to long. Unacceptably to long.

I would fully support a PAUSE on CW for a weekend, even a long weekend.

I do not support the CW shutdown. Only if introducing new phase with lots of features, but we are very far from it.
I just don't buy the official story, about concern about CW q times after Solaris.

P.S. And if my suspicions are correct, means PGI understand in full how bad is the state of CW, yet does nothing about it. Only tries to hide it, to not be embarrassed in front of guests.
But maybe i'm just paranoid.

#74 Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 364 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 04 March 2018 - 06:11 AM

What an idiotic idea. Who comes up with these at PGI? Russ? Does anyone at PGI tell him that these are bad ideas, or does everyone act like yes men around the office? WTF

Forcing players to play the mode you released just so you can pad the numbers and pat yourself on the back saying it's a successful launch is a BRILLIANT IDEA! GG

Break time.

Edited by Telemachus -Salt Wife Salt Life-, 04 March 2018 - 06:19 AM.

#75 Terrorsdawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 08:46 AM

Pretty sad really that it's at the point the people at PGI would rather shut down FP then deal with the obvious head ache of admitting they are clueless about how to fix it. Last one out of the office can turn off the servers, make sure Russ doesn't drive home drunk by pouring him into a cab and lock the doors.

I really believe if they shut it down for 2 weeks it will get stretched out to a month, then another 6 months with another promise that they are committed to still fixing it. Followed by a delay because some one in janitorial had a brain fart about how to fix it. Then no word about it because Mechcon is just around the corner and hey we all know party guy Russ loves to get his grove on at the CON.

Just to get something if it comes that we find just as flawed as what we have because of all the same excuses. Like we are small, it's the game ENGINE, we didn't want to restrict choices because that just annoys people and we would rather have people running all over getting no where when it messes up population balance.

Edited by Terrorsdawn, 04 March 2018 - 09:17 AM.

#76 Vectoron The Black Minister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 375 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:19 AM

View Postchewie, on 04 March 2018 - 12:21 AM, said:

Plan. Close fp to force dominant team playerbase to play the new setup.

Reality. Dominant team playerbase either quits playing all together or moves to the qp queue and continues the roflstomp/seal clubbing/"insert general overkill term here" that they have come to love.

Seriously.

This isnt gonna achieve anything as far as getting people to play the new mode.

Heck. Why don't you take away the Mechlab for fp/qp and just have it in solaris... Now there's a diamond idea for you...

it'll have about the same effect as the current plan is already having...

Chewie is correct about this shutdown not achieving anything.

I've heard tell that a few groups (which I will not name for privacy sake) are going to be boycotting Solaris if they shutdown FW for sake of forcing a play-test. Some players are just going to take a break during it. (There are probably a very high number of people thinking the same thing - but do not get on the forums to share their thoughts.)

Now for a personal remark here, unrelated to Chewie.

People are rightly upset as they feel PGI has failed to deliver on their main promise back in 2011 which was to make "Community Warfare" (now known as Faction Warfare) their main staple of gameplay. They are then outraged by hearing Russ's statement about practically pushing it off to the side for an indeterminate amount of time as they focus on things, that in our/their minds view as secondary, or even tertiary features such as the "Competitive Play Mode" and Solaris.

People are going to be extremely pissed, and lots of them. These people cannot exactly be blamed for their anger as it is founded. Their reactions could be more... civil. However, this is the internet - so that cannot be expected.

Of note: I'd say its true that we do shout or get mad faster than we offer help and or suggestion. I do believe that PGI at the very least does hear us, although they may not ALWAYS do what WE want them to do. Case in point, with the backlash over his statement regarding this shutdown - Russ is backing away from that... albeit slowly. https://twitter.com/...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor Remember, Russ is a twitter guy.

It's also true that we don't get together enough as a community to just talk amongst ourselves in Discords, or Teamspeaks or whatever. I think if we want FW to flourish - we gotta come together and not wait for podcasts to come around. Unit leaders should come together and share ideas in round tables... then sit down with PGI. We may not agree on everything - but if we tried I'm sure we could find common threads that could forward the game we love... then get back to slaughtering eachother later where it counts.

We have more power as a community than people are realizing.

TLDR;
  • People be mad, bros.
  • Certain promises didn't get delivered, and are seemingly being callously pushed aside for stuff a lot of bros dont care about, bros.
  • People are right to be mad, bros.
  • Opening discussion on how to fix things, and giving PGI's tired minds ideas on FW takes the same time as raging out, and flipping PGI the bird, bros.
  • Giving suggestions and discussing things civil-like is way cooler, and feels awesome, bros.
  • Channel that hate into productivity, bros.
  • Unit Leaders should come together and form a round-table where we can do our part and attempt to help with whatever we can to see our gamemode be awesome, bros.
  • Lets work together, bros.
  • Stay cool, bros.
  • Hope you enjoyed my cool story, bros.

#77 r4zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 309 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 12:36 PM

TL;DR of my feelings on this are:

I am perfectly willing (and even sort of looking forward) to try out Solaris when it releases. But a 1v1 or 2v2 mode would not keep me playing MWO for any significant amount of time. In fact, the only reason I've spent so much time and money on this game is because of faction play - the tiny bit more 'meaning' it has (tag planets), the community (hi guys & gals), the people I drop with in my unit and in other units. The teamwork aspect of being 'good' at the mode. The shifting strategy and tactics based on the flow of a FP drop, because of respawns. The crazy things you can do when you have 8-12 people on the same page (MS's crab rushes, mass LRM waves, etc.) that just aren't possible in something like group queue or solo queue.

These are things that are unique enough to FP that I am simply uninterested in a mode (as the primary thing I play) that doesn't include at least most of them.

I know I'm not alone, but I also know that regular FP players are at MOST 10% of the active MWO population. That being true though, makes me wonder why they would bother locking out FP...unless we ~10% are more active than the rest of the playerbase.

#78 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 04 March 2018 - 02:26 PM

Isn't this just part of the end of season?
We are about to have a month of Faction Play conflict to finish off this season.
The map gets reset.
Contracts being reset <- Wasn't this one of the big things that was needed to get a better gauge of the population and fix some of the contract issues?

After the last Tukayyid was there a shut down for a couple of weeks?
I can't remember.

So if there isn't a shut down and there are a few battles that occur in that time, if the next season is going to be different, won't that force a second reset of the map and make the purpose of those battles meaningless?

Does anyone actually like using 'Seasons'?
Would it work better if the war was continual and then we have some events along the way that might relate to lore and as a way to get some rewards and achievements?

#79 Terrorsdawn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostVectoron, on 04 March 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

Chewie is correct about this shutdown not achieving anything.

I've heard tell that a few groups (which I will not name for privacy sake) are going to be boycotting Solaris if they shutdown FW for sake of forcing a play-test. Some players are just going to take a break during it. (There are probably a very high number of people thinking the same thing - but do not get on the forums to share their thoughts.)

Now for a personal remark here, unrelated to Chewie.

People are rightly upset as they feel PGI has failed to deliver on their main promise back in 2011 which was to make "Community Warfare" (now known as Faction Warfare) their main staple of gameplay. They are then outraged by hearing Russ's statement about practically pushing it off to the side for an indeterminate amount of time as they focus on things, that in our/their minds view as secondary, or even tertiary features such as the "Competitive Play Mode" and Solaris.

People are going to be extremely pissed, and lots of them. These people cannot exactly be blamed for their anger as it is founded. Their reactions could be more... civil. However, this is the internet - so that cannot be expected.

Of note: I'd say its true that we do shout or get mad faster than we offer help and or suggestion. I do believe that PGI at the very least does hear us, although they may not ALWAYS do what WE want them to do. Case in point, with the backlash over his statement regarding this shutdown - Russ is backing away from that... albeit slowly. https://twitter.com/...7Ctwgr%5Eauthor Remember, Russ is a twitter guy.

It's also true that we don't get together enough as a community to just talk amongst ourselves in Discords, or Teamspeaks or whatever. I think if we want FW to flourish - we gotta come together and not wait for podcasts to come around. Unit leaders should come together and share ideas in round tables... then sit down with PGI. We may not agree on everything - but if we tried I'm sure we could find common threads that could forward the game we love... then get back to slaughtering eachother later where it counts.

We have more power as a community than people are realizing.

TLDR;
  • People be mad, bros.
  • Certain promises didn't get delivered, and are seemingly being callously pushed aside for stuff a lot of bros dont care about, bros.
  • People are right to be mad, bros.
  • Opening discussion on how to fix things, and giving PGI's tired minds ideas on FW takes the same time as raging out, and flipping PGI the bird, bros.
  • Giving suggestions and discussing things civil-like is way cooler, and feels awesome, bros.
  • Channel that hate into productivity, bros.
  • Unit Leaders should come together and form a round-table where we can do our part and attempt to help with whatever we can to see our gamemode be awesome, bros.
  • Lets work together, bros.
  • Stay cool, bros.
  • Hope you enjoyed my cool story, bros.

As much as I would like for things to work in the manner you describe, it just hasn't worked in the past.

A large number of posts have tried to assist PGI in the past with ideas and views. A large number of these said posts were done in a very polite and constructive fashion. Most received little to no notice from PGI and them saying they read it means beans if there is no response or action on the part of PGI.

Even when, we as a community throw a large amount of support behind a detailed review and break down of a possible direction PGI could go (Example: DANES and friends video) the response is treated more like damage control by PGI. Paul's response on twitch was nothing short of saying "you guys have no idea what needs to happen and we are going to continue moving the direction we want, at the snails pace we set.". Mean while the game continues a slow painful death as people leave and move to other games.

In the past the community has sat down together on several occasions, put together lists of issues and then even sat down with PGI to discuss them. They just don't get it. Until we get a chance to maybe use crayons to draw things out for them they do not seem to be able to grasp what is put before them.

So yeah a large number of us are MAD BRO. Yet here we are again trying everything in the tool box to try and get them to reconsider what they are doing, because we truly think it will hurt things more then help. The simple fact is we care a lot about this game and want it to survive hell even grow.

Edited by Terrorsdawn, 04 March 2018 - 09:37 PM.

#80 Vectoron The Black Minister

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 375 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

View PostTerrorsdawn, on 04 March 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

As much as I would like for things to work in the manner you describe, it just hasn't worked in the past.

A large number of posts have tried to assist PGI in the past with ideas and views. A large number of these said posts were done in a very polite and constructive fashion. Most received little to no notice from PGI and them saying they read it means beans if there is no response or action on the part of PGI.

Even when, we as a community throw a large amount of support behind a detailed review and break down of a possible direction PGI could go (Example: DANES and friends video) the response is treated more like damage control by PGI. Paul's response on twitch was nothing short of saying "you guys have no idea what needs to happen and we are going to continue moving the direction we want, at the snails pace we set.". Mean while the game continues a slow painful death as people leave and move to other games.

In the past the community has sat down together on several occasions, put together lists of issues and then even sat down with PGI to discuss them. They just don't get it. Until we get a chance to maybe use crayons to draw things out for them they do not seem to be able to grasp what is put before them.

So yeah a large number of us are MAD BRO. Yet here we are again trying everything in the tool box to try and get them to reconsider what they are doing, because we truly think it will hurt things more then help. The simple fact is we care a lot about this game and want it to survive hell even grow.

Like I said, everyone has a right to be, and is right to be mad.

The point I'm (trying to) make is, if we must get on the forums and say something about direction in general - it would be a much more productive and proactive use of our time to formulate ideas and suggestions on the subject matter.

Some like to believe PGI doesn't listen - but they do, just not all the time. Removing Long Toms is an example that readily comes to mind. Russ kept trying to keep it in, the community said NO borderline all at once. Russ took a step back and took it out.

Also, yes I agree with you and most of your post in general. Players here have been pretty decent here. I'm just trying to make sure people remember that we can still try to find solutions together. As difficult as it may seem.

Edited by Vectoron, 05 March 2018 - 09:08 AM.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users