55 replies to this topic

#21 I cant want to

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 10:48 PM

View Postsuffocater, on 28 March 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Everything over 150 will still be unplayable, so I will stay with NA and EU (where I live).

I think you should keep up Singapore AND Sydney.

playing from AUS, every single faction game is on a 220 - 350 ping.

#22 Eagle_Owl_Kr

• Pip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:27 PM

if someone have to play in over 300 ping, he would not choose oc sever in selection and just stay in other sever (must be 250-270 ping.. and it still not acceptable).

I wonder what is that statistics getting from?

if just watching oc sever during the testing time, that must be far away from the truth.

#23 Phlycten

Rookie

• 7 posts
  • LocationPearls of the Orient/ Fomalhaut

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:45 PM

View PostMr Steinbrenner, on 28 March 2018 - 10:11 PM, said:

Not to sound racist, but I've never heard an asian person on coms call shots or say Hi I think ever. Do many in asian play MWO? I hear an Aussie every other game. These stats seems balked to me

Occasionally, I could hear an asian-sounding accent calling shots over coms. Most of the time, we prefer to type it on chat since our accents could get in the way of clear communication.

#24 NARC BAIT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 518 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:46 PM

View PostI cant want to, on 28 March 2018 - 10:48 PM, said:

playing from AUS, every single faction game is on a 220 - 350 ping.
the only servers that do faction, are NA .... always have been, always will be ...

#25 Ebelaar

Rookie

• Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:16 AM

(just another asian guy passing by.)

in my humble opinion, i say move it to AUS.
they have been putting up with ping issues for a long time.

don't add a 4th server for asia as that will only divide the already small player base even further.
we can always play on the NA server.

in regards to battletech fans in asia, i can say for certain that there are a number of us who love it.
though it's no where near as many compared to the the rest of the world.
anyway that is just my opinion.

#26 Ebelaar

Rookie

• Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 12:50 AM

View PostTikiboi, on 28 March 2018 - 11:45 PM, said:

Occasionally, I could hear an asian-sounding accent calling shots over coms. Most of the time, we prefer to type it on chat since our accents could get in the way of clear communication.

very true. some asian accent is really hard to understand, couple that with a normal gaming mic that does not filter out background noise is a nightmare. i don't use mic for the same reason to keep the coms clear.

#27 I cant want to

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:21 AM

View PostNARC BAIT, on 28 March 2018 - 11:46 PM, said:

the only servers that do faction, are NA .... always have been, always will be ...

just raising the point that some of the playerbase live in what is being described as unacceptable ping. and frequently win

#28 thraadash

• Pip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

Hi,
I am one of those players who happens to live in Singapore. And while I used to get single digit pings playing on the Oceanic server, 80% of my games are in the NA and EU server, probably due to the higher playerbase.

I get around 230ms for NA and about 350ms for EU servers.

I find that it is still quite playable for EU servers even with that kind of ping and with the HSR, it lessens the impact of it.

I wasn't too concerned with the Oceanic server being moved to AU, thinking I'd probably get 100-300ms ping at the most.

But, lo and behold, 450ms ping. For while, I tried my best to get accustomed to it. But when only less than half of your RAC shots register on a target you can visually see getting hit, you know to quit while you're ahead.

As since, I have unchecked the oceanic server.

I am personally in favour of letting the server be in AU, but I will only resume using it if I can get a ping at least similar to what I get from EU servers.

#29 Axys Rageborn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 125 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 04:32 AM

As a Perth based player I could care less where the server is, I just want to play. While having good ping is awesome I can handle playing at 300 and still get results. Its the sad fact that we live so far away from everyone which means we usually suffer the raw end but hey.

Anyone who played games 10 years ago down under will tell you that red ping was life and we just got used to it.

#30 ZortPointNarf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 261 posts
  • LocationIsle of Man

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

View Postsuffocater, on 28 March 2018 - 01:52 PM, said:

Everything over 150 will still be unplayable, so I will stay with NA and EU (where I live).

I think you should keep up Singapore AND Sydney.

I wish for a 150, the best I get is 190. Is very playable until it crosses 300, then it becomes a guessing game.

#31 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:31 AM

Interesting numbers. I got a few drops on the new AU servers and my pings were right around 220 from Kansas City. I didn't mind it at all.

#32 BrunoSSace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 1,032 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:06 PM

I live in Australia and my pings been 40. I hope the server changes back, since my connections to the other servers I play on have been terrible. I noticed that I have noticeable more lag on the usa server and that is where I play most of my games since there are alot more of the player base living over there. I use to get 220 on usa now its 400. Please change it back. Sincerely the Bruno.
Ps never wanter lower ping, just want quicker matches and ping stable games.

#33 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:11 PM

I mostly play NA, even back when Oceanic was in Singapore. The location of Oceanic personally doesn't affect me all that much. I'm already too used to playing with 200-350+ ping.

#34 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

People focus on ping too much, it's the stability of the connection that can really cause lag and rubber banding at *any* ping. Seriously, I tried to play on my parents wifi once and it was unplayable at 50-100 ping... At least that was the numbers displayed in game...

Edited by MovinTarget, 29 March 2018 - 01:21 PM.

#35 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:21 PM

Im hoping the routing issues get fixed soon so that moar players enjoi playing on SYD server.

I used to get 150ms ping on Singapore server (except wen routing bad then it was 200ms plus.

If Singaporean players can get the same ping to Sydney, that would be great and would increase the number of games on the Sydney server.

#36 I cant want to

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 01:50 PM

View PostBrunoSSace, on 29 March 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

I live in Australia and my pings been 40. I hope the server changes back, since my connections to the other servers I play on have been terrible. I noticed that I have noticeable more lag on the usa server and that is where I play most of my games since there are alot more of the player base living over there. I use to get 220 on usa now its 400. Please change it back. Sincerely the Bruno.
Ps never wanter lower ping, just want quicker matches and ping stable games.

exactly - stable ping is way more important than low ping

#37 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 03:02 PM

PGI:

Ideally we would like this server to cater to the OC and SEA regions the most, while also maintaining playability for those in NA and EU regions to keep the server’s queue decently populated.

This Austrailian server is about 450 ping from europe with my 4G connection, to euro server I have about 90 and US server about 140(or +50 more than to euro)

I don't understand this reasoning about SEA server and it's location having anything relevant to euro or US players.

There are times like morning in europe where it's slow to get games, but most of the other time there's always games going on on either US or EU server with decent waiting, or very quick in primetime, and as both servers are relatively close together, so I would think most others as well have those servers selected if you are from either area and play sometimes at low population time(like night or early in morning).

There would, to me at least, seem to be no reason to select SEA server as no matter where it's located it's far and much higher ping.(for players from europe or US) Now just to stress it out this Australian server with 400+ ping is not really playable, but my point is it should not matter anything to anyone from europe or US because we would not have any need to use otherr servers but EU or US anyway..

Previously I've used the SEA server only once when there was some weird international connection/routing problems where I had a ping of 400+ to US and euro servers while to the Signapore SEA server it was probably normal 200, and this problem lasted less than 24 hours I recall.

( https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__5966299 )

View PostMovinTarget, on 29 March 2018 - 01:21 PM, said:

People focus on ping too much, it's the stability of the connection that can really cause lag and rubber banding at *any* ping. Seriously, I tried to play on my parents wifi once and it was unplayable at 50-100 ping... At least that was the numbers displayed in game...

Ping does have an effect on some things that are handled server side, like targetting. With 400 ping there is a huge delay when targetting any mech, as well as aquiring and keeping lock particularly againts fast moving mech going around you. Same thing with zooming and long range weapons, as the client waits server to give OK to zoom in or out. HSR doesn't work anythng againts that while it does allow moving and shooting (in general) with larger ping.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 29 March 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#38 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 29 March 2018 - 05:15 PM

I am from Singapore (SG)

Interestingly, I prefer the NA server even if my ping is 235, stil able to get those 1000 plus damages in QP.

With the SG server, my ping is less than 10, but I get more teleportations. I have no idea why

I dont play EU servers cause the ping is too severe.

If you look at the Submarine cable map, the link from Sydney is two hops from USA, but at least two additional hops to reach back to SG. A better compromise seems to be Perth.

But I respect any decision that benefits MORE players. cause I can live with 235. (Sometimes it does get to 2000!)

#39 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

I think PGI needs to be crystal clear about what business objective the Oceanic or SEA server is supposed to achieve. Otherwise the player base will just constantly bicker over their own interpretations to suit their own selfish agendas.

Multi region servers for videogames are meant to divide the player base to avoid overloading servers. Given MWO's active population, is it viable to do so?

Instead of spending time and resources finding a good fit for the entire MWO community within Australia, will it ever be better than having it in SG? Singapore has superior, arguably the best international connectivity around the world, hub-wise, for the region. No matter what you do in Australia, it will never come close or equal what you can and have gotten by having the server in SG. And I stress, I am talking about the general MWO community.

Taking a step back, given the size of the MWO community, it is time to consider a massive server merge, going to a single server location system. It is not ping rates that draw players, it is the speed at which games are started that draws players. What's the point of 3ms pings (what I got previously for Oceanic) if I am wasting time seeing Searching on the UI. I want to shoot robots not look at Searching. Even with 3ms pings most of my QP matches are started on NA and EU servers. Maybe 1 in 20 are SG. Those in AU/NZ with all servers ticked now, how many Oceanic games are being spooled for you, compared to NA/EU games?

Given an active population of about 40k with peaks during NA and EU timezones, we're looking at roughly 70 matches an hour, just north of 1 match a minute and that's if everyone is spooling QP which is not the case, given FP and QP pools and the upcoming Solaris 7 further dividing the population. That's a very very very low statistic, much too low to worry about having a 2nd, 3rd or 4th regional server.

Edited by arcana75, 29 March 2018 - 06:46 PM.

#40 Commander Harrison

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 10:55 PM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 28 March 2018 - 10:25 PM, said:

I've seen a fair few people in Singapore (based on their pings when the server was practically next door to them) but while the official language there is English the accent can be a bit hard, and maybe they're aware of this and decide to spare the rest of us from trying to understand what they're saying.
As for the rest of Asia, Battletech and Mechwarrior are western franchises (with lots of Japanese inspiration, yes, no need to point that out) so it might not be as popular to them?

In reality Asians don't talk on comms much. That's just how we are.
As opposed to talking TOO MUCH and inconsequentially...

And lets not forget that the majority of Australia may very well be soon speaking in "asian accent."

HA HA HA.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users