22 replies to this topic

#1 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:37 AM

Along with my older IS lights like the Jenner, Fire Starter, and Commando, I haven't really played my older IS mediums like the Hunchback, Shadow Hawk, or Kintaro in a really long time.
With the new tech, quirks, skills, and IS light engine, anyone have some good / fun builds they are using for these older mechs for quick play solo queue?

#2 Zookeeper Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBeer City USA

Posted 03 March 2018 - 09:46 AM

I still use XL engines in my ShadowHawks. The only one I run a LFE in is my Gray Death. That's because an XL doesn't fit with the AC20.

Generally if they were XL friendly before I still run an XL. If they weren't I upgraded from a standard to LFE. My Centurions all run LFEs now. I assume the same goes for Hunchbacks. I also like the Crab and Bushwackerer with LFEs over XL.

My favorite mech recently is only possible because of the new tech. I run my Yen-Lo-Wang with an AC20, Snub-nose PPC, and LFE 250. I was awful in this mech before.

#3 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 March 2018 - 10:59 AM

Thanks! That's a fun build. I am trying it with my Shadow Hawk Phoenix, LFE, AC / UAC20 and Snub PPC now. Different playing style than what I normally do, but giving life to a old mech that's been gathering digital dust for a while.

#4 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

I never played with OldTech, but my Hunchback is running 2x RAC5 with a std engine and 1 ER Medium laser.
Given its low maneuverability, I like this better than an AC 20.

#5 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:22 PM

I still run my Shadow Hawks with XL engines.

For the classic AC/20 Hunchback (or these days possibly an UAC/20), the LFE is a straight upgrade.

My only Kintaro (Golden Boy) I run with an XL. With that 'mech I tend to feel I need maximum tonnage to run that ... ludicrous array of missiles.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:36 PM

Just in general, I've traded regular MGs for LMGs, though on some mechs like my assaults I traded for heavy MGs.
Been trying other UACs and other LBXs to mixed success.

Limited use of LFE. For some reason it seems like STs go faster with the LFE than the XL; I know it isn't true but it is just that feeling you get, you know? Probably from the false sense of security it provides. All I know is sometimes I'd rather be dead than to be suddenly hit with the cooling, mobility and speed penalties. It can be really jarring.

#7 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:45 PM

I use an Hunchback 4G on my alt account with a LFE 250 and AC20. Can't remember how much ammo or heat sinks but it also has a few backup lasers too.

#8 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:30 PM

Not sure which Hunchbacks you own, but this HBK-4SP build is a solid light engine brawling build for the Hunchback 4SP.

Using the same 255LFE engine for a Shadowhawk, this SHD-5M build makes good use of the 5M's cooldown and jam chance quirks.

#9 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostRuccus, on 03 March 2018 - 04:30 PM, said:

Not sure which Hunchbacks you own, but this HBK-4SP build is a solid light engine brawling build for the Hunchback 4SP.

Using the same 255LFE engine for a Shadowhawk, this SHD-5M build makes good use of the 5M's cooldown and jam chance quirks.

Those look good.

#10 Tiger Shark

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 94 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Wow, that is a really fun Shadow Hawk build with 2 UAC5s. 630 damage first time out, just hung around the heavy and assaults.

#11 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

View PostTiger Shark, on 03 March 2018 - 05:43 PM, said:

Wow, that is a really fun Shadow Hawk build with 2 UAC5s. 630 damage first time out, just hung around the heavy and assaults.

Good to know as both of these may help me rejoin FP.

#12 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e26d97e206c3a50 is one 4SP build I use

Tried this as a possible improvement, so far liking the results:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...0557bc00fbbbda0

The 4SP version is slower, but harder to completely disable and arm-mounted MLs make it somewhat more capable at fighting in extremely close range. The 4J has substantially better heat management in my experience.

Edited by Horseman, 04 March 2018 - 01:26 PM.

#13 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 01:56 PM

View PostHorseman, on 04 March 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e26d97e206c3a50 is one 4SP build I use

Tried this as a possible improvement, so far liking the results:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...0557bc00fbbbda0

The 4SP version is slower, but harder to completely disable and arm-mounted MLs make it somewhat more capable at fighting in extremely close range. The 4J has substantially better heat management in my experience.

Both of those look to be to my liking.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 04 March 2018 - 01:57 PM.

#14 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:23 PM

VND-1X

The 1X has a huge missile cooldown quirk. So an MRM40 can take maximum advantage. With ER Mediums for pinpoint damage and LMGs for crit seeking, which also enjoys 30% rate of fire quirk. But you have to use LFE200 to make enough tonnage for all of it and even then 4 tons of ammo might not be enough. Can always downgrade to an MRM30 and drop a heatsink to upgrade to an LFE225.

#15 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 07 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 07 March 2018 - 01:23 PM, said:

VND-1X

The 1X has a huge missile cooldown quirk. So an MRM40 can take maximum advantage. With ER Mediums for pinpoint damage and LMGs for crit seeking, which also enjoys 30% rate of fire quirk. But you have to use LFE200 to make enough tonnage for all of it and even then 4 tons of ammo might not be enough. Can always downgrade to an MRM30 and drop a heatsink to upgrade to an LFE225.

I'm using this build with an XL225 and it work great, losing the CT it's the main cause of death, rarely loosing a side torso. It's one of my best mech for pugging.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 07 March 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#16 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:54 AM

I did this with my HBK-4P. I like it much better than the standard builds I used to use with this mech.
I did this with my BJ-2(L). I never really liked this mech, but it is much more playable this way for me.
I did this with my BJ-1X. Seems to work pretty well. Although XL was never a big deal in this one as half or more of your weapons were gone when you lost an ST anyway.
I did this with my SHD-2D. I liked this build with the STD engine, but the extra speed with the LXL is nice!

I have played around with other, but have found for the most part my Enforcers, Griffins and Wolverines don't seem to fit the LXL as easily and work better with the XL engine for me.

All of my Crabs I changed to LXL, as I only used STD engines in them before. If you used XL previously the down grade in speed may not make this worth while. Here is an example of how I changed my CRB-27B.

In addition to the LXL, I have started to us LFF armor a lot, as it usually can allow me to load and extra heat sink. Grant it I usually have to shave a little extra armor as well, but I have found it very useful.

#17 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:21 PM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 14 March 2018 - 08:54 AM, said:

I did this with my HBK-4P. I like it much better than the standard builds I used to use with this mech.
I did this with my BJ-2(L). I never really liked this mech, but it is much more playable this way for me.
I did this with my BJ-1X. Seems to work pretty well. Although XL was never a big deal in this one as half or more of your weapons were gone when you lost an ST anyway.
I did this with my SHD-2D. I liked this build with the STD engine, but the extra speed with the LXL is nice!

I have played around with other, but have found for the most part my Enforcers, Griffins and Wolverines don't seem to fit the LXL as easily and work better with the XL engine for me.

All of my Crabs I changed to LXL, as I only used STD engines in them before. If you used XL previously the down grade in speed may not make this worth while. Here is an example of how I changed my CRB-27B.

In addition to the LXL, I have started to us LFF armor a lot, as it usually can allow me to load and extra heat sink. Grant it I usually have to shave a little extra armor as well, but I have found it very useful.

Like your builds. I usually like AMS and at least a TC1 as part of the package.

#18 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:37 PM

Dual RAC5 will wreck face on almost anything, but I've really enjoyed it on my Bushwhacker High Roller. I have a Shadow Hawk Grey Death as well, but I haven't been playing it much. I enjoy my Clan 'Mechs much more than anything the IS has to offer these days. The Clan XL outperforms anything the IS can field, and it frustrates me that the IS still doesn't have anything better than the LE, especially when it's tonnage savings is still inferior.

#19 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:45 PM

View PostThroe, on 14 March 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

Dual RAC5 will wreck face on almost anything, but I've really enjoyed it on my Bushwhacker High Roller. I have a Shadow Hawk Grey Death as well, but I haven't been playing it much. I enjoy my Clan 'Mechs much more than anything the IS has to offer these days. The Clan XL outperforms anything the IS can field, and it frustrates me that the IS still doesn't have anything better than the LE, especially when it's tonnage savings is still inferior.

All you have said is true. The one saving grace of IS LFE is survivability. LFEs still are not nearly as good as a Clan XL.

Edited by Spare Parts Bin, 14 March 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#20 Bluefalcon13

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 355 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:47 AM

View PostThroe, on 14 March 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

View PostSpare Parts Bin, on 14 March 2018 - 04:45 PM, said:

All you have said is true. The one saving grace of IS LFE is survivability. LFEs still are not nearly as good as a Clan XL.

You both are right, to some degree. I don't swap an XL for an LFE. I swap out (mech depending) a STD for a LFE in my IS builds that ran a STD. All my lights still run XL engines. Most of my XL-friendly mediums also continue to run their XL engines, but things like the centurian, my St. Ives Blue (vindy I ran a STD 250 on), Hunchies all use LFEs cause they USED to use a STD.

LFEs are great in some mediums, more heavies, and basically ALL assaults. Any mech where you rocked a STD engine for reasons, a LFE has a home there unless it was a critical slot thing.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users