Server Choice

27 replies to this topic

#1 I L L

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:56 AM

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting Oceanic Servers when I'm playing at NA prime time? In normal matches I could not care less but in 2v2 or 1v1 its a MASSIVE difference to play a 400 ping.

Why do we even have the option of filtering servers if it dons't do ANYTHING?

I would rather wait for an NA match than have an Oceanic match and get slaughtered because I have to adjust my aim to tree different pings depending on the Oceanic, EU or NA server.

This is a huge issue that needs to be addressed.

This basically makes Solaris unplayable outside of your time regions prime time and even then it's a crap shoot to get a good server.

#2 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 07:55 AM

Agreed. I dropped in a match last night on Oceanic where my opponent was constantly teleporting all over the map. I have quick play set to NA only because of things like that. Please let us restrict Solaris servers.

#3 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:15 AM

Played a match today on Oceanic where I had an intial ping of 1211. oO

#4 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:33 AM

It's a bit weird. I think you select your zone in the menu, and it flips a coin whether you'll play in your server or your opponents. Since the menu defaults to NA, I guess EU and OC players who don't specify their zone end up in a lot of NA games.

Really, it should aim to minimize the ping difference between players as part of its calculation, so EU vs EU is always on the EU server, but EU vs OC happens in NA. Something like that would make more sense. Or just make all matches in NA unless both players have same region selected.

#5 Hexeter

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSolaris 7

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:38 AM

It tries to get you on to the Server you 'Prefer' but in the interests of getting you a Match at all it will kick you too other servers rather than keep the 60 second queue going.

#6 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:42 AM

I just came from a game where my Timberwolf was shredded by an Osiris, all because I could not hit him because of the lag I was suffering. We need to be able to select our own servers.
(PS, you think its bad playing NA in he Ociana servers? Try being British and playing in either of them)

#7 Golm

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:32 PM

[color=#959595] Or just make all matches in NA unless both players have same region selected. [/color]

Seriously? American-centric or what? You are not the centre of the universe.

So how is that fair when you play a EU or Oceanic player? Would you be happy playing on an Oceanic server Vs an EU player, to even up your pings ( as you suggest)?

Really, Ping makes no difference when play heavies or assaults. We all have a high initial ping - then it settles down. If you are getting above 350ms ping, the issues are greater than simply where you are located in relation to the servers.

I have to play on NA servers all the time, and I do not believe it makes any difference at all (unless trying to target speedy little lights).

View PostBlood Rose, on 22 April 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

Try being British

That's true - you win.
Or lose, as the case may be Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:38 PM

Aussie playing on 400 ping can still win ( Eu server)

Unless your ping is Jumping around, if it stable under 420 Ping HSR works ok.

1v1 is slow too, so pretty easy to do well.

View PostBlood Rose, on 22 April 2018 - 10:42 AM, said:

I just came from a game where my Timberwolf was shredded by an Osiris, all because I could not hit him because of the lag I was suffering. We need to be able to select our own servers.
(PS, you think its bad playing NA in he Ociana servers? Try being British and playing in either of them)

Timberwolf is a bad mech, I guess the Osiris player was better skilled for the 1v1

#9 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostGolm, on 22 April 2018 - 03:32 PM, said:

Seriously? American-centric or what? You are not the centre of the universe.

I'm in Aus.

It's really lame to be playing against EU players who are clearly fighting uphill against 400 ping. At least in NA both players are going to be pinging around 250 in most cases.

Probably a better way to put it would have been to say EU vs OC should be hosted in NA.

#10 Golm

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 08:28 PM

View Postzugnish, on 22 April 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

Probably a better way to put it would have been to say EU vs OC should be hosted in NA.

Fair enough. I can understand that. So the full list would be:
EU VS NA = Oceanic server
Oceanic VS EU = NA server
Oceanic VS NA - EU server

However, even when I play EU & NA I do not feel disadvantaged. i suspect an older PC may have a more significant impact.

#11 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 22 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

Move all servers to Somalia, so everyone has a bad ping.

#12 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 23 April 2018 - 12:49 AM

View Postzugnish, on 22 April 2018 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'm in Aus.

It's really lame to be playing against EU players who are clearly fighting uphill against 400 ping. At least in NA both players are going to be pinging around 250 in most cases.

Why should EU get an advantage playing in NA ? ( over AP)

They should just make it so it tries and gives you your home server 50% of the time. ( maybe more ELO if you win at high ping too.....)

#13 calmdawn

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:06 AM

I don´t mind more ELO for high ping, more ELO for other mech. It is one of the way to balance ppl among servers, mechs in one division, mechs between divisions.

#14 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 01:20 AM

View PostGolm, on 22 April 2018 - 08:28 PM, said:

EU VS NA = Oceanic server
Oceanic VS NA - EU server

I can't see that being a popular outcome. From what I can tell, EU gets about 250 to NA and so do Aus players, and 250 is playable. But I can't see anyone in EU or NA being happy to be forced to play on OC unless it moves back to Singapore.

View Postlive1991, on 23 April 2018 - 12:49 AM, said:

Why should EU get an advantage playing in NA ? ( over AP)

They should just make it so it tries and gives you your home server 50% of the time. ( maybe more ELO if you win at high ping too.....)

From what I can tell, EU doesn't really get an advantage over OC players when they're on the NA servers. If they do, it's not as huge as the EU<->OC ping gap.

From what I can tell right now, you do play on your home server about 50% of the time. As long as you tell the game which one is your home server.

#15 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 23 April 2018 - 03:46 PM

View Postzugnish, on 23 April 2018 - 01:20 AM, said:

From what I can tell, EU doesn't really get an advantage over OC players when they're on the NA servers. If they do, it's not as huge as the EU<->OC ping gap.

From what I can tell right now, you do play on your home server about 50% of the time. As long as you tell the game which one is your home server.

They get under 90 ping, AP can get 250 to 350 ping to NA....... ( but ping means nothing to me, so how about we just be fair 50/50)

EU just need to suck it up and stop blaming ping for running in a straight line or sucking.

I played an EU person last night on OC server, smashed him he blamed ping, Next game on EU server - Smashed him
I played an NA person last night on the OC server, Smashed him and he blamed lag, next game on NA server - Smashed him.

I get 300 Ping to NA, 300 to 400 Ping to EU and 100 to OC, Positive W/L and can not say ping has effect me at all.

Its easier to blame ping than your own skill.

View Postzugnish, on 23 April 2018 - 01:20 AM, said:

Then that is great Posted Image

Edited by live1991, 23 April 2018 - 03:47 PM.

#16 zugnish

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 03:03 AM

They get under 90 ping, AP can get 250 to 350 ping to NA....... ( but ping means nothing to me, so how about we just be fair 50/50)

I thought it was more - I guess I'm occasionally playing against OC players who haven't bothered to set their region. On the balance, I'd be happy with more 90 vs 250 matches and less ping whinging. Winning feels empty when the ping imbalance is over 350. (but doubly triumphant when it's in their favour).

View Postlive1991, on 23 April 2018 - 03:46 PM, said:

Then that is great Posted Image

It's probably the best compromise we could hope for.

#17 Yondu Udonta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • CS 2020 Gold Champ
  • 645 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:14 AM

All the people complaining about ping when it doesn't really matter.

#18 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:36 AM

Game throws me to EU- or NA-server automatically no matter which I have chosen. They work close to flawless HSR-wise as ping <130 to both, so not an issue to me.

#19 Liveish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • CS 2022 Referee
  • 838 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:34 AM

View Postzugnish, on 24 April 2018 - 03:03 AM, said:

I thought it was more - I guess I'm occasionally playing against OC players who haven't bothered to set their region. On the balance, I'd be happy with more 90 vs 250 matches and less ping whinging. Winning feels empty when the ping imbalance is over 350. (but doubly triumphant when it's in their favour).

Why its soo much fun beating people when your ping is 400 and there is 30 Posted Image

Edited by live1991, 25 April 2018 - 05:34 AM.

#20 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:27 AM

View PostYondu the Ravager, on 24 April 2018 - 05:14 AM, said:

All the people complaining about ping when it doesn't really matter.

I'm not talking about a simple lag that you see occasionally with the higher pings. I'm guessing you have never seen what I am referring to. You know the buildings in F7 on grim plexus where folks hide just inside the dom circle? When this happens, and I typically only see it on the Oceanic servers, a fast light like a locust can move as much as the width of those buildings between updates on my screen. He's updating once a second or less. No continuous motion - Just keeps teleporting from one place to the next.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users