Oceanic Server Connection Discussion

356 replies to this topic

#321 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Oceania, I was able to live with rare hitreg issues but recently I get just as bad warping as on NA and EU despite the route shown by tracert commands as being a different path. Here are screenshots of tracert to all three servers from July 24 and 25, OC on the right side, somewhere on the in-addr.arpa network near the server something is going Time Out.

July 24.
Posted Image

July 25 this morning.
Posted Image

#322 ZimVader

Rookie

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

I'm in Sydney Australia and today my ping was better on the U.S server than the Oceania. Usually around 170 Oceania, 270 U.S, 330 Euro. I've switched Euro off don't play on it anymore, doesn't seem to slow down matchmaking much using just the 2 servers.

#323 Gen82

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:24 PM

You guys are lucky. I have 200+ ping on Oceanic and 400+ on US. Its not even stable. Swings wildly with a variance of 100 or more also.

#324 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 06:50 PM

Looks like TPG is currently routing via Tata: Sydney->Warrigal(VIC)->Pune->Singapore.

Unfortunately, there's a 80ms hop within Pune (India) and a 110ms hop in Singapore - which is worse than the jump from Oz to India.

Basically the ping times between Sydney and Singapore could be maybe 150ms better than they are, if it weren't for horrible routing.

I doubt there's much that MWO can do about this. It's a problem of cheapskate ISPs + cheapskate backbone providers.

Other than maybe setting a VPN up from Perth to Singapore via a decent route and directing Oz players to connect via that, maybe. Moving the Oceanic server to Aus is just going to make it worse for everyone else in the world.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms xx.xx.xx.xx
2 17 ms 16 ms 26 ms xx.xx.xx.xx
3 17 ms 24 ms 17 ms 202.7.205.5
4 22 ms 27 ms 19 ms 203.221.3.68 -- Warrigal
5 119 ms 116 ms 116 ms 180.87.181.21 -- Pune

6 193 ms 183 ms 183 ms 180.87.180.1 -- Pune!
7 184 ms 187 ms 182 ms 180.87.15.40
8 182 ms 182 ms 182 ms 180.87.12.1 -- Singapore
9 291 ms 291 ms 291 ms 180.87.12.250 -- Singapore ?!

10 292 ms 320 ms 294 ms 172.30.230.2
11 293 ms 292 ms 298 ms 103.22.168.150
12 302 ms 309 ms 301 ms 103.245.92.122
13 297 ms 293 ms 292 ms 101.100.201.86

#325 Karamarka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 809 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 07:49 AM

The routing is so bad it's a waste of time.

Yes. You are reading correctly. I get better ping to Europe then Singapore.

Overall, the server locations are not in very good places. US West (Los Angeles) is much, much better for Oceania players and it serves good purpose for US Players too. It's probably easier to manage and cheaper on top of that.

I had 160ms to World of Warcraft back in 2005 lmao.
Posted Image

Edited by Karamarka, 29 August 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#326 that guy with the hair

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:48 PM

It's not usually this bad.

From Sydney I usually got 120~140ms to Oceanic.

But very recently (i.e. last few days), there has been a submarine cable breakage - this is more based on World of Tanks dev update, but it seems to also affect my connection to MWO Oceanic in the same way - my ping is averaging 300ms now.

http://status.vocus....?IncidentID=349
"Sea-Me-We 3 submarine cable between Perth and Singapore is currently down due to a confirmed cable break. "

If this is same incident affecting MWO connection route, its pretty bad news - estimated repair date is mid October.

Edited by that guy with the hair, 01 September 2017 - 04:50 PM.

#327 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Scarily enough, im with Optus and my ping has improved to NA servers since the cable break, I suspect optus route traffic from Western Aust to NA through Japan.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 01 September 2017 - 07:40 PM.

#328 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:04 AM

In SG. Oceanic ping avg 3ms, NA 280ms, EU 300ms. 1GB fibre link. All servers play the same to me gameplay-wise. No noticeable difference in combat.

Australia is a bad place to place a server to reach out to the rest of the world apart from NA and EU because Australia's routing is western world-centric.

If PGI wants to reach out to the rest of the world, eg India, China, SEA, where the largest new markets are, placing the servers in Singapore is the smart long-term move. Star Citizen did the same thing placing their APAC server in Singapore. Singapore is also a cabling hub, where major US, Indian, Chinese and Japanese companies (eg Tata, Facebook, Google, Line) have not only servers in Singapore, but have also installed direct point-to-point submarine cables between the 2 countries to feed their services.

However the routing between Singapore and ANZAC is unoptimised, due largely to Australia's routing strategy. Largely the traffic travels halfway around the world before reaching the destination, hence SG-ANZAC pings are bad. ANZAC players kicked up a ruckus and Star Citizen finally added (or will be adding) a server in Australia. PGI might do the same, but the growth numbers in ANZAC aren't spectacular. Maybe the aussie players can band together and petition PGI properly, or maybe get a kickstarter/patreon going to fund it.

Remember the key point: a server in Australia serves ANZAC. A server in Singapore serves Asia Pacific, which is 4 billion people of which half of them are internet users. S.Korea, Japan, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, all hinterlands for player base growth.

#329 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:18 AM

View Postarcana75, on 08 September 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

In SG. Oceanic ping avg 3ms, NA 280ms, EU 300ms. 1GB fibre link. All servers play the same to me gameplay-wise. No noticeable difference in combat.

Australia is a bad place to place a server to reach out to the rest of the world apart from NA and EU because Australia's routing is western world-centric.

If PGI wants to reach out to the rest of the world, eg India, China, SEA, where the largest new markets are, placing the servers in Singapore is the smart long-term move. Star Citizen did the same thing placing their APAC server in Singapore. Singapore is also a cabling hub, where major US, Indian, Chinese and Japanese companies (eg Tata, Facebook, Google, Line) have not only servers in Singapore, but have also installed direct point-to-point submarine cables between the 2 countries to feed their services.

However the routing between Singapore and ANZAC is unoptimised, due largely to Australia's routing strategy. Largely the traffic travels halfway around the world before reaching the destination, hence SG-ANZAC pings are bad. ANZAC players kicked up a ruckus and Star Citizen finally added (or will be adding) a server in Australia. PGI might do the same, but the growth numbers in ANZAC aren't spectacular. Maybe the aussie players can band together and petition PGI properly, or maybe get a kickstarter/patreon going to fund it.

Remember the key point: a server in Australia serves ANZAC. A server in Singapore serves Asia Pacific, which is 4 billion people of which half of them are internet users. S.Korea, Japan, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, all hinterlands for player base growth.

ANZAC = Australian and New Zealand Army Corps

And its not just Australia's routing it's everyone's routing between Australia and Singapore, if traffic goes out efficiently it will probably come back some other ridiculous route.

But the main issue is the undersea cables are frequently damaged and take months to repair, then another month or two before MWOs traffic might even get re-routed over them.

We've been asking for a separate server to solve this problem. Even Hawken still pays for SEA and Oceania servers, and they probably only served less than 5 players in the past three years.

#330 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

View PostKaramarka, on 29 August 2017 - 07:49 AM, said:

The routing is so bad it's a waste of time.

Yes. You are reading correctly. I get better ping to Europe then Singapore.

Overall, the server locations are not in very good places. US West (Los Angeles) is much, much better for Oceania players and it serves good purpose for US Players too. It's probably easier to manage and cheaper on top of that.

I had 160ms to World of Warcraft back in 2005 lmao.
Posted Image

Oceania servers are not in the Oceania region, but SEA that why we have a high ping.

Singapore is a bad place to get to unless you live in SEA.

#331 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:55 PM

View Postarcana75, on 08 September 2017 - 07:04 AM, said:

Can you please provide stats on the low uptake of Aussies players
Can you please provide stats on how many of the 4 Billon SEA people play MWO ?

Most of your information looks to be made up with little to no sources or comparing MWO to Facebook which has different needs

Also please stop using the word ANZAC to describe AP / Oceania region

#332 Star Rod

• PipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:45 PM

I live in Oceania and I have better ping to American servers... nuf said

#333 Sirrion Rising

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 06:31 AM

In Perth with IInet - 330 is the best to Oceanic, worse for US and worse again for EU

Before National Broadband Network and TPG takeover of iinet, 70-80 ping everywhere for MWO.

#334 KanKrusha

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:57 AM

I live in New Zealand and I basically don’t use the Oceania server because of lag (high ping). I get better ping to North America and similar ping to Europe but the Europe server is more consistent (fewer lag spikes).

#335 Roland Skinner

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 12:08 AM

So, I'm in Perth, and after about 2 glorious weeks of the 56ms pings to Oceanic I had a couple of years ago, I'm back to ~210ms again. My ISP is Amnet (Vocus) - anyone in Perth getting properly routed via the Singapore cable, with Vocus or anyone else ?

#336 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:07 PM

https://www.itnews.c...ut-again-479052

Yeah cable has been cut again. Such a joke.

#337 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:57 AM

View Postjjm1, on 05 December 2017 - 10:07 PM, said:

https://www.itnews.c...ut-again-479052

Yeah cable has been cut again. Such a joke.

Time to move? Posted Image

On the bright side apparently redundancy will be in place next year.

#338 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 02:28 PM

Lol Im from europe and ping to EU and US servers are 400+ while Ocenia only 200. Normally euro should be about 90 and US about 180 with my connection. I don't remember what Ocenia normally would be but I guess much more than US, I don't play there normally.

Just to point out this is odd and very likely temporarely problem.

Edited by Teer Kerensky, 06 December 2017 - 02:30 PM.

#339 arcana75

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

Just for info's sake: https://www.submarinecablemap.com/

You can go to the website's search, and type in your country, and see the dropdown list of hits. You can hope to see your city shown, otherwise you hit "Connected to XXX" where XXX is your country, and you can start to see how the international cables connect from your location.

Edited by arcana75, 06 December 2017 - 06:41 PM.

#340 DJ Sikosis

• PipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 24 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:44 PM

So we gonna get a Sydney-based server in 2018?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users