#1 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:45 AM

Posted Image

Welcome to The Valhalla Lounge Mechwarriors of Solaris 7!

The Valhalla Lounge is a place for Solaris 7 gladiators to brag, boast, vent or otherwise just talk about their Solaris 7 arena exploits. This is a place for Stompy Robot Gladiators only!

** Image borrowed from HBS' BATTLETECH.... buy it if you haven't already: https://www.paradoxp...GSK-MASTER.html **

Edited by Ed Steele, 21 April 2018 - 10:48 AM.

#2 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

I will start.

I think that the Boreal map is the worst of the Solaris 7 maps, because it is too easy for (smaller) AC mechs to dominate from range since there is not enough low ground or cover on the map.

#3 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

In DIV 6, the Phoenix Hawk is the most dominant Mech, not because PHX pilots are the best, but because they are quirked for the group queue and those quirks make them way too durable in 1v1. The only other Mech in this division that is broken is the Assassin Dark Death, but the DD is not very common because many players won't spend the money on it. Centurions and Hunchbacks are the mainstays of DIV 6 and are mostly equal, with the Centurion having a bit of an edge, so if I get beat by one of these Mechs I know that it is only because the other Mechwarrior is either more skilled than me, or just luckier. Finally, if anyone in this division does well in any of the other Mechs, then they are just godly Mechwarriors.

#4 Ih8tevictors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCurrently out of my mind, Try again latter

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:40 PM

Hail form Div3 as expected at the moment i am campaigning Victor 9S.

couple of quick notes.
1) the mech that can quickly put the most damage on target is going to win. and by on target i mean to an individual component. willy nilly sand blasting of armor is inefficient.
2) lots of armor and ability to spread damage is a must.
3) component farming is the key to bigger payouts.
4) situational awareness. find them quickly and don't lose them. try not to get slammed into walls and things when you should be shooting, dodging, cooling off.
5) when out classed die well.

here is a match where a streak crow did huge damage to my Victor but could not land the pin point damage needed to put my Victor down quickly. Allowing me to land that lucky match ending shot...

#5 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:30 PM

PGI owes me a win (or at lest take off one loss) since the game froze before I could fire a shot on the Euro Server!

#6 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 10:37 PM

Well, I guess PGI made it up to me by having my next opponent be a Cicada with a RAC, LOL

#7 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:53 PM

OK, I have been seeing some improvement among Hunchback pilots, either that or I have just been playing very poorly recently. I have managed to destroy a couple Phoenix Hawks, maybe because their skill trees were not optimized, or whatever, or maybe the near immortal Phoenix Hawk pilots know some kind of exploit. I even ran into one Uziel that beat me, but that was after a number of beers and I was pretty tired.

#8 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:34 PM

I ended up having an especially bad run tonight, but finally got a win in my last game. I did go to the dark side and put together a Phoenix Hawk to use while I modify my Centurion and I will concede that the Phoenix Hawk is not indestructible (at least not while the skills still need to be maxed out).

#9 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 08:12 PM

The Phoenix Hawk is way too twitchy and runs too hot for me, so I put Ragnar back to his original configuration, because, even though my Centurion is a bit slow, he can take hits and hit back twice as hard!

** Yes I did just admit that the Phoenix Hawk may take just a little skill to pilot effectively (although it still takes way more damage than it should).

Edited by Ed Steele, 23 April 2018 - 08:12 PM.

#10 loopala

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:27 AM

just for S&G i pulled out my Trials only account and actually the trial mechs are not that bad on Solaris but i have yet to win a match. mostly do to inefficient heat builds or bad armor distribution. most trial mechs carry way too much back armor to be good duelist.

Yen Lo Wang is a good killer in Div7. fast twist, good hit boxes, and twist range all work well.

#11 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:55 AM

View Postloopala, on 24 April 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

just for S&G i pulled out my Trials only account and actually the trial mechs are not that bad on Solaris but i have yet to win a match. mostly do to inefficient heat builds or bad armor distribution. most trial mechs carry way too much back armor to be good duelist.

Yen Lo Wang is a good killer in Div7. fast twist, good hit boxes, and twist range all work well.

Yeah, the Yen Lo really needs to be in DIv 6 along with the AH.

#12 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:22 AM

Another lucky match in the factory. Only thing I can think of is ammo in the leg set off ammo in the LT. Which took out the center torso, 4 components distroyed. Kind of a borring crab hunt till the 2:50 mark. Then a 3d slug fest in the factory.

King Crabs own div 3. Good hit boxes, lots of armor. Factory and caves they have problems but then what mech doesn't? Ok I like the factory with a high jumping Victor. Adds that 3rd element to the map. Of all the maps it is the one that really let's JJs shine.

Edited by loopala, 26 April 2018 - 06:08 PM.

#13 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 12:16 PM

View Postloopala, on 24 April 2018 - 11:22 AM, said:

Another lucky match in the factory. Only thing I can think of is ammo in the leg set off ammo in the LT. Which took out the center torso, 4 components distroyed. Kind of a borring crab hunt till the 2:50 mark. Then a 3d slug fest in the factory.

https://youtu.be/iB_DuXb33rc

King Crabs own div 3. Good hit boxes, lots of armor. Factory and caves they have problems but then what mech doesn't? Ok I like the factory with a high jumping Victor. Adds that 3rd element to the map. Of all the maps it is the one that really let's JJs shine.

I have found that ammo in the left or right torsos is always a bad choice in Solaris.

#14 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 24 April 2018 - 09:25 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 24 April 2018 - 12:16 PM, said:

I have found that ammo in the left or right torsos is always a bad choice in Solaris.

Ammo is bad mojo in the torsos in Solaris. I am still seeing mechs carrying way too much ammo in the duels. I know I have cut my ammo way back. 20~30 shots of ac20 is plenty in 1v1. I Even against the mighty King Crab . Most weapons I get by with 1 or 2 tons of ammo. More room for armor, JJs, and DHS. I find a fully disposal able side torso is more important then extra ammo. Need to build some left handed mechs to screw with current right side dominance mechs I see out there. Gunnery, long jevity, and nerve are a brawlers best traits out in the games.

Side note my 9N challenge mech will be at 25 drops soon. I have been dropping in it to break up the games. Unsurprisingly not a lot of brawlers in QP right now. I think I picked a good one. At the rate it is going it will be my only account out of tier 5 lol

GL HF or Die Trying...

#15 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:29 PM

Well, Ed Steele is still the fastest draw at least 49% of the time even after a 6-pack, LOL!

#16 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 04:37 PM

Input lag is the bane of the Solaris 7 gladiator.

#17 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:39 PM

The last two games I played were so close that I believe that the difference in ping was the only reason that I lost. When there is 60-100 ms difference in ping in Solaris, the person with the lower ping will always win if you both fire simultaneously. Also, for some reason Autocannon shots and SRM (unguided missiles) do not continue on and hit their target once you are killed, so what should have been a tie ends up being a win for the other player.

#18 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:29 PM

The real reason that I love Solaris, I spent many quarters on this game as a kid:

** I remember the blisters on my hand from making that shield **

Edited by Ed Steele, 26 April 2018 - 05:31 PM.

#19 Ih8tevictors

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 272 posts
  • LocationCurrently out of my mind, Try again latter

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

Funny you should mention old stuff that makes you love Solaris 7 more.

set the way back machine to 1991 Sherman... OK Mr. Peabody

During an RPG campaign my group of role players ran a Solaris 7 Championship campaign. Even back in the paper and dice days I was a believer in JJs. So I ran a pretty much stock VTR-9B. C-Bills being hard to come by, along with following 3025 construction rules and time lines. Everybody ran fairly stock mechs. Even back then the AC20 was king of the games. and no I was not the grand champion. still a fun bunch of games.

#20 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:04 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 21 April 2018 - 11:20 AM, said:

I will start.

I think that the Boreal map is the worst of the Solaris 7 maps, because it is too easy for (smaller) AC mechs to dominate from range since there is not enough low ground or cover on the map.

That depends a little on the mech you're using.

I used those ice blocks as dart-n-dodge cover against a Yen Lo in my Div7 Locust. Now, not every mech can take full advantage of that.

But there are other maps I want no part of in my Locust, like Jungle. I'm uniformy bad on Jungle in that mech (the only one I'm running), and haven't adjusted yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users