#41 taalo

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 31 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationID

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:25 PM

I guess I'm not playing with my oceanic friends anymore. US on oceanic servers used to be 200 ping, but it's now 5-600. I primarily play with Aussies because of my time constraints. This is seriously affecting my ability to play.

#42 Laser Kiwi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • Leutnant-Colonel
  • 271 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

View PostEvangelX, on 20 March 2018 - 04:55 PM, said:

eh, sarcasim?
yes some of know full well how indifferent a 250 ping is ~ its all in your head Posted Image

Yeah, asking us how hard it is to play at high ping, well newsflash, Pretty much everyone in Australasia knows, and now people are saying its hard to target lights too? what? the reason i couldn't hit lights was my ping? holy **** i'm going to be an amazing player soon... actually it has no material impact on my performance, because i already play with servers up to 300+ ping when im on euro. And the light thing is universal hit reg issues rather than ping IMO

#43 Valkyrie73

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • The Cyber Warrior
  • 158 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:56 PM

Awesome news and about time. It should have been in Sydney in the first place!

#44 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:29 PM

View PostTTimmy, on 20 March 2018 - 09:19 PM, said:

Ping is horrible for Oceanic now. PGI hates SEA players.

No. Ping is only bad for the SEA region; not for the Oceanic region. And that's the problem; all PGI has done is given our ping issues to those in SEA. Who aren't used to bad ping; so there's going to be a lot of complaints from people who have never had to deal with 200+ ping on every server; and the ones who have had to put up with it since release aren't going to be able to get a word in edgewise to say thank you to PGI for remembering we exist.

I still say that the only real option that PGI has is giving SEA it's own server. MIght take some of the traffic away from OCE; but I'm fairly certain that us down under play at least Oceanic and NA anyway, if not all three.

#45 Your Father Really

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:30 PM

Hello Everyone,

I will start by saying from the perspective of a player that never gets a ping lower than 195, and this is the best I can get. No one should suffer, saying that there are many mech warriors where I am, but with the bad ping no matter what many will not play. If you drop, that response time is bad. I would like to ask PGI, after all these years please consider a server for South Africa. To add, do not let others suffer by creating more bad ping connections like ours. Let everyone enjoy a similar gaming experience, makes the playing field more equal.

#46 Tarriss Halcyon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 239 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

View PostYour Father Really, on 20 March 2018 - 10:30 PM, said:

Hello Everyone,

I will start by saying from the perspective of a player that never gets a ping lower than 195, and this is the best I can get. No one should suffer, saying that there are many mech warriors where I am, but with the bad ping no matter what many will not play. If you drop, that response time is bad. I would like to ask PGI, after all these years please consider a server for South Africa. To add, do not let others suffer by creating more bad ping connections like ours. Let everyone enjoy a similar gaming experience, makes the playing field more equal.

Host State Rewind is there to make the playing field more equal anyway. As somebody who had 200+ to every server; I feel sorry for you, but I can say that ping; unless it's beyond 300, doesn't really make much difference in my experience. Even with the current OCE server giving me 20 ping; the game played just as smoothly and registered my hits just as accurately as if I was playing on 270.

I don't mean to sound condescending or sarcastic about people's complaints; but come on. First time Australia gets recognized as a player base for this game, and everybody comes out of the woodwork to complain about the same kind of bad ping we've had since the game came out; because it feels like you'd rather give us the shaft as the Earth's forgotten lands.

Most of this ISN'T EVEN PGI'S FAULT. They chose to move the server; sure. But the real problem is your routing to that server. There's a lot of Australians who have a wide diversity of pings; with some getting below 200 to Oceanic beforehand, some getting well above (like myself), purely through having different ISPs. They route differently; information flows differently and has extra distance added on top.

Honestly; I don't care if the server is in Singapore or Australia. If the routing can be fixed so I have a half-damn-decent connection to the Singaporian server, I wouldn't care. If it can't and I still have to deal with 250+ the same way I have been since closed beta; then so be it, I can deal. But I can't deal with people complaining about the "game being unplayable at 200+ ping" when that's what a lot of Australians have to deal with.

#47 Your Father Really

Rookie

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 10:44 PM

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 20 March 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

Host State Rewind is there to make the playing field more equal anyway. As somebody who had 200+ to every server; I feel sorry for you, but I can say that ping; unless it's beyond 300, doesn't really make much difference in my experience. Even with the current OCE server giving me 20 ping; the game played just as smoothly and registered my hits just as accurately as if I was playing on 270.

I don't mean to sound condescending or sarcastic about people's complaints; but come on. First time Australia gets recognized as a player base for this game, and everybody comes out of the woodwork to complain about the same kind of bad ping we've had since the game came out; because it feels like you'd rather give us the shaft as the Earth's forgotten lands.

Most of this ISN'T EVEN PGI'S FAULT. They chose to move the server; sure. But the real problem is your routing to that server. There's a lot of Australians who have a wide diversity of pings; with some getting below 200 to Oceanic beforehand, some getting well above (like myself), purely through having different ISPs. They route differently; information flows differently and has extra distance added on top.

Honestly; I don't care if the server is in Singapore or Australia. If the routing can be fixed so I have a half-damn-decent connection to the Singaporian server, I wouldn't care. If it can't and I still have to deal with 250+ the same way I have been since closed beta; then so be it, I can deal. But I can't deal with people complaining about the "game being unplayable at 200+ ping" when that's what a lot of Australians have to deal with.

If you had read I said no one, and we have had it bad as of always. As for routing, its has to do with the closest server. Impacting on gameplay, it does. One could post many sites discussing ping issues, to debate is not the answer but to look at a fix is. Example, playing other games I get a way better ping same ISP.

[color=#959595]Let everyone enjoy a similar gaming experience, makes the playing field more equal. [/color]

So, I actually support your change.

Edited by Your Father Really, 20 March 2018 - 10:49 PM.

#48 courtjester840

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:05 PM

have servers in both locations to help spread the server load and ping just link together as one server WIN/WIN

#49 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:38 PM

Human beings are more likely to spend the time to visit forums to complain than to visit forums to spend the time to praise / thank. So as expected, this thread will be filled with complaints at a far greater ratio than gratitudes.

To the people asking for both a Oceanic AND asia server (and even another server in AFRICA???/ lol...... ), we hardly have enough playerbase to justify the 1 regional server we have.

The decision will come down to... are there more people with Gaming PC's, playing this game in New Zealand and Australia or more with gaming PC's playing this game in South East Asia. I expect the former to be true, but not sure.

The Australian and New Zealand Playerbase has been putting up with 250 average ping to OCE 280 average to NA since this game launched. People in SEA at least have the decency to put up with it for a week. (My ping experience is IINET b4 tpg bought them out then internode on NBN in Narre Warren.)

Having this test during a FP NA server only event is ALMOST as imbecilic as splitting FP queue between units and Non units instead of grouped (with bonus incentives) and solo queuing. And on top of that adding a new game mode simultaneously. If you want USABLE DATA RESULTS FROM THIS TEST you have to only include data from the next few days, phase 1 of the loot bags event in QP or extend the test for a week after the FP event ends and use that data.

I am surprised there are enough people in S.E. Asia playing this game to compete with Aus/NZ, I thought a lot of you would be playing Chinese and Japanese asia server games being in that region. Im glad you are playing this game, just I dont expect it is as big a % of gamers in your countries as it is in Aus/NZ.

View Post50 50, on 20 March 2018 - 04:09 PM, said:

Spoiler

Depends on player regional population numbers.

View PostStealth 1S1K, on 20 March 2018 - 07:31 PM, said:

Yes Almost Every Game. And we have all adjusted. I feel sorry for those who will be un used to such hassles that they have to try and adapt. Hell we Aussies have to do it for just about every game out there so welcome to our gaming experience.

Thats part of the reason I still play league of legends, a server in sydney.

View PostRedSonG, on 20 March 2018 - 08:36 PM, said:

Jeez... Do you have a problem with ppl in asia? the Oceanic server was the only server under 200 ping before.

Now, We have none. That's really a big big middle finger.

I didn't spend my money to see this mess. FIX IT!!!

Get off your high horse and realise you might not be the majority, sorry your inconvienienced but you have to wait while pgi works out what is best for the majority of their playerbase.

View PostTarriss Halcyon, on 20 March 2018 - 10:29 PM, said:

Spoiler

Another server is not an option.

View PostYour Father Really, on 20 March 2018 - 10:44 PM, said:

[color=#959595]Let everyone enjoy a similar gaming experience, makes the playing field more equal. [/color]

That many servers is not an option unless you want long wait times and to pay extra to get the extra servers.

Edited by Cadoazreal, 20 March 2018 - 11:40 PM.

#50 Fire Zone

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 4 posts
  • LocationManila

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:34 AM

I'm from the Philippines and I love playing in Oceanic server as I get a ping rate average of 40ms. Today on Oceanic I get an average of 240ms. I'm hoping we get the Singapore server back. :)

#51 I cant want to

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 12:51 AM

the server change has no impact on faction play (all games are on the NA server)

it is a 7 day trial of a sydney server and we have been told "use it or lose it"

a faction play event starts on the 4th day of this trial

i can only see this as one of two things - poor planning on the scale of having a podcast after work on free beer friday
or
deliberate and intentional timing as pgi does not really want the sydney server test to be successful, only to be seen as trying to appease the aus/nz playerbase

really hoping it is the former, but only time (and pgi's response -if any- to this thread) will tell

#52 M E X

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 381 posts
  • Locationg-town, Vienna, Austria, EU.

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:07 AM

View PostMaelware, on 20 March 2018 - 09:12 PM, said:

These Changes are great in Oceania as the Oceanic is now delivering on what is advertised. Though this is being done at the expense of part of the player base.

The issue with current server set up is two fold. The first is PGI are trying to squeeze too large a physical area into one server group. Thus meaning that regardless where the server is located part of the player base is going to suffer a seriously degraded playing experience. This limitation is not able to be worked around as the limiting factor is physical distance and until we are able to get a drastically faster global network this issue is going to remain. The other issue is the mislabelling of the server as Oceanic in the first place. It was never an oceanic server, it was an Asian server. As such Oceania players have a certain expectation that was never met due to the servers being outside of Oceania and a lot of the Asian players made this server their home and have been come accustomed to a certain level of quality of gameplay are now feeling the pain that the Oceania players have felt since launch.

The logical fix for this would be to bring the Singapore servers back up renamed Asia. while leaving the Oceania server based in AU. Though this is likely to not happen due to PGI wishing to maximise profits.
Thats why I was hoping that PGI will establish a NEW asian server after relocating the oceanic Server to a datacenter where OCEANIC Players have a low ping.

#53 mooman801

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:29 AM

Playing in Singapore. Ping has gone from 5ms to 440ms.

MWO is effectively unplayable on the Oceanic servers, at least for players from Singapore, and likely for players in other parts of East Asia and S.E. Asia.

Hope is just routing issues.

#54 Magik Jack

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 77 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:57 AM

View Posttaalo, on 20 March 2018 - 09:25 PM, said:

I guess I'm not playing with my oceanic friends anymore. US on oceanic servers used to be 200 ping, but it's now 5-600. I primarily play with Aussies because of my time constraints. This is seriously affecting my ability to play.

And neither will I as an Oceanic player (Korea); my ping to the new servers is around 450. Would be nice if they could have this server and one for Asia at least, but I doubt it.

Edited by Captain Hawkins, 21 March 2018 - 01:58 AM.

#55 Poseidolon

• PipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:27 AM

Playing in Japan. Oceanic ping was averaging 86, and is now 500+
If a fourth server can be made, it would be greatly appreciated. I will go back to buying collectors packs instead of standards.

#56 Shaix

• Pip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTaipei

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:39 AM

It's worse than I expected.

Routing from Taiwan goes back to USA??? Then to Sydney...

2 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms h254.s98.ts.hinet.net [168.95.98.254]
3 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms pcpc-3302.hinet.net [168.95.23.94]
4 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms pcpc-3201.hinet.net [220.128.11.210]
5 2 ms 3 ms 3 ms TPDT-3011.hinet.net [220.128.1.78]
6 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms skc1-3011.hinet.net [220.128.24.90]
7 1 ms 1 ms <1 ms r4102-s2.tp.hinet.net [220.128.11.149]
8 1 ms <1 ms 1 ms r4002-s2.tp.hinet.net [220.128.31.9]
9 177 ms 177 ms 177 ms r12-pa.us.hinet.net [211.72.108.5]
10 151 ms 154 ms 151 ms be100-102.pao-sv8-bb1-a9.ca.us [178.32.135.98]
11 155 ms 155 ms 154 ms be100-1368.sjo-sv5-bb1-a9.ca.us [178.32.135.159]
12 168 ms 168 ms 168 ms be100-1365.lax-la1-bb1-a9.ca.us [198.27.73.104]
13 337 ms 337 ms 337 ms be100-1069.syd1-sy2-g2-nc5.aus.asia [198.27.73.169]
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 307 ms 307 ms 308 ms ns548823.ip-139-99-148.net [139.99.148.205]

At least invest in facilities that have proper connectivity... PCCW/NTT are excellent for Asia. Level3//Zayo/Internap are excellent for NA/Europe... Internap would probably be best all around solution, if you're looking for a single provider for all your locations.

But really any of the ones I've mentioned would perform way better than what you're currently using.

Edited by Shaix, 21 March 2018 - 02:42 AM.

#57 Pocket_Aces

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:51 AM

Welp, look like only playing in NA servers now.

Why not put the server in Perth, in between Singa and Syndey/ NZ?

#58 Vadhalla

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:04 AM

The MM are taking longer as the player base is unchecking the Oceania Server

It should benefit the majority not the minority of players (Yes I do get better latency for me but it's at the expense of the player base)

Move it back I miss my friends and foes in MWO.

#59 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:09 AM

Taking less time to find a oceanic only queueing server for me than usual, i expect people rarely have just oceanic selected.

Also sounds like the people is S . E . Asia need to get their service providers to fix their routing like the oceanics already had to do.

#60 Stowven Quek

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

Sigh.. from sub 50 to 350 ms pings. What is the reasoning in changing the server location?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users