Battletech Game - Available For Download 4/24

297 replies to this topic

#41 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:33 PM

I am not a good strategic game player but I decided to try it because of Mechs.
I started with skirmish and I am very happy with the game.
Sure it still has some bugs and flawes but the mech-feeling is 100% for me and I spent 2 or 3 hours yesterday.
And difficulty and longtime motivation looks good at the moment.

I prefere the FPS of MWO but this game becomes more and more boring over the years (Solaris is fun but no longtime motivation).
So I really recommend to give Battletech a change.
The mechs look so gooood.
And it seems it has a good storyline.
Yeaaaah!

Edited by Mumuharra, 24 April 2018 - 10:35 PM.

#42 Cerulean Knight

• PipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 89 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:38 PM

Alright, 3 hours in now.

My verdict: Good (I would put it at 80% at the current moment).

It feels like Battletech, and handles like it. No glitches so far aside from a few FPS hiccups during large explosions. Otherwise, everything else is smooth on max settings. Combat can be slow, but, I don't see that as much of a downside for me if at all. Some odd "action" camera angles does lessen the hype of a massive melee hit from time to time, but it looks like you can tweak the "action" camera a bit in the settings to avoid it from turning on, if you so desire.

View PostMechaBattler, on 24 April 2018 - 10:28 PM, said:

Anyone else disappointed in the character creator?

To a point I am, and to a point I am not. It reminds me vaguely of the character creator that was in Dragon Age: Origins. Not the best, but certainly not the worst, either.

#43 LowSubmarino

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:14 PM

Theres awesome turn based games. Just awesome

Xcom 2 wtoc is one of the best games released in the last years. And its turn based.

Will definitely play this.

#44 TechChris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 159 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Midwest, I think??? Dang "Drinkin Man's" Shooter bad for my memory! ^_^

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:17 PM

Well,

I got to put in about 8 hours of play today (was my day off, n decided to gloriously accomplish jack squat today!) and do a few skirmish and half dozen missions, n so far I'm enjoying it quit well when I'm actually doing something in game. As a good 3 or so hours of that was just me digging around all the stuff, seeing what things did, and general exploration of all the games bits n pieces, which can be quit time consuming in and of itself, there's A LOT of stuff to click on, explore, customize, decide on, detail, etc, etc.

But when actually playing, I feel it's pretty good stuff so far. Looks beautiful, plays like battletech, and overall feels like commanding and managing a bunch of big stompies.

Only real bugs or glitches I've seen so far are visual. The mechs movement animations can be a bit jerky every now n then, legs/feet in weird directions and angles over broken terrain, n that kinda stuff. Nothing too serious, heck, most it just made me giggle cause it just looks silly for a moment to imagine a big stompy moving or bending like that. ^_^
Only "game breaking" bug I've seen so far is choosing melee attack directions got all finicky on me once. (I was in a SHD directly in front another one, pretty much hugging it, on open terrain, and for melee all it would let me choose was to stay put n attack from there. Wouldn't let me move to its side or rear to attack, was weird, but only happened that once so far.)

And my only "complaint" so far is it an be a bit slow/time consuming. Out of combat there's just so much stuff to fiddle with, in combat it's turn based as expected and you can choose thru so many options n strategies ....... There's almost too many options, decisions, things to fiddle with, ya can get lost in it all. Not really a bad thing, but can be mildly annoying when ya done micromanaging ya band of Goofballs n just wanna get back to shooting stuff without having to over think all the implications and logistics of who you've decided ya wanna shoot.

All n all, if it's turn based battletech big stompies ya want, this is a beautiful place to find it.

#45 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:33 PM

View PostTechChris, on 24 April 2018 - 11:17 PM, said:

All n all, if it's turn based battletech big stompies ya want, this is a beautiful place to find it.

I've got to agree with this, played the Campaign for a while yesterday and it has excellent Battletech flavour, looks good, has all the TT simulation you want. I'd bet that all the salt is from people who just don;t have any idea about Battletech and were expecting Star Wars Battlegrounds/Force Commander or something like that.

I think they're onto a winner

#46 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:07 AM

This was my first disappointment in the game. And I DO NOT MEAN the pronoun thing (it boggles me mind some people are so butthurt over it).

All I wanted was to recreate Lt. Lewis, but it turns out this game fails to celebrate its glorious 1980s heritage.

This game needs bigger mullets. And a wider selection of moustaches (including a proper pr0n-stache).

Spoiler

#47 Villainy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSomewhere there is Ramen

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:12 AM

[Redacted]

I'm psyched to get it, I'll be downloading it as soon as I can. I'll put more hours into this than XCom.

Edited by draiocht, 01 May 2018 - 03:45 AM.
Quote Clean-Up, reference

#48 Nema Nabojiv

• 1,783 posts
  • LocationUA

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:31 AM

Yes, but at the same time it is not a triple-A title to spend much money on developing a good one, I can understand that.

I do hope someone mods-in static portraits that look good though.

#49 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 12:32 AM

Not disapointed by the Character Creator, found a Grey Haired Face that i am ok with, they also had Heraldry i liked.
The BT Game is stressing my PC, i had 73°C CPU Temperature and my GPU was hots as hell aswell and i crasehd 3 times in the first Mission after Tutorial for overheating which i never do in MWO.
Also the Camera jerks out and i have to reload 1 or 2 times a Mission for that.

Gameplay fantastic - game technically crap so far until its patched out!

#50 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:21 AM

Games far superior to this, and its far cheaper as well.

View PostKhobai, on 24 April 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

its worth buying, just not for $40

id wait till it goes on sale

I only paid $20 for it from the kickstarter, and I feel good about it at that price

$40 bucks is less than a mech pack... Posted Image

Edited by Samial, 25 April 2018 - 01:23 AM.

#51 MustrumRidcully

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 01:31 AM

My only regret is having not enough time to play it longer. And maybe that I already know the start arc from streams. But that's my fault.

#52 StealthdragonB

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

So now the steam reviews have gone to mostly positive, but you still see a few bad ones when scrolling down. Hopefully it stays that way? Seems like it was just the initial reviews that made it seem worse.

#53 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

Initial reviews on steam are always questionable. People that don't have issues with their rig running it are too busy trying the game to write reviews, so only people with problems make it there early. I'm no sure what some people's complaints are about the graphics, though. The level of detail is kind of crazy for this type of game. Afterall, the mechs came from MWO, and carry all of the details you would expect from that scale of game. I guess they are complaining that the cut-scenes aren't AAA+ masterpieces?

My only disappointment is that I still had to work today after playing entirely too long last night.

The lance scale for the game is good in that you end up being more attached to your pilots and mechs than you would if it were a larger game. That, combined with the RNG, makes for some nail biting moments. It's a lot like playing a TT game and waiting to see if your opponent rolls well enough to ruin your day. And, even if you do get hit by the horrible end of RNG, the game is designed to let you recover from losses over time. It's not the "I need to reload if anyone gets killed" type deal like XCOM.

So, if you like TT strategy games, XCOM, or are just a fan of big stompy robots--Battletech is great.

#54 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:28 AM

After reading about the crashes here and on steam, I think I'll wait until at least the first patch.

What I've seen in various vids is looking good so far though.

(He, She, or They)

How dare HBS not provide at least 'it', 'other', 'none' and 'anything not on your list'! Posted Image

#55 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:44 AM

View PostDogstar, on 24 April 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

I've got to agree with this, played the Campaign for a while yesterday and it has excellent Battletech flavour, looks good, has all the TT simulation you want. I'd bet that all the salt is from people who just don;t have any idea about Battletech and were expecting Star Wars Battlegrounds/Force Commander or something like that.

I think they're onto a winner

After several hours with it yesterday, I do have one gripe with it, if you lose a mech the pilots you higher will be K.I.A....

I've learned this the hard way, the Spider I had in my lance for a while due to lack of choice has killed 5 pilots so far.... I scrapped that thing at last, last night after my Centurion 9A came online.

#56 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:52 AM

First three missions complete, two pilots lightly injured, all mechs operational and looking for contracts. I haven't enjoyed a game like this in a long, loooong time Posted Image

The BattleTech feel is spot on, with hulking, scuffed machines duking it out across grand and varied maps. The tactical aspects - flanking, feinting, movement speed, attack angles, weapon heat management - are front and centre each mission. The mixup of ranged and melee combat makes for some truly cinematic narratives as the missions progress, and every attack feels weighty and significant.

It's not quite perfect yet - there are some delays in animations and the portrait creator could do with more options - but it's close, and if you're a fan of Battletech lore and tabletop-style combat where every attack has a chance to cause problems for even the largest 'Mechs, then I highly recommend it.

View PostDogstar, on 24 April 2018 - 11:33 PM, said:

There were a few connectivity problems setting up accounts in the hour after release, which seems to have put some players off. I had to get my name reset after I misunderstood the account setup (it's not a temporary username!), but Paradox were very helpful in getting it straightened out. Some of the other complaints I've seen seem to focus around the speed of combat and some of the animations. Hopefully HBS will tweak those in future patches.

Edited by Rakshasa, 26 April 2018 - 07:02 PM.

#57 Boris the Bulletdodger

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 06:54 AM

As soon as i realized it's a Unity game i went "oh noooo"...but it runs ok even on my potato cooker.Loading times are decent (at least much faster than MWO)

The only negative so far has been the SLOW SLOW SLOW animations and camera angle changes etc. Disable those and it's much much better.

If it was like Wartile it would have been so much better, and much much closer to the tabletop experience.

#58 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

Elect for minimum salvage and max cbills.

Cockpit a Black Knight first shot of the game.

Your 2 random salvaged are a Heatsink and AC10 ammo.

Dat Merc Life, Yo.

The Campaign is amazing and I'm loving it. It's so Battletech. Just so vibrant and alive. Just loving it.

#59 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:48 AM

It's killing me that I can't get on my gaming rig and play BT right this second. After all three Shadowrun RPGs, I'd have been willing to play Moist Dung Dodgeball if it came from HBS, but a BT game? Sign me right up.

...and here I am stuck on MobileSpud the ten-year-old craptop until the weekend. I hate you all.

#60 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:50 AM

View PostStealthdragonB, on 25 April 2018 - 06:13 AM, said:

So now the steam reviews have gone to mostly positive, but you still see a few bad ones when scrolling down. Hopefully it stays that way? Seems like it was just the initial reviews that made it seem worse.

It's at 70% positive reviews and there are 400 negative reviews of the game.
All of which are citing various technical issues all around.

So the game is good, it just has a 30% chance of being unplayable. Which is quite a lot and the people who find themselves a part of those 30% have all the right in the world to be angry, IMHO. A really poor showing on the part of Harebrained schemes considering just how many times they've postponed the release date to prevent this exact thing from happening. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users