Antilight Point Defense

56 replies to this topic

#1 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 10:49 PM

2 Slot Weapon. Weighs 2 tons for forward arc only, 3 tons for rearward arc only, 4 tons for full perimeter coverage. Can only be mounted in legs. Works like AMS or LAMS, but does a scaling damage from 40 meters increasing to 0 meters automatically to targets too short to see out of assault chassis cockpit glass. At 10 meters, does damage similar to 2 HMGS. Weapon requires at least one skill upgrade in seismic sensing to function. Requires a minimum of 50 ton chassis to equip. At maximum for 8 tons, installed in both legs, occupying 4 slots, a player is provided automatic point defense of 4 HMGS that will shoot at any sub-40 meter target detected by seismic sensors in a 360 degree arc, fired from knee height.

#2 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

This would just neuter lights even further. They already struggle to mount any sort of long range weaponry due to tonnage restrictions, meaning that short range devastation boating low tonnage weapons is the only way for them to compete with any of the other weight classes.

Assaults need a paper to their rock. Lights are the only thing stopping MWO from becoming assault warrior online - just like every previous mechwarrior game.

The answer for rearward protection against lights isn't a rearward facing weapon system. It's situational awareness and battlefield positioning.

#3 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:08 PM

Clan Lights need neutering.

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:35 PM

Streaks

You want Streaks

#5 OP8

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:44 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 02 March 2018 - 11:07 PM, said:

This would just neuter lights even further. They already struggle to mount any sort of long range weaponry due to tonnage restrictions, meaning that short range devastation boating low tonnage weapons is the only way for them to compete with any of the other weight classes.

Assaults need a paper to their rock. Lights are the only thing stopping MWO from becoming assault warrior online - just like every previous mechwarrior game.

The answer for rearward protection against lights isn't a rearward facing weapon system. It's situational awareness and battlefield positioning.

I think almost every line of this response is ignoring the mechanics and requirements of my suggestion. I also think it's oblivious to situations many pilots encounter when playing charlie lance on a QP team. As it stands right now, 4x100 ton mechs standing in a circle can barely defend themselves against 2 lights at point blank range, and it's not even a close fight; I see it happen often enough for a facepalm reaction. An assault sacrificing 8 tons, 4 slots of both legs, and a skill tree requirement for 4 HMGS worth of damage that only reaches out 40 meters; is still being GENEROUS to the lights in the current pool of real in game situations occurring lately. That's a huge cost for the heavy mech's gamble on usefulness, and only acts as a deterrent for certain lights, in certain formations, in certain matches.

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:50 PM

or they could just readd knockdowns to punish lights for facehugging you

#7 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:58 PM

View PostOP8, on 02 March 2018 - 11:44 PM, said:

I also think it's oblivious to situations many pilots encounter when playing charlie lance on a QP team. As it stands right now, 4x100 ton mechs standing in a circle can barely defend themselves against 2 lights at point blank range, and it's not even a close fight; I see it happen often enough for a facepalm reaction.

you're joking right?

most assault pilots worth their salt (hurhur) have no problems with lights. lights are the worst performing class in the game. like, by FAR. i don't even see it vaguely fathomable how 4 pilots in 4 assault mechs can't win 2 pilots in 2 light mechs if their skill levels are even remotely similar.

you know what light pilots do, right?

we find a target of opportunity and pounce. it's a bit like big game hunting. we die to a good alpha at any point in time. if you try to take away the light pilot's ability to strike at targets of opportunity, what are light pilots supposed to do? just run around capping in conquest?

this stinks of "i got schooled by someone better than me in a mech way worse than mine so i want what they did it with to be taken away".

you say it "only acts as a deterrent for certain lights, in certain formations, in certain matches." these certain things are the only things lights can do to contribute a COMPARABLE amount to a victory as a medium, heavy or assault.

what you're doing is akin to telling an MMA fighter that he's not allowed to kick or grapple when facing a boxer.

don't sugar coat it: you're setting the guy up to get crushed.

#8 roekenny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • 131 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:55 AM

Mandatory link due to excessive salt levels from an assault main.

How about you use that proposed 4 tons on your anti light crutch and invest in one of the following:
1 x s-srm 4 and a ton of ammo
4 x medium lasers
8x small lasers
4 x small pulses
2x med pulse
some mg's
seismic sensor

Use one of these and ditch that token small laser, don't dip below 60kph on your mech and stay with team (preferably front and center) and get back to us if you still have that light infestation in your crotch.

Edited by roekenny, 03 March 2018 - 12:57 AM.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:11 AM

if you cant handle the lights you dont belong in an assault. like you are in a robot that can one hit those squirrels into oblivion if you dont die first.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 March 2018 - 01:12 AM.

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:51 AM

Assaults do not need an auto-turret to deal with lights. They need better positioning, better driving, and competent teammates. I have been driving assaults quite a lot recently, after I finally "got gud" with them. Lights? Not much of an issue. Blast them with one volley and watch them disintegrate (Scorch is great for that with those arm-mounted dual LB20X), else back up to hard cover, get on comms, and call for help. Funny thing- every time I've gotten swarmed and eaten, I was either badly out of position, or the rest of the team was dead already. It just hasn't happened otherwise.

Nine times out of ten, you have made a serious tactical error if you are killed by a light 'Mech. Lights are opportunistic predators- they go for the easiest kills first. If you are their chosen target, it is because you look like food to them. Examine your tactics, figure out why you look so tasty... and then don't do that anymore. If you are getting left behind, reduce your weapon load and take a bigger engine. If you are unable to track the enemy because they're too fast, shift some firepower to your arms if you have them. Start carrying a UAV so that you can pop it when you call for help on comms (and do that too); teammates are more likely to shoot an enemy they can easily target. Always be aware of your surroundings, so that you can get your prodigious posterior to some hard cover quickly if a light starts chewing on you.

Do not look like food, and you will not be food. It really is that simple.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 01:56 AM

What we need is an acid gun to melt all that armor of Annihilators. ;)

#12 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:05 AM

M-PODs could stop lights humping assaults legs on the front, but would do nothing to compensate for lack of skill on the assault pilots side.

#13 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:07 AM

Epic idea!

Here's another one:
- a mechwarrior can cast Entangle spell once per match slowing any target by 40%. To compensate for this a new Spell Resistance nodes added to Operations skill tree granting 5% chance to resist the spell per node, up to maximum 35% chance.

#14 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 03 March 2018 - 01:11 AM, said:

if you cant handle the lights you dont belong in an assault. like you are in a robot that can one hit those squirrels into oblivion if you dont die first.

This exactly, I'm real tired of so many people trying to use assaults but they don't understand that its all about positioning. They always whine about lights, or NASCAR, or getting focus fired, or not being tanky, or not having enough firepower. Your armor's not impenetrable, but you have options for incredible firepower at the cost of speed. If you can't handle getting into good positions with assaults then stop using assaults and play a class where you can get into position, its in the best interest of you and your team.

Once you've gotten used to actually being in good positions rather than reactionary play or just following the herd then you can start doing it with slower and slower mechs. Also spend time working on your aim, a light mech should be no issue for an assault, especially one with arm weapons. A good position generally also has cover you can back into incase the light pilot is actually good.

#15 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

we all have an ability to get rid of light mechs in your crotch... use in game VOIP... or the command wheel for "help"... or dont let yourself get in that situation in the first place.

This is coming from someone who runs a COM-DK with glee. that is what its for, look for out of position and unsupported mechs and take them apart piece by piece.

#16 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:25 AM

better News can first Buying Assault Class Mechs after 300 Kills in all other classes.

#17 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:28 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 02 March 2018 - 11:35 PM, said:

Streaks

You want Streaks

And UAVs.

And hopefully teammates that pay attention.

#18 Trenchbird

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:49 AM

And in local news, Tier 1 player can't actually kill lights somehow. Sports at 11.

#19 Bulletsponge0

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:52 AM

View PostOP8, on 02 March 2018 - 11:44 PM, said:

I think almost every line of this response is ignoring the mechanics and requirements of my suggestion. I also think it's oblivious to situations many pilots encounter when playing charlie lance on a QP team. As it stands right now, 4x100 ton mechs standing in a circle can barely defend themselves against 2 lights at point blank range, and it's not even a close fight; I see it happen often enough for a facepalm reaction. An assault sacrificing 8 tons, 4 slots of both legs, and a skill tree requirement for 4 HMGS worth of damage that only reaches out 40 meters; is still being GENEROUS to the lights in the current pool of real in game situations occurring lately. That's a huge cost for the heavy mech's gamble on usefulness, and only acts as a deterrent for certain lights, in certain formations, in certain matches.

Wish I got to play against assault pilots with such bad aim

#20 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:58 AM

I already have an antilight point defense. When a light gets near me, my mech explodes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users