Mwo Just Killed My Graphics Card!

95 replies to this topic

#21 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM

MWO killed my brand new AMD card (which could easily support it with highest quality), back in 2013. I bought Nvidia afterwards, and there have been no issues. Bottom line is, I never bought AMD card again cause of MWO.

Edited by El Bandito, 14 March 2018 - 05:28 PM.

#22 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 14 March 2018 - 05:41 PM

Well, never had any gfx card by Gigabyte die. So far they last as long as the computer does for me. Can't say the same for EVGA, PNY, Sapphire, or MSI. Their cards all died before needing to be replaced.

#23 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 March 2018 - 03:42 PM, said:

i get gold psus almost exclusively and they still dont last more than 3 years. get grossly more psu than you need and they still dont last 3 years. especially troublesome if you are trying to shoot for the efficiency bucket.

my latest psu was a tiny 600w sfx psu, twice what i need based on adding up wattages. hasn't faltered yet. better than one of those atx behemoths they still sell these days. frees up a lot of space in my mini-itx cube. dusting gets more important as your case gets smaller.

What manufacturers have you been going with? I have yet to lose a PSU (not that it can't happen), but I tend to stick with Seasonic and Super Flower manufactured PSU's.

#24 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Generally one should not blame a single game for component failure. Anything that has a voltage regulator has a finite lifetime. I lost both my motherboard and video card in 2015. It’s unfortunate that you had this happen now though as gpus offer so little value in the current market.

#25 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

You waste too much time on maths and data thats why it died..

Not so sure it isn't this game my PC seems to take a hell of a hit when playing this far more than it ever should and way more than it did two years ago..

View PostLightfoot, on 14 March 2018 - 05:41 PM, said:

Well, never had any gfx card by Gigabyte die. So far they last as long as the computer does for me. Can't say the same for EVGA, PNY, Sapphire, or MSI. Their cards all died before needing to be replaced.

I had a Gigabyte card the fan died 6 months after i bought it.. Never bought another since. EVGA is some superior garbage though, my Asus seems ok so far.

Edited by Samial, 14 March 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#26 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,836 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:50 PM

View PostSpheroid, on 14 March 2018 - 07:03 PM, said:

Generally one should not blame a single game for component failure. Anything that has a voltage regulator has a finite lifetime. I lost both my motherboard and video card in 2015. It’s unfortunate that you had this happen now though as gpus offer so little value in the current market.

voltage regulators are pretty consistent (all being closed loop control systems and can handle a bit of degradation), its the filtering/buffering caps that die on you. you know the fat ones. you need to store enough energy between cycles of the switching regulator, if your psu cannot do that, power sags and things start acting weird.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 March 2018 - 07:58 PM.

#27 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,836 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

View PostVxheous, on 14 March 2018 - 06:25 PM, said:

What manufacturers have you been going with? I have yet to lose a PSU (not that it can't happen), but I tend to stick with Seasonic and Super Flower manufactured PSU's.

presumably bad ones. ive tried many but never have i had one good enough to inspire any kind of brand loyalty. current one is a corsair i think. its stable, for now.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 March 2018 - 08:01 PM.

#28 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:19 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

MWO killed my brand new AMD card (which could easily support it with highest quality), back in 2013. I bought Nvidia afterwards, and there have been no issues. Bottom line is, I never bought AMD card again cause of MWO.

Correlation doesn't mean causation. Since 2011 I've run MWO on a Radeon 4830, Radeon 6870, Radeon 7950, and Radeon RX480. All have run MWO fine. I've been buying graphics cards since 1998 (3dfx Voodoo Rush was my first) and none of the 15 or 16 cards from ATI/AMD, 3dfx, and nvidia have failed me.

Going by memory the only parts to have failed me in 20 years are an Abit VH6 motherboard (back in the 'bulging/leaking caps' fiasco of the early 2000s, though I was overclocking my Pentium III 700E so it's partially my fault), a cheap power supply, and some DDR2 memory.

#29 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 March 2018 - 08:01 PM, said:

presumably bad ones. ive tried many but never have i had one good enough to inspire any kind of brand loyalty. current one is a corsair i think. its stable, for now.

I haven't needed them in a while (I haven't bought a power supply in a few years) but JonnyGuru is an excellent site for power supply reviews. I recommend Seasonic power supplies, but Seasonic does make power supplies for other companies (I've got an Antec branded power supply that was made by Seasonic).

Any power supply that goes through a JonnyGuru review and comes out with good results should be worth looking at. Just be prepared to pay for quality and remember the power supply is what's supplying power to all those other expensive parts in your computer, so don't skimp on it.

#30 kilgor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 346 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 08:52 PM

I agree with the Seasonic Power supply. The 650W one I have has been going strong for over 6 years now. As for video cards, the Nvidia EVGA cards I had purchased over the years tended to go bad once within their warranty period. After they were replaced they usually worked fine. So far, this Gigabyte GTX 960 has held up well enough for me. It's lprobably doing better because I bought one of the few 4 GB models that were released. My first 3D card was the S3 Virge "Decelerator", but I eventually switched it up for a 3dfx Voodoo card.

#31 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:11 PM

View PostRuccus, on 14 March 2018 - 08:19 PM, said:

Correlation doesn't mean causation. Since 2011 I've run MWO on a Radeon 4830, Radeon 6870, Radeon 7950, and Radeon RX480. All have run MWO fine. I've been buying graphics cards since 1998 (3dfx Voodoo Rush was my first) and none of the 15 or 16 cards from ATI/AMD, 3dfx, and nvidia have failed me.

That could have been a coincidence, yes, but I know one other guy whose GPU failed on MWO, and he was also using AMD. Bottom line is, no more AMD for me due to MWO.

#32 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:28 PM

scary you people think it's even remote passable that software can damage yo hardware.

only think that remotely can have happen is that guy overclock his system for zero reason and damaged a component on his videocard.

#33 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:35 PM

View PostAbisha, on 14 March 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

scary you people think it's even remote passable that software can damage yo hardware.

only think that remotely can have happen is that guy overclock his system for zero reason and damaged a component on his videocard.

Terribly optimized and unstable software can absolutely shorten the lifespan of your hardware. smh.

It's almost like bitcoin mining and the things it does to rigs is a thing

#34 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:46 PM

View PostJackalBeast, on 14 March 2018 - 09:35 PM, said:

Terribly optimized and unstable software can absolutely shorten the lifespan of your hardware. smh.

It's almost like bitcoin mining and the things it does to rigs is a thing

like i say software cant damage your hardware what it do when it's not optimized is make your system works harder (more heat)
but stock heatsinks should be more then efficient enough to deal with it. (after all if software only make the components switch on or off which they do away with or without good or bad software)
it's the user that destroys their systems by unnecessary over-clocking, having crap PSU (which do real damage to components) or having just terrible harmonic on their power.

what your people claim a person can die by thinking.... ever see Eisenstein fallen dead or hawking's?.

#35 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:51 PM

While I feel pretty safe in stating MechWarrior Online has not and cannot damage a correctly operating graphics card and driver, there have been instances in which NVidia drivers have damaged cards. I recall one issue when the driver wouldn't properly cool the GPU in 3D application causing the card to overheat, but that was in 2010 (a quick google tells me it was the 196.75 driver that NVidia pulled in March 2010). That shouldn't sway anyone from buying an nvida card though; they do make good cards.

Initially FurMark was also a culprit for causing both AMD and NVidia graphics cards to crash because it was stressing one part of the GPU to the point of overheating, but both companies have since put in clock-throttling to prevent that from happening today.

#36 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,836 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:03 PM

im not totally convinced about this. you can use softwere to flash your bios and you can control overclocking settings at the system level. so its not a forgone conclusion that somone could do a hack to overclock your stuff way beyond sane levels in an attempt to burn it out. but for somone to go through the effort to first identify your hardware, engineer a hacked bios, and then do a remote access job to run the flash utility. they would only bother with something like this if and only if they had a specific high value target in mind. then you got the issue of why, in most cases replacing the hardware and restoring backups will render the whole attack moot (anyone you would want to attack would have contingencies in place). but i like to think that its theoretically possible. also its not like you cant exploit poor thermal design just running high end software. ive burned out several of my own laptops that way.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 March 2018 - 10:07 PM.

#37 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:16 PM

View PostAbisha, on 14 March 2018 - 09:46 PM, said:

like i say software cant damage your hardware what it do when it's not optimized is make your system works harder (more heat)
but stock heatsinks should be more then efficient enough to deal with it. (after all if software only make the components switch on or off which they do away with or without good or bad software)
it's the user that destroys their systems by unnecessary over-clocking, having crap PSU (which do real damage to components) or having just terrible harmonic on their power.

what your people claim a person can die by thinking.... ever see Eisenstein fallen dead or hawking's?.

OC'ing is a separate entity.
The human brain and pc components is not really comparable so I don't know why you went there lol.
more heat regardless of OC'ing or not shortens the life span of a computer component.

In short, yes if a software program generates (relatively) more heat, it will shorten the ideal lifespan of a processor/video card/ram. You could go further and say it will even shorten the lifespan of your case fan as they spin faster ;being limited to the total number of rotations possible before they cease.

ermergerd

View PostEl Bandito, on 14 March 2018 - 05:27 PM, said:

Fullstop.
You bought an AMD graphics card, that was your problem Posted Image

#38 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:24 PM

I am somewhat ashamed to admit this bought one of the major driving forces for building a new rig in fall of 2016 was this game. Before I ran it on my HP elitebook, which tho surprisingly versatile had a terrible time running this game. Should also note it had a AMD graphics card. A bout on MWO would leave the bottom of my laptop broiling hot. I still have that laptop as it was a workhorse.
So from personal experience, I can say that yes absolutely this game pushes some serious heat on components.

I'm not here for the OP, I'm here to criticize optimization or lack thereof.

#39 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,836 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:26 PM

gaming laptop is an oxymoron.

#40 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 14 March 2018 - 10:26 PM, said:

gaming laptop is an oxymoron.

Hence the conversion to a dedicated gaming desktop, but that is besides the point. The point was to illustrate the heat generated running this game versus say War Thunder, or Deus Ex or Skyrim etc.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users