Exposing Player Builds In Solaris Player Card Information

147 replies to this topic

#61 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:47 AM

Seeing the exact weapon loadout and armor distribution:

Well if it's already there, keep it. It can add some novelty information about loadouts but I wouldn't consider it highly useful on top the original Solaris 7 weapon loadout list displayed directly on player card.

Some people say no, because of "privacy", that you can't see it in combat and thus shouldn't be seeing it elsewhere as the exact loadout is a "secret" only to the player who's loadout it. I don't think it matters. I don't see much logic in that. If you are facing mainly same enemies most of the time and if they are skilled enough, they knowing your exact build and you not because you didn't bother to use so much time on not fighting(I doubt skilled players check the loadouts of other players much even as it is) will not IMO provide then real any advantage over you.

Keeping it will allow some people to optimize their mechs slightly better for S7.

Skill tree:
Absolutely not. Don't waste any second of time on it, that's the reasoning, don't use any time or effort for something of no real use.
Because of the highly restricted format and most divisions having a very clear meta, there's very little breathing room in skill tree to an optimal selection. Much less than in QP or FP where you can specialize a bit. So there's no value in seeing the skill tree of any players, you could mainly see if someone has made specific S7 skill tree or are they using the more generic tree the are using elsewhere too.

#62 Panoy V Knicks

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 57 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:49 AM

Now I know that the annilihator Ann-2a is the most BAD *** mech. I Must buy that mech. PGI , I think its a good marketing strategy since I lot will buy the annilihator.

#63 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:54 AM

Tarogato's idea is so far best. All normal info is there, but critical details (ammo locations, armor distribution etc) are missing.
Works.

https://mwomercs.com...ost__p__6081076

#64 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:04 AM

With the player base shrinking as it is, I'm all for removing any barrier that prevents a newer pilot from figuring out how to be competitive.

PGI, you should be focusing on speeding up the client and improving overall quality of life in your client:

• How about separate loadouts for the same mech for Solaris, Faction and Quickplay?

• How about preset loadouts that we can send to friends?

• How about locked decal configurations, (such as a unit logo design) that can be shared amongst unit members?

• How about a friends list that doesn't still show folks online that logged off an hour ago?

• How about robust and intuitive community tools IN GAME, that make it easier for people to make friends and group up with one another...

• How about drop decks that aren't clunky and force people into panic mode trying to select the mechs they need during a 60 second countdown?
I could go on...

Edited by Dionnsai, 26 April 2018 - 06:05 AM.

#65 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 613 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:26 AM

I suggest to leave this feature (not bug, feature) as it is, although I wouldn't be pissed if I had to pay C-Bills (if MC, I would. Seriously.) :)

#66 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 05:31 PM.

#67 Daflibble

• Pip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 08:52 AM

Again with the thanks for asking for opinions on this bug become future feature.

While I have a liking for the idea of competitive edge with keeping details secret I think it would help the game and new players more to make it fully open. Showing what other competitors load outs and skill trees are. Dress it up with some espionage waffle and a small token C-BILL fee to access information if you like but make it fully available.

The comprise I'd go for would be a user configurable option for MechWarriors who like to be open and public to show their it all or those that like to be secretive to hide partial information via a setting. I'd go for default being public.

Keep up the good work loving Solaris7.

Peace, love and MACHINE empathy Mechwarriors

meow meow kitty meow meow

#68 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:15 AM

Show builds. Even if players are trying to cut corners by skimping on armor here and tucking away ammo there, this level of transparency forces players to "play honest" and min/max just a little less since they have to acknowledge their achilles heel isn't a secret.

#69 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

View PostLepestok, on 26 April 2018 - 05:28 AM, said:

Remove mechlab from Solaris. It's not fun. Fights should be on stock mech's. In addition, this will allow you to easily adjust the balance.

Except many stock loadouts totally negate any change at balance because many are leagues better than others Posted Image

Leave the LORE at the DOOR. Solaris and MWO is not Table Top, it's a FPS.

#70 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:00 AM

Some stock loadouts are op but most are not optimized to mid/shortrange brawl

#71 Throe

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:23 AM

[deleted by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#72 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 10:33 AM

Tina, I know this is horrenduously offensive , but ...

EXPOSE IT ALL !

And nope, that´s a serious exclamation .

Edited by B0oN, 26 April 2018 - 10:33 AM.

#73 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

View PostThroe, on 26 April 2018 - 10:23 AM, said:

Mid/shortrange brawl is fairly easily beaten by midrange high-alpha poke, provided it has a speed advantage. Stick and move.

Point being is that most stock mechs are either over optimized for one play style to a fault (all standard PPC Awesome or 'Pult with only lrms) or they have a little bit of everything.

Add to the fact that MANY IS mechs are stock with shs and you'd have a hard time making 7 general divisions.

#74 Captain Grayson Lighthorse

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:39 AM

I say NO!

The opposing players do not need access to Mechlab, build information, nor a 'Mechs skill tree layout unless a pilot explicitly "offers" that information. Spectators can see your 'Mech build and how it plays. But your opponent only needs what is provided via sensor information.

Giving your opponent access to your "ENTIRE" 'Mech configuration completely eliminates the advantage of a good 'Mech build and makes the act of building your 'Mech and the Mechlab useless. If you do this, you might as well just eliminate the Mechlab from Solaris and make everyone run stock 'Mechs only, as all advantage and enjoyment of "building" a 'Mech will be ruined.

The only information that the opposing player should be able to see is what they can gain from normal sensor probing. This gives weapon loadouts and that is sufficient. If any player "wants" to share their loadout information, they can do it via Smurfy. Having access to a 'Mech's entire loadout would just allow seasoned players to farm components that have ammo stored in them and then they would just target those components.

New players need to learn how to play the game via "playing" the game and "building" their 'Mechs. Offering them "copy-and-paste" information through Solaris is not the best way to do this. QP will show them a much broader range of 'Mechs, loadouts, and play styles to learn from.

Edited by Captain Grayson Lighthorse, 26 April 2018 - 12:29 PM.

#75 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 April 2018 - 11:58 AM

How about this, in BT/books, weren't the loadouts generally known before hand? How often did the Wang get modded solely for the purpose of obfuscating his loadout???

I am asking b/c i didn't do S7 in anything but MW games so tell me.

#76 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 762 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:08 PM

I would prefer not seeing the mechlab and skilltree. lthough the information is usefull, I think that some details of a build needs to stay with the player.
Not knowing e.g. where ammo is stored keeps some 'uncertainty' in the match which to my opinion keeps it more interesting.
Otherwise I have the feeling that excessive targeted component shooting will increase drastically.

#77 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:20 PM

Okat, if there are only a handful of players such that you keep facing the same ones, I can see how that would be problematic. Hypothetically is you have such a large pool of potential opponents it would be near impossible to memorize it all.

How about for simplicity's sake, you can only see the paper doll info? You know what the mech is offensively packing... I say this b/c its exactly what you get visually at the beginning of each S7 match and if you know your weapons you know already what they are packing unless its hidden by claws or bay doors.

#78 Capn Cat

• PipPip
  • The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 36 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:37 PM

+1 Vote for a Summary type view of the build and NO skill tree. Personally I'm quite happy to try and work out how a pilot put a build together and come up with a skill tree of my own.

#79 Holy Jackson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 222 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:51 PM

+1 summary and no skill tree. Im ok with showing the mech metrics (speed, total armor, total alpha firepower, etc) and weapons, but I don't think we should see what kind of an engine it is beyond speed, or where ammo is stored, or how much armor they have on their backs. Keep some mystery.

#80 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 26 April 2018 - 01:29 PM

I'd say no. One of the most absorbing parts of MechWarrior is figuring out the perfect mech build for a proposed battle map. I joke and call it 'Rocket Science', but players get a lot of fun in the process of adding this and trimming that from a mech until the perfect build is revealed. If you just give that to them it's a road never traveled.

On the other hand, the salient parts of the mech builds are revealed as soon as you get the target info. Before that you get to see the mech when it drops for 2-3 seconds and during that time you can figure out what it is carrying from the weapon visuals. That's when I formulate my attack tactics. In those 3 seconds.

So summing it up, isn't not knowing what your opponent is bringing actually, 'sauce for the goose'? The mystery builds the tension.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users