65 replies to this topic

#21 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:36 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 19 March 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

Actually with MG mechs you also need to consider kills, probably more so than damage alone. Case in point:

Spoiler

That would be 123.83 damage per kill, which in OP case is good for 2-3 kills. Way above an average Stackpole plot armor prize hunter.

If you're in an ECM light with MGs and lasers, if you're doing it right, you're popping side torsos, which gives you tons of bonus points from damage. Kills are not required imho.

#22 Sniper09121986

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:46 AM

View Postarcana75, on 19 March 2018 - 05:36 AM, said:

If you're in an ECM light with MGs and lasers, if you're doing it right, you're popping side torsos, which gives you tons of bonus points from damage. Kills are not required imho.

Generally yes, there are lots of ways to contribute in MWO without getting many kills, but massive damage in a light mech is kinda hard to come by. By the way, how is damage counted in this case? Say, if I blow off an arm first and then the ST, does that count for more than when I only do the ST and the arm is just lost along with it? Or does it count all the same? Do the components count if they are not critted separately but blown off with the entire section of the mech? Sorry if I am ignorant but I have simply never thought of this before.

#23 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:58 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 March 2018 - 12:22 AM, said:

Is you trollin'? Posted Image

Do you remember the days of "Elo Hell"? People complained that their gaming experience became crappier the higher they got.

Well, apparently, the tier system is like that as well. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 19 March 2018 - 08:58 AM.

#24 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 19 March 2018 - 09:51 AM

The past weekend was tough for many people. While the larger turn out of less experienced/"in shape" pilots for the event was a large contributing factor, the real culprit may be the low population player pool and the failure of the match maker to live up to the devs claims that it "learns" and makes better matches each week as it progresses. For every 12/11 nail biting match I had, I had far more 12/0,12/1, and 12/2 matches, the vast majority on the losing end. I started to notice certain names come up over and over with the heavy play; soon I could almost determine the match outcome based merely on players before the session started. Some names I found were almost exclussively on the other side (75-90% of the time) and I learned that our side was in for a drubbing. On the rare times they were on my side, we tended to win (not always: 75+%), but their scores were usually good, but not great. While I loved the close matches, win or lose ( heck, we lost a 12/10 match when our surviving 2 mechs just barely failed to stop the enemy resource count), the blowout matches were the same type of mismatching by MWO we have been suffering from the beginning, i.e. for years. This problem doesn't seem to occur with the same frequency when dropping with a group, even when as small as 2.

While I can understand random streaks of winning or losing, I cannot understand the streaks were certain players were matched on the same side. Having 2-4 players whose names and play are recognized as competitive level skills go against the other side were there may be one or no one I recognize doesn't make sense. This happens over and over with the matchmaker having some arcane programming where a pilot undergoes a prolonged losing streak and then, blam!, things switch around and you are on the side where winning is the norm for another long streak. This doesn't vary per session or even day, but each streak is days long in its persistence.

There is no question that a dynamic and charismatic pilot can inspire and direct his team to a victory; I've had many times where I witnessed that player take control and weld the team together. I, unfortunately, have neither the charisma or spark needed to herd the cats around the field; I just expect the pilots to know what to do for the most part. Despite my losses, my tier 1 bar keeps advanceing toward the right end, further proof that it appears to measure total matches played as one of its main metrics. Until the match maker does a better job and the player pool expands to allow for more fair player selection, I'm going to settle in and enjoy the game for what it offers, my win/loss or k/d ratio be damned.k

#25 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:12 AM

Stomps are normal

A dozen losses in a row is barely a blip in the statistics.

Edited by Dogstar, 19 March 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#26 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:26 AM

I don't play as much as I have in the past now. Just like OP says, losing too much lately is a bummer. I DO win some and yea lose some too, but losing is more than I care for if you compare to my past success.
Yeah I get the fact Matches are lopsided wins and losses, been on both sides. But with all the nerfing, buffing and what not, I'm getting bored of the constant changes to the point I don't play much as I used too. Besides, this game is not everything.

If PGI wants me to play more spend more, then STOP the Nerfing and Buffing. Just my opinion.

Edited by Christophe Ivanov, 19 March 2018 - 10:27 AM.

#27 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:32 AM

View PostDuncan Aravain, on 19 March 2018 - 09:51 AM, said:

The past weekend was tough for many people. While the larger turn out of less experienced/"in shape" pilots for the event was a large contributing factor, the real culprit may be the low population player pool and the failure of the match maker to live up to the devs claims that it "learns" and makes better matches each week as it progresses. For every 12/11 nail biting match I had, I had far more 12/0,12/1, and 12/2 matches, the vast majority on the losing end. I started to notice certain names come up over and over with the heavy play; soon I could almost determine the match outcome based merely on players before the session started. Some names I found were almost exclussively on the other side (75-90% of the time) and I learned that our side was in for a drubbing. On the rare times they were on my side, we tended to win (not always: 75+%), but their scores were usually good, but not great. While I loved the close matches, win or lose ( heck, we lost a 12/10 match when our surviving 2 mechs just barely failed to stop the enemy resource count), the blowout matches were the same type of mismatching by MWO we have been suffering from the beginning, i.e. for years. This problem doesn't seem to occur with the same frequency when dropping with a group, even when as small as 2.

While I can understand random streaks of winning or losing, I cannot understand the streaks were certain players were matched on the same side. Having 2-4 players whose names and play are recognized as competitive level skills go against the other side were there may be one or no one I recognize doesn't make sense. This happens over and over with the matchmaker having some arcane programming where a pilot undergoes a prolonged losing streak and then, blam!, things switch around and you are on the side where winning is the norm for another long streak. This doesn't vary per session or even day, but each streak is days long in its persistence.

There is no question that a dynamic and charismatic pilot can inspire and direct his team to a victory; I've had many times where I witnessed that player take control and weld the team together. I, unfortunately, have neither the charisma or spark needed to herd the cats around the field; I just expect the pilots to know what to do for the most part. Despite my losses, my tier 1 bar keeps advanceing toward the right end, further proof that it appears to measure total matches played as one of its main metrics. Until the match maker does a better job and the player pool expands to allow for more fair player selection, I'm going to settle in and enjoy the game for what it offers, my win/loss or k/d ratio be damned.k

This. 100% this and it's total ******** in some cases.

#28 Seranov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 529 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:56 AM

Losing a single mech early on can lead to your team to a loss very quickly. In this kind of game, where there are no respawns, someone dying immediately puts your team at a disadvantage, because now there is less friendly armor and weapons on your team, and it just snowballs from there.

A 12-2 game is in no way indicative that the whole losing team was bad, just that one or more mistakes were made on that team that ended up costing them heavily. Conversely, a 12-11 game isn't necessarily a particularly good game, either. It's entirely possible that both teams were just so inept that it came down to whoever derped the least in terms of who wins, or which team spent less time shooting anything they could see and focused fire even a little bit better.

Yeah, losing streaks suck, but all you can do is try to improve on your personal play and communicating with your team.

#29 Major Tomm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 131 posts
  • LocationWolf 359

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:08 PM

It's all a matter of how well you herd potatoes. You can't beat 12 mechs by yourself.

#30 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:20 PM

Losing streaks suck, but changing to one of your more optimized mechs usually breaks the c-c-c-c-com-combo.

#31 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

View PostShmoken, on 18 March 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

I played for over an hour this evening in Arctic Cheetah and Timberwolf. maybe 6 matches, and not a single win. Friday I played 2+hours before my first win. About 11 straight losses.

How is this even possible? Even if I am the worst MWO player of all time, I am only 1 of 12. Even AFK my team should win once in a while? I was tier 4 but this has happened so much lately that I've dropped to tier 3, and probably on my way to tier 2.

I hate to tell you this, but going from T4 -> T3 is actually progress in MWO. That's how bad the matchmaker is- unless you totally fail at MWO, you'll eventually end up in T1 with the rest of us.

#32 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:58 PM

View PostMystere, on 19 March 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

Do you remember the days of "Elo Hell"? People complained that their gaming experience became crappier the higher they got.

Well, apparently, the tier system is like that as well. Posted Image

Most likely their skill level couldn't catch up. Too bad PGI refuses to remove the upwards bias of the PSR system.

#33 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

If your Tier overestimates your skill, your W/L ratio will be <1 because that's how much the MM weighs you when assigning you to teams. If your Tier underestimates your skill, your W/L ratio will be >1. I pay PGI to perpetually underestimate my skill so I win more Posted Image

Edited by Nightbird, 19 March 2018 - 05:05 PM.

#34 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:04 PM

View PostSniper09121986, on 19 March 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

Generally yes, there are lots of ways to contribute in MWO without getting many kills, but massive damage in a light mech is kinda hard to come by. By the way, how is damage counted in this case? Say, if I blow off an arm first and then the ST, does that count for more than when I only do the ST and the arm is just lost along with it? Or does it count all the same? Do the components count if they are not critted separately but blown off with the entire section of the mech? Sorry if I am ignorant but I have simply never thought of this before.

If you pop a ST without touching the arm, the arm's total armour and structure is added to your damage stats. If you pop a ST from the rear, the front ST and arm armour and structure get added to your damage totals. That's what I understand. If you're in a light and sneaking up to assaults and popping their torsos, you can easily get 700-900 damage games from just 3-4 KMDDs.

#35 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:43 PM

I win far more often than I lose... Why?

I bring proper builds.
I focus fire mechs my teammates are shooting.
I use 'target spotted' often as I can.
I use comms to constantly remind my team that NASCAR = losses.
I pay attention to mini map
I torso twist

That's about all there is too having an above average impact on a game.

#36 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

Thanks everyone for your feedback. And no, this isn't a troll. I like the game and almost ALL of the players.

I feel better now that I know tier 3 is better than tier 4. Too much World of Tanks, World of Warships and Warthunder I guess! As for WoT, I too have had the 25 game losing streak and have the same complaint.

As for my abilities, I've been playing the stock load outs for the Cheetah and Kaiju and not liking them much. Also I've been trying to skill up all my new mechs, so I need to start taking that into account.

With the event on, I do see some terrible team work out there. Maybe switching weight class will get me with some new team mates.

At the end of the day, given what I know about statistics, how in the world do I lose so many in a row? Even weighted dice don't come up 7's 11 times in a row!

The only thing I can think of is that I don't play with a squad or with friends. That may mean that I am playing against teams that DO, and that's a big advantage for them. I used to play Warbirds as part of a squadron every Wednesday night. When we had 15 players in coordinated attacks we decimated the map. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

I got a lot of great tips to increase my skill thanks to your input.

Edited by Shmoken, 20 March 2018 - 07:30 PM.

#37 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 675 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:47 PM

i would advise against using stock loadouts, as nearly all of them are very bad or can be better optimized.

there are separate queues for group and solo play, so you shouldn't be running into any pre-made teams. however, that doesn't mean that the teams will always be evenly matched. the small player pool combined with flawed matchmaking mean that team balance is pretty much a total crapshoot.

Edited by cougurt, 20 March 2018 - 07:49 PM.

#38 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:48 PM

View PostShmoken, on 18 March 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

I played for over an hour this evening in Arctic Cheetah and Timberwolf. maybe 6 matches, and not a single win. Friday I played 2+hours before my first win. About 11 straight losses.

How is this even possible? Even if I am the worst MWO player of all time, I am only 1 of 12. Even AFK my team should win once in a while? I was tier 4 but this has happened so much lately that I've dropped to tier 3, and probably on my way to tier 2.

I am rarely the first to die, but I play very aggressively. I racked up over 300 dmg in the Arctic Cheetah twice tonight, and still lost, so I am not terrible - I do contribute.

I really like the game, but to lose sooooo much is seriously depressing.

<sigh>

Welcome to Tier 3 hell. I had been sitting in it for since implementation of PSR till past Christmas. I have screenshot, where I had no victory after whole day of playing this game. This screenshot is from old time, when I was playing more, than 2-3 matches a day.

#39 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:55 PM

View PostShmoken, on 20 March 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for your feedback. And no, this isn't a troll. I like the game and almost ALL of the players.

I feel better now that I know tier 3 is better than tier 4. Too much World of Tanks, World of Warships and Warthunder I guess! As for WoT, I too have had the 25 game losing streak and have the same complaint.

As for my abilities, I've been playing the stock load outs for the Cheetah and Kaiju and not liking them much. Also I've been trying to skill up all my new mechs, so I need to start taking that into account.

With the event on, I do see some terrible team work out there. Maybe switching weight class will get me with some new team mates.

At the end of the day, given what I know about statistics, how in the world do I lose so many in a row? Even weighted dice don't come up 7's 11 times in a row!

You are now easily stuffed into games with T1s as fodder, unfortunately. While it's somewhat diluted compared to when the MM started, it still can mean you're stuck in the same matches as world-champion level players at times.

#40 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:01 PM

I'd suggest to try not to worry too much about wins and losses so long as you are satisfied with your performance during the match. I just logged off from a short gaming session where I tried out the Roughneck hero for two matches and the Sun Spider hero for a match. I lost all three matches but I had some really good fights in all of them, getting at least one kill in each game.

The Roughneck hero is durable and I had an exciting time fighting for extended periods while trying to protect my remaining weapons and torso, at one point down to just a CT weapon before I was finished off getting in one last MRM10 volley. In my Sun Spider I got two brawling solo kills as me and a couple teammates swept around the flank of the enemy, but it wasn't enough and the enemy was able to pick apart the rest of the team.

If I performed well I don't worry too much about whether I won or lost; the other team just had more people who performed better. Conversely I also get disappointed if I don't perform well or do something stupid that gets me killed even if my team wins the match because they did it in spite of me, not because I helped. For those times I try to think about what I did wrong and try not to do it again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users