• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:38 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

From AU you should be 200ms or under.

Not quite true. I'm on TPG NBN, and my connection to the OCE server is literally just as good as my connection to NA; ~275 ping. Better than my connection to EU; but I still play on all three.

The problem was always routing for Australian players to the server; and PGI could never get that fixed. While it seems that I get direct routed to the NA or EU servers; OCE has a diversion out to somewhere it shouldn't go before it heads for Singapore, and that means increased ping. That's not PGI's fault, that's the fault of ISPs and the data center itself.

IF the game becomes "unplayable" for people in Asia; the logical next step would be a fourth server in South-East Asia; and marketed as such. Increases in ping typically don't result in too much loss of performance in accuracy; just requires adaptation in extreme circumstances.

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 20 March 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

Thanks for ruining this patch for me. Do you know how hard it is to play with constant 270 to 290 ping? At least when it was on singapore, there's one 63 ping.

YES. We DO know how hard it is to play with constant 270-290 ping on the server that was branded as being for our region.

Edited by Tarriss Halcyon, 20 March 2018 - 04:39 PM.

#22 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Well yeah... TPG lol. I know there are some outliers like that, but overall it shouldn't be 275ms to SEA man, that's horrid.

I'd be ringing TPG and telling them to fix it or take business elsewhere.

#23 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:42 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2018 - 04:21 PM, said:

From AU you should be 200ms or under.

I am 100-120ms from East Coast AU to SG. I am Telstra Cable, which has perfect routing.

That said when the SMW3 cable is broken, that is when pings jump back to 250ms for most people. I suspect this is the case again given pings last night were 250ms for the 3rd time in a year Posted Image

I will admit to not paying as much attention to it recently but my overall experience is to average 250 ping.
I'm with Optus which might explain the difference.
Have seen it around the 130 mark and have seen it over 300.

#24 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:43 PM

Thanks for ruining this patch for me. Do you know how hard it is to play with constant 270 to 290 ping? At least when it was on singapore, there's one 63 ping.

Given most AU players have that to US server and most games are on US server...

We all know?

Aaannnd... It ain't that bad at all. MWO really, is not "that" sensitive to ping. The weird stuff happens around 400ms in my experiences. Under that you can deal with it, I do, daily.

View Post50 50, on 20 March 2018 - 04:42 PM, said:

I will admit to not paying as much attention to it recently but my overall experience is to average 250 ping.
I'm with Optus which might explain the difference.
Have seen it around the 130 mark and have seen it over 300.

Is that when the cable to SEA is working or broken? When it's broken I am around 250ms, when it's working back to 100-120ms.

Problem is the under-sea cable out of the last 12 months, has been broken for some 6 months IIRC. So it's been rather, annoying.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 20 March 2018 - 04:45 PM.

#25 EvangelX

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 04:55 PM

eh, sarcasim?
yes some of know full well how indifferent a 250 ping is ~ its all in your head Posted Image

#26 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

View PostEvangelX, on 20 March 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

its all in your head Posted Image

No it's not, it's far harder to deal with lights cause my aim is always off.

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 20 March 2018 - 04:38 PM, said:

YES. We DO know how hard it is to play with constant 270-290 ping on the server that was branded as being for our region.

So lets just rename it as "ASIA", return the server at Singapore and call it a day, after all it's just branding issue right?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 20 March 2018 - 05:10 PM.

#27 ChillAAA

Rookie

• The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 05:59 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

Given most AU players have that to US server and most games are on US server...

We all know?

Aaannnd... It ain't that bad at all. MWO really, is not "that" sensitive to ping. The weird stuff happens around 400ms in my experiences. Under that you can deal with it, I do, daily.

Is that when the cable to SEA is working or broken? When it's broken I am around 250ms, when it's working back to 100-120ms.

Problem is the under-sea cable out of the last 12 months, has been broken for some 6 months IIRC. So it's been rather, annoying.

Agree on your original point about helping the whole region ASH.

The main issue I have is that Optus and TPG Group ISPs (which i've used both) dont adjust their routing preferences back in a timely fashion. When I was with Optus i had a 3 month period of inability to access East Coast US services during prime time.

The ping issue is further shown by SG based users on SingTel's network routing via US (which has already been well discussed already).

I made the mistake of signing with iiNet for my HFC NBN service (therefore TPG) and the preferences still haven't been shifted back to it even though it's been operational again for over a month. Going to the TIO soon to get out of my contract since iiNet are basically ignoring me. Off to Aussie Broadband i go!

#28 sleet01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 187 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:17 PM

Oceanic is just unplayable for me now. Used to be ~275 ping, now routinely exceeding 400.

#29 _mungus_

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:26 PM

Tried Oceanic briefly, had trouble getting a match. Ended up playing on NA servers just to get a couple games in.

Will try again tonight.

#30 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

Remembering that it is mid afternoon for Oceanic, around 2:30pm so many of the players down here are simply not on atm.
That said, getting a few matches at the moment and my ping seems to hover between 10 and 16.
Am seeing a lot of players with 300+

One guy in California getting a ping of low 200s to 180 to Oceanic.

Edited by 50 50, 20 March 2018 - 07:46 PM.

#31 Stealth 1S1K

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for ruining this patch for me. Do you know how hard it is to play with constant 270 to 290 ping?

Yes Almost Every Game. And we have all adjusted. I feel sorry for those who will be un used to such hassles that they have to try and adapt. Hell we Aussies have to do it for just about every game out there so welcome to our gaming experience.

#32 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:45 PM

View Post50 50, on 20 March 2018 - 07:29 PM, said:

Remembering that it is mid afternoon for Oceanic, around 2:30pm so many of the players down here are simply not on atm.
That said, getting a few matches at the moment and my ping seems to hover between 10 and 16.
Am seeing a lot of players with 300+

Problem is usually, even at this time. US Players would have it ticked. So you would get games on it (SEA server), not constantly of course but every few games.

With super high pings said players might be more reluctant to enable it moving forward. That's the risk with this move TBH, the US players that were selecting it, stop. Then the server rarely gets matches on it outside of Oceanic peak (4-5hrs a day) and SEA just plays on US servers.

Guessing PGI have numbers to suggest the numbers of players would offset this which would be a good thing if it happens and they get the OVH datacentre routing to S.E. Asia resolved for those players.

Just have to chill, play some games and see :)

#33 ZimVader

Rookie

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:25 PM

Awesome! cant wait to check it out, just patching now.

#34 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:28 PM

What the...

now asia player can no longer play mwo.

before : 80 ping in oceanic
now : 480 ping.

Great work!

#35 RedSonG

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:36 PM

Jeez... Do you have a problem with ppl in asia? the Oceanic server was the only server under 200 ping before.

Now, We have none. That's really a big big middle finger.

I didn't spend my money to see this mess. FIX IT!!!

#36 ZimVader

Rookie

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:44 PM

Wahoo my mech turns when i tell it to, not 3 seconds later!

#37 Pious Korren

Rookie

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 08:56 PM

Hello, I'm playing from Indonesia. Usually my ping to Oceanic server around 35 - 80 ms. After server relocation, it increase to 274 - 330 ms and I got rubber banding in every match.

The ping from Oceanic server almost same with ping from NA server which around 282 - 310 ms.

Edited by Pious Korren, 20 March 2018 - 08:57 PM.

#38 Maelware

• Pip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:12 PM

These Changes are great in Oceania as the Oceanic is now delivering on what is advertised. Though this is being done at the expense of part of the player base.

The issue with current server set up is two fold. The first is PGI are trying to squeeze too large a physical area into one server group. Thus meaning that regardless where the server is located part of the player base is going to suffer a seriously degraded playing experience. This limitation is not able to be worked around as the limiting factor is physical distance and until we are able to get a drastically faster global network this issue is going to remain. The other issue is the mislabelling of the server as Oceanic in the first place. It was never an oceanic server, it was an Asian server. As such Oceania players have a certain expectation that was never met due to the servers being outside of Oceania and a lot of the Asian players made this server their home and have been come accustomed to a certain level of quality of gameplay are now feeling the pain that the Oceania players have felt since launch.

The logical fix for this would be to bring the Singapore servers back up renamed Asia. while leaving the Oceania server based in AU. Though this is likely to not happen due to PGI wishing to maximise profits.

Edited by Maelware, 20 March 2018 - 09:17 PM.

#39 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 20 March 2018 - 04:08 PM, said:

Well you should dude.

S.E. Asia players are going from 20ms pings to 400ms+.
AU players are going from between 100ms-220ms down to around 20ms.

Overall a AU server is great from my stand point, having played a great number of games on it already. There is slight improvements/quality of life having 20ms vs 120-300ms I normally have (SEA / US servers)

However if my QoL is better at the detriment of the entire Asia community, and the datacentre cannot fix their routing, then it kinda needs to stay in SG as it is better for everyone. As a whole.

The issue is if its 400ms-500ns+ people will simply un-check the server. Doing this will mean there will be even less games on the Oceanic Server than there are currently. No one wins in this situation.

I'm with Ash on this one.

My thoughts, originally my oceanic ping was 190-230, now it 50ish in NZ, BUT if the indonesian crew and the other SEA players get 300-500 ping then i'm not for it, you've literally chosen an alternative that rather than disadvantaging me slightly disadvantages another group greatly. I mean i usually play NA, although i play on all three , anyway at 220 so i'm used to the ping shield :). I guess if it stays sydney side then we will see SEA players go to NA, in which case i'll end up on NA server anyway cause that's where the action is. (and the faction games will be NA anyway so......)

#40 TTimmy

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:19 PM

Ping is horrible for Oceanic now. PGI hates SEA players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users