• Developer
  • 2,773 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:17 AM

HELLFIRE LORE AND BLUEPRINT

New Ardenia Ruins

Arcadia

Kerensky Cluster

23 January 3063

The Arcadian mammoth’s trunk swung wildly, as though snuffling the air. The ears flapping at invisible mites—despite the subzero temperatures—while the meters-long tusks searched for a threat. The massive beast, not finding the danger its instincts warned of, continued on its path at the end of the shattered ferrocrete and tumbled buildings a kilometer distant.

Galaxy Commander Vanel Talasko stretched, jaw cracking as a yawn drew forth its usual physiological reaction that seemed to echo in every muscle and sinews of his body.

At least that creature is able to move. Great Father, how long have we been here? He almost broke comms silence to find out, then chided himself over the lapse. You would tear off the arm of one of your hotheads and beat them with it if they countermanded one of your orders in such a dangerous way. While he lauded the aggression in his command—or any of those that espoused his truths—allowing it to endanger a mission was unacceptable.

He tried to distract himself from the truth of this assignment. Bad enough he was away from his command on Albion. Or that it forced him to encroach on the domain of Epsilon Galaxy and Galaxy Commander Carlos Hutchinson. All that was bad enough. But this—this was punishment, plain and simple. Or as simple as the politics of any Clan’s high command can be considered.

Vanel glanced at the radar screen, noting the discrete blips that made up the Trinary of warriors spread throughout the ruins of New Ardenia. With each ’Mech almost completely shut down, they were practically invisible. With heat signatures banked so low in the freezing air, and the heavy presence of the metallic skeletons of this world’s long-lost first colonies, Vanel’s prey would need to be on top of one of his unit’s ’Mechs to discover their presence.

He stifled another yawn at the endless hours of inactivity and once again looked down both streets that diverged away from the corner building hiding Void, his similarly, nearly shut-down Hellfire. The snows of winter blanketed the ruins in wafting banks that attempted to hide the terrible scars. But the endless ticking of the ’Mech’s radiation sensors spoke of the residue of the nuclear fire which rained down centuries ago on the belligerent citizens of that once-thriving colony. As the Founder forged the Clans, the remnants of the Pentagon Worlds descended into a savagery that matched the worst of the wars to free the Terran Hegemony from the Usurper so long ago. The wars that shattered the hallowed Star League.

As he ruminated on the excesses of those times and the need to prevent their reoccurrence, a new thought blossomed. We are that bulwark. I am that bulwark. This notion illuminated the most demeaning aspect of this assignment. Hunting bandits. I am a Trueborn warrior of Clan Star Adder. My Bloodright descends directly from the warriors that followed the Founder to cleanse the Pentagon of the corruption that felled the Star League. And they have me fighting bandits!

And yet…bandits were where it all began. The devastation of the ruins all around him could be laid at the feet of bandits that refused to listen to the Great Father. Would not the Founder think such work the highest mark of a warrior? Have I been looking at this all wrong?

The radar pinged softly, drawing him from his reverie. A Star’s worth of five arrows probed at the edges of the ruins that served as the base of operations from which these bandits had raided far and wide across Arcadia. The Clans had tried to ignore these raids for the dishonor it would incur to fight them, especially as the bandits always fled at a moment’s notice. Even building this trap had felt wrong as Vanel had laid the plan and put it into action.

They have given up all honor. What care I the actions we use to eliminate them if it means we keep order? We keep our honor where it is required.

He keyed in the sequence that raced across landlines laid to sync communications with his Trinary, setting the stage for springing the trap. Then he cut the wire and slowly brought the fusion engine at the heart of his BattleMech up from its banked state. Joules trickled down Void’s extremities into the bevy of heavy lasers waiting for action.

Anticipatory sweat lined his face as almost half an hour passed, the bandits careful in their movements. At long last, the moment arrived: an ancient BattleMaster lumbered a mere hundred meters down the street. Vanel slammed the power full-on, bringing weapons to bear and unleashing hell on the unsuspecting bandit.

I am the bulwark.

HELLFIRE “VOID”

After the costly Absorption of Clan Burrock, Clan Star Adder felt pressed to strengthen its weakened Touman. Adder scientists, working closely with the warrior caste, chose to reexamine the Lupus, an ancient second-line BattleMech. This coincided with the development of heavy lasers, and several retrofitted designs worked as a test bed for the new laser technology. While somewhat slow for a BattleMech of its tonnage, the newly rechristened Hellfire boasted a combination of heavy armor and firepower that impressed across the board. Khan Cassius N’Buta ordered the process scaled-up, and scores of Hellfires soon appeared in Star Adder Galaxies across Clan Space.

Galaxy Commander Vanel Talasko is the recognized leader of the hotheaded younger warriors within Clan Star Adder. In fact, some whisper that the rising dissatisfaction of this bloc of ristars pushed Clan Star Adder from secondary status into recent prominence within the Clan Homeworlds. This dissatisfaction only rose further after the Adder Khans’ conservative bidding cost the Clan a place in Operation REVIVAL. To assuage that pressure from an angry bloc of warriors—and seeing an opportunity with several of the most powerful Clans fully committed to the Inner Sphere invasion—the Adders flexed their muscles, which directly led to the Burrock Absorption.

Whether Galaxy Commander Vanel Talasko will exploit that perception to climb higher with Clan Star Adder is anyone’s guess. But his espousal of aggressive tactics are borne out in full view of allies and enemies alike, as his Hellfire, Void, savages any enemies that dare challenge him.

Written by Randall Neil Bills

Catalyst Game Labs

HELLFIRE PRE-ORDER PAGE

#2 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

firsties

#3 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:19 AM

Hell yeah!

#4 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:22 AM

Hah! Okay, hellfire?? *brings up Sarna*

Oh... Intersting. i thought the Anni and Hellspawn looked odd, but this... its something about that cockpit placement.... the arms.
Its like a really odd crossmix of the fighter style main body with a humanoid one. its just weird as all bananas.

#5 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

nice 60ton Clan mech.

from Sarna:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hellfire

Description

Following the development of heavy laser technology, Clan Star Adder scientists sought a test-bed on which to mount the lasers. For this purpose, they resurrected the Lupus, a first-generation OmniMech that had been relegated to second-line units or put into storage. The heavy lasers worked so well on the Lupus, Khan Cassius N'Buta had more Lupuses refitted en masse, and new production commenced at their Arcadia BattleMech production lines. Why new production of the reworked and re-christened Hellfire gave up the Omni-technology of the parent is unclear - perhaps for expediency or cost-reduction, or to better showcase the heavy lasers. Whatever the reason, production at Arcadia BattleMech Plant CM-T4 began in 3058, with over 100 walking off the lines in the first year.
Weapons and Equipment

The Hellfire uses a smaller engine than the Lupus, so it only has a top speed of 65 km/h, though it uses MASC to get up to the 86 km/h, the top speed of the Lupus', in short bursts. The Hellfire mounts nine tons of Ferro-Fibrous armor.

For weaponry, the Hellfire utilizes an array of heavy lasers. At long range, the three "Longbow" III LRM-10 launchers provide some force. At medium range, a Series 4D-2 Heavy Large Laser and twin Series 7JA ER Medium Lasers are the go-to weapons. The armament excels at short range, when two Series 6A Medium Heavy Lasers and two Series 14 k. II Heavy Small Lasers can be brought into play. Though the heavy lasers are inherently inaccurate, the incredible damage output makes this 'Mech feared. Seventeen double heat sinks are woefully inadequate to keep heat levels under control, so MechWarriors must take extreme caution.
Variants

Hellfire 2
Approximately twice as expensive as the original, the Hellfire 2 uses an XL Engine to increase the 'Mech's speed to 86 km/h. In place of the LRMs are a pair of ATM 6s. The heavy smalls are replaced with a single ER Small Laser and an additional double heat sink. BV (1.0) = 1,793, BV (2.0) = 2,370

Hellfire 3
A smaller XL engine reduces this variant's top speed to 64km/h, but the MASC system allows the 'Mech to top out at 86km/h for short bursts of speed. The weaponry has been replaced: The side torsos each carry a single SRM-6, while each arm carries an ER Flamer, Flamer, and two Plasma Cannons. Fifteen double heat sinks dissipate the massive heat load generated by the weaponry. BV(2.0)=2,138

Edited by Reno Blade, 04 April 2018 - 10:29 AM.

#6 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:29 AM

Awww...you left of the high heels.

#7 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Since this is a futuristic game basically : Can that annoying Laser/PPC/whatever on the left of the cockpit be transparant somehow ?!

I really hate the mechs that have viewblocking weapons or torso's :(

#8 SideSt3p

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 484 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:39 AM

Pre-order up: https://mwomercs.com/hellfire

#9 Stridercal

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:41 AM

View PostRoodkapje, on 04 April 2018 - 10:33 AM, said:

Since this is a futuristic game basically : Can that annoying Laser/PPC/whatever on the left of the cockpit be transparant somehow ?!

I really hate the mechs that have viewblocking weapons or torso's Posted Image

Wat? Like, seriously, huh-what?

#10 Arkhangel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:48 AM

nice to see another nearly-unknown mech get some love, though, to be honest, it's kinda fitting the Hellfire is showing up, given it was the testbed for Heavy Lasers, even if the Blood Asp is the one better known for having been seen in the field with them.

#11 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

this is not the UrbieIIC you're looking for. Posted Image
move along.

#12 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:03 AM

View PostStridercal, on 04 April 2018 - 10:41 AM, said:

Wat? Like, seriously, huh-what?

Never used a Roughneck/Kodiak/Thunderbolt/Hunchie and got the feeling that you should be able to see more on the left and right outside ?!

I am sure there is some stealth-like stuff they can apply on the left and right since we already have Stealth Armor : :P

#13 Dalatecht

• Pip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

Oh, I forgot all about this one. Nice. Looking at the TRO art, I kinda wish it was more squat like the Linebacker. Feel like it would give it a meaner appearance. But it's whatever, it's nice to have another 60 tonner.

#14 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:15 AM

At least the Mad Dog has a buddy to keep it company in the 60 ton slot.

#15 Mikayshen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 416 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 11:19 AM

Please do not let this mech have super huge STs like the Sun Spider. Pretty please.

#16 Tuzson

• Pip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 04 April 2018 - 11:03 AM, said:

Never used a Roughneck/Kodiak/Thunderbolt/Hunchie and got the feeling that you should be able to see more on the left and right outside ?!

I am sure there is some stealth-like stuff they can apply on the left and right since we already have Stealth Armor : Posted Image

I m pretty sure stealth armor is invisible to radars, not invisible to eyes.. also, i actually use Roughneck/Kodiak/Thunderbolt/Hunchie etc mostly to see those giant weapons from the cockpit xD

Edited by Tuzson, 04 April 2018 - 12:21 PM.

#17 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:28 PM

ALL MY YES!

Time for another sig update Posted Image

#18 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:43 PM

Oh hell yes! I have been pitching for this mech for a couple years now I believe. We needed another 60-tonner and this baby definitely fits the bill!

That said: "The Arcadian mammoth’s trunk swung wildly, as though snuffling the air." I think you meant sniffing.

#19 Alvar Von Kenesthor

• PipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 04 April 2018 - 12:44 PM

There is actually Stealth armor that makes your mech invisible to the naked eye. I read about it long long ago on a 40-45 ton mech named Raptor.
But that was Dark Age/ Wizkids stuff so you shouldn't mind it.
But the idea of just making half you mech invisible because "it's inconvenient" is just plainly stupid

#20 Arkhangel

• Mercenary Rank 2
  • Mercenary Rank 2
  • 1,181 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

View PostAlvar Von Kenesthor, on 04 April 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

There is actually Stealth armor that makes your mech invisible to the naked eye. I read about it long long ago on a 40-45 ton mech named Raptor.
But that was Dark Age/ Wizkids stuff so you shouldn't mind it.
But the idea of just making half you mech invisible because "it's inconvenient" is just plainly stupid

you're just remembering the Null Sig system from MechAssault.

though technically that doesn't make you invisible either. Mimetic Armor does, though. if i remember right, it was either incredibly rare SLDF tech, or something the WoB came up with.

aha.. here we go... Mimetic armor is battle armor cloaking..

there's also these for Mech cloaking: http://www.sarna.net...rization_Shield
and http://www.sarna.net...ignature_System

the Raptor II is the mech you remember, however, it's not really a "small" mech. the original is at 25 tons, but the II is a 40-ton medium mech that's a slight bit taller than a Blackjack.

Edited by Arkhangel, 04 April 2018 - 01:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users