Heavy Ppc? Love It Or Hate It?

36 replies to this topic

#1 WHITEHOT

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

I have a Warhammer with 2 Heavy PPC, 4 ER medium lasers and a LRM 15 and i haven't found a combo that worked that well for me since the SRM-MPL Zeus build. But what do you all think about HPPC since i never see anyone use it.

#2 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:02 PM

Heavy PPC is kinda worthless imo, way too heavy, can't hit under 90 meters, 15 damage and a huge cool down. I'd rather go three er mediums for the same damage, 3 tons weight, better range, better heat mitigation and can hit point blank.

Even a snub is better as its got less cool down and can hit under 90 meters for almost the same range.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:13 PM

Well good thing we have my opinion to give people some comparison from a 'T1 FP Farmer' as you coined me in a QP that I carried to a win :)

HPPC works exceptionally well on the GHP-5H. Best mech for it. Highly recommended people give it a shot.
2-3xJJ, 4-5ML as backup. With the heat gen and armour quirks on the mech it's a decent thing at 700m with the right skill maze and llow exposure / face time like lasers.

I use it a lot even on hot maps, works well. Issue is you have to know how to poptart (and aim) or you're not going to do well with it. It isn't as easy as say a Summoner but it's the best option for PPC use on the IS side for midrange over ERPPC which for IS is garbage

Edited by justcallme A S H, 15 March 2018 - 09:14 PM.

#4 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

when heavy ppc first came out a lot of guys were running them dual on a catpult k2 and swearing by it, personally i'd rather use that tonnage on a good ballistic, however what makes a heavy ppc better than a laser is the damage is fairly pinpoint, what makes it worse is it had velocity and not super fast like a er ppc but a bit slower.

Heat is an issue, for sustainable fire id rather have an ultra 5

As for the minimum range, most fights do actually take place at greater than 90m until right at the death, but you've already got med lasers to back it up so run with it and see how it goes. its a real second line option and since you already got an lrm thats really what your mech is angling at.

Ash is a fantastic pilot just above, his advice is gold

Edited by Laser Kiwi, 15 March 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#5 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 15 March 2018 - 10:10 PM

HPPC is only good on a few mechs, just like a lot of the new-tech... It's limited by these things where Clan Weapons can generally be used well on many mechs...

Everyone says don't judge a mech by it's quirks but sadly quirks are make or break for many IS mechs and if weapons are good or bad on them. Hence the GHP-5H is, IMO, the best mech for twin HPPC. K2 also not a bad choice however I've always found IS 65T mechs just to be lacking due to available tonnage. IS 70T mechs do everything better where 65T in Clan is fine due to cXL/cDHS etc.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 15 March 2018 - 10:11 PM.

#6 AgBaphomet

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

Heavy PPC brought my CTF-3L back to life.
2x HPPC 2x SPL, rest engine, armor and a big TC.
Works good.
Awesome 8Q is also good with HPPC and some MPLs.

#7 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:31 AM

With careful positioning minimal range is almost a non issue. Really just don't go alone on your own because with PPCs that's asking for shameful deaths, just stay with your team and someone will fire at any light that gets too close to you, meanwhile keep you PPFL on the big targets.

#8 Eisenhorne

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:40 AM

I have had no luck with heavy PPC's... If you have a WHM-6D you're much better off with a standard laser build like this:

https://mwo.smurfy-n...2d66bf10ba0f7d7

or

https://mwo.smurfy-n...ba6bc58f7794c98

#9 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:41 AM

It lost flavor after the cooldown nerf because 15 damage from 10 tons with a minimum range and a ton of heat was apparently too good at 4 seconds.

But I still take my heavy ppc awesome for a spin and its still fun. I think it's only viable on heavily ppc quirked mechs. But then the heavily quirked mechs have their own issues. Like being a walking barn in the case of the awesome.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:48 AM

I like HPPCs. Way more than other IS PPCs anyway.

I really, really like 2 HPPC and an AC10 on the Dragon Slayer. Even with an XL engine (350) the build just works.
I like them on my K2 as well.
I run a single on the high shoulder mount of the Grasshopper 5N with 6ML, and that oddly works as well, but the 5H is better with 2.
I was running 1 in the arm of a Grinner with (4ERSL in the chest) and had great luck until the new MG light meta arrived (Thing was too slow to avoid the hoards from closing and at that point the backups just don’t cut it).

Awesome with 3 and 4ML back up.
I had an extra Warhammer that I run 2 in the arms -because lorehole tendencies demanded I have at least one Warhammer with PPCs in the arms, so may as well go big.

#11 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 16 March 2018 - 09:53 AM

I like them. Yeah, the cooldown sucks, but they just wreck **** so good.

I use them in two canon builds: TDR-10M and CES-4S. I also have a Grinner using one.

The key thing is synergy. On my Thunderbolt, you're using the light PCC and heavy to keep fire going downfield. This makes the different cooldowns an asset, not a problem. On the Ceasar (using Cataphract 0XP chassis), the HPPC and gauss rifle put 30 points of pinpoint downrange with an okay deadside to shield.

#12 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:45 AM

I like the HPPC, with an AC-10, and 3 MLs on a Catapult K2 or Cataphract. HPPC is not a primary weapon but paired with an AC-10 it does well.

#13 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostTankasaurusrex, on 15 March 2018 - 06:30 PM, said:

I have a Warhammer with 2 Heavy PPC, 4 ER medium lasers and a LRM 15 and i haven't found a combo that worked that well for me since the SRM-MPL Zeus build. But what do you all think about HPPC since i never see anyone use it.

If that Whammy works well for you, keep at it, Tankasaurus, we have too many meta-followers anyway .
Kinda refreshing to see your loadout .

#14 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 16 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

Havent used HPPC that much. But should be better than when it was first introduced. Back then it got standard splash-all-over damage. Now it have pinpoint 15 points of damage inside the optimal range as far as i know.

#15 Ukos

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

its not a bad weapons system as long as you dont expect high damage numbers as its a bit of a precision beast, with the right mechs it can be great fun once you have gotten a feel for it, some weapons will work on any mech and most peoples hands but some only really start to shine on the right platform.

Overall yes it could be lighter and a bit cooler to run, but then you are encroaching on invalidating the ER PPC and the light Gauss, personally i would like to see an extension to the info sec element of the weapons, standard ppc getting to knock ecm off line for longer and maybe heavy ppc's being able to break targetting locks and or shutdown targeting computers for a few seconds in addition to their damage to make them more rearding to use other than just buffing damage / heat /weight ratios.

#16 FallGuy0815

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 11:53 AM

If you have enough slots and hardpoints, a regular+light ppc combination (with hardpoints close together) does the same damage, for the same heat and 1 second less cooldown, so ... meh.

I still appreciate the option if you have that single energy hardpoint or for example in the panther where the 1 slot less (of hppc vs. ppc+lppc) can really make or break the build. But i am not really a fan, i have to admit.

#17 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:24 PM

I've been running 2x HPPC, 4x ML on an ARC-T for a while - the left-right-punch feels nice but that's still not a build I'd bring to FP (low mounts). Also suffers from the usual problems of PPCs.

#18 Quandoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 220 posts

Posted 16 March 2018 - 12:29 PM

All PPCs are trash due to the house sized projectile which ends up in invisible walls :/
If you can do 500dmg with PPCs you can do 1000 with AC/lasers.

PPCs is all about hitting hard before you overheat - which is impossible in 60% of all situations.
Only viable use is in medium sized mechs with jumpjets. Assaults which are supposed to carry them lack the mobility to make full use. Peaking simply will not work and is a bad idea for slow mechs anyway.

Edited by Quandoo, 16 March 2018 - 12:32 PM.

#19 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:05 PM

View PostQuandoo, on 16 March 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

All PPCs are trash due to the house sized projectile which ends up in invisible walls :/

PPCs is all about hitting hard before you overheat - which is impossible in 60% of all situations.
Only viable use is in medium sized mechs with jumpjets. Assaults which are supposed to carry them lack the mobility to make full use. Peaking simply will not work and is a bad idea for slow mechs anyway.

Most of the above is true. Direwolves do benefit from using quad LBX-2 or CAC2 or UAC2 plus one or two ERPPCs. Allows reaching out and smacking someone on maps like Frozen City or Polar Highlands.

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 March 2018 - 05:16 PM

View PostQuandoo, on 16 March 2018 - 12:29 PM, said:

Aimed right the dmg from HPPC is BTR than lasers which can be twisted.

Issue is, you gotta be able to aim the same spits consistently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users